[Wikimedia-l] 1 week reminder: Wikimania 2014 – Call for Submissions

[Wikimedia-l] 1 week reminder: Wikimania 2014 – Call for Submissions

James Forrester-2
On 2 January 2014 04:24, James Forrester <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Everyone,
>
> I would like to invite submissions[0] proposing presentations, panels,
> tutorials and workshops for Wikimania 2014 in London this coming August.
>
> Note that the deadline is the end of March; we hope to have final
> decisions about the programme by the end of April.

[0] – https://wikimania2014.wikimedia.org/wiki/Submissions

All,

A reminder that this deadline is just over *one week away* – by the end of
31 March.

Note that a complete submission is required, including an abstract of 300
words or more that explains to the Programme Committee why you think your
proposal should be accepted over others.

(For the curious, we will accept submissions up to 23:59 UTC−12:00 on 31
March 2014, which is 11:59 UTC on 1 April 2014, but not later.)

Yours,
--
James D. Forrester
Chair, Programme Committee

[hidden email]
[[Wikipedia:User:Jdforrester|James F.]] (speaking purely in a personal
capacity)

Re: [Wikimedia-l] 1 week reminder: Wikimania 2014 – Call for Submissions

Marc-Andre
On 03/23/2014 05:06 PM, James Forrester wrote:
> Note that a complete submission is required, including an abstract of 300
> words or more that explains to the Programme Committee why you think your
> proposal should be accepted over others.

I must admit that requirement gives me pause, James.  I've yet to meet a
conference where they didn't place a strict /maximum/ length to
abstracts, usually at some point below 250 words(!)

Honestly, if you need 300 words to summarize a presentation that is
meant to occupy less than 30 minutes, your doing either abstract or
presentation wrong!  :-)

-- Marc

Re: [Wikimedia-l] 1 week reminder: Wikimania 2014 – Call for Submissions

Amir E. Aharoni
I agree with Marc.

I edited the brochure for Wikimania 2011 and I spent a lot of time making
the abstracts *shorter*. Unless somebody plans to publish a Wikimania
proceedings book of at least a 100 pages, the abstracts should be *no more*
than 200 words or so. When it is *no less* than 300 words, the whole
presentation can be replaced by it.

Is this really a hard requirement?

http://aharoni.wordpress.com
‪“We're living in pieces,
I want to live in peace.” – T. Moore‬

> On 03/23/2014 05:06 PM, James Forrester wrote:
> > Note that a complete submission is required, including an abstract of 300
> > words or more that explains to the Programme Committee why you think your
> > proposal should be accepted over others.
>
> I must admit that requirement gives me pause, James.  I've yet to meet a
> conference where they didn't place a strict /maximum/ length to
> abstracts, usually at some point below 250 words(!)
>
> Honestly, if you need 300 words to summarize a presentation that is
> meant to occupy less than 30 minutes, your doing either abstract or
> presentation wrong!  :-)
>
> -- Marc

Re: [Wikimedia-l] 1 week reminder: Wikimania 2014 – Call for Submissions

Cristian Consonni
Hi all,

I am probably missing some page somewhere but I would really like to
know if there is adescription of the different formats for the
presentations/submission, i.e. discussion, hot seat, panel,
presentation, tutorial, workshop.

In particular, what is the "hot seat" format?
(besides that being August in London it will probably be "muggy seat" =P)

Thanks,

Cristian

Re: [Wikimedia-l] 1 week reminder: Wikimania 2014 - Call for Submissions

Tomasz Ganicz
I guess it is just a Q&A session with someone ready to answer
potentially difficult questions from the audience :-)

> Hi all,
>
> I am probably missing some page somewhere but I would really like to
> know if there is adescription of the different formats for the
> presentations/submission, i.e. discussion, hot seat, panel,
> presentation, tutorial, workshop.
>
> In particular, what is the "hot seat" format?
> (besides that being August in London it will probably be "muggy seat" =P)
>
> Thanks,
>
> Cristian

Tomek "Polimerek" Ganicz
http://www.ganicz.pl/poli/

Re: [Wikimedia-l] 1 week reminder: Wikimania 2014 - Call for Submissions

Cristian Consonni
> I guess it is just a Q&A session with someone ready to answer
> potentially difficult questions from the audience :-)

Ok Tomasz, thanks!

Re: [Wikimedia-l] 1 week reminder: Wikimania 2014 – Call for Submissions

Federico Leva (Nemo)
Cristian Consonni, 31/03/2014 11:38:

Iolanda made https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania/Sessions ;)

> In particular, what is the "hot seat" format?

Maybe Polimerek could also document the answer on wiki. ;)

Nemo