[Wikimedia-l] $20 donation to WMF for vandalism edit from US House of Representatives

[Wikimedia-l] $20 donation to WMF for vandalism edit from US House of Representatives

Russavia
On 23 July John Resig tweeted a challenge,[1]

"I will donate $20 to a charity if someone can land an edit to
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reptilians  or
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_World_Order_(conspiracy_theory) … in
@congressedits"

Sure enough, someone took up Resig's challenge with this edit.[2]
Keeping with his challenge, Resig announced that $20 had been donated
to the WMF for the edit.[3]

The IP used for the edit, sure enough, resolves to the US House of
Representative.[4]

To make matters a little worse, the US House of Representatives IP has
taken to vandalising the Russian Wikipedia article for the Russian
national anthem,[5] replacing sheet music for the anthem with the
sheet music for Putin -- khuilo (Putin is a dickhead).[6]

Question to the masses, should the WMF refund the $20 donation made to it?

Russavia

[1] http://www.webcitation.org/6RTt5jM9U
[2] https://twitter.com/congressedits/status/492027099499462657
[3] http://www.webcitation.org/6RTtO0JMP
[4] http://whatismyipaddress.com/ip/143.231.249.138
[5] https://ru.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=%D0%93%D0%B8%D0%BC%D0%BD_%D0%A0%D0%BE%D1%81%D1%81%D0%B8%D0%B8&diff=64532570&oldid=63573625
[6] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Putin_khuilo!

Re: [Wikimedia-l] $20 donation to WMF for vandalism edit from US House of Representatives

Newyorkbrad (Wikipedia)
The activity you describe is obviously unacceptable.  However, the amount
of time and effort that out associated with tracking down and returning a
particular $20 contribution would not be worth it.

Newyorkbrad

On Thu, Jul 31, 2014 at 12:06 PM, Russavia <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On 23 July John Resig tweeted a challenge,[1]
>
> "I will donate $20 to a charity if someone can land an edit to
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reptilians  or
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_World_Order_(conspiracy_theory) … in
> @congressedits"
>
> Sure enough, someone took up Resig's challenge with this edit.[2]
> Keeping with his challenge, Resig announced that $20 had been donated
> to the WMF for the edit.[3]
>
> The IP used for the edit, sure enough, resolves to the US House of
> Representative.[4]
>
> To make matters a little worse, the US House of Representatives IP has
> taken to vandalising the Russian Wikipedia article for the Russian
> national anthem,[5] replacing sheet music for the anthem with the
> sheet music for Putin -- khuilo (Putin is a dickhead).[6]
>
> Question to the masses, should the WMF refund the $20 donation made to it?
>
> Russavia
>
> [1] http://www.webcitation.org/6RTt5jM9U
> [2] https://twitter.com/congressedits/status/492027099499462657
> [3] http://www.webcitation.org/6RTtO0JMP
> [4] http://whatismyipaddress.com/ip/143.231.249.138
> [5]
> https://ru.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=%D0%93%D0%B8%D0%BC%D0%BD_%D0%A0%D0%BE%D1%81%D1%81%D0%B8%D0%B8&diff=64532570&oldid=63573625
> [6] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Putin_khuilo!

Re: [Wikimedia-l] $20 donation to WMF for vandalism edit from US House of Representatives

Federico Leva (Nemo)
Was this paid-by-proxy contribution accompanied by disclosure?

Nemo

Re: [Wikimedia-l] $20 donation to WMF for vandalism edit from US House of Representatives

Nathan Awrich
wrote:

> To make matters a little worse, the US House of Representatives IP has
> taken to vandalising the Russian Wikipedia article for the Russian
> national anthem,[5] replacing sheet music for the anthem with the
> sheet music for Putin -- khuilo (Putin is a dickhead).[6]
>
> Question to the masses, should the WMF refund the $20 donation made to it?
>
> Russavia
>
> [1] http://www.webcitation.org/6RTt5jM9U
> [2] https://twitter.com/congressedits/status/492027099499462657
> [3] http://www.webcitation.org/6RTtO0JMP
> [4] http://whatismyipaddress.com/ip/143.231.249.138
> [5]
> https://ru.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=%D0%93%D0%B8%D0%BC%D0%BD_%D0%A0%D0%BE%D1%81%D1%81%D0%B8%D0%B8&diff=64532570&oldid=63573625
> [6] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Putin_khuilo!

Even more worse, the Kremlin is using the English Wikipedia to support a
misinformation campaign around the shoot down of MH17 by Russian
separatists in Ukraine.[1] Thankfully we have these new watchdog Twitter
bots to spot interference by unsophisticated government actors, of both the
playfully harmless and the dangerously harmful varieties.

1:
http://gawker.com/did-russian-officials-edit-wikipedia-to-back-up-a-bogus-1609071757

On Fri, Aug 1, 2014 at 12:23 AM, Newyorkbrad <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The activity you describe is obviously unacceptable.  However, the amount
> of time and effort that out associated with tracking down and returning a
> particular $20 contribution would not be worth it.
>
> Newyorkbrad

Newyorkbrad, it wouldn't be all that difficult, given that the
person's name is known, it was clearly done with Paypal, we have the
date the donation was made, etc, etc.

Furthermore, as the WMF have publicly spoken on these edits,[1] it
would be amiss to condemn the edits but not disavow donations made as
part of those edits.

The WMF should be refunding the donation.

> Even more worse, the Kremlin is using the English Wikipedia to support a
> misinformation campaign around the shoot down of MH17 by Russian
> separatists in Ukraine.[1] Thankfully we have these new watchdog Twitter
> bots to spot interference by unsophisticated government actors, of both the
> playfully harmless and the dangerously harmful varieties.

Nathan, it is fantastic that Jen Psaki wishes to engage with the
Wikimedia community, but could you please in future ask her to send
her brainfarts from her own account. :)

Cheers

Scotty

[1] http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2014/07/24/wikipedia-blocks-anonymous-edits-and-trolling-from-a-congressional-ip-address/

Re: [Wikimedia-l] $20 donation to WMF for vandalism edit from US House of Representatives

Lisa Gruwell
We do not see any donations from anyone by that name.

Best,
Lisa Gruwell

On Fri, Aug 1, 2014 at 5:52 AM, Russavia <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 1, 2014 at 12:23 AM, Newyorkbrad <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > The activity you describe is obviously unacceptable.  However, the amount
> > of time and effort that out associated with tracking down and returning a
> > particular $20 contribution would not be worth it.
> >
> > Newyorkbrad
>
> Newyorkbrad, it wouldn't be all that difficult, given that the
> person's name is known, it was clearly done with Paypal, we have the
> date the donation was made, etc, etc.
>
> Furthermore, as the WMF have publicly spoken on these edits,[1] it
> would be amiss to condemn the edits but not disavow donations made as
> part of those edits.
>
> The WMF should be refunding the donation.
>
> > Even more worse, the Kremlin is using the English Wikipedia to support a
> > misinformation campaign around the shoot down of MH17 by Russian
> > separatists in Ukraine.[1] Thankfully we have these new watchdog Twitter
> > bots to spot interference by unsophisticated government actors, of both
> the
> > playfully harmless and the dangerously harmful varieties.
>
> Nathan, it is fantastic that Jen Psaki wishes to engage with the
> Wikimedia community, but could you please in future ask her to send
> her brainfarts from her own account. :)
>
> Cheers
>
> Scotty
>

> [1]
> http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2014/07/24/wikipedia-blocks-anonymous-edits-and-trolling-from-a-congressional-ip-address/

Re: [Wikimedia-l] $20 donation to WMF for vandalism edit from US House of Representatives

Dennis Pierri
;O we get vandalized and he doesn't stick to his word of donating? Some people are just mean.

On 01/08/2014, at 10:10, Lisa Gruwell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We do not see any donations from anyone by that name.
>
> Best,
> Lisa Gruwell
>

> On Fri, Aug 1, 2014 at 5:52 AM, Russavia <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Aug 1, 2014 at 12:23 AM, Newyorkbrad <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>> The activity you describe is obviously unacceptable.  However, the amount
>>> of time and effort that out associated with tracking down and returning a
>>> particular $20 contribution would not be worth it.
>>>
>>> Newyorkbrad
>>
>> Newyorkbrad, it wouldn't be all that difficult, given that the
>> person's name is known, it was clearly done with Paypal, we have the
>> date the donation was made, etc, etc.
>>
>> Furthermore, as the WMF have publicly spoken on these edits,[1] it
>> would be amiss to condemn the edits but not disavow donations made as
>> part of those edits.
>>
>> The WMF should be refunding the donation.
>>
>>> Even more worse, the Kremlin is using the English Wikipedia to support a
>>> misinformation campaign around the shoot down of MH17 by Russian
>>> separatists in Ukraine.[1] Thankfully we have these new watchdog Twitter
>>> bots to spot interference by unsophisticated government actors, of both
>> the
>>> playfully harmless and the dangerously harmful varieties.
>>
>> Nathan, it is fantastic that Jen Psaki wishes to engage with the
>> Wikimedia community, but could you please in future ask her to send
>> her brainfarts from her own account. :)
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Scotty
>>

>> [1]
>> http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2014/07/24/wikipedia-blocks-anonymous-edits-and-trolling-from-a-congressional-ip-address/

Re: [Wikimedia-l] $20 donation to WMF for vandalism edit from US House of Representatives

Richard Symonds-3
He may have donated under a pseudonym, or by cheque, or to a chapter, or
through a friend. Very tricky to track down.
On 1 Aug 2014 17:42, "Dennis Pierri" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> ;O we get vandalized and he doesn't stick to his word of donating? Some
> people are just mean.
>
> On 01/08/2014, at 10:10, Lisa Gruwell <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > We do not see any donations from anyone by that name.
> >
> > Best,
> > Lisa Gruwell
> >

> > On Fri, Aug 1, 2014 at 5:52 AM, Russavia <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:

> amount
> returning a

> >> Newyorkbrad, it wouldn't be all that difficult, given that the
> >> person's name is known, it was clearly done with Paypal, we have the
> >> date the donation was made, etc, etc.
> >>
> >> Furthermore, as the WMF have publicly spoken on these edits,[1] it
> >> would be amiss to condemn the edits but not disavow donations made as
> >> part of those edits.
> >>
> >> The WMF should be refunding the donation.

> Twitter
> >> the
> >>
> >> Nathan, it is fantastic that Jen Psaki wishes to engage with the
> >> Wikimedia community, but could you please in future ask her to send
> >> her brainfarts from her own account. :)
> >>
> >> Cheers
> >>
> >> Scotty
> >>

> >> [1]
> >>
> http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2014/07/24/wikipedia-blocks-anonymous-edits-and-trolling-from-a-congressional-ip-address/

Re: [Wikimedia-l] $20 donation to WMF for vandalism edit from US House of Representatives

Rjd0060 -
On Fri, Aug 1, 2014 at 2:49 PM, Richard Symonds <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> He may have donated under a pseudonym, or by cheque, or to a chapter, or
> through a friend. Very tricky to track down.

Or...the US NSA hacked into the Foundation's donor database and removed it
to contribute to the conspiracy.

Jeez guys - stop beating the horse.  It's never was alive to begin with.

--

Ryan
User:Rjd0060

Re: [Wikimedia-l] $20 donation to WMF for vandalism edit from US House of Representatives

Everton Zanella Alvarenga-4
The time a staff or contractor will need to discover his donation or if he
has donated is more expensive than 20 USD.

Ask him better donations, revert the vandalism and don't give the money
back, using it for some useful thing, like improving anti-vandalism tools.

> On Fri, Aug 1, 2014 at 2:49 PM, Richard Symonds <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > He may have donated under a pseudonym, or by cheque, or to a chapter, or
> > through a friend. Very tricky to track down.
> >

> Or...the US NSA hacked into the Foundation's donor database and removed it
> to contribute to the conspiracy.
>
> Jeez guys - stop beating the horse.  It's never was alive to begin with.
>
> --
> Everton Zanella Alvarenga (also Tom)
> Open Knowledge Brasil - Rede pelo Conhecimento Livre
> http://br.okfn.org

Re: [Wikimedia-l] $20 donation to WMF for vandalism edit from US House of Representatives

Richard Symonds-3
+1, sorry, that was my point :-)
On 1 Aug 2014 20:10, "Rjd0060" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 1, 2014 at 2:49 PM, Richard Symonds <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > He may have donated under a pseudonym, or by cheque, or to a chapter, or
> > through a friend. Very tricky to track down.
> >

> Or...the US NSA hacked into the Foundation's donor database and removed it
> to contribute to the conspiracy.
>
> Jeez guys - stop beating the horse.  It's never was alive to begin with.
>

> --
>
> Ryan
> User:Rjd0060

Re: [Wikimedia-l] $20 donation to WMF for vandalism edit from US House of Representatives

Russavia
Hi Richard, et al

On Sat, Aug 2, 2014 at 2:49 AM, Richard Symonds
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> He may have donated under a pseudonym, or by cheque, or to a chapter, or
> through a friend. Very tricky to track down.

True, people can and do donate via such methods. I did so myself when
I donated the half proceeds from the sale of Pricasso's painting of
Jimmy Wales to the WMF.[1] I had a friend in the US donate by way of
cheque sent to the WMF offices so that it wouldn't be eaten up in
credit card and Paypal fees.

> Jeez guys - stop beating the horse.  It's never was alive to begin with.

Rjd0060, I'm not sure here, but are you saying that the guy didn't
actually donate the $20? If so, he publicly said he did, so it's best
not to say such things which could be misconstrued as you saying the
guy lied. Perhaps contact with him via Twitter might get an answer as
to how he actually donated.

Cheers

Russavia

[1] http://archive.today/L6OVn

Re: [Wikimedia-l] $20 donation to WMF for vandalism edit from US House of Representatives

Everton Zanella Alvarenga-4

> Rjd0060, I'm not sure here, but are you saying that the guy didn't
> actually donate the $20? If so, he publicly said he did, so it's best
> not to say such things which could be misconstrued as you saying the
> guy lied. Perhaps contact with him via Twitter might get an answer as
> to how he actually donated.

No. Richard said it was NSA fault, "the US NSA hacked into the Foundation's
donor database and removed it". I tend to believe on this as well. Instead
of improve anti-vandalism tools as suggested, we also could use the money
for improve WMF servers security.

--
Everton Zanella Alvarenga (also Tom)
Open Knowledge Brasil - Rede pelo Conhecimento Livre
http://br.okfn.org

Re: [Wikimedia-l] $20 donation to WMF for vandalism edit from US House of Representatives

Alternately, we could stop feeding an obvious troll.

On 1 August 2014 20:30, Russavia <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Richard, et al
>
> On Sat, Aug 2, 2014 at 2:49 AM, Richard Symonds
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> He may have donated under a pseudonym, or by cheque, or to a chapter, or
>> through a friend. Very tricky to track down.
>
> True, people can and do donate via such methods. I did so myself when
> I donated the half proceeds from the sale of Pricasso's painting of
> Jimmy Wales to the WMF.[1] I had a friend in the US donate by way of
> cheque sent to the WMF offices so that it wouldn't be eaten up in
> credit card and Paypal fees.
>
>> Jeez guys - stop beating the horse.  It's never was alive to begin with.
>
> Rjd0060, I'm not sure here, but are you saying that the guy didn't
> actually donate the $20? If so, he publicly said he did, so it's best
> not to say such things which could be misconstrued as you saying the
> guy lied. Perhaps contact with him via Twitter might get an answer as
> to how he actually donated.
>
> Cheers
>
> Russavia
>
> [1] http://archive.today/L6OVn

Re: [Wikimedia-l] $20 donation to WMF for vandalism edit from US House of Representatives

Rjd0060 -
On Fri, Aug 1, 2014 at 3:30 PM, Russavia <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> > Jeez guys - stop beating the horse.  It's never was alive to begin with.
>
> Rjd0060, I'm not sure here, but are you saying that the guy didn't
> actually donate the $20? If so, he publicly said he did, so it's best
> not to say such things which could be misconstrued as you saying the
> guy lied. Perhaps contact with him via Twitter might get an answer as
> to how he actually donated.
>
> Cheers
>
> Russavia

No, I'm saying this doesn't matter and people should get back to doing
whatever they feel is actually important.

Let it go.  It really does not matter.  AT ALL.

--

Ryan
User:Rjd0060

On Fri, Aug 1, 2014 at 3:42 PM, Rjd0060 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> No, I'm saying this doesn't matter and people should get back to doing
> whatever they feel is actually important.
>
> Let it go.  It really does not matter.  AT ALL.

I can't agree. It's clear that lives are at stake, not to mention our
international reputation and the livelihood of all employees as well as the
self-esteem of many thousands of contributors. This couldn't possibly be
more serious.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] $20 donation to WMF for vandalism edit from US House of Representatives

Thyge
To me, the only thing at stake is the seriousness of this list - and that
is not a new issue, unfortunately.
Regards,
Thyge /Sir48

On Fri, Aug 1, 2014 at 3:59 PM, Nathan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 1, 2014 at 3:42 PM, Rjd0060 <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >

> > No, I'm saying this doesn't matter and people should get back to doing
> > whatever they feel is actually important.
> >
> > Let it go.  It really does not matter.  AT ALL.
> >

> I can't agree. It's clear that lives are at stake, not to mention our
> international reputation and the livelihood of all employees as well as the
> self-esteem of many thousands of contributors. This couldn't possibly be
> more serious.

When you find yourself saying things like this, or you find yourself
agreeing to this kind of reasoning, perhaps it's time to take a step back
and look at the big picture.  We're editing a *website*.

Go outside and play.

--

Ryan
User:Rjd0060

On Fri, Aug 1, 2014 at 5:23 PM, Rjd0060 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 1, 2014 at 3:59 PM, Nathan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Aug 1, 2014 at 3:42 PM, Rjd0060 <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >

> > > No, I'm saying this doesn't matter and people should get back to doing
> > > whatever they feel is actually important.
> > >
> > > Let it go.  It really does not matter.  AT ALL.
> > >

> > I can't agree. It's clear that lives are at stake, not to mention our
> > international reputation and the livelihood of all employees as well as
> the
> > self-esteem of many thousands of contributors. This couldn't possibly be
> > more serious.
>

> When you find yourself saying things like this, or you find yourself
> agreeing to this kind of reasoning, perhaps it's time to take a step back
> and look at the big picture.  We're editing a *website*.
>
> Go outside and play.

I guess you can see now how its possible Russavia didn't get your joke :-P