[Wikimedia-l] 2013/2014 budget again (m/Oppenheim on YouTube)

[Wikimedia-l] 2013/2014 budget again (m/Oppenheim on YouTube)

Tomasz W. Kozlowski
Hi,
a couple of weeks ago, I noticed this interview given by Sue to
m/Oppenheim Associates <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gRqtx9-A0c>.

At 11:19 <http://youtu.be/4gRqtx9-A0c?t=11m19s> Sue mentions that in the
next year (2013/2014), the WMF is going to spend US$55 million.

Are there any documents that we as community members could read to see
what exactly will this money be spent on? And is mentioning budget plans
on YouTube now the preferred way of communication between the WMF and
its donors/community members?

        -- Tomasz

Re: [Wikimedia-l] 2013/2014 budget again (m/Oppenheim on YouTube)

metasj
Sue: can we share the one-page summary from the current draft?   SJ

On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 10:06 AM, Tomasz W. Kozlowski
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
> a couple of weeks ago, I noticed this interview given by Sue to m/Oppenheim
> Associates <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gRqtx9-A0c>.
>
> At 11:19 <http://youtu.be/4gRqtx9-A0c?t=11m19s> Sue mentions that in the
> next year (2013/2014), the WMF is going to spend US$55 million.
>
> Are there any documents that we as community members could read to see what
> exactly will this money be spent on? And is mentioning budget plans on
> YouTube now the preferred way of communication between the WMF and its
> donors/community members?
>
>         -- Tomasz

Re: [Wikimedia-l] 2013/2014 budget again (m/Oppenheim on YouTube)

Garfield Byrd
SJ:

As we may be very close to having a Board of Trustee approved budget, I
suggest we wait until we can release the full Annual Plan document on July
1, so that there is context for the Wikimedia Foundation spending plan for
FY 13-14.

Regards,

Garfield

On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 7:08 PM, Samuel Klein <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sue: can we share the one-page summary from the current draft?   SJ
>
> On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 10:06 AM, Tomasz W. Kozlowski
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi,
> > a couple of weeks ago, I noticed this interview given by Sue to
> m/Oppenheim
> > Associates <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gRqtx9-A0c>.
> >
> > At 11:19 <http://youtu.be/4gRqtx9-A0c?t=11m19s> Sue mentions that in the
> > next year (2013/2014), the WMF is going to spend US$55 million.
> >
> > Are there any documents that we as community members could read to see
> what
> > exactly will this money be spent on? And is mentioning budget plans on
> > YouTube now the preferred way of communication between the WMF and its
> > donors/community members?
> >
> >         -- Tomasz

> Samuel Klein          @metasj           w:user:sj          +1 617 529 4266

Garfield Byrd
Chief of Finance and Administration
Wikimedia Foundation
415.839.6885 ext 6787
415.882.0495 (fax)
www.wikimediafoundation.org

the sum of all knowledge. Help us make it a reality!

*https://donate.wikimedia.org*

On June 19, Garfield Byrd wrote:

> As we may be very close to having a Board of Trustee approved budget, I
> suggest we wait until we can release the full Annual Plan document on July
> 1, so that there is context for the Wikimedia Foundation spending plan for
> FY 13-14.

It's July 3 (UTC), but don't worry, we can wait a month as usual after a
resolution is published to see what it's really about[1].

== References ==
* [1]
<https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Resolution:2013-2014_Annual_Plan>

        -- Tomasz

Re: [Wikimedia-l] 2013/2014 budget again (m/Oppenheim on YouTube)

Itzik Edri
Garfield. any new with releasing the AP?

Itzik

On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 3:08 AM, Garfield Byrd <[hidden email]> wrote:

> SJ:
>
> As we may be very close to having a Board of Trustee approved budget, I
> suggest we wait until we can release the full Annual Plan document on July
> 1, so that there is context for the Wikimedia Foundation spending plan for
> FY 13-14.
>
> Regards,
>
> Garfield
>

> On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 7:08 PM, Samuel Klein <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Sue: can we share the one-page summary from the current draft?   SJ
> >
> > On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 10:06 AM, Tomasz W. Kozlowski
> > <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > > a couple of weeks ago, I noticed this interview given by Sue to
> > m/Oppenheim
> > > Associates <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gRqtx9-A0c>.
> > >
> > > At 11:19 <http://youtu.be/4gRqtx9-A0c?t=11m19s> Sue mentions that in
> the
> > > next year (2013/2014), the WMF is going to spend US$55 million.
> > >
> > > Are there any documents that we as community members could read to see
> > what
> > > exactly will this money be spent on? And is mentioning budget plans on
> > > YouTube now the preferred way of communication between the WMF and its
> > > donors/community members?
> > >
> > >         -- Tomasz

> > Samuel Klein          @metasj           w:user:sj          +1 617 529
> 4266

> Garfield Byrd
> Chief of Finance and Administration
> Wikimedia Foundation
> 415.839.6885 ext 6787
> 415.882.0495 (fax)
> www.wikimediafoundation.org
>
> Imagine a world in which every single human being can freely share in
> the sum of all knowledge. Help us make it a reality!
>
> *https://donate.wikimedia.org*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] 2013/2014 budget again (m/Oppenheim on YouTube)

Samuel Klein-4
On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 8:08 PM, Garfield Byrd <[hidden email]> wrote:
> SJ:
>
> As we may be very close to having a Board of Trustee approved budget, I
> suggest we wait until we can release the full Annual Plan document on July
> 1, so that there is context for the Wikimedia Foundation spending plan for
> FY 13-14.

Garfield,

This makes sense, since we started discussing the publishing process
late in this annual cycle.

I agree that we should publish a version of the final Plan as soon as
it has been approved.  We can do this even if there are minor
proofreading or formatting edits being made: publishing the exact
version that the Board approved, and updating it if necessary.

Next year, I think it would be also useful to publish a one-page
summary of the projected plan, after the Board discusses it in April.
This would relieve uncertainty and would be in line with the more
public plan-drafting that we recommend for chapters.

@Itzik and Tomasz: In previous years, final proofreading and
formatting has been done after the plan is approved; this has usually
taken ~2 weeks after the start of the fiscal year, before the plan is
published.  I believe the same is happening this year.  I hope that we
can adopt a more fluid publishing schedule in the coming year.

Sam.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] 2013/2014 budget again (m/Oppenheim on YouTube)

Garfield Byrd
Hello:

It should be posted early this week.

I am sorry about the delay,  the Q & A needed some additional edits.

Regards,

Garfield