[Wikimedia-l] 2014-15 Wikimedia Fundraising Report

[Wikimedia-l] 2014-15 Wikimedia Fundraising Report

Megan Hernandez
Hi everyone,

The fundraising team is happy to share the report on the 2014-15 fiscal
year fundraising.  Please take a look at the report
<https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/2014-2015_Fundraising_Report> and we
look forward to your feedback on the report talk page
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Fundraising/2014-15_Report>.

Thank you to Wikimedia volunteers, readers, donors, staff and fundraising
team for making this the most successful year yet.

Megan Hernandez

--

Megan Hernandez

Director of Online Fundraising

Re: [Wikimedia-l] 2014-15 Wikimedia Fundraising Report

Steinsplitter Wiki
75 million. WMF has now enough money for how much years? So we don't need Fundraising next year?

> Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2015 03:36:16 +0200
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: [Wikimedia-l] 2014-15 Wikimedia Fundraising Report
>
> Hi everyone,
>
> The fundraising team is happy to share the report on the 2014-15 fiscal
> year fundraising.  Please take a look at the report
> <https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/2014-2015_Fundraising_Report> and we
> look forward to your feedback on the report talk page
> <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Fundraising/2014-15_Report>.
>
> Thank you to Wikimedia volunteers, readers, donors, staff and fundraising
> team for making this the most successful year yet.
>
> Megan Hernandez
>
> --
>
> Megan Hernandez
>
> Director of Online Fundraising
> Wikimedia Foundation

Re: [Wikimedia-l] 2014-15 Wikimedia Fundraising Report

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
Actually no. As you might know, the WMF wants an endowment fund for leaner
times.
Thanks,
     GerardM

On 1 October 2015 at 08:00, Steinsplitter Wiki <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> 75 million. WMF has now enough money for how much years? So we don't need
> Fundraising next year?
>
> > Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2015 03:36:16 +0200
> > From: [hidden email]
> > To: [hidden email]
> > Subject: [Wikimedia-l] 2014-15 Wikimedia Fundraising Report
> >
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > The fundraising team is happy to share the report on the 2014-15 fiscal
> > year fundraising.  Please take a look at the report
> > <https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/2014-2015_Fundraising_Report> and
> we
> > look forward to your feedback on the report talk page
> > <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Fundraising/2014-15_Report>.
> >
> > Thank you to Wikimedia volunteers, readers, donors, staff and fundraising
> > team for making this the most successful year yet.
> >
> > Megan Hernandez
> >
> > --
> >
> > Megan Hernandez
> >
> > Director of Online Fundraising
> > Wikimedia Foundation

Re: [Wikimedia-l] 2014-15 Wikimedia Fundraising Report

Rodrigo Padula-2
Excellent report!

I'm really impressed with the low level of donations from Latina America.

We need to do something to stimulate people to contribute a little bit more
to our mission.

During the first two weeks of the campaign in Brasil, I received a lot of
messages from friends requesting information about the Wikipedia banners
asking for donations, a lot of people thought that it was spam, spyware or
something fake. So, I guess the low level of donations from Brasil
(specially) can be linked with that issue.

In August I started a local effort talking to some journalists regarding
the importance of the donations to our movement.

I contacted some of our contacts to spread it, and many posts was published
here regarding the fund-raising campaign, with a really good impact.

http://bit.blog.br/wikipedia-pede-doacoes-para-ajudar-a-manter-site-no-ar/
( interview replicated on twitter and facebook of
http://diariodepernambuco.com.br/ to more than 800.000 followers)

http://www.gazetadopovo.com.br/vida-e-cidadania/wikipedia-comeca-nova-campanha-de-doacoes-para-manter-site-funcionando-cdlzioae60haolfoz3l6ohm1c

http://www.tecmundo.com.br/wikipedia/84931-wikipedia-volta-pedir-doacoes-leitores-manter-ar.htm

http://www1.folha.uol.com.br/tec/2015/08/1670681-wikipedia-comeca-nova-campanha-de-doacoes-para-manter-site-funcionando.shtml

http://g1.globo.com/tecnologia/noticia/2015/08/wikipedia-pede-doacoes-para-se-manter-independente.html

What we can do to help to improve the local level of donations? I'm really
interested to help with that problem here and our user group can spend some
time on it, for sure it is something that need some attention.

How can I get more information about the donations from Brasil, mainly to
identify if after the news published by the local media it improved(or not)
the level of donations?

There are any way to track it?

Best regards

Rodrigo Padula
Project Manager / User Group Coordinator
Wikimedia Brazilian Community User Group of Education and Research
http://www.wikimedia.org.br

> Hi everyone,
>
> The fundraising team is happy to share the report on the 2014-15 fiscal
> year fundraising.  Please take a look at the report
> <https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/2014-2015_Fundraising_Report> and we
> look forward to your feedback on the report talk page
> <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Fundraising/2014-15_Report>.
>
> Thank you to Wikimedia volunteers, readers, donors, staff and fundraising
> team for making this the most successful year yet.
>
> Megan Hernandez
>
> --
>
> Megan Hernandez
>
> Director of Online Fundraising
> Wikimedia Foundation

Re: [Wikimedia-l] 2014-15 Wikimedia Fundraising Report

Megan Hernandez
Hi Rodrigo,

Thank you for the question and for all your help with the latest Brazil
campaign!  I've copied your question over to the talk page and replied
there to keep track of the comments together in one spot.

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Fundraising/2014-15_Report#Latin_America_Question

Thanks!

Megan

On Wed, Sep 30, 2015 at 11:38 PM, Rodrigo Padula <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> http://www.wikimedia.org.br

> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > The fundraising team is happy to share the report on the 2014-15 fiscal
> > year fundraising.  Please take a look at the report
> > <https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/2014-2015_Fundraising_Report> and
> we
> > look forward to your feedback on the report talk page
> > <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Fundraising/2014-15_Report>.
> >
> > Thank you to Wikimedia volunteers, readers, donors, staff and fundraising
> > team for making this the most successful year yet.
> >
> > Megan Hernandez
> >
> > --
> >
> > Megan Hernandez
> >
> > Director of Online Fundraising
> > Wikimedia Foundation

Megan Hernandez

Director of Online Fundraising

Re: [Wikimedia-l] 2014-15 Wikimedia Fundraising Report

Balázs Viczián
Hi,

This job is pretty impressive, congratulations to the team :)

Is there a per country breakdown available somewhere?

Balázs

> [...]
> > > year fundraising.  Please take a look at the report
> > > <https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/2014-2015_Fundraising_Report>
> and
> > we
> > > look forward to your feedback on the report talk page
> > > <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Fundraising/2014-15_Report>.
> > >
> > > Thank you to Wikimedia volunteers, readers, donors, staff and
> fundraising
> > > team for making this the most successful year yet.
> > >
> > > Megan Hernandez
> > >
> > > --
> > >
> > > Megan Hernandez
> > >
> > > Director of Online Fundraising
> > > Wikimedia Foundation

> Megan Hernandez
>
> Director of Online Fundraising
> Wikimedia Foundation

Re: [Wikimedia-l] 2014-15 Wikimedia Fundraising Report

Andreas Kolbe-2
Megan,

As pointed out previously,[1] the Wikipedia Reader Survey mentioned in the
Fundraising Report didn't ask respondents to assess the urgency of the
fundraising message against the Foundation's actual financial situation (or
if they were asked, those results weren't reported). Several members of
this list had suggested this be done. It is disappointing that it wasn't.

One example banner shown in the report for example says:

"Wikipedia readers. We survive on donations. If everyone reading this gave
$3, we could keep it online and ad-free for another year."

As a number of people have told you, this type of banner message is widely
understood to signify that the Wikimedia Foundation lacks funds to keep
Wikipedia online without ad revenue for another year. But in fact, you took
enough money this year alone to keep Wikipedia and all other Wikimedia
projects online and ad-free until the year 2040, if you allocated the funds
received to that purpose.

On the suggestions page in Meta,[2] I proposed on September 1, 2015 that
you test a wording which, instead of telling people you need money to keep
Wikipedia online without ads, just told them "to take one minute to keep
our work going for another year".

That would be an honest message: you are doing a lot of work. Most of this
has nothing to do with keeping Wikipedia online and ad-free, but much of it
is valuable. Moreover, I and many others would like the Foundation to do
more in certain areas. I understand that doing stuff costs money. But
donors need to understand what their money is used for.

It took you four weeks to reply to my suggestion, only to tell me that the
version you tested still asked people for money "to keep it online and
growing". And you say that you don't have time to test anything else now.

So I am fully expecting that we will see messages of the "Wikipedia
readers. We survive on donations. If everyone reading this gave $3, we
could keep it online and ad-free for another year." type in two months'
time.

This is a shame. It is quite possible that readers would donate amply out
of generosity and gratitude, without having to be frightened with the
spectre of Wikipedia blinking out of existence.

If you told readers specifics about the Foundation's work, instead of the
platitudes contained in an out-of-date FAQ,[3] people might even be
inspired and enthused into donating.

To me, all of this reflects very, very poorly on the Foundation. There are
many different kinds of wealth. Money is a kind of wealth, integrity is
another. Long-term, the latter brings better rewards.

Andreas

[1]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wikipedia_Signpost/2015-03-18/Op-ed
[2]
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fundraising/2015-16_Fundraising_ideas#Banner_test_ideas

[3] https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/FAQ/en

On Fri, Oct 2, 2015 at 6:03 PM, Balázs Viczián <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> > > time on it, for sure it is something that need some attention.
> > >
> > > How can I get more information about the donations from Brasil, mainly
> > > identify if after the news published by the local media it improved(or
> > not)
> > > the level of donations?
> > >
> > > There are any way to track it?
> > >
> > > Best regards
> > >
> > > Rodrigo Padula
> > > Project Manager / User Group Coordinator
> > > Wikimedia Brazilian Community User Group of Education and Research
> > > http://www.wikimedia.org.br

> fiscal
> > and
> > > we

> > fundraising

> > Megan Hernandez
> >
> > Director of Online Fundraising
> > Wikimedia Foundation

Re: [Wikimedia-l] 2014-15 Wikimedia Fundraising Report

Pavel Richter-3
aalaaaaalaaa)4915119645755lalaasalllAalXaalalaaaalalallaa@)larval c a fax a
l a A ads alaLALAAALALALA

Ala freundlichen Grüßen / Kind km A ha l laalaaAa) AXA a regards a l all l
4915119645755lalaasalllAaalalalaalalalaLaalalalaalaaalaAlaalall,

Pavel Richter
Mobil: +4915119645755 AfA L all l a A LA ALL A ALL LN LB AS A u a laval
llaaLlallaaaallaalAALLALALAAa
Twitter: @pavel
Blog: blog.pavelrichter.de
Knall
Von meinem Handy aus verschickt / send from my mobile phone
Am 02.10.2015 19:03 schrieb "Balázs Viczián" <[hidden email]>:

> [...]
> > > time on it, for sure it is something that need some attention.
> > >
> > > How can I get more information about the donations from Brasil, mainly
> > > identify if after the news published by the local media it improved(or
> > not)
> > > the level of donations?
> > >
> > > There are any way to track it?
> > >
> > > Best regards
> > >
> > > Rodrigo Padula
> > > Project Manager / User Group Coordinator
> > > Wikimedia Brazilian Community User Group of Education and Research
> > > http://www.wikimedia.org.br

> fiscal
> > and
> > > we

> > fundraising

> > Megan Hernandez
> >
> > Director of Online Fundraising
> > Wikimedia Foundation

Re: [Wikimedia-l] 2014-15 Wikimedia Fundraising Report

Yes you guessed it, my phone acted weird. Sorry for that

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Kind regards,

Pavel Richter
Mobil: +4915119645755
Twitter: @pavel
Blog: blog.pavelrichter.de

Am 05.10.2015 22:17 schrieb "Pavel Richter" <[hidden email]>:

> aalaaaaalaaa)4915119645755lalaasalllAalXaalalaaaalalallaa@)larval c a fax
> a l a A ads alaLALAAALALALA
>
> Ala freundlichen Grüßen / Kind km A ha l laalaaAa) AXA a regards a l all l
> 4915119645755lalaasalllAaalalalaalalalaLaalalalaalaaalaAlaalall,
>
> Pavel Richter
> Mobil: +4915119645755 AfA L all l a A LA ALL A ALL LN LB AS A u a laval
> llaaLlallaaaallaalAALLALALAAa
> Twitter: @pavel
> Blog: blog.pavelrichter.de
> Knall
> Von meinem Handy aus verschickt / send from my mobile phone
> Am 02.10.2015 19:03 schrieb "Balázs Viczián" <[hidden email]
> >:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> This job is pretty impressive, congratulations to the team :)
>>
>> Is there a per country breakdown available somewhere?
>>
>> Balázs

>> > Hi Rodrigo,
>> >
>> > Thank you for the question and for all your help with the latest Brazil
>> > campaign!  I've copied your question over to the talk page and replied
>> > there to keep track of the comments together in one spot.
>> >

>> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Fundraising/2014-15_Report#Latin_America_Question
>> >
>> > Thanks!
>> >
>> > Megan
>> >
>> > On Wed, Sep 30, 2015 at 11:38 PM, Rodrigo Padula <
>> [hidden email]>

>> America.

>> > more

>> lot of
>> banners
>> spyware
>> > or

>> regarding

>> > published
>> > >

>> http://bit.blog.br/wikipedia-pede-doacoes-para-ajudar-a-manter-site-no-ar/
>> > >

>> http://www.gazetadopovo.com.br/vida-e-cidadania/wikipedia-comeca-nova-campanha-de-doacoes-para-manter-site-funcionando-cdlzioae60haolfoz3l6ohm1c
>> > >

>> http://www.tecmundo.com.br/wikipedia/84931-wikipedia-volta-pedir-doacoes-leitores-manter-ar.htm
>> > >

>> http://www1.folha.uol.com.br/tec/2015/08/1670681-wikipedia-comeca-nova-campanha-de-doacoes-para-manter-site-funcionando.shtml
>> > >

>> http://g1.globo.com/tecnologia/noticia/2015/08/wikipedia-pede-doacoes-para-se-manter-independente.html

>> > really
>> > some

>> mainly to
>> > not)

>> >:

>> fiscal
>> > and

>> > fundraising

>> > --
>> >
>> > Megan Hernandez
>> >
>> > Director of Online Fundraising
>> > Wikimedia Foundation

Re: [Wikimedia-l] 2014-15 Wikimedia Fundraising Report

Milos Rancic-2
Pavel, is everything alright with you? :P