[Wikimedia-l] 2015 Harassment Survey - Results Report

[Wikimedia-l] 2015 Harassment Survey - Results Report

Patrick Earley
Hello all,

The preliminary report of the results of the 2015 Harassment survey is now
available on Commons, as linked from Meta.[1]  This is the first version of
our analysis of the results, and while it is nearly completed, it will be
amended and updated within a week as we finish developing it. The data set
is large, involving sixteen languages with several free text questions, and
it has also been linked from the Meta page.

This information is an important factor in gaining a better understanding
of both the forms harassment takes and the impact it has on the Wikimedia
projects.  We welcome your feedback and impressions on the Research talk
page on Meta.[2]

We want to thank the many Wikimedia volunteers, academics, and Wikimedia
Foundation staff who helped prepare and translate the survey, and who gave
feedback on the report.

Best regards,

Patrick, for the Support and Safety team[3]

[1] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Harassment_survey_2015#Results

[2] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research_talk:Harassment_survey_2015

[3] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Support_and_Safety

--
Patrick Earley
Community Advocate

Re: [Wikimedia-l] 2015 Harassment Survey - Results Report

Lila Tretikov
Patrick,

Thank you for posting this -- excellent work done by our team and deep
engagement with the community. I encourage everyone to review as we
continue to assess best ways to support healthy and safe Wikimedia
environment for all our contributors and readers.

Lila

On Fri, Jan 29, 2016 at 1:20 PM, Patrick Earley <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> The preliminary report of the results of the 2015 Harassment survey is now
> available on Commons, as linked from Meta.[1]  This is the first version of
> our analysis of the results, and while it is nearly completed, it will be
> amended and updated within a week as we finish developing it. The data set
> is large, involving sixteen languages with several free text questions, and
> it has also been linked from the Meta page.
>
> This information is an important factor in gaining a better understanding
> of both the forms harassment takes and the impact it has on the Wikimedia
> projects.  We welcome your feedback and impressions on the Research talk
> page on Meta.[2]
>
> We want to thank the many Wikimedia volunteers, academics, and Wikimedia
> Foundation staff who helped prepare and translate the survey, and who gave
> feedback on the report.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Patrick, for the Support and Safety team[3]
>

> [1]
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Harassment_survey_2015#Results
>
> [2] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research_talk:Harassment_survey_2015
>
> [3] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Support_and_Safety
>
> --
> Patrick Earley
> Community Advocate
> Wikimedia Foundation
> [hidden email]
> (1) 415 975 1874

Lila Tretikov
Wikimedia Foundation

*“Be bold and mighty forces will come to your aid.”*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] 2015 Harassment Survey - Results Report

SarahSV
Patrick, I also want to thank you and the team for having done this work.
It's extremely interesting and informative, and I think it will be very
helpful moving forward.

Sarah

On Fri, Jan 29, 2016 at 4:17 PM, Lila Tretikov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Patrick,
>
> Thank you for posting this -- excellent work done by our team and deep
> engagement with the community. I encourage everyone to review as we
> continue to assess best ways to support healthy and safe Wikimedia
> environment for all our contributors and readers.
>
> Lila
>
> On Fri, Jan 29, 2016 at 1:20 PM, Patrick Earley <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hello all,
> >
> > The preliminary report of the results of the 2015 Harassment survey is
> now
> > available on Commons, as linked from Meta.[1]  This is the first version
> of
> > our analysis of the results, and while it is nearly completed, it will be
> > amended and updated within a week as we finish developing it. The data
> set
> > is large, involving sixteen languages with several free text questions,
> and
> > it has also been linked from the Meta page.
> >
> > This information is an important factor in gaining a better understanding
> > of both the forms harassment takes and the impact it has on the Wikimedia
> > projects.  We welcome your feedback and impressions on the Research talk
> > page on Meta.[2]
> >
> > We want to thank the many Wikimedia volunteers, academics, and Wikimedia
> > Foundation staff who helped prepare and translate the survey, and who
> gave
> > feedback on the report.
> >
> > Best regards,
> >
> > Patrick, for the Support and Safety team[3]
> >

> > [1]
> > https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Harassment_survey_2015#Results
> >
> > [2] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research_talk:Harassment_survey_2015
> >
> > [3] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Support_and_Safety
> >
> > --
> > Patrick Earley
> > Community Advocate
> > Wikimedia Foundation
> > [hidden email]
> > (1) 415 975 1874

> Lila Tretikov
> Wikimedia Foundation
>
> *“Be bold and mighty forces will come to your aid.”*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] 2015 Harassment Survey - Results Report

Sam Klein
Thanks Patrick, a wonderful first step.

For future updates, I hope you can find ways to add data from automated
analysis of interactions, like the League of Legends example Toby shared a
few months back.

Sam

On Fri, Jan 29, 2016 at 4:20 PM, Patrick Earley <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> The preliminary report of the results of the 2015 Harassment survey is now
> available on Commons, as linked from Meta.[1]  This is the first version of
> our analysis of the results, and while it is nearly completed, it will be
> amended and updated within a week as we finish developing it. The data set
> is large, involving sixteen languages with several free text questions, and
> it has also been linked from the Meta page.
>
> This information is an important factor in gaining a better understanding
> of both the forms harassment takes and the impact it has on the Wikimedia
> projects.  We welcome your feedback and impressions on the Research talk
> page on Meta.[2]
>
> We want to thank the many Wikimedia volunteers, academics, and Wikimedia
> Foundation staff who helped prepare and translate the survey, and who gave
> feedback on the report.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Patrick, for the Support and Safety team[3]
>

> [1]
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Harassment_survey_2015#Results
>
> [2] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research_talk:Harassment_survey_2015
>
> [3] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Support_and_Safety
>
> --
> Patrick Earley
> Community Advocate
> Wikimedia Foundation
> [hidden email]
> (1) 415 975 1874

Samuel Klein          @metasj          w:user:sj          +1 617 529 4266

Re: [Wikimedia-l] 2015 Harassment Survey - Results Report

Tobias
Thank you Patrick.

The (preliminary) report is in my mind deeply disturbing, not merely by
how widespread harassment is, but also by what types of harassment
respondents cite.

User page vandalism and flaming I would have expected, but around 35% of
respondents in our community* apparently were subject to Outing, Threats
of Violence, Impersonation and Hacking.

Almost one third (!) of the respondents were themselves the subject of
revenge porn, defined by the survey as: "publishing of sexually explicit
or sexualised photos of without one's consent".

Wait, what? How could that possibly be...?

Either a substantial number of respondents did not answer truthfully, or
they didn't understand the question, or I really have no clue what's
going on in this community.

Tobias

* I multiplied the percentage of responses (~65%) with the number of
users who were asked this question because they reported they'd been
harassed or maybe harassed (54%).

Re: [Wikimedia-l] 2015 Harassment Survey - Results Report

Maggie Dennis
Hi, Tobias.

In the time I've worked at the Wikimedia Foundation, I have
(unsurprisingly, given its reported prevalence) come across this kind of
harassment in my work with Support and Safety (formerly Community
Advocacy). There have been cases where perfectly harmless pictures of the
individuals have been doctored to be sexualized and cases where existing
pornographic pictures that were not the individual were selected and
misattributed as being them. I have personally been involved in complaints
of this happening to both men and women.

Best,

Maggie

On Sat, Jan 30, 2016 at 8:14 AM, Tobias <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Thank you Patrick.
>
> The (preliminary) report is in my mind deeply disturbing, not merely by
> how widespread harassment is, but also by what types of harassment
> respondents cite.
>
> User page vandalism and flaming I would have expected, but around 35% of
> respondents in our community* apparently were subject to Outing, Threats
> of Violence, Impersonation and Hacking.
>
> Almost one third (!) of the respondents were themselves the subject of
> revenge porn, defined by the survey as: "publishing of sexually explicit
> or sexualised photos of without one's consent".
>

> Wait, what? How could that possibly be...?
>
> Either a substantial number of respondents did not answer truthfully, or
> they didn't understand the question, or I really have no clue what's
> going on in this community.
>

> Tobias
>
> * I multiplied the percentage of responses (~65%) with the number of
> users who were asked this question because they reported they'd been
> harassed or maybe harassed (54%).

Maggie Dennis
Director, Support and Safety
Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] 2015 Harassment Survey - Results Report

Tobias
Hi Maggie,

On 01/30/2016 02:35 PM, Maggie Dennis wrote:
> In the time I've worked at the Wikimedia Foundation, I have
> (unsurprisingly, given its reported prevalence) come across this kind of
> harassment in my work with Support and Safety (formerly Community
> Advocacy). There have been cases where perfectly harmless pictures of the
> individuals have been doctored to be sexualized and cases where existing
> pornographic pictures that were not the individual were selected and
> misattributed as being them. I have personally been involved in complaints
> of this happening to both men and women.

thank you for providing further insights. That is really concerning.

At the same time, a great majority of users do not publish photos of
themselves, and don't publish their name (which would allow others to
find available photos elsewhere), so it is still a mystery to me how
this very high percentage can be explained.

Tobias

Re: [Wikimedia-l] 2015 Harassment Survey - Results Report

Andy Mabbett-2
On 30 January 2016 at 13:14, Tobias <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Almost one third (!) of the respondents were themselves the subject of
> revenge porn, defined by the survey as: "publishing of sexually explicit
> or sexualised photos of without one's consent".
>

> Wait, what? How could that possibly be...?
>
> Either a substantial number of respondents did not answer truthfully, or
> they didn't understand the question, or I really have no clue what's
> going on in this community.

Possibly an artefact of a self-selecting audience.

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing

Re: [Wikimedia-l] 2015 Harassment Survey - Results Report

Philippe Beaudette-4
Maggie gave the answer:  "and cases where existing
pornographic pictures that were not the individual were selected and
misattributed as being them."

It isn't dependent on an actual published photo. You can take any old photo, slap "Philippe beau fete" on it, and run with it. (You CAN....but please don't.)

--
Philippe Beaudette
[hidden email]

> On Jan 30, 2016, at 5:47 AM, Tobias <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Maggie,
>
>> On 01/30/2016 02:35 PM, Maggie Dennis wrote:
>> In the time I've worked at the Wikimedia Foundation, I have
>> (unsurprisingly, given its reported prevalence) come across this kind of
>> harassment in my work with Support and Safety (formerly Community
>> Advocacy). There have been cases where perfectly harmless pictures of the
>> individuals have been doctored to be sexualized and cases where existing
>> pornographic pictures that were not the individual were selected and
>> misattributed as being them. I have personally been involved in complaints
>> of this happening to both men and women.
>
> thank you for providing further insights. That is really concerning.
>
> At the same time, a great majority of users do not publish photos of
> themselves, and don't publish their name (which would allow others to
> find available photos elsewhere), so it is still a mystery to me how
> this very high percentage can be explained.
>
> Tobias

Re: [Wikimedia-l] 2015 Harassment Survey - Results Report

Maggie Dennis
Hi, Tobias.

The pictures may not be the individuals at all; they may be pornographic
pictures of others that are misattributed. And sometimes the attribution is
not to a real name, but to their usernames. In all cases, the intent seems
to be to humiliate and hurt the target. Sometimes the goal seems to be to
drive them away.

Of course, I don't know the stories of all the respondents who selected
that - not even a substantial percentage of them. I was surprised by the
prevalence, too, but maybe not as surprised as you given what I *have* seen
in nearly 5 years of working in this area at the WMF. People try all
different kinds of ways to try to hurt each other, and sexualized attacks
of one kind or another are sadly really common.

Best,

Maggie

On Sat, Jan 30, 2016 at 8:47 AM, Tobias <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi Maggie,
>
> On 01/30/2016 02:35 PM, Maggie Dennis wrote:
> > In the time I've worked at the Wikimedia Foundation, I have
> > (unsurprisingly, given its reported prevalence) come across this kind of
> > harassment in my work with Support and Safety (formerly Community
> > Advocacy). There have been cases where perfectly harmless pictures of the
> > individuals have been doctored to be sexualized and cases where existing
> > pornographic pictures that were not the individual were selected and
> > misattributed as being them. I have personally been involved in
> complaints
> > of this happening to both men and women.
>
> thank you for providing further insights. That is really concerning.
>
> At the same time, a great majority of users do not publish photos of
> themselves, and don't publish their name (which would allow others to
> find available photos elsewhere), so it is still a mystery to me how
> this very high percentage can be explained.
>
> Tobias

Maggie Dennis
Director, Support and Safety
Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] 2015 Harassment Survey - Results Report

Pierre-Selim
As an oversighter on Wikimedia Commons, I have witness what has been
described by Maggie and Philippe.

We should take such reports seriously, instead of trying to invalidate the
result. The denial is hindering improvements.
Le 30 janv. 2016 3:03 PM, "Maggie Dennis" <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> Hi, Tobias.
>
> The pictures may not be the individuals at all; they may be pornographic
> pictures of others that are misattributed. And sometimes the attribution is
> not to a real name, but to their usernames. In all cases, the intent seems
> to be to humiliate and hurt the target. Sometimes the goal seems to be to
> drive them away.
>
> Of course, I don't know the stories of all the respondents who selected
> that - not even a substantial percentage of them. I was surprised by the
> prevalence, too, but maybe not as surprised as you given what I *have* seen
> in nearly 5 years of working in this area at the WMF. People try all
> different kinds of ways to try to hurt each other, and sexualized attacks
> of one kind or another are sadly really common.
>
> Best,
>
> Maggie
>

> On Sat, Jan 30, 2016 at 8:47 AM, Tobias <[hidden email]
> >
> wrote:
>
> > Hi Maggie,
> >
> > On 01/30/2016 02:35 PM, Maggie Dennis wrote:
> > > In the time I've worked at the Wikimedia Foundation, I have
> > > (unsurprisingly, given its reported prevalence) come across this kind
> of
> > > harassment in my work with Support and Safety (formerly Community
> > > Advocacy). There have been cases where perfectly harmless pictures of
> the
> > > individuals have been doctored to be sexualized and cases where
> existing
> > > pornographic pictures that were not the individual were selected and
> > > misattributed as being them. I have personally been involved in
> > complaints
> > > of this happening to both men and women.
> >
> > thank you for providing further insights. That is really concerning.
> >
> > At the same time, a great majority of users do not publish photos of
> > themselves, and don't publish their name (which would allow others to
> > find available photos elsewhere), so it is still a mystery to me how
> > this very high percentage can be explained.
> >
> > Tobias

> Maggie Dennis
> Director, Support and Safety
> Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] 2015 Harassment Survey - Results Report

Tobias
Right. Thanks Philippe and Maggie!

Tobias

Re: [Wikimedia-l] 2015 Harassment Survey - Results Report

Todd Allen
Unfortunately, I'm not surprised either. Can't discuss details for obvious
reasons, but some of the stuff I saw while on the ArbCom would really make
your hair curl. Trolls can get pretty vicious.

Todd

On Sat, Jan 30, 2016 at 7:23 AM, Tobias <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Right. Thanks Philippe and Maggie!
>
> Tobias

Re: [Wikimedia-l] 2015 Harassment Survey - Results Report

Sydney Poore
Hi Tobias,

Like Maggie, I was not surprised that people (both men and women) were
reporting revenge porn because I know of reports in the Wikimedia
community, but like her I was surprised that this survey showed
revenge porn being reported by this many people.

But it is not surprising that the people who experienced the worst
types of harassment, or type that the WMF and wikimedia community is
the least able to address would respond to this survey.

Without further verification, I would not suggest the 65% figure to be
representative of the whole wikimedia community of people who are
harassed. Most people understand that this type of survey sample would
not produce results that are representative of the whole community.

But it does show an example of a type of extreme harassment that
poorly understood by the community. This information can help educate
the WMF and the wikimedia community, and hopefully will help find
better ways of assisting the people being harassed.

Sydney

Sydney Poore
User:FloNight
Wikipedian in Residence
at Cochrane Collaboration

On Sat, Jan 30, 2016 at 9:03 AM, Maggie Dennis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi, Tobias.
>
> The pictures may not be the individuals at all; they may be pornographic
> pictures of others that are misattributed. And sometimes the attribution is
> not to a real name, but to their usernames. In all cases, the intent seems
> to be to humiliate and hurt the target. Sometimes the goal seems to be to
> drive them away.
>
> Of course, I don't know the stories of all the respondents who selected
> that - not even a substantial percentage of them. I was surprised by the
> prevalence, too, but maybe not as surprised as you given what I *have* seen
> in nearly 5 years of working in this area at the WMF. People try all
> different kinds of ways to try to hurt each other, and sexualized attacks
> of one kind or another are sadly really common.
>
> Best,
>
> Maggie
>

> On Sat, Jan 30, 2016 at 8:47 AM, Tobias <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Maggie,
>>
>> On 01/30/2016 02:35 PM, Maggie Dennis wrote:
>> > In the time I've worked at the Wikimedia Foundation, I have
>> > (unsurprisingly, given its reported prevalence) come across this kind of
>> > harassment in my work with Support and Safety (formerly Community
>> > Advocacy). There have been cases where perfectly harmless pictures of the
>> > individuals have been doctored to be sexualized and cases where existing
>> > pornographic pictures that were not the individual were selected and
>> > misattributed as being them. I have personally been involved in
>> complaints
>> > of this happening to both men and women.
>>
>> thank you for providing further insights. That is really concerning.
>>
>> At the same time, a great majority of users do not publish photos of
>> themselves, and don't publish their name (which would allow others to
>> find available photos elsewhere), so it is still a mystery to me how
>> this very high percentage can be explained.
>>
>> Tobias

> Maggie Dennis
> Director, Support and Safety
> Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] 2015 Harassment Survey - Results Report

Jane Darnell
I have been surprised again and again by a casual form of vandalism that
goes unchecked because it is possibly seen as humorous. Here is an example
of something I have corrected in passing (and can remember how to find in
order to link it here):
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Florence_Devouard&type=revision&diff=427057319&oldid=426139028

On Sat, Jan 30, 2016 at 10:01 AM, Sydney Poore <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > Maggie
> >

> > On Sat, Jan 30, 2016 at 8:47 AM, Tobias <
> [hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Maggie,

> of
> the
> existing
> >> complaints
> >>
> >> thank you for providing further insights. That is really concerning.
> >>
> >> At the same time, a great majority of users do not publish photos of
> >> themselves, and don't publish their name (which would allow others to
> >> find available photos elsewhere), so it is still a mystery to me how
> >> this very high percentage can be explained.
> >>
> >> Tobias

> > Maggie Dennis
> > Director, Support and Safety
> > Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] 2015 Harassment Survey - Results Report

Vi to
A similar situation happened to me:
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Vito&diff=685988175&oldid=685926527
or just a couple of days ago most of my uploads at Commons were deleted
because a long-term abuser filled them with crappy "{{Copyviol|request
file delegation abusive vandalisme copyright}}" tags.

I've been subjected to various forms of online harassment for years but
I feel safe enough since I wouldn't fear any of them in RL (nor I use
socialnetworks).

Still I must confess what can become frustrating is seeing sort of
"tolerance" towards this kind of attack. IMnsHO anything clearly aimed
at harassing other users should trigger a wide zero-tolerance reaction,
regardless of any "credit" owned by the perpetrator.

Vito

Il 30/01/2016 16:18, Jane Darnell ha scritto:

> I have been surprised again and again by a casual form of vandalism that
> goes unchecked because it is possibly seen as humorous. Here is an example
> of something I have corrected in passing (and can remember how to find in
> order to link it here):
> https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Florence_Devouard&type=revision&diff=427057319&oldid=426139028
>
> On Sat, Jan 30, 2016 at 10:01 AM, Sydney Poore <[hidden email]>

Re: [Wikimedia-l] 2015 Harassment Survey - Results Report

Jane Darnell
I think you meant to link this one?
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Vito&type=revision&diff=686068089&oldid=686006551

Il 30/01/2016 18:12, Jane Darnell ha scritto:
> I think you meant to link this one?
> https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Vito&type=revision&diff=686068089&oldid=686006551

Nope, I exactly meant the link I posted :D

Mine wasn't a criticism of Bgwhite but I wanted to point out he dealt
with it as that was a good-faith edit.
As said I don't want to criticise him but this is, imvho, a sign of an
overall lack of attention by us to potential harassment/libel/outing
situations.

Vito

(meanwhile BDA, the troll above, is being "helped" by a good-faith user
to reinstate his contents, but that's a different matter)

Re: [Wikimedia-l] 2015 Harassment Survey - Results Report

Haitham Shammaa
Hi Tobias,

In addition to Maggie's attempt to explain why the numbers might seem high,
the reported percentages on slide #17 are not out of the total pool of
respondents (~3800) but out of those who reported experiencing harassment
(~1200).

e.g. as there were 740 respondents reported "revenge porn", this brings the
percentage down to 19% out of the general pool of respondents, and in the
range of up to 25% in regard to other categories of harassment.

That said, even with 18-25%, I think this is still rather on the high end
of the spectrum. My alternative theory to explain this is around the used
terminology in the survey. Terms like "revenge porn" or "doxing" are still
comparatively new [1] [2] to casual internet users, not to mention to good
faith Wikipedia contributors, and chances that some of the respondents
confused them for something else (porn, or revenge .. etc) is not an
unlikely scenario.

[1] https://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=revenge%20porn
[2] https://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=doxxing

Hope this helps.

*--*
*Haitham Shammaa*
*Senior Strategist*
*Wikimedia Foundation*

sum of all knowledge. **Click the "edit" button now, and help us make it a
reality!*

*--*
*Haitham Shammaa*
*Senior Strategist*
*Wikimedia Foundation*

sum of all knowledge. **Click the "edit" button now, and help us make it a
reality!*

On Sat, Jan 30, 2016 at 5:14 AM, Tobias <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Thank you Patrick.
>
> The (preliminary) report is in my mind deeply disturbing, not merely by
> how widespread harassment is, but also by what types of harassment
> respondents cite.
>
> User page vandalism and flaming I would have expected, but around 35% of
> respondents in our community* apparently were subject to Outing, Threats
> of Violence, Impersonation and Hacking.
>
> Almost one third (!) of the respondents were themselves the subject of
> revenge porn, defined by the survey as: "publishing of sexually explicit
> or sexualised photos of without one's consent".
>

> Wait, what? How could that possibly be...?
>
> Either a substantial number of respondents did not answer truthfully, or
> they didn't understand the question, or I really have no clue what's
> going on in this community.
>

> Tobias
>
> * I multiplied the percentage of responses (~65%) with the number of
> users who were asked this question because they reported they'd been
> harassed or maybe harassed (54%).

Re: [Wikimedia-l] 2015 Harassment Survey - Results Report

Risker
Some of the things that users might consider "revenge porn" would include
porn that is sent to them via email (either images or text - both of which
I've received), or images/comments posted to their userspace or to other
places where it was intended to come to their attention (e.g., obviously
inappropriate images posted to article talk pages).  Links and "easter
eggs" leading to similar content could also be considered "revenge porn".
Context is often important. In particular, the Wikimedia projects host a
vast quantity of images and media that are appropriate to a limited number
of articles but would be inappropriate or even offensive in other
presentations.

Risker/Anne