[Wikimedia-l] 2016 call for Audit Committee observers

[Wikimedia-l] 2016 call for Audit Committee observers

Gregory Varnum-4
Forward on behalf of Kelly Battles.

Hello All -

My name is Kelly Bodnar Battles and I am honored to have joined the Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees in January of this year.

Professionally, I am a Chief Financial Officer (CFO), and a material part of my near term Wikimedia Foundation (WMF) Board responsibilities will be to chair the Audit Committee.  Currently, the voting members of the Audit Committee are myself, Alice Wiegand, María Sefidari and Denny Vrandečić.  WMF’s CFO and Treasurer Jaime Villagomez is also an important stakeholder on this committee as well.

As you may know, we have the precedent of having non-voting members (please see role definition below) from outside the board participate in the Audit Committee as well.  Toward that end, I would like to:

-      First and foremost, thank Matt Bisanz, Michael Snow, Abhijith Jayanthi, Ben Creasy and Florian Gerl for participating in this committee as non-voting members in the recent past.

-      Request that if you are interested (or know of other volunteers in the community who may be interested) in serving in this capacity for this next cycle (from selection through June 2017), please send to me at this email address ([hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>) your resume, the top 3 reasons why you want to do this and the top 3 things you will add to the Audit Committee.

-      Propose the following steps and timeline for the selection process:
    -      Candidates submit their interest and the above information to me no later than April 15
    -      The Audit Committee will interview top 4 candidates by May 10
    -      The Audit Committee will select the top 2 candidate by May 15
    -      Selected candidates join the Audit committee by June 1 and attend July Audit Committee meeting

-      Outline the following important preferences for candidates interested in this role:
    -      5+ years of operational finance and or accounting experience
    -      Solid understanding of the mission and operations of WMF
    -      Prior executive or board experience
    -      CPA (Certified Public Accountant) or MBA (Masters in Business Administration), or equivalent earned
    -      Capacity to commit an estimated 20-30 hours annually to attend both quarterly and other ad-hoc meetings, prepare or review required materials, and interact with committee, staff and/or board as required.

Once again, I am thrilled to be part of this amazing organization.  Thank you for the warm welcome I have received so far.

Best,
Kelly

See link for Audit Committee charter
https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Audit_Committee_charter <https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Audit_Committee_charter>
This message is available for translation on Meta-Wiki:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Audit_Committee/2016_call_for_Audit_Committee_observers <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Audit_Committee/2016_call_for_Audit_Committee_observers>

Re: [Wikimedia-l] 2016 call for Audit Committee observers

Pine W
Thanks Greg.

Kelly, I'm wondering if you can comment on the role of this committee
outside of audit-related tasks. My understanding is that this committee
also functions as a general-purpose finance and budget committee for the
WMF Board.

Thanks,
Pine
On Apr 4, 2016 13:54, "Greg Varnum" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> both quarterly and other ad-hoc meetings, prepare or review required
> materials, and interact with committee, staff and/or board as required.
>
> Once again, I am thrilled to be part of this amazing organization.  Thank
> you for the warm welcome I have received so far.
>
> Best,
> Kelly
>
> See link for Audit Committee charter
> https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Audit_Committee_charter <
> https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Audit_Committee_charter>
> This message is available for translation on Meta-Wiki:
>
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Audit_Committee/2016_call_for_Audit_Committee_observers
> <
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Audit_Committee/2016_call_for_Audit_Committee_observers

Re: [Wikimedia-l] 2016 call for Audit Committee observers

Risker
Hmm. Ironically, it is standard for even non-member charities and
non-profits in much of the world to have fully-voting members of the Audit
Committee who are not members of the Board of Trustees/Directors.  It is
unfortunate that the Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees has not yet
come around to this idea.  The Audit Committee would be the ideal place to
start, as there are never that many Trustees who are fully conversant with
the responsibilities of auditing.  It is an opportunity lost.

Nonetheless, I hope that well-qualified individuals will agree to put
themselves forward for this oversight role.

Risker/Anne

On 4 April 2016 at 16:54, Greg Varnum <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> both quarterly and other ad-hoc meetings, prepare or review required
> materials, and interact with committee, staff and/or board as required.
>
> Once again, I am thrilled to be part of this amazing organization.  Thank
> you for the warm welcome I have received so far.
>
> Best,
> Kelly
>
> See link for Audit Committee charter
> https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Audit_Committee_charter <
> https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Audit_Committee_charter>
> This message is available for translation on Meta-Wiki:
>
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Audit_Committee/2016_call_for_Audit_Committee_observers
> <
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Audit_Committee/2016_call_for_Audit_Committee_observers

Re: [Wikimedia-l] 2016 call for Audit Committee observers

Ad Huikeshoven

> Hmm. Ironically, it is standard for even non-member charities and
> non-profits in much of the world to have fully-voting members of the Audit
> Committee who are not members of the Board of Trustees/Directors.  It is
> unfortunate that the Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees has not yet
> come around to this idea.

Hi Anne,

The Foundation has come around that idea in 2006/2007 until 2012. [1] In
that period is full voting member of the Audit Committee, later joined by a
few others. On October 26nd, 2012 the Board passed a resolution to change
the charter of the Audit Committee. [2] Among other things, outsiders in
the committee lost their voting rights. That is something that happened
after I left the Audit Committee. I don't know why the voting rights where
removed.

Ad

[1]:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Audit_Committee/Members
[2]:
https://wikimediafoundation.org/w/index.php?title=Audit_Committee_charter&type=revision&diff=84898&oldid=84895

Re: [Wikimedia Announcements] 2016 call for Audit Committee observers

Gregory Varnum-4
Sent on behalf of Kelly Battles.

Hello everyone,

We are grateful for your interest in the Audit Committee, a group convened to assist the Board of Trustees in oversight of the Foundation's accounting and financial reporting processes. We are happy to report that we had solid interest in the call for volunteer advisory members to the committee, and we have filled the two seats with great candidates — Julian Singh and Michael Snow.  Please join me in thanking both Julian and Michael for volunteering their time and experience to this important effort.

Julian and Michael, we are excited to work with you both.

Best,
Audit Committee

On Apr 4, 2016, at 4:54 PM, Greg Varnum <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

-      Request that if you are interested (or know of other volunteers in the community who may be interested) in serving in this capacity for this next cycle (from selection through June 2017), please send to me at this email address ([hidden email]) your resume, the top 3 reasons why you want to do this and the top 3 things you will add to the Audit Committee.