[Wikimedia-l] 2016 call for Board Governance Committee Volunteer and Advisory members [results]

[Wikimedia-l] 2016 call for Board Governance Committee Volunteer and Advisory members [results]

Nataliia Tymkiv
Dear all,

I am honestly delighted to announce the results of the public call for
Board Governance committee volunteer and Advisory members, announced on
July 15, 2016  [1]. We received nine applications, and after discussing
them with BGC and reviewing the committee's needs and interviewing a short
list of candidates,I have chosen five volunteer advisory members for the
committee. I'd like to extend my thanks to everyone who offered to serve on
the committee.

Please find below a short introduction for our new volunteer advisory
members. They are all quite well known in the movement and I think their
insights would be helpful. They join the Committee once they sign the
documents that Stephen LaPorte, our Interim Secretary, sent to them (the
same ones as the Board members sign - the confidentiality agreement
<https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Confidentiality_agreement_of_the_Board_of_Trustees>
, code of conduct
<https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Code_of_conduct_of_the_Board_of_Trustees>
, conflict of interest disclosure
<https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Conflict_of_interest_policy>).

=== Gayle Karen Young ===

Gayle Karen Young is a WMF's former Chief Talent and Culture office. In her
time at Wikimedia, she was accountable for building the current HR team and
had an active hand in board development and staffed the board HR committee.
She brings experience with the Wikimedia movement, with the workings of the
Foundation, and through her own consulting work in leadership and board
development with organizations in both the for-profit and non-profit space,
and in technology and human rights.

=== Kat Walsh ===

Kat Walsh is a former member of Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees,
12/2006-8/2013 (Chair, 2012-2013; Executive Secretary, 2009-2010). Now she
works as an attorney specializing in copyright, Internet law, and free and
open source software.

=== Tim Moritz Hector ===

Tim Moritz Hector is Chair of the Board of Wikimedia Deutschland since
2014. Tim has been an active Wikimedian for more than eight years and was
engaged in several positions on national and international level. His most
recent engagement (with Frans Grijzenhout from WMNL) is focussed on
building the capacities of board members in all Wikimedia-organizations. He
is going to finish his B.A. in politics and german philology this month and
shall work as an advisor to the ED at the "Academy for volunteerism" in
Berlin beginning in September.

=== Ido Ivry ===

Ido Ivry is a board member of Wikimedia Israel. He has extensive NGO
experience, as well as business understanding, both in large corporates,
NGOs, GLAM institution (National Library of Israel), and is currently a CTO
in his own startup, developing open data solutions for city governments.
Ido has been active on the Grants Advisory Committee and as part of the
Simple APG Committee, working with many organizations in our movement on
carrying out their missions successfully and effectively.

=== Ira B. Matetsky (User:Newyorkbrad) ===

Ira Brad Matetsky (User:Newyorkbrad) is a long-time editor, administrator,
and former arbitrator on English Wikipedia as well as a board member of
Wikimedia New York City.  Professionally, he has been a litigation attorney
in New York City since 1987.  He has broad experience with board and
community governance issues, best practices, and legal requirements from
serving with and representing a number of organizations.

[1] https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimedia-l/2016-July/084756.html

Best regards,
antanana / Nataliia Tymkiv

Re: [Wikimedia-l] 2016 call for Board Governance Committee Volunteer and Advisory members [results]

Pine W
I'm impressed with the high caliber nature of the appointees. Thank you for
volunteering.

Thank you Nat for making these valuable appointmrments.

Pine

On Aug 16, 2016 06:47, "Nataliia Tymkiv" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> Simple APG Committee, working with many organizations in our movement on
> carrying out their missions successfully and effectively.
>
> === Ira B. Matetsky (User:Newyorkbrad) ===
>
> Ira Brad Matetsky (User:Newyorkbrad) is a long-time editor, administrator,
> and former arbitrator on English Wikipedia as well as a board member of
> Wikimedia New York City.  Professionally, he has been a litigation attorney
> in New York City since 1987.  He has broad experience with board and
> community governance issues, best practices, and legal requirements from
> serving with and representing a number of organizations.
>
> [1] https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimedia-l/2016-
> July/084756.html
>
> Best regards,
> antanana / Nataliia Tymkiv

Re: [Wikimedia-l] 2016 call for Board Governance Committee Volunteer and Advisory members [results]

Shani Evenstein
Wonderful news! All very worthy, well experienced and will surely
contribute a lot.
Good luck to all of you on your new role and a special thanks to Antanana
for her awesome work on the BoT.

Cheers,
Shani.

On Tue, Aug 16, 2016 at 5:30 PM, Pine W <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > carrying out their missions successfully and effectively.
> >
> > === Ira B. Matetsky (User:Newyorkbrad) ===
> >
> > Ira Brad Matetsky (User:Newyorkbrad) is a long-time editor,
> administrator,
> > and former arbitrator on English Wikipedia as well as a board member of
> > Wikimedia New York City.  Professionally, he has been a litigation
> attorney
> > in New York City since 1987.  He has broad experience with board and
> > community governance issues, best practices, and legal requirements from
> > serving with and representing a number of organizations.
> >
> > [1] https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimedia-l/2016-
> > July/084756.html
> >
> > Best regards,
> > antanana / Nataliia Tymkiv

Re: [Wikimedia-l] 2016 call for Board Governance Committee Volunteer and Advisory members [results]

Anders Wennersten-2
I joined the movement in 2007. I was then overwhelmed by the beauty and
strength of the concept and the content in the projects. But at the same
time I was underwhelmed by the support structure behind. Even if
Delphine and Brion were good in talking with everyone and fixing
technique and Florence in chairing the operations, it was surely not up
to the needs.

For me a milestone in getting a professional support structure in place
was in 2012, when the Haifa agreement was realized and the FDC (and
narrowing-focus) got in place. FDC was as fascinating for me as the base
concept of the projects and as much true to the values of the movement.
And besides the clever colleagues in the committee I got to know  some
truly admirable individuals, like Kate Welsh, Garfield, Gayle and of
course Anasuya (and a little later Katy and Bishakha). Sometimes I feel
that in the movement there are the best people you can find anywhere.
But at the same time there were underwhelming issues, like a partly
dysfunctional Board and that WMF operations was neither properly working
nor reviewed (by FDC).

I now see that in 2016 a new milestone is being passed when the movement
(at last) gets a professional support structure on par with the needs.
I perceive the tech org now working well and user driven, that the
budget process now has been run professional and that there is a good
management team in place for the running of WMF. And after seeing a lot
of good initiatives around the working of the Board where this
announcement is the thing that get the keyelement in place,  I also
believe the Board is now up to become as professional as is needed for
the movement. And the joy of seeing the names of many of my all time
favourites back (in part also in FDC) is profound.

Welcome all of you and looking forward to read of the resolutions from
this enhanced BGC

Anders

Den 2016-08-16 kl. 15:47, skrev Nataliia Tymkiv:

> [...]
> Simple APG Committee, working with many organizations in our movement on
> carrying out their missions successfully and effectively.
>
> === Ira B. Matetsky (User:Newyorkbrad) ===
>
> Ira Brad Matetsky (User:Newyorkbrad) is a long-time editor, administrator,
> and former arbitrator on English Wikipedia as well as a board member of
> Wikimedia New York City.  Professionally, he has been a litigation attorney
> in New York City since 1987.  He has broad experience with board and
> community governance issues, best practices, and legal requirements from
> serving with and representing a number of organizations.
>
> [1] https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimedia-l/2016-July/084756.html
>
> Best regards,
> antanana / Nataliia Tymkiv

Re: [Wikimedia-l] 2016 call for Board Governance Committee Volunteer and Advisory members [results]

Arthur Richards-2
This is awesome news, thank you everyone involved - particularly those of
you volunteering :D

On Tue, Aug 16, 2016 at 6:47 AM, Nataliia Tymkiv <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> NGOs, GLAM institution (National Library of Israel), and is currently a CTO
> in his own startup, developing open data solutions for city governments.
> Ido has been active on the Grants Advisory Committee and as part of the
> Simple APG Committee, working with many organizations in our movement on
> carrying out their missions successfully and effectively.
>
> === Ira B. Matetsky (User:Newyorkbrad) ===
>
> Ira Brad Matetsky (User:Newyorkbrad) is a long-time editor, administrator,
> and former arbitrator on English Wikipedia as well as a board member of
> Wikimedia New York City.  Professionally, he has been a litigation attorney
> in New York City since 1987.  He has broad experience with board and
> community governance issues, best practices, and legal requirements from
> serving with and representing a number of organizations.

Arthur Richards
Sr. Agile Coach: Organizational Collaboration
Team Practices Group <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Team_Practices_Group>
[[User:Awjrichards]]
IRC: awjr
+1-415-839-6885 x6687

Re: [Wikimedia-l] 2016 call for Board Governance Committee Volunteer and Advisory members [results]

Delphine Ménard
Anders said it all. This announcement is so many kind of cool I don't
know where to begin. So just YAY! Thanks for the initiative, thanks
for volunteering.

Delphine

On 16 August 2016 at 20:57, Anders Wennersten <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> NGOs, GLAM institution (National Library of Israel), and is currently a
>> CTO
>> in his own startup, developing open data solutions for city governments.
>> Ido has been active on the Grants Advisory Committee and as part of the
>> Simple APG Committee, working with many organizations in our movement on
>> carrying out their missions successfully and effectively.
>>
>> === Ira B. Matetsky (User:Newyorkbrad) ===
>>
>> Ira Brad Matetsky (User:Newyorkbrad) is a long-time editor, administrator,
>> and former arbitrator on English Wikipedia as well as a board member of
>> Wikimedia New York City.  Professionally, he has been a litigation
>> attorney
>> in New York City since 1987.  He has broad experience with board and
>> community governance issues, best practices, and legal requirements from
>> serving with and representing a number of organizations.

@notafish

Re: [Wikimedia-l] 2016 call for Board Governance Committee Volunteer and Advisory members [results]

Christophe Henner-3
I hope nobody will mind, but I'll "Yay" with you too.

Thanks and kuddos to Natalia for bringing the idea up, leading the process,
and making it happen so quickly. And thanks to everyone who volunteered to
join bgc on top of their other volunteers position :)

Christophe

On Wed, Aug 17, 2016 at 11:28 AM, Delphine Ménard <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> >> Wikimedia New York City.  Professionally, he has been a litigation
> >> attorney
> >> in New York City since 1987.  He has broad experience with board and
> >> community governance issues, best practices, and legal requirements from
> >> serving with and representing a number of organizations.
> >>
> >> [1]
> >> https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimedia-l/2016-July/084756.html
> >>
> >> Best regards,
> >> antanana / Nataliia Tymkiv

> @notafish

> lost.
> Intercultural musings: Ceci n'est pas une endive -
> http://blog.notanendive.org
> Photos with simple eyes: notaphoto - http://photo.notafish.org

Re: [Wikimedia-l] 2016 call for Board Governance Committee Volunteer and Advisory members [results]

Dariusz Jemielniak-3
+1, and also I'm amazed how many outstanding people are willing to help!

17.08.2016 2:34 AM "Christophe Henner" <[hidden email]> napisał(a):

> [...]
> > and

> > was
> > most
> Wikimedia-organizations.
> month
> in

> corporates,
> governments.
> the
> on

> > administrator,
> of
> from

> July/084756.html

> > @notafish

> get
> > lost.
> > Intercultural musings: Ceci n'est pas une endive -
> > http://blog.notanendive.org
> > Photos with simple eyes: notaphoto - http://photo.notafish.org

Re: [Wikimedia-l] 2016 call for Board Governance Committee Volunteer and Advisory members [results]

Katherine Maher
Similarly - really delighted to see so many excellent people supporting
this important committee. Thank you to everyone who volunteered!

Katherine

On Wed, Aug 17, 2016 at 7:38 AM, Dariusz Jemielniak <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> since
> and
> > > was
> His
> > > most
> > Wikimedia-organizations.
> > month
> > in

> > corporates,
> currently
> > governments.
> > the
> movement
> > on

> > > administrator,
> > of
> > from

> > July/084756.html

> > > --
> > > @notafish

> > get
> > > lost.
> > > Intercultural musings: Ceci n'est pas une endive -

Wikimedia Foundation
149 New Montgomery Street
San Francisco, CA 94105

+1 (415) 839-6885 ext. 6635
+1 (415) 712 4873

Re: [Wikimedia-l] 2016 call for Board Governance Committee Volunteer and Advisory members [results]

Jan-Bart de Vreede-3
Hi

Great news, thank you so much for all of you for volunteering and to the board for taking a novel approach to having more external expertise involved :)

Thank you Natalia!

Jan-Bart

> [...]
> Simple APG Committee, working with many organizations in our movement on
> carrying out their missions successfully and effectively.
>
> === Ira B. Matetsky (User:Newyorkbrad) ===
>
> Ira Brad Matetsky (User:Newyorkbrad) is a long-time editor, administrator,
> and former arbitrator on English Wikipedia as well as a board member of
> Wikimedia New York City.  Professionally, he has been a litigation attorney
> in New York City since 1987.  He has broad experience with board and
> community governance issues, best practices, and legal requirements from
> serving with and representing a number of organizations.
>
> [1] https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimedia-l/2016-July/084756.html
>
> Best regards,
> antanana / Nataliia Tymkiv

Re: [Wikimedia-l] 2016 call for Board Governance Committee Volunteer and Advisory members [results]

Tanweer Morshed
Great to see such excellent people willing to volunteer. Congratulations to
the board for such initiative and the elected members for their enthusiasm!

Thanks and regards,
Tanweer
Wikimedia Bangladesh

On Fri, Aug 19, 2016 at 1:45 PM, Jan-Bart de Vreede <[hidden email]

Tanweer