[Wikimedia-l] A proposed project, Wikifiction

[Wikimedia-l] A proposed project, Wikifiction

George Ho
The proposed project, Wikifiction, would collect a lot of information about
existing fictional material. It should not collect fanfiction or original
fictional material, which would be disallowed by the proposed project.

Unlike Wikia, Wikifiction would be ad-free and easier to load.

Link: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikifiction_%28In-
universe_encyclopedia%29

Re: [Wikimedia-l] A proposed project, Wikifiction

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
What is the point? What is educational in this?
Thanks,
     GerardM

On 10 May 2017 at 07:28, George Ho <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The proposed project, Wikifiction, would collect a lot of information about
> existing fictional material. It should not collect fanfiction or original
> fictional material, which would be disallowed by the proposed project.
>
> Unlike Wikia, Wikifiction would be ad-free and easier to load.
>
> Link: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikifiction_%28In-
> universe_encyclopedia%29

Re: [Wikimedia-l] A proposed project, Wikifiction

Craig Franklin
It looks like discussion on this died out years ago; a user has recently
removed the rejected tag citing "discussion" (I'm not sure where), but it
looks like this particular idea ran out of steam long ago.

Cheers,
Craig

On 10 May 2017 at 15:28, George Ho <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The proposed project, Wikifiction, would collect a lot of information about
> existing fictional material. It should not collect fanfiction or original
> fictional material, which would be disallowed by the proposed project.
>
> Unlike Wikia, Wikifiction would be ad-free and easier to load.
>
> Link: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikifiction_%28In-
> universe_encyclopedia%29

Re: [Wikimedia-l] A proposed project, Wikifiction

Andy Cruz y Corro
Non-broken link for the lazy:

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikifiction_%28In-universe_encyclopedia%29

My inner child/nerd is of course wishing to have a single, unified wiki
resource for all discussion of all fiction, but I fail to see

a) Why it would be different from either a standard, well-written Wikipedia
article, or
b) Why it would be different from having an article on its own Wikia fandom
wiki

The proposal is, and I quote, *a detailed in-universe encyclopedia of
fictional works, characters, places, and objects*. If I understand it
correctly, this means having a sort of Encyclopaedia Galactica (or
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Universe) for every fictional universe in a
single wiki. This is, in essence, the same as having a regular Wikipedia
article without the explicit legend of "___ is a fictional character in
_____ work" and a "fictional biography" section.

The validity of The Tommy Westphall Hypothesis and its impact on this
proposed project are left as an exercise to the reader

On Wed, May 10, 2017 at 1:29 AM, Craig Franklin <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> It looks like discussion on this died out years ago; a user has recently
> removed the rejected tag citing "discussion" (I'm not sure where), but it
> looks like this particular idea ran out of steam long ago.
>
> Cheers,
> Craig
>
> On 10 May 2017 at 15:28, George Ho <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > The proposed project, Wikifiction, would collect a lot of information
> about
> > existing fictional material. It should not collect fanfiction or original
> > fictional material, which would be disallowed by the proposed project.
> >
> > Unlike Wikia, Wikifiction would be ad-free and easier to load.
> >
> > Link: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikifiction_%28In-
> > universe_encyclopedia%29

<https://about.me/andycyca?promo=email_sig&utm_source=product&utm_medium=email_sig&utm_campaign=gmail_api>
Andrés C y C