[Wikimedia-l] A transition and a new chapter.

[Wikimedia-l] A transition and a new chapter.

Lila Tretikov
Dear Wikimedians,

I have some important news to share with you. Erik Moeller will be leaving
the Wikimedia Foundation on April 30th. Last week he let me know that he
decided it is time for him to explore his passions beyond our walls.

I want to thank Erik. For more than a decade, he gave his all to Wikimedia
-- first as a volunteer, then as a board member, and finally as a leader at
the WMF. For the past year, has been my personal guide, particularly in my
critical few months as the ED.

Earlier this year, I announced a Call to Action
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Communications/State_of_the_Wikimedia_Foundation#2015_Call_to_Action>
designed to organize the WMF around focus on product and communities. We
have already started putting some of these key initiatives into place.

In February, we brought the key community-facing functions into one team,
Community Engagement under Luis Villa, to improve support for community
needs and priorities. In March, we brought on Terry Gilbey as our new Chief
Operating Officer, to improve our organizational effectiveness, and
introduce rigor and discipline into our operational processes, metrics, and
reporting. And just two weeks ago, we introduced Kourosh Karimkhany as our
new Vice President of Strategic Partnerships, to build meaningful
partnerships, projects, and relationships that advance our mission.

Improving technology and execution are a major part of our Call to Action,
and I have been working with Erik, Damon, and others to determine our path
forward. Erik has been a key thought partner and thought leader in this
effort. We are near completion in this planning, and I look forward to
sharing more information with you all next Tuesday.

I am excited to see Erik’s next incredible adventure. Please join me in
supporting him on his path.

~~~~Lila

Re: [Wikimedia-l] A transition and a new chapter.

Erik Moeller-4
Hi all --

As Lila noted, since January 2008 I've worn many hats at the Wikimedia
Foundation, and in the six years before that I was a Wikipedian,
MediaWiki developer, and member of the WMF board of trustees. I became
involved in Wikipedia when I was 22 years old. :) The Wikimedia
movement has accomplished amazing things, but I believe it's time now
for me to do something different and new.

It's been a long and incredible journey, and one I am privileged to
have helped to shape. When I joined the Foundation in December 2007 we
were a staff of a dozen people, with barely enough funds to keep the
lights on. Since then, we've tackled challenges of a complexity and
scale faced by few other organisations. In doing so, we’ve been
generously supported by people all over the world who are grateful for
the gift of free knowledge.

I’m proud of and happy with what we've achieved. Reaching people on
mobile. Pioneering new approaches working with universities.
Painstakingly building a visual editing experience on top of wikitext.
:) I’m glad we’ve taken a stand when it matters (SOPA blackout, NSA
lawsuit) and that we don’t shy away from complex issues such as
community health and diversity.

I’m excited that Wikidata is growing in leaps and bounds with the help
of Wikimedia Germany, and that more and more powerful tools and
services are being built on the basis of Wikimedia APIs and data. I’ve
always believed that Wikimedia chapter and affiliate organizations are
key to the success of the movement, and I hope they are going to truly
thrive in years to come.

But it's time. As the leadership team begins to coalesce under Lila, I
want to open up space for the organization to learn and explore anew
-- and I’d like to rediscover for myself what it means to tackle
challenges outside of my areas of comfort and familiarity.

I’m very interested in the technical challenges of federated
collaboration, and am looking forward to getting my hands dirty in
that domain. I also want to explore how to make patterns of ethics,
policy, and self-governance more accessible and re-usable for
communities. In short, I’m itching to immerse myself in new problem
spaces and new ideas.

Lila, Damon, Terry, myself and others in the org have been discussing
how to organize product going forward to set the org up for success in
the years to come, and we’ll have an update on that very soon. This is
a very natural point for me to pursue something new.

What Wikimedia does in the world is wonderful & important. I’m sure I
will continue to cross paths with many of you in future as I continue
to move in free culture circles, and I very much look forward to it.

I’ll continue to be @ WMF full-time through April, and will make
myself available as necessary afterwards, for when the org needs human
institutional memory that surpasses digital archives. I wish you all
success and joy :-)

Love,

Erik
--
Erik Möller
VP of Product & Strategy, Wikimedia Foundation

Re: [Wikimedia-l] A transition and a new chapter.

Brion Vibber-4
It's been a long journey -- I remember that 2007 office well, and the crazy
times before even that. :)

Best of luck on what's next!

-- brion
On Apr 13, 2015 11:12 AM, "Erik Moeller" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> the years to come, and we’ll have an update on that very soon. This is
> a very natural point for me to pursue something new.
>
> What Wikimedia does in the world is wonderful & important. I’m sure I
> will continue to cross paths with many of you in future as I continue
> to move in free culture circles, and I very much look forward to it.
>
> I’ll continue to be @ WMF full-time through April, and will make
> myself available as necessary afterwards, for when the org needs human
> institutional memory that surpasses digital archives. I wish you all
> success and joy :-)
>
> Love,
>
> Erik
> --
> Erik Möller
> VP of Product & Strategy, Wikimedia Foundation

Re: [Wikimedia-l] A transition and a new chapter.

Magnus Manske-2
Erik, it's been quite a ride. Wikimedia wouldn't be where it is without you.

Good luck and success in your next endeavour!

On Mon, Apr 13, 2015 at 7:27 PM Brion Vibber <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > the years to come, and we’ll have an update on that very soon. This is
> > a very natural point for me to pursue something new.
> >
> > What Wikimedia does in the world is wonderful & important. I’m sure I
> > will continue to cross paths with many of you in future as I continue
> > to move in free culture circles, and I very much look forward to it.
> >
> > I’ll continue to be @ WMF full-time through April, and will make
> > myself available as necessary afterwards, for when the org needs human
> > institutional memory that surpasses digital archives. I wish you all
> > success and joy :-)
> >
> > Love,
> >
> > Erik
> > --
> > Erik Möller
> > VP of Product & Strategy, Wikimedia Foundation

Re: [Wikimedia-l] A transition and a new chapter.

Aude-2
On Apr 13, 2015 8:27 PM, "Brion Vibber" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It's been a long journey -- I remember that 2007 office well, and the
crazy
> times before even that. :)
>
> Best of luck on what's next!

Huge thanks for all you have done for Wikimedia! :)

Wish you the best in whatever you do next.

Cheers,
Katie

> [...]
> > the years to come, and we’ll have an update on that very soon. This is
> > a very natural point for me to pursue something new.
> >
> > What Wikimedia does in the world is wonderful & important. I’m sure I
> > will continue to cross paths with many of you in future as I continue
> > to move in free culture circles, and I very much look forward to it.
> >
> > I’ll continue to be @ WMF full-time through April, and will make
> > myself available as necessary afterwards, for when the org needs human
> > institutional memory that surpasses digital archives. I wish you all
> > success and joy :-)
> >
> > Love,
> >
> > Erik
> > --
> > Erik Möller
> > VP of Product & Strategy, Wikimedia Foundation

Re: [Wikimedia-l] A transition and a new chapter.

James Alexander-4
I know you will find an interesting and awesome next chapter but it is certainly a bittersweet pill to see you heading out. I've enjoyed working alongside you for the past 5 years from debates about jimbo banners to what show we should play at Science Tuesday. You have been a huge presence in the movement since it's very creation and you better not completely disappear. Denver that a departure from a role like this only allow you to take on different roles ;).

I'll have time to do this more later this month I'm sure but may your next adventure be as or more fulfilling then your last :).

Sent from my iPhone

James Alexander
Legal and Community Advocacy
Wikimedia Foundation
+1 415-839-6885 x6716

> [...]
>> the years to come, and we’ll have an update on that very soon. This is
>> a very natural point for me to pursue something new.
>>
>> What Wikimedia does in the world is wonderful & important. I’m sure I
>> will continue to cross paths with many of you in future as I continue
>> to move in free culture circles, and I very much look forward to it.
>>
>> I’ll continue to be @ WMF full-time through April, and will make
>> myself available as necessary afterwards, for when the org needs human
>> institutional memory that surpasses digital archives. I wish you all
>> success and joy :-)
>>
>> Love,
>>
>> Erik
>> --
>> Erik Möller
>> VP of Product & Strategy, Wikimedia Foundation

Re: [Wikimedia-l] A transition and a new chapter.

On Mon, Apr 13, 2015 at 11:53 AM, James Alexander <[hidden email]>
wrote:

>  Denver that a departure from a role like this only allow you to take on
> different roles ;).

Remember that a departure.... auto correct can be both a dangerous and
wondrous thing.

James Alexander
Community Advocacy
Wikimedia Foundation
(415) 839-6885 x6716 @jamesofur

Re: [Wikimedia-l] A transition and a new chapter.

Emmanuel Engelhart-5
On 13.04.2015 20:12, Erik Moeller wrote:
> I’m excited that Wikidata is growing in leaps and bounds with the help
> of Wikimedia Germany,

Yes, from Wikidata (wiktionaryz) where I saw first your name to Wikidata
(wikidata.org). What a journey!

Thank you and al the best
Emmanuel
--
Kiwix - Wikipedia Offline & more
* Web: http://www.kiwix.org

Re: [Wikimedia-l] A transition and a new chapter.

Pine W
Hi Erik, best wishes on your new journey. Two things I am grateful to you
for are the development of VisualEditor into a very viable product, and the
support of HHVM implementation.

Lila, will all of Product and Engineering now report to Damon or are there
plans to recruit a replacement for Erik? Also, who will take the Deputy
Director role?

Thanks,
Pine
On Apr 13, 2015 11:07 AM, "Lila Tretikov" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear Wikimedians,
>
> I have some important news to share with you. Erik Moeller will be leaving
> the Wikimedia Foundation on April 30th. Last week he let me know that he
> decided it is time for him to explore his passions beyond our walls.
>
> I want to thank Erik. For more than a decade, he gave his all to Wikimedia
> -- first as a volunteer, then as a board member, and finally as a leader at
> the WMF. For the past year, has been my personal guide, particularly in my
> critical few months as the ED.
>
> Earlier this year, I announced a Call to Action
> <
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Communications/State_of_the_Wikimedia_Foundation#2015_Call_to_Action
> >
> designed to organize the WMF around focus on product and communities. We
> have already started putting some of these key initiatives into place.
>
> In February, we brought the key community-facing functions into one team,
> Community Engagement under Luis Villa, to improve support for community
> needs and priorities. In March, we brought on Terry Gilbey as our new Chief
> Operating Officer, to improve our organizational effectiveness, and
> introduce rigor and discipline into our operational processes, metrics, and
> reporting. And just two weeks ago, we introduced Kourosh Karimkhany as our
> new Vice President of Strategic Partnerships, to build meaningful
> partnerships, projects, and relationships that advance our mission.
>
> Improving technology and execution are a major part of our Call to Action,
> and I have been working with Erik, Damon, and others to determine our path
> forward. Erik has been a key thought partner and thought leader in this
> effort. We are near completion in this planning, and I look forward to
> sharing more information with you all next Tuesday.
>
> I am excited to see Erik’s next incredible adventure. Please join me in
> supporting him on his path.
>
> ~~~~Lila

Re: [Wikimedia-l] A transition and a new chapter.

Pavel Richter-3
Thank you, Q577729!

Thank you for what you did for Wikimedia in general, for the Wikimedia
Foundation in particular, for Free Knowledge as a whole.
And thank you for thinking and talking about Wikidata, long before
Wikimedia Deutschland did; and for pointing the right people towards the
right organization at the right moment.

Cheers,

Q15903779

> [...]
> how to organize product going forward to set the org up for success in
> the years to come, and we’ll have an update on that very soon. This is
> a very natural point for me to pursue something new.
>
> What Wikimedia does in the world is wonderful & important. I’m sure I
> will continue to cross paths with many of you in future as I continue
> to move in free culture circles, and I very much look forward to it.
>
> I’ll continue to be @ WMF full-time through April, and will make
> myself available as necessary afterwards, for when the org needs human
> institutional memory that surpasses digital archives. I wish you all
> success and joy :-)
>
> Love,
>
> Erik
> --
> Erik Möller
> VP of Product & Strategy, Wikimedia Foundation

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Kind regards,

Pavel Richter
Mobile: +49-151-19645755
Mail: [hidden email]
Twitter: @pavel <https://twitter.com/pavel>
Blog: blog.pavelrichter.de

Re: [Wikimedia-l] A transition and a new chapter.

Erik Zachte-3
Dear Erik,

You have been serving the movement in many capacities, and contributed an awesome amount.
Thanks much for your commitment, your vision and heartfelt desire to constantly promote innovation.
I really enjoyed working together for so many years.
I can't imagine you are leaving as a volunteer.
Much too early to adopt the title of 'Wikimedia innovator emeritus'.
All best with you next adventure.

Erik Zachte

Re: [Wikimedia-l] A transition and a new chapter.

Leinonen Teemu
Toward Peace, Love & Progress!

All the best with the new chapter,

        - Teemu

> On 13.4.2015, at 21.12, Erik Moeller <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I’m proud of and happy with what we've achieved.

Teemu Leinonen
http://teemuleinonen.fi
+358 50 351 6796
Media Lab
http://mlab.uiah.fi
Aalto University
School of Arts, Design and Architecture

Re: [Wikimedia-l] A transition and a new chapter.

Cristian Consonni
> Thank you, Q577729!

[...]

> Q15903779

(ROFL, you are the cool kids in town ;-) )

Goodbye Erik, best of luck for your future endeavors.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] A transition and a new chapter.

Andrew Lih
To the first Wikimedian to get a tattoo of your item number ... I salute
you.

On Mon, Apr 13, 2015 at 6:12 PM, Cristian Consonni <[hidden email]>

> > Thank you, Q577729!
>
> [...]
>
> > Q15903779
>
> (ROFL, you are the cool kids in town ;-) )
>
> Goodbye Erik, best of luck for your future endeavors.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] A transition and a new chapter.

Patricio Lorente
You are part of our living memory, Erik. We will miss you. Good luck and
hope to see you soon!

                                                         Patricio

> To the first Wikimedian to get a tattoo of your item number ... I salute
> you.
>
> On Mon, Apr 13, 2015 at 6:12 PM, Cristian Consonni <
> [hidden email]>

> > > Thank you, Q577729!
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > > Q15903779
> >
> > (ROFL, you are the cool kids in town ;-) )
> >
> > Goodbye Erik, best of luck for your future endeavors.

Patricio Lorente
Blog: http://www.patriciolorente.com.ar
Identi.ca // Twitter: @patriciolorente

Re: [Wikimedia-l] A transition and a new chapter.

Sam Klein
Ah Erik!  I have fond memories of the early ideas of wikidata and omegawiki
as well.

Your dedication and prolific ideas have changed collaboration for the
better, and I'm sure will continue to for a long time.

Good company and bright dreams,
Sam

On Mon, Apr 13, 2015 at 3:12 PM, Emmanuel Engelhart <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On 13.04.2015 20:12, Erik Moeller wrote:
>
>> I’m excited that Wikidata is growing in leaps and bounds with the help
>> of Wikimedia Germany,
>>

> Yes, from Wikidata (wiktionaryz) where I saw first your name to Wikidata (
> wikidata.org). What a journey!

Re: [Wikimedia-l] A transition and a new chapter.

MZMcBride-2
A very bittersweet departure indeed. I find myself reading the replies in
this thread and smiling at the Wikidata IDs and nodding in agreement with
the expressions of gratitude and respect for all the hard work you've put
in over the past decade. There are few people in the world who have been
involved with Wikimedia as much or who understand Wikimedia as well as you.

Pine W wrote:
>Lila, will all of Product and Engineering now report to Damon or are there
>plans to recruit a replacement for Erik? Also, who will take the Deputy
>Director role?

I think this was basically addressed in the quoted paragraph below. :-)

>On Apr 13, 2015 11:07 AM, "Lila Tretikov" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>Improving technology and execution are a major part of our Call to
>>Action, and I have been working with Erik, Damon, and others to
>>determine our path forward. Erik has been a key thought partner and
>>thought leader in this effort. We are near completion in this planning,
>>and I look forward to sharing more information with you all next Tuesday.

MZMcBride

Re: [Wikimedia-l] A transition and a new chapter.

Brad Patrick
Erik, I want to publicly offer you the heartiest congratulations for your tremendous years of service to the cause and for being a rock of principle in the movement all these years. Those who have worked with you and know you understand the significance of this shift. I choose to view the change not as a loss but a greater gain to the next project you will take on, for which we will all be the better.
Best of luck, eloquence!

Brad PatrickFormer WMF GC

[...]

Johan Jönsson
Thank you, Erik, for the time and effort you've spent on the Wikimedia
projects (and will continue spending, I hope, in some capacity).

Best of luck in your future endeavours.

//Johan Jönsson

> [...]
> the years to come, and we’ll have an update on that very soon. This is
> a very natural point for me to pursue something new.
>
> What Wikimedia does in the world is wonderful & important. I’m sure I
> will continue to cross paths with many of you in future as I continue
> to move in free culture circles, and I very much look forward to it.
>
> I’ll continue to be @ WMF full-time through April, and will make
> myself available as necessary afterwards, for when the org needs human
> institutional memory that surpasses digital archives. I wish you all
> success and joy :-)
>
> Love,
>
> Erik
> --
> Erik Möller
> VP of Product & Strategy, Wikimedia Foundation

Re: [Wikimedia-l] A transition and a new chapter.

phoebe ayers-3
Dear Erik,

On Mon, Apr 13, 2015 at 11:12 AM, Erik Moeller <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi all --
>
> As Lila noted, since January 2008 I've worn many hats at the Wikimedia
> Foundation, and in the six years before that I was a Wikipedian,
> MediaWiki developer, and member of the WMF board of trustees. I became
> involved in Wikipedia when I was 22 years old. :)

Every so often when we talk, you will surprise me by telling me about
one more thing in the Wikimedia universe that you thought of or
created or were involved in over the past many years that I didn't
realize you had a role in. It seems the list is never-ending.

Thank you: for your innovation and creativity, your (superhuman)
persistence, your boldness, your commitment to our shared values.
Thank you for your role in creating so many parts of this thing that
we now call a movement.

> I’m very interested in the technical challenges of federated
> collaboration, and am looking forward to getting my hands dirty in
> that domain. I also want to explore how to make patterns of ethics,
> policy, and self-governance more accessible and re-usable for
> communities. In short, I’m itching to immerse myself in new problem
> spaces and new ideas.

I am excited to see what's next for you! And I have no doubt that all
of us who work on collaboration will be the richer.

(First, though, I hope you have a lovely restful vacation, and then
come to Wikimania to <s>heckle us</s> hang out!).

Here's to your next projects! Your likelihood of success seems alarmingly high.*

-- Phoebe

* http://nostalgia.wikipedia.org/wiki/Why_Wikipedia_is_so_great

<at> gmail.com *