[Wikimedia-l] Aaron Swartz is dead

David Gerard-2
Killed himself.

http://tech.mit.edu/V132/N61/swartz.html

- d.

Fae

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Aaron Swartz is dead

Fae
On 12 January 2013 12:04, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Killed himself.
>
> http://tech.mit.edu/V132/N61/swartz.html

Awful news.

--
Ashley Van Haeften (Fae) [hidden email]
Wikimedia Chapters Association Chair http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/WCA

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Aaron Swartz is dead

Andrea Zanni-2
I never met Aaron, nut this is very, very sad news.

On Sat, Jan 12, 2013 at 1:37 PM, Fae <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 12 January 2013 12:04, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Killed himself.
> >
> > http://tech.mit.edu/V132/N61/swartz.html
>
> Awful news.
>
> --
> Ashley Van Haeften (Fae) [hidden email]
> Wikimedia Chapters Association Chair http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/WCA
> Guide to email tags: http://j.mp/mfae

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Aaron Swartz is dead

Ziko van Dijk-2
Sorry, I don't know better - in what way was A. S. related to the
Wikimedia movement?
Kind regards
Ziko

2013/1/12 Andrea Zanni <[hidden email]>:

> I never met Aaron, nut this is very, very sad news.
>

> On Sat, Jan 12, 2013 at 1:37 PM, Fae <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 12 January 2013 12:04, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Killed himself.
>> >
>> > http://tech.mit.edu/V132/N61/swartz.html
>>
>> Awful news.
>>
>> --
>> Ashley Van Haeften (Fae) [hidden email]
>> Wikimedia Chapters Association Chair http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/WCA
>> Guide to email tags: http://j.mp/mfae

Vereniging Wikimedia Nederland
dr. Ziko van Dijk, voorzitter
http://wmnederland.nl/

Wikimedia Nederland
Postbus 167
3500 AD Utrecht

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Aaron Swartz is dead

Mathias Schindler-2
He was an author (user:aaronsw) and developer, among others.

On Sat, Jan 12, 2013 at 4:00 PM, Ziko van Dijk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sorry, I don't know better - in what way was A. S. related to the
> Wikimedia movement?
> Kind regards
> Ziko
>
> 2013/1/12 Andrea Zanni <[hidden email]>:
>> I never met Aaron, nut this is very, very sad news.

>>> Awful news.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Ashley Van Haeften (Fae) [hidden email]
>>> Wikimedia Chapters Association Chair http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/WCA
>>> Guide to email tags: http://j.mp/mfae

> Vereniging Wikimedia Nederland
> dr. Ziko van Dijk, voorzitter
> http://wmnederland.nl/
>
> Wikimedia Nederland
> Postbus 167
> 3500 AD Utrecht

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Aaron Swartz is dead

Everton Zanella Alvarenga
I just created an article for him on Portuguese Wikipedia.

I want to improve about this "On July 19, 2011, he was arrested for
harvesting academic journal articles from JSTOR."

Very sad.

Tom

On Sat, Jan 12, 2013 at 1:00 PM, Ziko van Dijk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sorry, I don't know better - in what way was A. S. related to the
> Wikimedia movement?
> Kind regards
> Ziko
>
> 2013/1/12 Andrea Zanni <[hidden email]>:
>> I never met Aaron, nut this is very, very sad news.

>>> Awful news.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Ashley Van Haeften (Fae) [hidden email]
>>> Wikimedia Chapters Association Chair http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/WCA
>>> Guide to email tags: http://j.mp/mfae

> Vereniging Wikimedia Nederland
> dr. Ziko van Dijk, voorzitter
> http://wmnederland.nl/
>
> Wikimedia Nederland
> Postbus 167
> 3500 AD Utrecht

Everton Zanella Alvarenga (also Tom)
"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more
useful than a life spent doing nothing."

On 12 January 2013 15:01, Mathias Schindler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> He was an author (user:aaronsw) and developer, among others.

Also came up with the study showing that most content contribution is
done by drive-by editors:

http://www.aaronsw.com/weblog/whowriteswikipedia

So a few hundred people do the curation work - but the original
writing is done by lots and lots of people.

- d.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Aaron Swartz is dead

Patricio Lorente
2013/1/12 Mathias Schindler <[hidden email]>:
> He was an author (user:aaronsw) and developer, among others.

And he was one of the first to investigate the dynamics of content
creation in Wikipedia. See
http://www.aaronsw.com/weblog/whowriteswikipedia

I never met him, though I mentioned him in many presentations about
Wikipedia. Really sad news.

                                                          Patricio

--
Patricio Lorente
Blog: http://www.patriciolorente.com.ar

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Aaron Swartz is dead

Sumana Harihareswara-2
It's shocking, horrible news.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:AaronSw/Election - he ran for the
Board in 2006.  See http://www.aaronsw.com/weblog/morewikipedians
"Making More Wikipedians".

Some more links and memories at
http://www.metafilter.com/123777/Open-access-open-internet-closed-book .

--
Sumana Harihareswara
Engineering Community Manager

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Aaron Swartz is dead

Erik Moeller-4
As has been noted, Aaron (User:AaronSw) was a prolific Wikipedian
since 2003 and a candidate in the 2006 Board election. His writings
during his election campaign are worth re-reading:

http://www.aaronsw.com/weblog/wikiroads
http://www.aaronsw.com/weblog/whowriteswikipedia
http://www.aaronsw.com/weblog/whorunswikipedia
http://www.aaronsw.com/weblog/morewikipedians
http://www.aaronsw.com/weblog/morewikipedias
http://www.aaronsw.com/weblog/wikicodeislaw

He was also described as "one of the early architects of Creative
Commons" by Larry Lessig [1], and founded infogami which merged into
Reddit, so he's sometimes called a Reddit co-founder as well.

Since then he's turned to activism and co-founded Demand Progress
which has been rallying opposition to bad Internet law, including
SOPA/PIPA.

Cory Doctorow's obituary is a very personal goodbye and includes a
video of Aaron's talk "How we stopped SOPA".

http://boingboing.net/2013/01/12/rip-aaron-swartz.html

Aaron was an intense, passionate and focused intellectual who
dedicated his life to changing the world for the better - and he did.
It's a shocking loss and deeply sad that he left us so early, that he
saw no other way. May he rest in peace.

Erik

[1] http://www.lessig.org/2006/09/if-i-could-vote-on-the-wikiped/

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Aaron Swartz is dead

Everton Zanella Alvarenga
[...]

"The first site I built was called get.info. The idea was to have a
free, online encyclopedia that anyone could edit or add things to or
reorganize, right through their web browser. I built the whole thing,
added lots of cool features, tested it on all sorts of browsers, and
was very proud of it. It actually won even a prize for one of the best
new web applications that year. Unfortunately, the only people I knew
at the time were other kids in my school, so I didn't really have
anyone writing a lot of encyclopedia articles. (Luckily, several years
later, my mother pointed me to this new site called "Wikipedia" that
was doing the same thing.)"

[...]

From "How to Get a Job Like Mine" <https://aaronsw.jottit.com/howtoget>.

Thanks for the links bellow. This was a really horrible lost for all of us.

Tom

On Sat, Jan 12, 2013 at 2:09 PM, Erik Moeller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> As has been noted, Aaron (User:AaronSw) was a prolific Wikipedian
> since 2003 and a candidate in the 2006 Board election. His writings
> during his election campaign are worth re-reading:
>
> http://www.aaronsw.com/weblog/wikiroads
> http://www.aaronsw.com/weblog/whowriteswikipedia
> http://www.aaronsw.com/weblog/whorunswikipedia
> http://www.aaronsw.com/weblog/morewikipedians
> http://www.aaronsw.com/weblog/morewikipedias
> http://www.aaronsw.com/weblog/wikicodeislaw
>
> He was also described as "one of the early architects of Creative
> Commons" by Larry Lessig [1], and founded infogami which merged into
> Reddit, so he's sometimes called a Reddit co-founder as well.
>
> Since then he's turned to activism and co-founded Demand Progress
> which has been rallying opposition to bad Internet law, including
> SOPA/PIPA.
>
> Cory Doctorow's obituary is a very personal goodbye and includes a
> video of Aaron's talk "How we stopped SOPA".
>
> http://boingboing.net/2013/01/12/rip-aaron-swartz.html
>
> Aaron was an intense, passionate and focused intellectual who
> dedicated his life to changing the world for the better - and he did.
> It's a shocking loss and deeply sad that he left us so early, that he
> saw no other way. May he rest in peace.
>
> Erik
>
> [1] http://www.lessig.org/2006/09/if-i-could-vote-on-the-wikiped/

Everton Zanella Alvarenga (also Tom)
"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more
useful than a life spent doing nothing."

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Aaron Swartz is dead

Ziko van Dijk-2
Thanks for the information, and my condoleances to those who knew him.
Sounds like a very, very interesting person.
Kind regards
Ziko

2013/1/12 Everton Zanella Alvarenga <[hidden email]>:

> [...]
>
> "The first site I built was called get.info. The idea was to have a
> free, online encyclopedia that anyone could edit or add things to or
> reorganize, right through their web browser. I built the whole thing,
> added lots of cool features, tested it on all sorts of browsers, and
> was very proud of it. It actually won even a prize for one of the best
> new web applications that year. Unfortunately, the only people I knew
> at the time were other kids in my school, so I didn't really have
> anyone writing a lot of encyclopedia articles. (Luckily, several years
> later, my mother pointed me to this new site called "Wikipedia" that
> was doing the same thing.)"
>
> [...]
>
> From "How to Get a Job Like Mine" <https://aaronsw.jottit.com/howtoget>.
>
> Thanks for the links bellow. This was a really horrible lost for all of us.
>
> Tom
>
> On Sat, Jan 12, 2013 at 2:09 PM, Erik Moeller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> As has been noted, Aaron (User:AaronSw) was a prolific Wikipedian
>> since 2003 and a candidate in the 2006 Board election. His writings
>> during his election campaign are worth re-reading:
>>
>> http://www.aaronsw.com/weblog/wikiroads
>> http://www.aaronsw.com/weblog/whowriteswikipedia
>> http://www.aaronsw.com/weblog/whorunswikipedia
>> http://www.aaronsw.com/weblog/morewikipedians
>> http://www.aaronsw.com/weblog/morewikipedias
>> http://www.aaronsw.com/weblog/wikicodeislaw
>>
>> He was also described as "one of the early architects of Creative
>> Commons" by Larry Lessig [1], and founded infogami which merged into
>> Reddit, so he's sometimes called a Reddit co-founder as well.
>>
>> Since then he's turned to activism and co-founded Demand Progress
>> which has been rallying opposition to bad Internet law, including
>> SOPA/PIPA.
>>
>> Cory Doctorow's obituary is a very personal goodbye and includes a
>> video of Aaron's talk "How we stopped SOPA".
>>
>> http://boingboing.net/2013/01/12/rip-aaron-swartz.html
>>
>> Aaron was an intense, passionate and focused intellectual who
>> dedicated his life to changing the world for the better - and he did.
>> It's a shocking loss and deeply sad that he left us so early, that he
>> saw no other way. May he rest in peace.
>>
>> Erik
>>
>> [1] http://www.lessig.org/2006/09/if-i-could-vote-on-the-wikiped/

> Everton Zanella Alvarenga (also Tom)
> "A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more
> useful than a life spent doing nothing."

Vereniging Wikimedia Nederland
dr. Ziko van Dijk, voorzitter
http://wmnederland.nl/

Wikimedia Nederland
Postbus 167
3500 AD Utrecht

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Aaron Swartz is dead

Gregory Varnum-2
Condolences to all that knew him - very tragic - especially at such a young age.

If my memory is correct (and that's a gamble) I seem to recall knowing about him more from his work on early RSS around the age of 13.  I was in college doing websites at the time and recall being rather impressed with someone so young making such a widespread impact on the core of the web.

-greg aka varnent

On 12 Jan, 2013, at 12:10 PM, Ziko van Dijk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>>
>>> Since then he's turned to activism and co-founded Demand Progress
>>> which has been rallying opposition to bad Internet law, including
>>> SOPA/PIPA.
>>>
>>> Cory Doctorow's obituary is a very personal goodbye and includes a
>>> video of Aaron's talk "How we stopped SOPA".
>>>
>>> http://boingboing.net/2013/01/12/rip-aaron-swartz.html
>>>
>>> Aaron was an intense, passionate and focused intellectual who
>>> dedicated his life to changing the world for the better - and he did.
>>> It's a shocking loss and deeply sad that he left us so early, that he
>>> saw no other way. May he rest in peace.
>>>
>>> Erik
>>>
>>> [1] http://www.lessig.org/2006/09/if-i-could-vote-on-the-wikiped/

>> --
>> Everton Zanella Alvarenga (also Tom)
>> "A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more
>> useful than a life spent doing nothing."

Kat Walsh-4
On Sat, Jan 12, 2013 at 4:04 AM, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Killed himself.
>
> http://tech.mit.edu/V132/N61/swartz.html
>

> - d.

Oh, Aaron. I remember meeting him, after reading some of his writing, and
being surprised to find the person behind the mental voice, introverted and
thoughtful and a little awkward, in contrast to the boldness of his blog.

I considered him a friend, though I wish I'd known him better; I remember
talking to him, often in a smaller gathering of nerds after some conference
or event, about copyright, the open web, Wikipedia, social structures, and
usually about some problem or another that existed in the world. And unlike
almost anyone else, a short time later Aaron would have founded an
organization or taken on some big project or pulled some crazy stunt to try
to fix that problem, because that's just what he did. And sometimes he
succeeded.

What a huge loss.

-Kat

Your donations keep Wikipedia free:
https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Donate
Web: http://www.mindspillage.org Email: [hidden email],
[hidden email]
(G)AIM, Freenode, gchat, identi.ca, twitter, various social sites:
mindspillage
FT2

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Aaron Swartz is dead

FT2
A few posts if anyone here's not aware of Aaron  (see also his Wikipedia
bio)

   -
   http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/13/technology/aaron-swartz-internet-activist-dies-at-26.html
   - http://www.aaronsw.com/weblog/verysick - Aaron's blog post on himself
   - http://lessig.tumblr.com/post/40347463044/prosecutor-as-bully - by
   Lawrence Lessig
   -
   http://lj.libraryjournal.com/2013/01/academic-libraries/many-jstor-journal-archives-now-free-to-public-
3 days ago

FT2

On Sat, Jan 12, 2013 at 5:27 PM, Kat Walsh <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 12, 2013 at 4:04 AM, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Killed himself.
> >
> > http://tech.mit.edu/V132/N61/swartz.html
> >

> > - d.
> >

> Oh, Aaron. I remember meeting him, after reading some of his writing, and
> being surprised to find the person behind the mental voice, introverted and
> thoughtful and a little awkward, in contrast to the boldness of his blog.
>
> I considered him a friend, though I wish I'd known him better; I remember
> talking to him, often in a smaller gathering of nerds after some conference
> or event, about copyright, the open web, Wikipedia, social structures, and
> usually about some problem or another that existed in the world. And unlike
> almost anyone else, a short time later Aaron would have founded an
> organization or taken on some big project or pulled some crazy stunt to try
> to fix that problem, because that's just what he did. And sometimes he
> succeeded.
>
> What a huge loss.
>
> -Kat

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Aaron Swartz is dead

Todd Allen
This is terrible to hear. We've lost a brilliant mind far too soon.

On Sat, Jan 12, 2013 at 5:04 AM, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Killed himself.
>
> http://tech.mit.edu/V132/N61/swartz.html
>

> - d.

Freedom is the right to say that 2+2=4. From this all else follows.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Aaron Swartz is dead

Keegan Peterzell
On Sat, Jan 12, 2013 at 9:03 AM, Everton Zanella Alvarenga <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I just created an article for him on Portuguese Wikipedia.
>
> I want to improve about this "On July 19, 2011, he was arrested for
> harvesting academic journal articles from JSTOR."
>
> Very sad.
>
> Tom

This link should help expand on that, "Internet activist accused of data
theft."

 http://boingboing.net/2011/07/19/swartz.html

--
~Keegan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Keegan

On 12 January 2013 19:37, FT2 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> A few posts if anyone here's not aware of Aaron  (see also his Wikipedia
> bio)

Even Tim Berners-Lee weighs in (and he basically keeps quiet about
almost everything):

https://twitter.com/timberners_lee/statuses/290140454211698689

"Aaron dead. World wanderers, we have lost a wise elder. Hackers for
right, we are one down. Parents all, we have lost a child. Let us
weep."

- d.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Aaron Swartz is dead

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Aaron Swartz is dead

Craig Franklin-2
What a dreadful loss.  I never knew Aaron except through his work and his
writings, but he always came across as a confident person who was truly
passionate about the work that he did.  We're all the poorer for his
passing.  My condolences to everyone on this list who knew him.

Regards,
Craig Franklin