[Wikimedia-l] Affiliate-selected Board seats update

[Wikimedia-l] Affiliate-selected Board seats update

Chris Keating-2
Dear all,

The deadline for nominations in the Affiliate Selected Board Seats process
passed on Tuesday, and 10 candidates have been nominated:

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Affiliate-selected_Board_seats/2016/Nominations

This is more candidates than any previous affiliate/chapter-selected
process, and I am pleased to note that 4 of the candidates are women and 5
are from countries not in North American or Western Europe. All candidates
who have received one or more endorsements from voting organisations by 23
March will be added to the ballot for the election.

While only Chapters and the single Thematic Organization have a vote in
this election, all community members are invited to participate by asking
questions to the candidates, here:

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Affiliate-selected_Board_seats/2016/Questions

Help translating candidate statements into other languages is also much
appreciated.

(For more details about this process, please see here:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Affiliate-selected_Board_seats/2016 )

Many thanks,

Chris Keating
(one of the election facilitators)

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Affiliate-selected Board seats update

Itzik - Wikimedia Israel
Hi Chris,

How and where the chapter will vote?
I offered to do it privately, in order to avoid current votes to influence
others chapters.

Itzik

- Sent from mobile
On Mar 10, 2016 15:35, "Chris Keating" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> The deadline for nominations in the Affiliate Selected Board Seats process
> passed on Tuesday, and 10 candidates have been nominated:
>

> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Affiliate-selected_Board_seats/2016/Nominations
>
> This is more candidates than any previous affiliate/chapter-selected
> process, and I am pleased to note that 4 of the candidates are women and 5
> are from countries not in North American or Western Europe. All candidates
> who have received one or more endorsements from voting organisations by 23
> March will be added to the ballot for the election.
>
> While only Chapters and the single Thematic Organization have a vote in
> this election, all community members are invited to participate by asking
> questions to the candidates, here:
>

> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Affiliate-selected_Board_seats/2016/Questions
>
> Help translating candidate statements into other languages is also much
> appreciated.
>
> (For more details about this process, please see here:
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Affiliate-selected_Board_seats/2016 )
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Chris Keating
> (one of the election facilitators)

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Affiliate-selected Board seats update

John Mark Vandenberg
Hi Itzik, do you mean a proper secret ballot?

On Fri, Mar 11, 2016 at 1:52 AM, Itzik - Wikimedia Israel
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>
> How and where the chapter will vote?
> I offered to do it privately, in order to avoid current votes to influence
> others chapters.
>
> Itzik
>
> - Sent from mobile
> On Mar 10, 2016 15:35, "Chris Keating" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> The deadline for nominations in the Affiliate Selected Board Seats process
>> passed on Tuesday, and 10 candidates have been nominated:
>>

>> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Affiliate-selected_Board_seats/2016/Nominations
>>
>> This is more candidates than any previous affiliate/chapter-selected
>> process, and I am pleased to note that 4 of the candidates are women and 5
>> are from countries not in North American or Western Europe. All candidates
>> who have received one or more endorsements from voting organisations by 23
>> March will be added to the ballot for the election.
>>
>> While only Chapters and the single Thematic Organization have a vote in
>> this election, all community members are invited to participate by asking
>> questions to the candidates, here:
>>

>> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Affiliate-selected_Board_seats/2016/Questions
>>
>> Help translating candidate statements into other languages is also much
>> appreciated.
>>
>> (For more details about this process, please see here:
>> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Affiliate-selected_Board_seats/2016 )
>>
>> Many thanks,
>>
>> Chris Keating
>> (one of the election facilitators)

John Vandenberg

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Affiliate-selected Board seats update

Chris Keating-2
Hi Itzik,

When the process was being discussed in the Autumn, there wasn't any
consensus to change it to a fully secret ballot. So, as last time, votes
will be cast on a wiki-table on the Chapters wiki.

Regards,

Chris

On Thu, Mar 10, 2016 at 6:52 PM, Itzik - Wikimedia Israel <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>
> How and where the chapter will vote?
> I offered to do it privately, in order to avoid current votes to influence
> others chapters.
>
> Itzik
>
> - Sent from mobile
> On Mar 10, 2016 15:35, "Chris Keating" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Dear all,
> >
> > The deadline for nominations in the Affiliate Selected Board Seats
> process
> > passed on Tuesday, and 10 candidates have been nominated:
> >

> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Affiliate-selected_Board_seats/2016/Nominations
> >
> > This is more candidates than any previous affiliate/chapter-selected
> > process, and I am pleased to note that 4 of the candidates are women and
> 5
> > are from countries not in North American or Western Europe. All
> candidates
> > who have received one or more endorsements from voting organisations by
> 23
> > March will be added to the ballot for the election.
> >
> > While only Chapters and the single Thematic Organization have a vote in
> > this election, all community members are invited to participate by asking
> > questions to the candidates, here:
> >

> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Affiliate-selected_Board_seats/2016/Questions
> >
> > Help translating candidate statements into other languages is also much
> > appreciated.
> >
> > (For more details about this process, please see here:
> > https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Affiliate-selected_Board_seats/2016 )
> >
> > Many thanks,
> >
> > Chris Keating
> > (one of the election facilitators)

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Affiliate-selected Board seats update

Gordon Joly
On 11/03/16 10:05, Chris Keating wrote:
> Hi Itzik,
>
> When the process was being discussed in the Autumn, there wasn't any
> consensus to change it to a fully secret ballot. So, as last time, votes
> will be cast on a wiki-table on the Chapters wiki.
>
> Regards,
>
> Chris

Do Chapters have to ask their membership, or are they empowered to vote
without going back to the members?

Gordo

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Affiliate-selected Board seats update

Cristian Consonni
Il 11/Mar/2016 11:50, "Gordon Joly" <[hidden email]> ha scritto:
> Do Chapters have to ask their membership, or are they empowered to vote
> without going back to the members?

Practices vary widely. Some chapters discuss how to vote in their (annual)
general assemblies and they finally vote on who to vote. In other chapters
it's the board that decides. In these cases usually there is a formal
deliberation by the board and those are usually ratified by the members in
the next general assembly.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Affiliate-selected Board seats update

John Mark Vandenberg
On Fri, Mar 11, 2016 at 6:31 PM, Cristian Consonni
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Il 11/Mar/2016 11:50, "Gordon Joly" <[hidden email]> ha scritto:
>> Do Chapters have to ask their membership, or are they empowered to vote
>> without going back to the members?
>
> Practices vary widely. Some chapters discuss how to vote in their (annual)
> general assemblies and they finally vote on who to vote. In other chapters
> it's the board that decides. In these cases usually there is a formal
> deliberation by the board and those are usually ratified by the members in
> the next general assembly.

Can we document this on meta?  i.e. a table of which affiliates do what?

--
John Vandenberg

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Affiliate-selected Board seats update

Gnangarra
It would be interesting to see how affiliates do make decision in this
process as we have only 6 weeks(4 after the endorsements are finalised)
from close of nominations to final voting

Wikimedia Australia has invited it members to consider the list of
nominations and whether the community will endorse any candidates, once the
nominations are finalised with a list of endorsed candidates members will
again be asked to express an opinion on who to vote for, with the committee
voting according to consensus.

On 11 March 2016 at 20:07, John Mark Vandenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 11, 2016 at 6:31 PM, Cristian Consonni
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Il 11/Mar/2016 11:50, "Gordon Joly" <[hidden email]> ha scritto:
> >> Do Chapters have to ask their membership, or are they empowered to vote
> >> without going back to the members?
> >
> > Practices vary widely. Some chapters discuss how to vote in their
> (annual)
> > general assemblies and they finally vote on who to vote. In other
> chapters
> > it's the board that decides. In these cases usually there is a formal
> > deliberation by the board and those are usually ratified by the members
> in
> > the next general assembly.
>
> Can we document this on meta?  i.e. a table of which affiliates do what?
>
> --
> John Vandenberg

GN.
President Wikimedia Australia

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Affiliate-selected Board seats update

Itzik - Wikimedia Israel
I don't like the idea of others chapters influence others with their votes.
We have many candidates and a lot of politics behind.

WMIL will have their board meeting at the end of the month, but if the case
is that the votes are public, I'll advice my board to not publish his vote
until the last moment in order to have fair election, without any chapter
looking on the others and consider whatever to vote to each of the
candidates because of the number of votes they already have.

I'll truly advising others to do the same.

Itzik

- Sent from mobile