The Affiliations Committee – the committee responsible for guiding
volunteers in establishing Wikimedia chapters, thematic organizations, and
user groups – is looking for advisors!
The main role of the Affiliations Committee is to guide groups of
volunteers that are interested in forming Wikimedia affiliates. We review
applications from new groups, answer questions and provide advice about the
different Wikimedia affiliation models and processes, review affiliate
bylaws for compliance with requirements and best practices, and advise the
Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees on issues connected to chapters,
thematic organizations and Wikimedia user groups.
We are looking for advisors who are excited by the challenge of empowering
volunteers to get organized and form communities that further our mission
around the world. In exchange, committee advisors selected will gain the
experience of supporting their world-wide colleagues to develop their
communities as well as personal development in guiding organizational
development, facilitating affiliate partnerships, and professional
We look for a healthy mix of different skill sets in our advisors,
including the following key skills and experience:
1. Strong understanding of the structure and work of Wikimedia
affiliates and the Wikimedia Foundation.
2. Readiness to participate in political discussions on the role and
future of affiliates, models of affiliation, and similar topics.
3. Availability of up to 2 hours per week, and the time to participate
in a monthly two-hour voice/video meeting
4. International orientation and ability to work and communicate with
other languages and cultures.
5. Knowledge of different legal systems and experience in community
building and organizing are a plus.
6. Fluency in English is required; skills in other languages are a major
7. Experience with or in an active Wikimedia affiliate is a major plus.
8. Strong track record of effective collaboration (such as evidenced
skills at facilitation, mediation, negotiation, and so forth) is a major
9. Willingness to use one's real name in committee activities (including
contacts with current and potential affiliates) when appropriate.
As a reflection of our commitment to openness, transparency, and bilateral
engagement with the Wikimedia community, the 2019 advisor selection process
will include a public review and comment period. All applications received
by the committee will be posted on Meta, and the community will be invited
to provide comments and feedback about each candidate. At the end of the
public comment period, the applications will be voted on by the members of
the committee, taking into account comments put forward by the committee's
members and advisors, Wikimedia Foundation staff and board liaisons, and
the community. A final decision will be made in October 2019, with new
advisors expected to begin later that month.
*How to apply*
If you are interested in advising the committee, please send an email
announcing your application to [hidden email] by 20 September
2019. Your application must include the following information:
- Your full name and Wikimedia username
- A statement describing your relevant experience, skills, and
motivation for joining the committee as an advisor.
- Answers to the following three questions:
1. How do you think affiliates work best together to partner on
effective projects and initiatives?
2. What do you see as the role of affiliates in the Wikimedia
movement in the next three years?
3. What do you feel you will bring as an advisor to the committee
that makes you a uniquely qualified candidate?
If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact us. We are
happy to chat or have a phone call with anyone about our work if this helps
them decide to apply. Please distribute this call among your networks, and
do apply if you are interested!
Chair, Affiliations Committee
Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines and https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia-l
New messages to: [hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
|Free forum by Nabble||Edit this page|