[Wikimedia-l] Amazon Echo' use of Wikipedia; CC license compliance?

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Amazon Echo' use of Wikipedia; CC license compliance?

Andreas Kolbe-2
Hi all,

I checked in with Adele today, to ask about progress on the Amazon Echo
licensing issue, and whether she had a rough idea when she'd be able to
report back to us.

Adele was happy for me to pass on here that we're unlikely to hear anything
further about this until September, as Wikimania is looming, and she will
be off on a much-needed holiday after that.

Adele added that the timeline really depends on the Amazon staff they
contacted. While she will let us know as soon as she hears from them, the
call required for this type of outreach will probably only happen in
September.

Best,
Andreas

On Fri, Jul 28, 2017 at 1:29 AM, Adele Vrana <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am Adele Vrana, Director of Strategic Partnerships at the Foundation.
>
> We have contacts at Amazon and will seek to clarify the questions raised on
> this thread. I will make sure to circle back with you once we have an
> update.
>
> All the best,
> Adele
>
> On Thu, Jul 27, 2017 at 10:13 AM, Simon Poole <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> > Am 27.07.2017 um 18:37 schrieb Andreas Kolbe:
> > >
> > > Edward Joseph "Ed" Snowden ...
> > >
> > > I will not spend an hour trying to identify the exact article version
> > that
> > > matches Alexa's output in that video best, but it's safe to assume that
> > > this inserted "Ed", too, came from Wikipedia, even though it had gone
> by
> > > the time the video was uploaded to YouTube.
> >
> > The current (full) answer is
> >
> > 'Edward Joseph "Ed" Snowden, the American computer professional former
> > CIA employee, and government contractor who leaked classified
> > information from the U.S. National Security Agency in 2013.'
> >
> > Now obviously there could be -lots- going on behind the scenes, for
> > example long term caching of search results (difficult to believe that
> > Bing would allow that if it is really from them, but who knows) and so
> on.
> >
> > Simon

> *Adele Vrana*
> *Strategic Partnerships - Global Reach*
> Wikimedia Foundation
> +1 (415) 839-6885 ext. 6773
> [hidden email]
>
> *Imagine a world in which every single human being can freely share in the
> sum of all knowledge. That's our commitment. Donate.
> <https://donate.wikimedia.org/>*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Amazon Echo' use of Wikipedia; CC license compliance?

Anthony Cole
I was speaking with Barbara Page last night (Barbara's highlighting of this
issue in a Wikipediocracy blog post
http://wikipediocracy.com/2017/07/24/alexa/ prompted Andreas to open this
discussion) last night and she told me when she asks Alexa about ovarian
cancer these days, Alexa begins with "According to Wikipedia..." Can anyone
else with Alexa confirm this?

On Sat, 5 Aug 2017 at 3:55 am, Andreas Kolbe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I checked in with Adele today, to ask about progress on the Amazon Echo
> licensing issue, and whether she had a rough idea when she'd be able to
> report back to us.
>
> Adele was happy for me to pass on here that we're unlikely to hear anything
> further about this until September, as Wikimania is looming, and she will
> be off on a much-needed holiday after that.
>
> Adele added that the timeline really depends on the Amazon staff they
> contacted. While she will let us know as soon as she hears from them, the
> call required for this type of outreach will probably only happen in
> September.
>
> Best,
> Andreas
>
> On Fri, Jul 28, 2017 at 1:29 AM, Adele Vrana <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am Adele Vrana, Director of Strategic Partnerships at the Foundation.
> >
> > We have contacts at Amazon and will seek to clarify the questions raised
> on
> > this thread. I will make sure to circle back with you once we have an
> > update.
> >
> > All the best,
> > Adele

> > > that
> that
> > by
> > >
> > > The current (full) answer is
> > >
> > > 'Edward Joseph "Ed" Snowden, the American computer professional former
> > > CIA employee, and government contractor who leaked classified
> > > information from the U.S. National Security Agency in 2013.'
> > >
> > > Now obviously there could be -lots- going on behind the scenes, for
> > > example long term caching of search results (difficult to believe that
> > > Bing would allow that if it is really from them, but who knows) and so
> > on.
> > >
> > > Simon

> > *Adele Vrana*
> > *Strategic Partnerships - Global Reach*
> > Wikimedia Foundation
> > +1 (415) 839-6885 ext. 6773
> > [hidden email]
> >
> > *Imagine a world in which every single human being can freely share in
> the
> > sum of all knowledge. That's our commitment. Donate.
> > <https://donate.wikimedia.org/>*

Anthony Cole

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Amazon Echo' use of Wikipedia; CC license compliance?

Adele Vrana
I just tested and it doesn't for me. I can send you the audio if you are
interested.

On Thu, Sep 21, 2017 at 9:27 AM, Anthony Cole <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I was speaking with Barbara Page last night (Barbara's highlighting of this
> issue in a Wikipediocracy blog post
> http://wikipediocracy.com/2017/07/24/alexa/ prompted Andreas to open this
> discussion) last night and she told me when she asks Alexa about ovarian
> cancer these days, Alexa begins with "According to Wikipedia..." Can anyone
> else with Alexa confirm this?
>
> On Sat, 5 Aug 2017 at 3:55 am, Andreas Kolbe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I checked in with Adele today, to ask about progress on the Amazon Echo
> > licensing issue, and whether she had a rough idea when she'd be able to
> > report back to us.
> >
> > Adele was happy for me to pass on here that we're unlikely to hear
> anything
> > further about this until September, as Wikimania is looming, and she will
> > be off on a much-needed holiday after that.
> >
> > Adele added that the timeline really depends on the Amazon staff they
> > contacted. While she will let us know as soon as she hears from them, the
> > call required for this type of outreach will probably only happen in
> > September.
> >
> > Best,
> > Andreas
> >
> > On Fri, Jul 28, 2017 at 1:29 AM, Adele Vrana <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I am Adele Vrana, Director of Strategic Partnerships at the Foundation.
> > >
> > > We have contacts at Amazon and will seek to clarify the questions
> raised
> > on
> > > this thread. I will make sure to circle back with you once we have an
> > > update.
> > >
> > > All the best,
> > > Adele

> version
> > that
> gone
> > > by

> former

> that
> so
> > > on.

> > > --
> > > *Adele Vrana*
> > > *Strategic Partnerships - Global Reach*
> > > Wikimedia Foundation
> > > +1 (415) 839-6885 ext. 6773
> > > [hidden email]
> > >
> > > *Imagine a world in which every single human being can freely share in
> > the
> > > sum of all knowledge. That's our commitment. Donate.
> > > <https://donate.wikimedia.org/>*

> Anthony Cole

*Adele Vrana*
*Strategic Partnerships - Global Reach*
Wikimedia Foundation
+1 (415) 839-6885 ext. 6773

sum of all knowledge. That's our commitment. Donate.
<https://donate.wikimedia.org/>*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Amazon Echo' use of Wikipedia; CC license compliance?

Amazon Sec. Team messages-noreply@amazon.com
I tried quite a lot (around 10 times) and succeded to get one saying ‘here’s something I found from Wikipedia.’ I have it recorded, but uploading it fails... Will try later.

--
Yongmin
Sent from my iPhone

2017. 9. 22. 01:27, Anthony Cole <[hidden email]> 작성:

> I was speaking with Barbara Page last night (Barbara's highlighting of this
> issue in a Wikipediocracy blog post
> http://wikipediocracy.com/2017/07/24/alexa/ prompted Andreas to open this
> discussion) last night and she told me when she asks Alexa about ovarian
> cancer these days, Alexa begins with "According to Wikipedia..." Can anyone
> else with Alexa confirm this?
>
>> On Sat, 5 Aug 2017 at 3:55 am, Andreas Kolbe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I checked in with Adele today, to ask about progress on the Amazon Echo
>> licensing issue, and whether she had a rough idea when she'd be able to
>> report back to us.
>>
>> Adele was happy for me to pass on here that we're unlikely to hear anything
>> further about this until September, as Wikimania is looming, and she will
>> be off on a much-needed holiday after that.
>>
>> Adele added that the timeline really depends on the Amazon staff they
>> contacted. While she will let us know as soon as she hears from them, the
>> call required for this type of outreach will probably only happen in
>> September.
>>
>> Best,
>> Andreas
>>
>>> On Fri, Jul 28, 2017 at 1:29 AM, Adele Vrana <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I am Adele Vrana, Director of Strategic Partnerships at the Foundation.
>>>
>>> We have contacts at Amazon and will seek to clarify the questions raised
>> on
>>> this thread. I will make sure to circle back with you once we have an
>>> update.
>>>
>>> All the best,
>>> Adele

>> that
>>> by

>>> on.

>>> --
>>> *Adele Vrana*
>>> *Strategic Partnerships - Global Reach*
>>> Wikimedia Foundation
>>> +1 (415) 839-6885 ext. 6773
>>> [hidden email]
>>>
>>> *Imagine a world in which every single human being can freely share in
>> the
>>> sum of all knowledge. That's our commitment. Donate.
>>> <https://donate.wikimedia.org/>*

> Anthony Cole

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Amazon Echo' use of Wikipedia; CC license compliance?

Anthony Cole
Thank you Adele and Yongmin. I'll ask Barbara to clarify next time we chat.

On Fri, 22 Sep 2017 at 12:49 am, Yongmin H. <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I tried quite a lot (around 10 times) and succeded to get one saying
> ‘here’s something I found from Wikipedia.’ I have it recorded, but
> uploading it fails... Will try later.
>
> --
> Yongmin
> Sent from my iPhone
> https://wp.revi.blog
> Text licensed under CC BY ND 2.0 KR
> Please note that this address is list-only address and any non-mailing
> list mails will be treated as spam.
> Please use https://encrypt.to/0x947f156f16250de39788c3c35b625da5beff197a.
>
> 2017. 9. 22. 01:27, Anthony Cole <[hidden email]> 작성:
>
> > I was speaking with Barbara Page last night (Barbara's highlighting of
> this
> > issue in a Wikipediocracy blog post
> > http://wikipediocracy.com/2017/07/24/alexa/ prompted Andreas to open
> this
> > discussion) last night and she told me when she asks Alexa about ovarian
> > cancer these days, Alexa begins with "According to Wikipedia..." Can
> anyone
> > else with Alexa confirm this?
> >
> >> On Sat, 5 Aug 2017 at 3:55 am, Andreas Kolbe <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> I checked in with Adele today, to ask about progress on the Amazon Echo
> >> licensing issue, and whether she had a rough idea when she'd be able to
> >> report back to us.
> >>
> >> Adele was happy for me to pass on here that we're unlikely to hear
> anything
> >> further about this until September, as Wikimania is looming, and she
> will
> >> be off on a much-needed holiday after that.
> >>
> >> Adele added that the timeline really depends on the Amazon staff they
> >> contacted. While she will let us know as soon as she hears from them,
> the
> >> call required for this type of outreach will probably only happen in
> >> September.
> >>
> >> Best,
> >> Andreas

> raised
> >> on

> >> that

> >> the

> > Anthony Cole

Anthony Cole

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Amazon Echo' use of Wikipedia; CC license compliance?

The Cunctator
Would love for an update. Wikipedia license doesn't just call for
attribution, but for copyleft to be preserved.