[Wikimedia-l] [Announcement] James Forrester joins WMF as Technical Product Analyst

[Wikimedia-l] [Announcement] James Forrester joins WMF as Technical Product Analyst

Howie Fung
Everyone,

It’s my pleasure to announce that James Forrester is joining our San
Francisco office as a Technical Product Analyst, supporting the Visual
Editor team. James started his work as a remote contractor yesterday
and will be joining us in San Francisco later this year as a staff
member.

James will help prioritize the short term and long term work log on
the Visual Editor, conduct user research, and incorporate community
feedback into the development process.

As many of you know, James is a long-time Wikimedian. He started
contributing to English Wikipedia in October 2002, and was a founding
member of their Arbitration Committee. He was also the movement’s
volunteer Chief Research Officer, helping shepherd the predecessor of
what is today the Research Committee, has for years been the
“gopher-in-chief” at the Wikimania community conferences, and helped
found Wikimedia UK in 2005.

James joins us following a successful career in the UK government,
where he implemented key open access and open government initiatives.
Most recently, he was the acting Head of data.gov.uk, and then the
Digital Engagement Policy Lead in the Government Digital Service, both
at the Cabinet Office. James holds a Masters of Engineering in
Computer Science from the University of Warwick.

Beyond technology, James has strong interests in international
politics, physics, communications, economics, law, the constitutional
history of Britain, and education.

Please join me in welcoming James!

Howie

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikitech-l] [Announcement] James Forrester joins WMF as Technical Product Analyst

Thomas Dalton
James, you're emigrating? I never thought I'd see that...

Congratulations, traitor!

On 17 May 2012 17:52, Howie Fung <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Everyone,
>
> It’s my pleasure to announce that James Forrester is joining our San
> Francisco office as a Technical Product Analyst, supporting the Visual
> Editor team. James started his work as a remote contractor yesterday
> and will be joining us in San Francisco later this year as a staff
> member.
>
> James will help prioritize the short term and long term work log on
> the Visual Editor, conduct user research, and incorporate community
> feedback into the development process.
>
> As many of you know, James is a long-time Wikimedian. He started
> contributing to English Wikipedia in October 2002, and was a founding
> member of their Arbitration Committee. He was also the movement’s
> volunteer Chief Research Officer, helping shepherd the predecessor of
> what is today the Research Committee, has for years been the
> “gopher-in-chief” at the Wikimania community conferences, and helped
> found Wikimedia UK in 2005.
>
> James joins us following a successful career in the UK government,
> where he implemented key open access and open government initiatives.
> Most recently, he was the acting Head of data.gov.uk, and then the
> Digital Engagement Policy Lead in the Government Digital Service, both
> at the Cabinet Office. James holds a Masters of Engineering in
> Computer Science from the University of Warwick.
>
> Beyond technology, James has strong interests in international
> politics, physics, communications, economics, law, the constitutional
> history of Britain, and education.
>
> Please join me in welcoming James!
>
> Howie

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikitech-l] [Announcement] James Forrester joins WMF as Technical Product Analyst

Michael Snow-5
On 5/17/2012 10:06 AM, Thomas Dalton wrote:
> James, you're emigrating? I never thought I'd see that...
>
> Congratulations, traitor!
Just wait until he starts speaking like an uhmurricun, I mean American.

--Michael Snow

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Announcement] James Forrester joins WMF as Technical Product Analyst

Chris Keating-2

> It’s my pleasure to announce that James Forrester is joining our San
> Francisco office as a Technical Product Analyst, supporting the Visual
> Editor team. James started his work as a remote contractor yesterday
> and will be joining us in San Francisco later this year as a staff
> member.

Congratulations, James!

I hope this means the Visual Editor will use the correct spellings of words
like colour, axe, and aluminium, and will offer to make people tea. :-)

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Announcement] James Forrester joins WMF as Technical Product Analyst

Katie Chan

> Please join me in welcoming James!

Well, in our case it's more like waving good bye, but certainly
congratulations!

KTC

     - Heinrich Heine

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Announcement] James Forrester joins WMF as Technical Product Analyst

Tom Morris-5
On 17 May 2012 17:52, Howie Fung <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Everyone,
>
> It’s my pleasure to announce that James Forrester is joining our San
> Francisco office as a Technical Product Analyst, supporting the Visual
> Editor team. James started his work as a remote contractor yesterday
> and will be joining us in San Francisco later this year as a staff
> member.
>
> James will help prioritize the short term and long term work log on
> the Visual Editor, conduct user research, and incorporate community
> feedback into the development process.
>
> As many of you know, James is a long-time Wikimedian. He started
> contributing to English Wikipedia in October 2002, and was a founding
> member of their Arbitration Committee. He was also the movement’s
> volunteer Chief Research Officer, helping shepherd the predecessor of
> what is today the Research Committee, has for years been the
> “gopher-in-chief” at the Wikimania community conferences, and helped
> found Wikimedia UK in 2005.

You forgot one biggie: he has run the London Wikipedia meetup which
first started in June 2004 has now met 57 times.

Hong Kong has met more often, but London is, I believe, the "Original
and Best" (in all 57 varieties).*

* The Heinz joke blatantly stolen from Jon Davies at Wikimedia UK.

Anyway, James F. knows more about Wikipedia than most people on the
planet. Good hire.

--
Tom Morris
<http://tommorris.org/>

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Announcement] James Forrester joins WMF as Technical Product Analyst

Thomas Morton
On 17 May 2012 18:19, Chris Keating <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > It’s my pleasure to announce that James Forrester is joining our San
> > Francisco office as a Technical Product Analyst, supporting the Visual
> > Editor team. James started his work as a remote contractor yesterday
> > and will be joining us in San Francisco later this year as a staff
> > member.
>

> Congratulations, James!
>
> I hope this means the Visual Editor will use the correct spellings of words
> like colour, axe, and aluminium, and will offer to make people tea. :-)

Oh gods no, don't suggest it makes tea! Shades of Douglas Adams will come
to haunt us.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nutrimatic_drinks_dispenser#Nutrimatic_Drinks_Dispenser

And probably crash the servers.

Congrats James :)

Tom

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Announcement] James Forrester joins WMF as Technical Product Analyst

Kat Walsh-4
On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 1:19 PM, Chris Keating
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>> It’s my pleasure to announce that James Forrester is joining our San
>> Francisco office as a Technical Product Analyst, supporting the Visual
>> Editor team. James started his work as a remote contractor yesterday
>> and will be joining us in San Francisco later this year as a staff
>> member.
>

> Congratulations, James!
>
> I hope this means the Visual Editor will use the correct spellings of words
> like colour, axe, and aluminium, and will offer to make people tea. :-)

Just as long as it's not almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea...

Also, I am having serious trouble wrapping my mind around James living
outside the UK. Once that happens I'm sure I will have recovered
enough to say "congratulations"!

I do wish someone had been chosen who had some more community experience though.

-Kat

--
Your donations keep Wikipedia free: https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Donate
Web: http://www.mindspillage.org Email: [hidden email], [hidden email]

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Announcement] James Forrester joins WMF as Technical Product Analyst

Kat Walsh-4
On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 1:22 PM, Thomas Morton
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 17 May 2012 18:19, Chris Keating <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> > It’s my pleasure to announce that James Forrester is joining our San
>> > Francisco office as a Technical Product Analyst, supporting the Visual
>> > Editor team. James started his work as a remote contractor yesterday
>> > and will be joining us in San Francisco later this year as a staff
>> > member.
>>

>> Congratulations, James!
>>
>> I hope this means the Visual Editor will use the correct spellings of words
>> like colour, axe, and aluminium, and will offer to make people tea. :-)
>

> Oh gods no, don't suggest it makes tea! Shades of Douglas Adams will come
> to haunt us.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nutrimatic_drinks_dispenser#Nutrimatic_Drinks_Dispenser

I should have figured someone would beat me to the Hitchhiker's Guide joke...

-Kat

--
Your donations keep Wikipedia free: https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Donate
Web: http://www.mindspillage.org Email: [hidden email], [hidden email]
(G)AIM, Freenode, gchat, identi.ca, twitter, various social sites: mindspillage

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Announcement] James Forrester joins WMF as Technical Product Analyst

Erik Zachte-3
Congrats James! I 'm looking forward to most tongue in cheek design
documents I have ever seen. :-)

Erik

On 17 May 2012 18:25, Kat Walsh <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 1:22 PM, Thomas Morton
> <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >> Congratulations, James!
> >>
> >> I hope this means the Visual Editor will use the correct spellings of
> words
> >> like colour, axe, and aluminium, and will offer to make people tea. :-)
> >

> > Oh gods no, don't suggest it makes tea! Shades of Douglas Adams will come
> > to haunt us.
> >

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nutrimatic_drinks_dispenser#Nutrimatic_Drinks_Dispenser
>
> I should have figured someone would beat me to the Hitchhiker's Guide
> joke...

Your version was better :)

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Announcement] James Forrester joins WMF as Technical Product Analyst

Chris Keating-2

> I do wish someone had been chosen who had some more community experience
> though.

ROFLMAO! :-)

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikitech-l] [Announcement] James Forrester joins WMF as Technical Product Analyst

WereSpielChequers-2
> Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 18:06:48 +0100
> From: Thomas Dalton <[hidden email]>
> To: Wikimedia developers <[hidden email]>
> Cc: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikitech-l] [Announcement] James Forrester
>        joins WMF as Technical Product Analyst

> James, you're emigrating? I never thought I'd see that...
>
> Congratulations, traitor!
>
> On 17 May 2012 17:52, Howie Fung <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Everyone,
> >
> > It?s my pleasure to announce that James Forrester is joining our San
> > Francisco office as a Technical Product Analyst, supporting the Visual
> > Editor team. James started his work as a remote contractor yesterday
> > and will be joining us in San Francisco later this year as a staff
> > member.
> >
> > James will help prioritize the short term and long term work log on
> > the Visual Editor, conduct user research, and incorporate community
> > feedback into the development process.
> >
> > As many of you know, James is a long-time Wikimedian. He started
> > contributing to English Wikipedia in October 2002, and was a founding
> > member of their Arbitration Committee. He was also the movement?s
> > volunteer Chief Research Officer, helping shepherd the predecessor of
> > what is today the Research Committee, has for years been the
> > ?gopher-in-chief? at the Wikimania community conferences, and helped
> > found Wikimedia UK in 2005.
> >
> > James joins us following a successful career in the UK government,
> > where he implemented key open access and open government initiatives.
> > Most recently, he was the acting Head of data.gov.uk, and then the
> > Digital Engagement Policy Lead in the Government Digital Service, both
> > at the Cabinet Office. James holds a Masters of Engineering in
> > Computer Science from the University of Warwick.
> >
> > Beyond technology, James has strong interests in international
> > politics, physics, communications, economics, law, the constitutional
> > history of Britain, and education.
> >
> > Please join me in welcoming James!
> >
> > Howie

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 4
> Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 10:14:05 -0700
> From: Michael Snow <[hidden email]>
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikitech-l] [Announcement] James Forrester
>        joins WMF as Technical Product Analyst
>
> On 5/17/2012 10:06 AM, Thomas Dalton wrote:
> > James, you're emigrating? I never thought I'd see that...
> >
> > Congratulations, traitor!
> Just wait until he starts speaking like an uhmurricun, I mean American.
>
> --Michael Snow
>
> End of Wikimedia-l Digest, Vol 98, Issue 37

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Announcement] James Forrester joins WMF as Technical Product Analyst

Guillaume Paumier-3
On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 7:22 PM, Tom Morris <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Anyway, James F. knows more about Wikipedia than most people on the
> planet. Good hire.

This^

One of the best hire the Foundation could ever make.

--
Guillaume Paumier
Technical Communications Manager — Wikimedia Foundation

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Announcement] James Forrester joins WMF as Technical Product Analyst

Brad Patrick
+1 Congratulations, James!

On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 1:58 PM, Guillaume Paumier
<[hidden email]>wrote:

> On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 7:22 PM, Tom Morris <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Anyway, James F. knows more about Wikipedia than most people on the
> > planet. Good hire.
>
> This^
>
> One of the best hire the Foundation could ever make.
>
> --
> Guillaume Paumier
> Technical Communications Manager — Wikimedia Foundation

Bradford A. Patrick, Esq.
3001 North Rocky Point Drive East
Suite 200
Tampa, Florida 33607
www.baplegal.com
813-384-8548 vox
813-333-7321 fax
BradPatrick Skype

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Announcement] James Forrester joins WMF as Technical Product Analyst

Richard Symonds-3
I'm still working my way through the brownies James left at our office only
a few short days ago...

James, you're always welcome in Dev House. There'll always be a seat
available, and there'll always be a coffee.
Richard Symonds
Wikimedia UK
0207 065 0992
Disclaimer viewable at
http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia:Email_disclaimer
Visit http://www.wikimedia.org.uk/ and @wikimediauk

On 17 May 2012 20:25, Brad Patrick <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1 Congratulations, James!
>
> On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 1:58 PM, Guillaume Paumier
> <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
> > On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 7:22 PM, Tom Morris <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > Anyway, James F. knows more about Wikipedia than most people on the
> > > planet. Good hire.
> >
> > This^
> >
> > One of the best hire the Foundation could ever make.
> >
> > --
> > Guillaume Paumier
> > Technical Communications Manager — Wikimedia Foundation

> Bradford A. Patrick, Esq.
> 3001 North Rocky Point Drive East
> Suite 200
> Tampa, Florida 33607
> www.baplegal.com
> 813-384-8548 vox
> 813-333-7321 fax
> BradPatrick Skype

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Announcement] James Forrester joins WMF as Technical Product Analyst

James Alexander-4
Coffee? ... but not tea?

On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 12:59 PM, Richard Symonds <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm still working my way through the brownies James left at our office only
> a few short days ago...
>
> James, you're always welcome in Dev House. There'll always be a seat
> available, and there'll always be a coffee.
> Richard Symonds
> Wikimedia UK
> 0207 065 0992
> Disclaimer viewable at
> http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia:Email_disclaimer
> Visit http://www.wikimedia.org.uk/ and @wikimediauk

> On 17 May 2012 20:25, Brad Patrick <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > +1 Congratulations, James!
> >
> > On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 1:58 PM, Guillaume Paumier
> > <[hidden email]>wrote:

> > > This^
> > >
> > > One of the best hire the Foundation could ever make.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Guillaume Paumier
> > > Technical Communications Manager — Wikimedia Foundation

> > Bradford A. Patrick, Esq.
> > 3001 North Rocky Point Drive East
> > Suite 200
> > Tampa, Florida 33607
> > www.baplegal.com
> > 813-384-8548 vox
> > 813-333-7321 fax
> > BradPatrick Skype

James Alexander
Manager, Merchandise
Wikimedia Foundation
(415) 839-6885 x6716 @jamesofur

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Announcement] James Forrester joins WMF as Technical Product Analyst

Kim Bruning
On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 01:02:30PM -0700, James Alexander wrote:
> Coffee? ... but not tea?

Despite the stereotype, brits tend to drink more coffee than tea. ;-)

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Announcement] James Forrester joins WMF as Technical Product Analyst

Richard Symonds-3
No, tea is for staff and board members only.

On 17 May 2012 21:02, James Alexander <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Coffee? ... but not tea?
>
> On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 12:59 PM, Richard Symonds <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I'm still working my way through the brownies James left at our office
> only
> > a few short days ago...
> >
> > James, you're always welcome in Dev House. There'll always be a seat
> > available, and there'll always be a coffee.
> > Richard Symonds
> > Wikimedia UK
> > 0207 065 0992
> > Disclaimer viewable at
> > http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia:Email_disclaimer
> > Visit http://www.wikimedia.org.uk/ and @wikimediauk
>

> > On 17 May 2012 20:25, Brad Patrick <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > +1 Congratulations, James!

> > > --
> > > Bradford A. Patrick, Esq.
> > > 3001 North Rocky Point Drive East
> > > Suite 200
> > > Tampa, Florida 33607
> > > [hidden email]
> > > [hidden email]
> > > www.baplegal.com
> > > 813-384-8548 vox
> > > 813-333-7321 fax
> > > BradPatrick Skype

> James Alexander
> Manager, Merchandise
> Wikimedia Foundation
> (415) 839-6885 x6716 @jamesofur

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Announcement] James Forrester joins WMF as Technical Product Analyst

Richard Symonds-3
(I am joking.)