[Wikimedia-l] Announcement: New Legal Counsel

[Wikimedia-l] Announcement: New Legal Counsel

Kelly Kay

> I am happy to announce that effective today, Stephen LaPorte is joining
> the Foundation as legal counsel in the Legal and Community Advocacy team!
> Stephen has been interning with us for a semester, and we're thrilled that
> he's staying onboard.  We went through a very competitive interview process
> and he was by far the best candidate for the role.  One of the criteria for
> this role was that the candidate be a Wikimedian, and Stephen fits that
> neatly.  *As a volunteer, he enjoys de-orphaning articles and cleaning up
> dead-end pages on the English Wikipedia. He also proofreads on the English
> Wikisource. He started contributing to Wikipedia in 2008 after working on
> [[w:Río Plátano Biosphere Reserve]] for a class project.*
>
> You'll have the chance to meet him at the Berlin Hack-a-thon, or at
> Wikimania this summer.  *A little bit of background on Stephen: he
> studied English and Latin at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln and law at
> the University of California, Hastings College of the Law. He is interested
> in copyright, privacy, and trademark law. During law school, he worked on
> the Hastings Communication and Entertainment Law Journal.*
>
> Stephen will be helping out with contracts, content/community
> questions/issues, trademark approvals & licensing, trademark enforcement,
> and other general matters that come up for lawyers. Stephen will report to
> me.
>
> This was an extremely competitive process, and we're very lucky to have
> him join us.

Kind Regards,
Kelly

--
Kelly Kay
Deputy General Counsel

<http://walk.avonfoundation.org/site/TR?px=6370274&pg=personal&fr_id=2173&s_src=BF_emailbadge>
<http://walk.avonfoundation.org/site/TR?px=6370274&pg=personal&fr_id=2173&s_src=BF_emailbadge>

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcement: New Legal Counsel

Michael Peel-4
Congrats and welcome to Stephen. :-)

Could the LCA team expand a bit on the structure and division of roles in the team, please? In particular, how does the role of Legal Counsel differ from that of the General Counsel, how are those positions relate to the Direct of Community Advocacy and the Community Liaison, and what's the overall management structure of the team?

Thanks,
Mike

On 15 May 2012, at 21:04, Kelly Kay wrote:

>> I am happy to announce that effective today, Stephen LaPorte is joining
>> the Foundation as legal counsel in the Legal and Community Advocacy team!
>> Stephen has been interning with us for a semester, and we're thrilled that
>> he's staying onboard.  We went through a very competitive interview process
>> and he was by far the best candidate for the role.  One of the criteria for
>> this role was that the candidate be a Wikimedian, and Stephen fits that
>> neatly.  *As a volunteer, he enjoys de-orphaning articles and cleaning up
>> dead-end pages on the English Wikipedia. He also proofreads on the English
>> Wikisource. He started contributing to Wikipedia in 2008 after working on
>> [[w:Río Plátano Biosphere Reserve]] for a class project.*
>>
>> You'll have the chance to meet him at the Berlin Hack-a-thon, or at
>> Wikimania this summer.  *A little bit of background on Stephen: he
>> studied English and Latin at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln and law at
>> the University of California, Hastings College of the Law. He is interested
>> in copyright, privacy, and trademark law. During law school, he worked on
>> the Hastings Communication and Entertainment Law Journal.*
>>
>> Stephen will be helping out with contracts, content/community
>> questions/issues, trademark approvals & licensing, trademark enforcement,
>> and other general matters that come up for lawyers. Stephen will report to
>> me.
>>
>> This was an extremely competitive process, and we're very lucky to have
>> him join us.
>>

> Kind Regards,
> Kelly
>
> --
> Kelly Kay
> Deputy General Counsel
> Wikimedia Foundation
>
> <http://walk.avonfoundation.org/site/TR?px=6370274&pg=personal&fr_id=2173&s_src=BF_emailbadge>
> <http://walk.avonfoundation.org/site/TR?px=6370274&pg=personal&fr_id=2173&s_src=BF_emailbadge>

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcement: New Legal Counsel

Kat Walsh-4
Congratulations Stephen!

Stephen is intelligent and dedicated--he has done great work for
Wikimedia during his internship (if you look at the LCA pages and see
some of the legislative analysis sections you can see some of it), and
I'm delighted to see him join the permanent staff.

-Kat

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 4:04 PM, Kelly Kay <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> I am happy to announce that effective today, Stephen LaPorte is joining
>> the Foundation as legal counsel in the Legal and Community Advocacy team!
>> Stephen has been interning with us for a semester, and we're thrilled that
>> he's staying onboard.  We went through a very competitive interview process
>> and he was by far the best candidate for the role.  One of the criteria for
>> this role was that the candidate be a Wikimedian, and Stephen fits that
>> neatly.  *As a volunteer, he enjoys de-orphaning articles and cleaning up
>> dead-end pages on the English Wikipedia. He also proofreads on the English
>> Wikisource. He started contributing to Wikipedia in 2008 after working on
>> [[w:Río Plátano Biosphere Reserve]] for a class project.*
>>
>> You'll have the chance to meet him at the Berlin Hack-a-thon, or at
>> Wikimania this summer.  *A little bit of background on Stephen: he
>> studied English and Latin at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln and law at
>> the University of California, Hastings College of the Law. He is interested
>> in copyright, privacy, and trademark law. During law school, he worked on
>> the Hastings Communication and Entertainment Law Journal.*
>>
>> Stephen will be helping out with contracts, content/community
>> questions/issues, trademark approvals & licensing, trademark enforcement,
>> and other general matters that come up for lawyers. Stephen will report to
>> me.
>>
>> This was an extremely competitive process, and we're very lucky to have
>> him join us.
>>

> Kind Regards,
> Kelly
>
> --
> Kelly Kay
> Deputy General Counsel
> Wikimedia Foundation
>
> <http://walk.avonfoundation.org/site/TR?px=6370274&pg=personal&fr_id=2173&s_src=BF_emailbadge>
> <http://walk.avonfoundation.org/site/TR?px=6370274&pg=personal&fr_id=2173&s_src=BF_emailbadge>

Your donations keep Wikipedia free: https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Donate
Web: http://www.mindspillage.org Email: [hidden email], [hidden email]
(G)AIM, Freenode, gchat, identi.ca, twitter, various social sites: mindspillage

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcement: New Legal Counsel

Philippe Beaudette-3
Think of LCA as a fork: at the top, the General Counsel.  Down one tine of
the fork, the Deputy GC, the Legal Counsel, and the Junior Counsel.

Down the other tine of the fork, the Director, Community Advocacy, and the
Community Liaison(s)/Advocates.   Sort of straddling the middle is Daisy,
our paralegal.

Does that help?

pb
___________________
Philippe Beaudette
Director, Community Advocacy
Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.

415-839-6885, x 6643

[hidden email]

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 1:10 PM, Michael Peel <[hidden email]
> wrote:

> Congrats and welcome to Stephen. :-)
>
> Could the LCA team expand a bit on the structure and division of roles in
> the team, please? In particular, how does the role of Legal Counsel differ
> from that of the General Counsel, how are those positions relate to the
> Direct of Community Advocacy and the Community Liaison, and what's the
> overall management structure of the team?
>
> Thanks,
> Mike
>
> On 15 May 2012, at 21:04, Kelly Kay wrote:
>

> >> I am happy to announce that effective today, Stephen LaPorte is joining
> >> the Foundation as legal counsel in the Legal and Community Advocacy
> team!
> >> Stephen has been interning with us for a semester, and we're thrilled
> that
> >> he's staying onboard.  We went through a very competitive interview
> process
> >> and he was by far the best candidate for the role.  One of the criteria
> for
> >> this role was that the candidate be a Wikimedian, and Stephen fits that
> >> neatly.  *As a volunteer, he enjoys de-orphaning articles and cleaning
> up
> >> dead-end pages on the English Wikipedia. He also proofreads on the
> English
> >> Wikisource. He started contributing to Wikipedia in 2008 after working
> on
> >> [[w:Río Plátano Biosphere Reserve]] for a class project.*
> >>
> >> You'll have the chance to meet him at the Berlin Hack-a-thon, or at
> >> Wikimania this summer.  *A little bit of background on Stephen: he
> >> studied English and Latin at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln and law
> at
> >> the University of California, Hastings College of the Law. He is
> interested
> >> in copyright, privacy, and trademark law. During law school, he worked
> on
> >> the Hastings Communication and Entertainment Law Journal.*
> >>
> >> Stephen will be helping out with contracts, content/community
> >> questions/issues, trademark approvals & licensing, trademark
> enforcement,
> >> and other general matters that come up for lawyers. Stephen will report
> >> me.
> >>
> >> This was an extremely competitive process, and we're very lucky to have
> >> him join us.
> >>

> > Kind Regards,
> > Kelly
> >
> > --
> > Kelly Kay
> > Deputy General Counsel
> > Wikimedia Foundation
> >
> > <
> http://walk.avonfoundation.org/site/TR?px=6370274&pg=personal&fr_id=2173&s_src=BF_emailbadge
> >
> > <
> http://walk.avonfoundation.org/site/TR?px=6370274&pg=personal&fr_id=2173&s_src=BF_emailbadge

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcement: New Legal Counsel

Philippe Beaudette-3
(PS - i should say that this is an organizational description only - from a
FUNCTIONAL perspective, the fork analogy goes out the window, and a group
of flexible staff members comes into play.  Effectively speaking, I could
work immediately with any of the attorneys (and am) on projects, and they
could work with me or Maggie.  We don't get really hung up on titles within
the team.  Maggie and I view our roles and enhancing/supporting/amplifying
the work of the team of attorneys.  I know they view their roles as
supporting the work of the community.  So it all works out).

pb
___________________
Philippe Beaudette
Director, Community Advocacy
Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.

415-839-6885, x 6643

[hidden email]

On 15 May 2012, at 21:18, Philippe Beaudette wrote:

> Think of LCA as a fork: at the top, the General Counsel.  Down one tine of
> the fork, the Deputy GC, the Legal Counsel, and the Junior Counsel.
>
> Down the other tine of the fork, the Director, Community Advocacy, and the
> Community Liaison(s)/Advocates.   Sort of straddling the middle is Daisy,
> our paralegal.
>
> Does that help?

Thanks Philippe - that sort of helps, yes. :-) But I'm a bit confused looking at:
http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Staff#Legal_and_Community_Advocacy

Is there only one Legal Counsel or multiple - does Stephen replace, or work with, Michelle? If the latter, how do the roles relate to each other? Similarly, how does the day-to-day work of the GC and LC relate? Does the GC delegate tasks to the LC, or are there formal lines in the sand between their activities?

Also, who's Daisy? She doesn't appear to be on the staff page on the wiki?

Thanks,
Mike
P.S. In general, it might be useful if the on-wiki staff list was accompanied by descriptions of the roles that the staff take within the various teams. I'm sure that it's understood within the teams and by those working at the WMF, but it's a bit opaque and confusing from an outside perspective.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcement: New Legal Counsel

Philippe Beaudette-3
On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 1:27 PM, Michael Peel <[hidden email]
> wrote:

> Thanks Philippe - that sort of helps, yes. :-) But I'm a bit confused
> looking at:
> http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Staff#Legal_and_Community_Advocacy
>
> Is there only one Legal Counsel or multiple - does Stephen replace, or
> work with, Michelle? If the latter, how do the roles relate to each other?
> Similarly, how does the day-to-day work of the GC and LC relate? Does the
> GC delegate tasks to the LC, or are there formal lines in the sand between
> their activities?

There are Multiple people filling the staff attorney/legal counsel role:
Michelle and Stephen are both legal counsel (though Stephen's is a more
junior role).  They each will have a portfolio of tasks that they "own" but
in reality they function very independently.  The GC can designate any work
he wants to anyone he wants, but he tends to prefer to let people own a
portfolio that they're the subject matter expert in.  As for the day to day
work of the GC and LC.... I'll let one of them answer that.  I'm not an
expert in it.

> Also, who's Daisy? She doesn't appear to be on the staff page on the wiki?

She's a temporary paralegal.  With us for six months, I believe. :-)

> Thanks,
> Mike
> P.S. In general, it might be useful if the on-wiki staff list was
> accompanied by descriptions of the roles that the staff take within the
> various teams. I'm sure that it's understood within the teams and by those
> working at the WMF, but it's a bit opaque and confusing from an outside
> perspective.

I'm speaking out of school here, but I think Gayle is working on something
like this?

pb

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcement: New Legal Counsel

Thehelpfulone
On 15 May 2012 21:33, Philippe Beaudette <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm speaking out of school here, but I think Gayle is working on something
> like this?

Yes that's correct, I'm speaking from working with Gayle to improve the
staff page. Heather Walls (she *is *on the page) is working on improving
the staff page overall, with a design that will probably include what you
are looking for Mike - a *very *early draft can be see at
http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/User:Hwalls/sandbox. Of course if
there's anything else you feel the staff page should have, please do convey
it to her directly (CCed in) as she is currently looking for ways to
enhance it as part of the revamp.

--
Thehelpfulone
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Thehelpfulone

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcement: New Legal Counsel

metasj
Great news.  It's good to have counsel who writes his own bots*. :-)

Welcome, Stephen!
SJ

* http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/User:BenchBot

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 4:04 PM, Kelly Kay <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> I am happy to announce that effective today, Stephen LaPorte is joining
>> the Foundation as legal counsel in the Legal and Community Advocacy team!
>> Stephen has been interning with us for a semester, and we're thrilled that
>> he's staying onboard.  We went through a very competitive interview process
>> and he was by far the best candidate for the role.  One of the criteria for
>> this role was that the candidate be a Wikimedian, and Stephen fits that
>> neatly.  *As a volunteer, he enjoys de-orphaning articles and cleaning up
>> dead-end pages on the English Wikipedia. He also proofreads on the English
>> Wikisource. He started contributing to Wikipedia in 2008 after working on
>> [[w:Río Plátano Biosphere Reserve]] for a class project.*
>>
>> You'll have the chance to meet him at the Berlin Hack-a-thon, or at
>> Wikimania this summer.  *A little bit of background on Stephen: he
>> studied English and Latin at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln and law at
>> the University of California, Hastings College of the Law. He is interested
>> in copyright, privacy, and trademark law. During law school, he worked on
>> the Hastings Communication and Entertainment Law Journal.*
>>
>> Stephen will be helping out with contracts, content/community
>> questions/issues, trademark approvals & licensing, trademark enforcement,
>> and other general matters that come up for lawyers. Stephen will report to
>> me.
>>
>> This was an extremely competitive process, and we're very lucky to have
>> him join us.
>>

> Kind Regards,
> Kelly
>
> --
> Kelly Kay
> Deputy General Counsel
> Wikimedia Foundation
>
> <http://walk.avonfoundation.org/site/TR?px=6370274&pg=personal&fr_id=2173&s_src=BF_emailbadge>
> <http://walk.avonfoundation.org/site/TR?px=6370274&pg=personal&fr_id=2173&s_src=BF_emailbadge>

Samuel Klein          identi.ca:sj           w:user:sj          +1 617 529 4266

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcement: New Legal Counsel

John Mark Vandenberg
On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 8:36 AM, Samuel Klein <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Great news.  It's good to have counsel who writes his own bots*. :-)
>
> Welcome, Stephen!
> SJ
>
> * http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/User:BenchBot

Good to see a wikisourcerer in the Legal and Community Advocacy team!
Congrats Stephen.

--
John Vandenberg

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcement: New Legal Counsel

Philippe Beaudette-3
On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 1:33 PM, Philippe Beaudette
<[hidden email]>wrote:

> As for the day to day work of the GC and LC.... I'll let one of them
> answer that.  I'm not an expert in it.

Following up on my committment yesterday to find an answer to Mike's
questions, Geoff provided the below (which I'm posting, since he's
technically on holiday):

From a staffing perspective,
Geoff<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Geoffbrigham>serves as the
General Counsel with general strategic and oversight
responsibilities as well as executive duties.  He is responsible for all
legal and community advocacy issues for the Wikimedia Foundation.   He
serves as an advisor to the Board of Trustees and Executive Director.  He
is in charge of effective management of the LCA team, ensuring a smooth
operation that responds to priority projects timely and appropriately.
This coming year, he expects to spend about 40% of his time on community
advocacy affairs and about 60% on legal matters. Each member of his team is
responsible for certain portfolios, and Geoff works closely with his team
on high priority, significant projects within those portfolios.  Kelly, for
example, handles contracts (about 200+ a year), FDC, global outreach,
fundraising, non-profit corporate governance, HR, and privacy issues (among
other issues) in addition to her duties as Deputy General Counsel. Michelle
addresses trademark authorizations (about 200+ a year), copyright,
litigation, the legal intern program, hundreds of community inquiries, and
content issues (about 100+ takedown demands a year that we challenge
successfully 95% of the time).   As you know, Philippe and Maggie manage a
wide variety of community projects and questions that fall under LCA.
Stephen will report to Kelly, who is working on a number of tough,
sophisticated goals, and also will help out Michelle and Philippe as
needed.  We will shortly post a more detailed list of responsibilities for
each team member.  That said, we are a small team for the fifth largest
website in the world, so we are all flexible, supporting each other with
their workload, responsibilities, and priorities.

___________________
Philippe Beaudette
Director, Community Advocacy
Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.

415-839-6885, x 6643

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcement: New Legal Counsel

Thomas Dalton
On 16 May 2012 15:29, Philippe Beaudette <[hidden email]> wrote:
>(about 100+ takedown demands a year that we challenge
> successfully 95% of the time)

That is a statistic you should boast about more often.