[Wikimedia-l] Announcement: WMF to file suit against the NSA

[Wikimedia-l] Announcement: WMF to file suit against the NSA

Michelle Paulson
Hi All,

I’m writing to let you know that today the Wikimedia Foundation[1] is
filing suit against the National Security Agency
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Security_Agency>, the Department of
Justice <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Department_of_Justice>,
and the U.S. Attorney General
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Attorney_General>[2] in order
to challenge certain mass surveillance practices carried out by the U.S.
government. We believe these practices are impinging the freedom to learn,
inquire, and explore on Wikimedia sites.

Since the 2013 mass surveillance disclosures, we’ve heard concerns from the
community about privacy on Wikipedia. This lawsuit is a step towards
addressing the community's justified concerns. We believe that the
surveillance methods being employed by the NSA under the authority of the FISA
Amendments Act
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foreign_Intelligence_Surveillance_Act_of_1978_Amendments_Act_of_2008>
negatively impact our users' ability and willingness to participate in our
projects. Today, we fight back.

An op-ed
<http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/10/opinion/stop-spying-on-wikipedia-users.html?_r=0>
by Lila and Jimmy about the lawsuit, and Wikimedia's stance on government
surveillance, appeared in The New York Times this morning. Additionally, we
just published a blog post
<https://blog.wikimedia.org/2015/03/10/wikimedia-v-nsa/> with more
information about the suit. (The post will also up on Meta for translation).

Best,

Michelle Paulson

Senior Legal Counsel

[1] We are being represented by the American Civil Liberties Union
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Civil_Liberties_Union> (ACLU).
Other plaintiffs include The National Association of Criminal Defense
Lawyers <http://www.nacdl.org/>, Human Rights Watch
<http://www.hrw.org/>, Amnesty
International USA <http://www.amnestyusa.org/>, Pen American Center
<https://www.pen.org/>, Global Fund for Women
<http://www.globalfundforwomen.org/>, The Nation Magazine
<http://www.thenation.com/>, The Rutherford Institute
<https://www.rutherford.org/>, and Washington Office on Latin America
<http://www.wola.org/>.

[2] Other named defendants include: Michael Rogers
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_S._Rogers>, in his official capacity
as Director of the National Security Agency
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Director_of_the_National_Security_Agency>
and Chief of the Central Security Service; Office of the Director of
National Intelligence
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Director_of_National_Intelligence>; James
Clapper <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_R._Clapper>, in his official
capacity as Director of National Intelligence; and Eric Holder
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Holder>, in his official capacity
as Attorney
General <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Attorney_General> of
the United States.

*NOTICE: This message may be confidential or legally privileged. If you
have received it by accident, please delete it and let us know about the
mistake. As an attorney for the Wikimedia Foundation and for legal/ethical
reasons, I cannot give legal advice to, or serve as a lawyer for, community
members, volunteers, or staff members in their personal capacity. For more
on what this means, please see our legal disclaimer
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Legal_Disclaimer>.*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcement: WMF to file suit against the NSA

Yann Forget-3
Hi,

Wow! I am proud to be a volunteer working with an organisation daring
to take such steps.

I hope that this will bring concrete results.

Best regards,

Yann

> [...]
> capacity as Director of National Intelligence; and Eric Holder
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Holder>, in his official capacity
> as Attorney
> General <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Attorney_General> of
> the United States.
>

> *NOTICE: This message may be confidential or legally privileged. If you
> have received it by accident, please delete it and let us know about the
> mistake. As an attorney for the Wikimedia Foundation and for legal/ethical
> reasons, I cannot give legal advice to, or serve as a lawyer for, community
> members, volunteers, or staff members in their personal capacity. For more
> on what this means, please see our legal disclaimer
> <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Legal_Disclaimer>.*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcement: WMF to file suit against the NSA

Michael Maggs
Thank you for taking this action.

All the best,

Michael

> [...]
>
> [2] Other named defendants include: Michael Rogers
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_S._Rogers>, in his official
> capacity
> as Director of the National Security Agency
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Director_of_the_National_Security_Agency>
> and Chief of the Central Security Service; Office of the Director of
> National Intelligence
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Director_of_National_Intelligence>; James
> Clapper <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_R._Clapper>, in his official
> capacity as Director of National Intelligence; and Eric Holder
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Holder>, in his official capacity
> as Attorney
> General <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Attorney_General> of
> the United States.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcement: WMF to file suit against the NSA

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
I applaud this action. Great.

The next step is making it not so easy for the NSA to harvest their ill
gotten gains. We could and should share our data from cache servers that
are much closer to our users ie outside the USA. The benefit would not be
so much in frustrating the NSA but more in providing our readers, even our
editors with a better service. So far the argument NOT to do is that
everything in the USA was peachy.
Thanks,
      GerardM

On 10 March 2015 at 08:53, Michelle Paulson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> capacity as Director of National Intelligence; and Eric Holder
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Holder>, in his official capacity
> as Attorney
> General <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Attorney_General> of
> the United States.
>

> *NOTICE: This message may be confidential or legally privileged. If you
> have received it by accident, please delete it and let us know about the
> mistake. As an attorney for the Wikimedia Foundation and for legal/ethical
> reasons, I cannot give legal advice to, or serve as a lawyer for, community
> members, volunteers, or staff members in their personal capacity. For more
> on what this means, please see our legal disclaimer
> <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Legal_Disclaimer>.*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcement: WMF to file suit against the NSA

Dariusz Jemielniak-3
this sounds exactly as a thing we, as a movement, need institutional
support of WMF for. Thanks for doing that.

dariusz "pundit"

On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 8:53 AM, Michelle Paulson <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Director_of_National_Intelligence>; James
> Clapper <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_R._Clapper>, in his official
> capacity as Director of National Intelligence; and Eric Holder
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Holder>, in his official capacity
> as Attorney
> General <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Attorney_General> of
> the United States.
>

> *NOTICE: This message may be confidential or legally privileged. If you
> have received it by accident, please delete it and let us know about the
> mistake. As an attorney for the Wikimedia Foundation and for legal/ethical
> reasons, I cannot give legal advice to, or serve as a lawyer for, community
> members, volunteers, or staff members in their personal capacity. For more
> on what this means, please see our legal disclaimer

__________________________
prof. dr hab. Dariusz Jemielniak
i centrum badawczego CROW
Akademia Leona Koźmińskiego
http://www.crow.alk.edu.pl

członek Akademii Młodych Uczonych Polskiej Akademii Nauk
członek Komitetu Polityki Naukowej MNiSW

Wyszła pierwsza na świecie etnografia Wikipedii "Common Knowledge? An
Ethnography of Wikipedia" (2014, Stanford University Press) mojego
autorstwa http://www.sup.org/book.cgi?id=24010

Recenzje
Forbes: http://www.forbes.com/fdc/welcome_mjx.shtml
Pacific Standard:
http://www.psmag.com/navigation/books-and-culture/killed-wikipedia-93777/
Motherboard: http://motherboard.vice.com/read/an-ethnography-of-wikipedia
The Wikipedian:
http://thewikipedian.net/2014/10/10/dariusz-jemielniak-common-knowledge

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcement: WMF to file suit against the NSA

Comet styles
for an organization taking on the NSA  for "spying"..why are we using
https? doesn't that show that we are already scared of them and
running with our tail between our legs?

On 3/10/15, Dariusz Jemielniak <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> i centrum badawczego CROW
> Akademia Leona Koźmińskiego
> http://www.crow.alk.edu.pl
>
> członek Akademii Młodych Uczonych Polskiej Akademii Nauk
> członek Komitetu Polityki Naukowej MNiSW
>
> Wyszła pierwsza na świecie etnografia Wikipedii "Common Knowledge? An
> Ethnography of Wikipedia" (2014, Stanford University Press) mojego
> autorstwa http://www.sup.org/book.cgi?id=24010
>
> Recenzje
> Forbes: http://www.forbes.com/fdc/welcome_mjx.shtml
> Pacific Standard:
> http://www.psmag.com/navigation/books-and-culture/killed-wikipedia-93777/
> Motherboard: http://motherboard.vice.com/read/an-ethnography-of-wikipedia
> The Wikipedian:
> http://thewikipedian.net/2014/10/10/dariusz-jemielniak-common-knowledge

Cometstyles

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcement: WMF to file suit against the NSA

Tomasz Ganicz
https is generaly increasing privacy of the users. http can be "listen" by
anyone. It is like using walkie-talkie - anyone with radio-scanner can
listen :-)

> [...]
> legal/ethical
> >> reasons, I cannot give legal advice to, or serve as a lawyer for,
> >> community
> >> members, volunteers, or staff members in their personal capacity. For
> more
> >> on what this means, please see our legal disclaimer
> >> <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Legal_Disclaimer>.*

> > __________________________
> > prof. dr hab. Dariusz Jemielniak
> > kierownik katedry Zarządzania Międzynarodowego
> > i centrum badawczego CROW
> > Akademia Leona Koźmińskiego
> > http://www.crow.alk.edu.pl
> >
> > członek Akademii Młodych Uczonych Polskiej Akademii Nauk
> > członek Komitetu Polityki Naukowej MNiSW
> >
> > Wyszła pierwsza na świecie etnografia Wikipedii "Common Knowledge? An
> > Ethnography of Wikipedia" (2014, Stanford University Press) mojego

Tomek "Polimerek" Ganicz
http://www.ganicz.pl/poli/

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcement: WMF to file suit against the NSA

ViswaPrabha (വിശ്വപ്രഭ)
Greatly done!
This is not just news. It is a mark that will be recorded in bold letters
in the history of human's quest for knowledge.

-user:ViswaPrabha
https://ml.wikipedia.org

On 10 March 2015 at 18:15, Tomasz Ganicz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> https is generaly increasing privacy of the users. http can be "listen" by
> anyone. It is like using walkie-talkie - anyone with radio-scanner can
> listen :-)

> > for an organization taking on the NSA  for "spying"..why are we using
> > https? doesn't that show that we are already scared of them and
> > running with our tail between our legs?
> >
> > On 3/10/15, Dariusz Jemielniak <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > this sounds exactly as a thing we, as a movement, need institutional
> > > support of WMF for. Thanks for doing that.
> > >
> > > dariusz "pundit"
> > >
> > > On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 8:53 AM, Michelle Paulson <
> > [hidden email]>

> > Department
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Department_of_Justice
> > order
> U.S.
> > learn,

> from
> > the
> > >>

> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foreign_Intelligence_Surveillance_Act_of_1978_Amendments_Act_of_2008

> > our

> http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/10/opinion/stop-spying-on-wikipedia-users.html?_r=0

> > government
> Additionally,

> (ACLU).

> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Director_of_the_National_Security_Agency

> > James
> > official
> >
> > of

> you
> the
> > legal/ethical
> > more
> > >

> > > --
> > >
> > > __________________________
> > > prof. dr hab. Dariusz Jemielniak
> > > kierownik katedry Zarządzania Międzynarodowego
> > > i centrum badawczego CROW
> > > Akademia Leona Koźmińskiego
> > > http://www.crow.alk.edu.pl
> > >
> > > członek Akademii Młodych Uczonych Polskiej Akademii Nauk
> > > członek Komitetu Polityki Naukowej MNiSW
> > >
> > > Wyszła pierwsza na świecie etnografia Wikipedii "Common Knowledge? An
> > > Ethnography of Wikipedia" (2014, Stanford University Press) mojego
> > > autorstwa http://www.sup.org/book.cgi?id=24010
> > >
> > > Recenzje
> > > Forbes: http://www.forbes.com/fdc/welcome_mjx.shtml
> > > Pacific Standard:
> > >

> http://www.psmag.com/navigation/books-and-culture/killed-wikipedia-93777/
> > > Motherboard:
> > http://motherboard.vice.com/read/an-ethnography-of-wikipedia
> > > The Wikipedian:
> > >
> http://thewikipedian.net/2014/10/10/dariusz-jemielniak-common-knowledge

> > Cometstyles

> Tomek "Polimerek" Ganicz
> http://pl.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Polimerek
> http://www.ganicz.pl/poli/
> http://www.cbmm.lodz.pl/work.php?id=29&title=tomasz-ganicz

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcement: WMF to file suit against the NSA

Amir Sarabadani-2
I created draft of the article about the case
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Draft:Wikimedia_v._NSA>in English Wikipedia.
I'm not sure it's not too soon to move this draft to the main namespace.
Please add content and then move it to main ns when you think it's ready.

Best

On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 4:31 PM, ViswaPrabha (വിശ്വപ്രഭ) <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Greatly done!
> This is not just news. It is a mark that will be recorded in bold letters
> in the history of human's quest for knowledge.
>

> -user:ViswaPrabha
> https://ml.wikipedia.org
>

> On 10 March 2015 at 18:15, Tomasz Ganicz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > https is generaly increasing privacy of the users. http can be "listen"
> by
> > anyone. It is like using walkie-talkie - anyone with radio-scanner can
> > listen :-)

> > > for an organization taking on the NSA  for "spying"..why are we using
> > > https? doesn't that show that we are already scared of them and
> > > running with our tail between our legs?

> > > [hidden email]>

> is
> > > Department
> > > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Department_of_Justice
> in
> > > order
> > U.S.
> > > learn,

> > from
> of
> > > the
> > > >>

> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foreign_Intelligence_Surveillance_Act_of_1978_Amendments_Act_of_2008

> in
> > > our

> http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/10/opinion/stop-spying-on-wikipedia-users.html?_r=0

> > > government
> > Additionally,

> > (ACLU).
> Defense
> America

> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Director_of_the_National_Security_Agency

> > > James
> > > official
> capacity
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Attorney_General
> > >
> > > of

> > you
> > the
> > > legal/ethical
> For
> > > more

> http://www.psmag.com/navigation/books-and-culture/killed-wikipedia-93777/
> > > http://motherboard.vice.com/read/an-ethnography-of-wikipedia
> > > >
> > http://thewikipedian.net/2014/10/10/dariusz-jemielniak-common-knowledge
> > >

> > > --
> > > Cometstyles

> > Tomek "Polimerek" Ganicz
> > http://pl.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Polimerek
> > http://www.ganicz.pl/poli/
> > http://www.cbmm.lodz.pl/work.php?id=29&title=tomasz-ganicz

Amir

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcement: WMF to file suit against the NSA

Johan Jönsson

> for an organization taking on the NSA  for "spying"..why are we using
> https? doesn't that show that we are already scared of them and
> running with our tail between our legs?

(For non-technical readers: the HTTP protocol is the normal way to send
around information on the web. HTTPS is the secure way of sending said
information, adding encryption among other things, to avoid eavesdropping.)

HTTP traffic can easily be tracked by people sharing the same network, by
your Internet service provider and so on. If one cares about privacy, HTTPS
is always important. It's worth noting that the NSA is not the only
government agency in the world. I'd be even more worried about a number of
countries where there would be little chance to fight the intruding party
in the courtroom.

Side note: you could probably track most HTTPS traffic to Wikipedia as
well, even if you're not the NSA. Normally you would see that the user has
accessed Wikipedia, but not which article. A way around that would be to
let a spider (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_crawler) track the byte
size of Wikipedia articles, which should be individual enough as soon as
images are involved and compare it to the size of the page the user just
accessed. If two articles happen to be of exactly the same size, compare
with incoming and outgoing wiki links and see if the user accessed any page
linking to or linked from one the articles to determine which one. But it
would at least take some sort of effort, and wouldn't be perfect.

//Johan Jönsson

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcement: WMF to file suit against the NSA

Andrew Lih
Probably a good time for everyone to know about EFF's HTTPS Everywhere:

HTTPS Everywhere is a Firefox, Chrome, and Opera extension that encrypts
your communications with many major websites, making your browsing more
secure. Encrypt the web: Install HTTPS Everywhere today.

https://www.eff.org/https-everywhere

On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 10:02 AM, Johan Jönsson <[hidden email]>

> > for an organization taking on the NSA  for "spying"..why are we using
> > https? doesn't that show that we are already scared of them and
> > running with our tail between our legs?
> >

> (For non-technical readers: the HTTP protocol is the normal way to send
> around information on the web. HTTPS is the secure way of sending said
> information, adding encryption among other things, to avoid eavesdropping.)
>
> HTTP traffic can easily be tracked by people sharing the same network, by
> your Internet service provider and so on. If one cares about privacy, HTTPS
> is always important. It's worth noting that the NSA is not the only
> government agency in the world. I'd be even more worried about a number of
> countries where there would be little chance to fight the intruding party
> in the courtroom.
>
> Side note: you could probably track most HTTPS traffic to Wikipedia as
> well, even if you're not the NSA. Normally you would see that the user has
> accessed Wikipedia, but not which article. A way around that would be to
> let a spider (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_crawler) track the byte
> size of Wikipedia articles, which should be individual enough as soon as
> images are involved and compare it to the size of the page the user just
> accessed. If two articles happen to be of exactly the same size, compare
> with incoming and outgoing wiki links and see if the user accessed any page
> linking to or linked from one the articles to determine which one. But it
> would at least take some sort of effort, and wouldn't be perfect.
>
> //Johan Jönsson

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcement: WMF to file suit against the NSA

Gregory Varnum-2
Kudos to the Legal Team on this important case!

-greg aka varnent

On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 9:01 AM, ViswaPrabha (വിശ്വപ്രഭ) <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Greatly done!
> This is not just news. It is a mark that will be recorded in bold letters
> in the history of human's quest for knowledge.
>

> -user:ViswaPrabha
> https://ml.wikipedia.org
>

> On 10 March 2015 at 18:15, Tomasz Ganicz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > https is generaly increasing privacy of the users. http can be "listen"
> by
> > anyone. It is like using walkie-talkie - anyone with radio-scanner can
> > listen :-)

> > > for an organization taking on the NSA  for "spying"..why are we using
> > > https? doesn't that show that we are already scared of them and
> > > running with our tail between our legs?

> > > [hidden email]>

> is
> > > Department
> > > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Department_of_Justice
> in
> > > order
> > U.S.
> > > learn,

> > from
> of
> > > the
> > > >>

> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foreign_Intelligence_Surveillance_Act_of_1978_Amendments_Act_of_2008

> in
> > > our

> http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/10/opinion/stop-spying-on-wikipedia-users.html?_r=0

> > > government
> > Additionally,

> > (ACLU).
> Defense
> America

> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Director_of_the_National_Security_Agency

> > > James
> > > official
> capacity
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Attorney_General
> > >
> > > of

> > you
> > the
> > > legal/ethical
> For
> > > more

> http://www.psmag.com/navigation/books-and-culture/killed-wikipedia-93777/
> > > http://motherboard.vice.com/read/an-ethnography-of-wikipedia
> > > >
> > http://thewikipedian.net/2014/10/10/dariusz-jemielniak-common-knowledge
> > >

> > > --
> > > Cometstyles

> > Tomek "Polimerek" Ganicz
> > http://pl.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Polimerek
> > http://www.ganicz.pl/poli/
> > http://www.cbmm.lodz.pl/work.php?id=29&title=tomasz-ganicz

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcement: WMF to file suit against the NSA

Pete Forsyth-2
There's a relevant research project outlined on Meta, about HTTPS:

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Wikimedia_referrer_policy

Here's the "nutshell" description:

"Since we started switching to HTTPS and an increasing portion of inbound
traffic happens over SSL, Wikimedia sites stopped advertising themselves as
sources of referred traffic to external sites. While this is a literal
implication of HTTPS, it means that Wikimedia's impact on traffic directed
to other sites is becoming largely invisible: *is Wikimedia turning into a
large source of dark traffic?* I review a use case (traffic directed to
CrossRef) and discuss how other top web properties deal with this issue by
adopting a so-called "Referrer Policy"."

I don't know anything about this beyond what I've read on Meta, but I think
it offers some useful background for this discussion.

Pete
--
Pete Forsyth
[[User:Peteforsyth]] on English Wikipedia, Wikisource, Commons, etc.

On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 7:58 AM, Andrew Lih <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Probably a good time for everyone to know about EFF's HTTPS Everywhere:
>
> HTTPS Everywhere is a Firefox, Chrome, and Opera extension that encrypts
> your communications with many major websites, making your browsing more
> secure. Encrypt the web: Install HTTPS Everywhere today.
>
> https://www.eff.org/https-everywhere
>

> On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 10:02 AM, Johan Jönsson <[hidden email]>

> > > for an organization taking on the NSA  for "spying"..why are we using
> > > https? doesn't that show that we are already scared of them and
> > > running with our tail between our legs?
> > >

> > (For non-technical readers: the HTTP protocol is the normal way to send
> > around information on the web. HTTPS is the secure way of sending said
> > information, adding encryption among other things, to avoid
> eavesdropping.)
> >
> > HTTP traffic can easily be tracked by people sharing the same network, by
> > your Internet service provider and so on. If one cares about privacy,
> HTTPS
> > is always important. It's worth noting that the NSA is not the only
> > government agency in the world. I'd be even more worried about a number
> of
> > countries where there would be little chance to fight the intruding party
> > in the courtroom.
> >
> > Side note: you could probably track most HTTPS traffic to Wikipedia as
> > well, even if you're not the NSA. Normally you would see that the user
> has
> > accessed Wikipedia, but not which article. A way around that would be to
> > let a spider (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_crawler) track the byte
> > size of Wikipedia articles, which should be individual enough as soon as
> > images are involved and compare it to the size of the page the user just
> > accessed. If two articles happen to be of exactly the same size, compare
> > with incoming and outgoing wiki links and see if the user accessed any
> page
> > linking to or linked from one the articles to determine which one. But it
> > would at least take some sort of effort, and wouldn't be perfect.
> >
> > //Johan Jönsson

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcement: WMF to file suit against the NSA

Ivan Martínez
That's great!
Pending for translation.

> [...]
> > > well, even if you're not the NSA. Normally you would see that the user
> > has
> > > accessed Wikipedia, but not which article. A way around that would be
> > > let a spider (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_crawler) track the
> byte
> > > size of Wikipedia articles, which should be individual enough as soon
> as
> > > images are involved and compare it to the size of the page the user
> just
> > > accessed. If two articles happen to be of exactly the same size,
> compare
> > > with incoming and outgoing wiki links and see if the user accessed any
> > page
> > > linking to or linked from one the articles to determine which one. But
> it
> > > would at least take some sort of effort, and wouldn't be perfect.

*Iván Martínez*

*Wikimanía 2015 Chief CoordinatorUser:ProtoplasmaKid
@protoplasmakidhttp://wikimania2015.wikimedia.org
<http://wikimania2015.wikimedia.org>*

Hemos creado la más grande colección de conocimiento compartido. Ayuda a
proteger a Wikipedia, dona ahora:
https://donate.wikimedia.org

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcement: WMF to file suit against the NSA

Johan Jönsson

> Hi All,
>
> I’m writing to let you know that today the Wikimedia Foundation[1] is
> filing suit against the National Security Agency
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Security_Agency>, the Department
> of
> Justice <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Department_of_Justice
> >,
> and the U.S. Attorney General
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Attorney_General>[2] in order
> to challenge certain mass surveillance practices carried out by the U.S.
> government. We believe these practices are impinging the freedom to learn,
> inquire, and explore on Wikimedia sites.
>
> Since the 2013 mass surveillance disclosures, we’ve heard concerns from the
> community about privacy on Wikipedia. This lawsuit is a step towards
> addressing the community's justified concerns. We believe that the
> surveillance methods being employed by the NSA under the authority of the
> FISA
> Amendments Act
> <
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foreign_Intelligence_Surveillance_Act_of_1978_Amendments_Act_of_2008
> >
> negatively impact our users' ability and willingness to participate in our
> projects. Today, we fight back.
>
> An op-ed
> <
> http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/10/opinion/stop-spying-on-wikipedia-users.html?_r=0
> >
> by Lila and Jimmy about the lawsuit, and Wikimedia's stance on government
> surveillance, appeared in The New York Times this morning. Additionally, we
> just published a blog post
> <https://blog.wikimedia.org/2015/03/10/wikimedia-v-nsa/> with more
> information about the suit. (The post will also up on Meta for
> translation).

Curious question, by the way: how controversial would you expect this move
to be domestically? From e.g. a Swedish perspective, the NSA is an
intelligence agency of a foreign power and the other mentioned
organizations are either largely uncontroversial and seen in a positive
light (Amnesty, PEN, HRW) or unknown, but will it affect how the WMF is
seen in the US?

//Johan Jönsson

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcement: WMF to file suit against the NSA

Chris Keating-2

> Curious question, by the way: how controversial would you expect this move
> to be domestically? From e.g. a Swedish perspective, the NSA is an
> intelligence agency of a foreign power and the other mentioned
> organizations are either largely uncontroversial and seen in a positive
> light (Amnesty, PEN, HRW) or unknown, but will it affect how the WMF is
> seen in the US?

I'm not American, but the other co-plaintiffs seem to be civil rights /
human rights organisations who are firmly at the left-wing/progressive end
of US politics, some of them probably take the US government to court
fairly often. So being seen in this company might identify the WMF a little
with that part of the US political spectrum.

Equally, the fact that WMF isn't a political organisation and isn't in the
habit of suing the US Government probably adds a lot of weight to the
campaign!

Chris

> //Johan Jönsson

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcement: WMF to file suit against the NSA

It's difficult to overstate how much people love us. We tell them
everything about everything, and we're mostly right and try to stay
neutral. But it's all written by just people! So it's cosy as well.

With SOPA, we discovered that: when Wikipedia says you suck, you *suck*.

So I'd expect that this will only look good for us. But I don't claim
to have numbers to this effect.

On 10 March 2015 at 19:55, Johan Jönsson <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Hi All,
>>
>> I’m writing to let you know that today the Wikimedia Foundation[1] is
>> filing suit against the National Security Agency
>> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Security_Agency>, the Department
>> of
>> Justice <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Department_of_Justice
>> >,
>> and the U.S. Attorney General
>> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Attorney_General>[2] in order
>> to challenge certain mass surveillance practices carried out by the U.S.
>> government. We believe these practices are impinging the freedom to learn,
>> inquire, and explore on Wikimedia sites.
>>
>> Since the 2013 mass surveillance disclosures, we’ve heard concerns from the
>> community about privacy on Wikipedia. This lawsuit is a step towards
>> addressing the community's justified concerns. We believe that the
>> surveillance methods being employed by the NSA under the authority of the
>> FISA
>> Amendments Act
>> <
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foreign_Intelligence_Surveillance_Act_of_1978_Amendments_Act_of_2008
>> >
>> negatively impact our users' ability and willingness to participate in our
>> projects. Today, we fight back.
>>
>> An op-ed
>> <
>> http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/10/opinion/stop-spying-on-wikipedia-users.html?_r=0
>> >
>> by Lila and Jimmy about the lawsuit, and Wikimedia's stance on government
>> surveillance, appeared in The New York Times this morning. Additionally, we
>> just published a blog post
>> <https://blog.wikimedia.org/2015/03/10/wikimedia-v-nsa/> with more
>> information about the suit. (The post will also up on Meta for
>> translation).
>>

> Curious question, by the way: how controversial would you expect this move
> to be domestically? From e.g. a Swedish perspective, the NSA is an
> intelligence agency of a foreign power and the other mentioned
> organizations are either largely uncontroversial and seen in a positive
> light (Amnesty, PEN, HRW) or unknown, but will it affect how the WMF is
> seen in the US?
>
> //Johan Jönsson

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcement: WMF to file suit against the NSA

Raymond Leonard
In the U.S., there is also a strong minority contingent of Libertarians,
who tend to be on the right-wing/conservative part of the political
spectrum. These are natural allies for both privacy & governmental
non-intrunsion. I think that they would welcome WMF joining this legal
action.

Yours,
Peaceray

On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 1:15 PM, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> government
> >> surveillance, appeared in The New York Times this morning.
> Additionally, we
> >> just published a blog post
> >> <https://blog.wikimedia.org/2015/03/10/wikimedia-v-nsa/> with more
> >> information about the suit. (The post will also up on Meta for
> >> translation).
> >>

> > Curious question, by the way: how controversial would you expect this
> move
> > to be domestically? From e.g. a Swedish perspective, the NSA is an
> > intelligence agency of a foreign power and the other mentioned
> > organizations are either largely uncontroversial and seen in a positive
> > light (Amnesty, PEN, HRW) or unknown, but will it affect how the WMF is
> > seen in the US?
> >
> > //Johan Jönsson

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcement: WMF to file suit against the NSA

James Alexander-3
Aye, I also only have anecdotal evidince at this point (from my father who
has been messaging me and myself) but the comments I've seen in the
american press have been 10:1 (higher on tech sites) with generally more
thoughtful comments then usual and where there are critiques they are not
bad ones. So far it looks like folks are very supportive of it.

This of course comes with the usual caveats of possible filter bubbles and
"commenters on american news sites not necessarily equating to a range of
american views".

James

> [...]

> government
> >> surveillance, appeared in The New York Times this morning.
> Additionally, we
> >> just published a blog post
> >> <https://blog.wikimedia.org/2015/03/10/wikimedia-v-nsa/> with more
> >> information about the suit. (The post will also up on Meta for
> >> translation).
> >>

> > Curious question, by the way: how controversial would you expect this
> move
> > to be domestically? From e.g. a Swedish perspective, the NSA is an
> > intelligence agency of a foreign power and the other mentioned
> > organizations are either largely uncontroversial and seen in a positive
> > light (Amnesty, PEN, HRW) or unknown, but will it affect how the WMF is
> > seen in the US?
> >
> > //Johan Jönsson

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcement: WMF to file suit against the NSA

On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 1:15 PM, Chris Keating <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I'm not American, but the other co-plaintiffs seem to be civil rights /
> human rights organisations who are firmly at the left-wing/progressive end
> of US politics

I am an American, and I'm not so sure about that characterization. Here are
the co-plaintiffs:

NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF CRIMINAL DEFENSE LAWYERS
HUMAN RIGHTS WATCH
AMNESTY INTERNATIONAL USA
PEN AMERICAN CENTER
GLOBAL FUND FOR WOMEN
THE NATION MAGAZINE
THE RUTHERFORD INSTITUTE
WASHINGTON OFFICE ON LATIN AMERICA

The one organization that describes itself as "the flagship of the left" is
The Nation magazine; I'm curious why they would be involved, without a
balancing conservative publication. Other than them, these seem like
non-partisan entities. You might describe a couple as left-leaning, but
others might be described as right-leaning.

In American politics, it seems to me that there is a similar (if not
greater) level of mistrust of the NSA and government surveillance among
right wing groups like the Tea Party, as there is among left wing
groups.[1] I think it's safe to say this is an issue that has significant
resonance across the political spectrum, and it would be interesting to
watch any effort to spin it as partisan for one side or the other. I doubt
such an attempt would be successful, but I could be wrong...it would be
interesting to watch it play out.

Speaking for myself, I'm less concerned about public perception of
Wikipedia's brand name on something like this, than success. Will this lead
to better policy? I'd be interested to hear more about the calculations and
predictions that went into it.

I believe people's judgments of Wikipedia, the Wikimedia movement, and the
Wikimedia Foundation will generally be formed on less politically charged
issues. Wikimedia is founded on collaborative practices; I believe the way
we treat stakeholders in the context of our various project-focused
activities, and the quality and reach of the projects themselves, have a
bigger impact on public perception.

If the Wikimedia Foundation gets an apparent "win" here, as it did with
SOPA, there may be some significant upside. If not, I think the only
downside would be expended resources; and (by design), WMF does not have
much accountability for poorly spent resources. So I don't see much of a
practical downside.

Pete
[[User:Peteforsyth]]

[1] Lawrence Lessig has had compelling things to say about Occupy
(generally considered left-leaning) and the Tea Party (right wing):
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/19/lawrence-lessig-occupy-tea-party_n_1018844.html