[Wikimedia-l] Announcement

Philippe Beaudette-3
Dear friends,

Six years is a long time.  Over the last six years, I've been privileged to
be a part of so many things with you.  And I'm proud of what we've done
together.  For the last six years, I've been a part of things that will
excite me until the day that I die - the things that, together, we did in
service of that phrase - "the sum of human knowledge" - were magical.  I'll
never forget them, and I've been honored to be a part of this movement.

But it's time for me to move on.

As many of you know, for the last couple of years, I've struggled with my
health.  I've come to the unpleasant realization that for my own good, I
need to step back and focus on healing, and then look around for new and
exciting opportunities.

When Sue left, she said that her decision process included looking around
and taking stock of the people and the condition of the Foundation, and
asking herself "Is it safe? If I leave, is it safe?" and when she knew it
was, she began to consider the idea.

I've been doing the same, obviously focused on projects and programs that
are important to me.  And I look around and I know that with the
contributors that we have - brilliant, dedicated, passionate people.... and
the staff that we have - dynamic, talented, devoted, and fearless.... it's
safe.  So it's time for me to move on, and to leave it to them.

As a housekeeping note:  I've agreed with Luis that I'll be available until
9/15, though I'll be out on medical leave, so may be slow to answer
questions.  If I owe you something, please remind me so that we can get it
properly assigned out.

You can all reach out to me at any time... [hidden email].... and
any time I see you will be a celebration.

With my deepest affection,

Philippe

*Philippe Beaudette * \\  Director, Community Advocacy \\ Wikimedia
Foundation, Inc.
T: 1-415-839-6885 x6643 |  [hidden email]  |  :  @Philippewiki
<https://twitter.com/Philippewiki>

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcement

Luis Villa
This is the kind of email you never want to respond to, either as a manager
or as a friend. Philippe will, of course, be missed around here. I spent my
first two years here literally looking him in the eye over a cube wall
every day, and as the office’s most frequent explainer of all things wiki,
the place will not be the same without him. But I am also very glad to know
that he will be taking care of himself so that he can tackle his next
challenge from a healthy place.

While Philippe will be impossible to completely replace, I am excited to
share that Maggie Dennis [[User:Mdennis (WMF)]] has been promoted to
Director of Community Advocacy, effective immediately. I expect Maggie’s
amazing combination of energy, patience, and organization will make her a
great leader for the team, and that the team will continue to be a solid
source of support and communication with contributors.

No transition is perfectly smooth, but I expect this one should be
reasonably transparent for people outside the team: Maggie has already been
managing much of the day-to-day work of the team, and her strong
organizational and communications skills will shine through here. That
said, please have some patience with the team as they adjust to new lines
of communication and organization.

Sadly, but with good memories of the past and optimism about the future-
Luis

On Mon, Aug 31, 2015 at 12:01 PM, Philippe Beaudette <[hidden email]
> wrote:

> Dear friends,
>
> Six years is a long time.  Over the last six years, I've been privileged to
> be a part of so many things with you.  And I'm proud of what we've done
> together.  For the last six years, I've been a part of things that will
> excite me until the day that I die - the things that, together, we did in
> service of that phrase - "the sum of human knowledge" - were magical.  I'll
> never forget them, and I've been honored to be a part of this movement.
>
> But it's time for me to move on.
>
> As many of you know, for the last couple of years, I've struggled with my
> health.  I've come to the unpleasant realization that for my own good, I
> need to step back and focus on healing, and then look around for new and
> exciting opportunities.
>
> When Sue left, she said that her decision process included looking around
> and taking stock of the people and the condition of the Foundation, and
> asking herself "Is it safe? If I leave, is it safe?" and when she knew it
> was, she began to consider the idea.
>
> I've been doing the same, obviously focused on projects and programs that
> are important to me.  And I look around and I know that with the
> contributors that we have - brilliant, dedicated, passionate people.... and
> the staff that we have - dynamic, talented, devoted, and fearless.... it's
> safe.  So it's time for me to move on, and to leave it to them.
>
> As a housekeeping note:  I've agreed with Luis that I'll be available until
> 9/15, though I'll be out on medical leave, so may be slow to answer
> questions.  If I owe you something, please remind me so that we can get it
> properly assigned out.
>
> You can all reach out to me at any time... [hidden email].... and
> any time I see you will be a celebration.
>
> With my deepest affection,
>
> Philippe
>
> *Philippe Beaudette * \\  Director, Community Advocacy \\ Wikimedia
> Foundation, Inc.
> T: 1-415-839-6885 x6643 |  [hidden email]  |  :  @Philippewiki
> <https://twitter.com/Philippewiki>

Luis Villa
Sr. Director of Community Engagement
Wikimedia Foundation
*Working towards a world in which every single human being can freely share
in the sum of all knowledge.*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcement

Gregory Varnum-2
Philippe,

Very sad to hear this news. While the movement and WMF are in a better
place because of your work - that is in part why the impact of your
departure will be felt movement-wide.

It has always been a pleasure working with you and I am happy to hear that
you will remain present in the community. I certainly hope for a speedy and
full recovery on any remaining health challenges.

Also, best wishes on your next adventures - I am confident you will
continue to do amazing things. But still very sad to see you go. :(

Maggie - congratulations and condolences. While it is under sad
circumstances, it is still great and promising news.

-greg (User:Varnent)

On Mon, Aug 31, 2015 at 3:06 PM, Luis Villa <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> until
> > 9/15, though I'll be out on medical leave, so may be slow to answer
> > questions.  If I owe you something, please remind me so that we can get
> it
> > properly assigned out.
> >
> > You can all reach out to me at any time... [hidden email].... and
> > any time I see you will be a celebration.
> >
> > With my deepest affection,
> >
> > Philippe
> >
> > *Philippe Beaudette * \\  Director, Community Advocacy \\ Wikimedia
> > Foundation, Inc.
> > T: 1-415-839-6885 x6643 |  [hidden email]  |  :  @Philippewiki
> > <https://twitter.com/Philippewiki>

> Luis Villa
> Sr. Director of Community Engagement
> Wikimedia Foundation
> *Working towards a world in which every single human being can freely share

Amy Vossbrinck
ARGHHHHHHHH!!! and😢.  We will surely miss you Philippe!  I'll make sure,
if I stumble on to anymore exceptional peanut butter/chocolate recipes,
that they head your way post haste!

Please take very good care of your wonderful self,  Amy

On Mon, Aug 31, 2015 at 12:01 PM, Philippe Beaudette <[hidden email]
> wrote:

> Dear friends,
>
> Six years is a long time.  Over the last six years, I've been privileged to
> be a part of so many things with you.  And I'm proud of what we've done
> together.  For the last six years, I've been a part of things that will
> excite me until the day that I die - the things that, together, we did in
> service of that phrase - "the sum of human knowledge" - were magical.  I'll
> never forget them, and I've been honored to be a part of this movement.
>
> But it's time for me to move on.
>
> As many of you know, for the last couple of years, I've struggled with my
> health.  I've come to the unpleasant realization that for my own good, I
> need to step back and focus on healing, and then look around for new and
> exciting opportunities.
>
> When Sue left, she said that her decision process included looking around
> and taking stock of the people and the condition of the Foundation, and
> asking herself "Is it safe? If I leave, is it safe?" and when she knew it
> was, she began to consider the idea.
>
> I've been doing the same, obviously focused on projects and programs that
> are important to me.  And I look around and I know that with the
> contributors that we have - brilliant, dedicated, passionate people.... and
> the staff that we have - dynamic, talented, devoted, and fearless.... it's
> safe.  So it's time for me to move on, and to leave it to them.
>
> As a housekeeping note:  I've agreed with Luis that I'll be available until
> 9/15, though I'll be out on medical leave, so may be slow to answer
> questions.  If I owe you something, please remind me so that we can get it
> properly assigned out.
>
> You can all reach out to me at any time... [hidden email].... and
> any time I see you will be a celebration.
>
> With my deepest affection,
>
> Philippe
>
> *Philippe Beaudette * \\  Director, Community Advocacy \\ Wikimedia
> Foundation, Inc.
> T: 1-415-839-6885 x6643 |  [hidden email]  |  :  @Philippewiki
> <https://twitter.com/Philippewiki>

*Amy Vossbrinck*
*Executive Assistant to the*
*Chief of Finance and Administration, Garfield Byrd*
*Wikimedia Foundation*
*149 New Montgomery Street*
*San Francisco, CA 94105*
*415.839.6885  ext 6628*
*[hidden email] <[hidden email]>*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcement

Pine W
Thank you, Philippe.

Speaking of courage, I admire your ability to persevere through thick and
thin, 24/7, and your going above and beyond the call of duty on more than
one occasion.

I hope that your rest is restorative.

Wikimedia is better, stronger, safer, and more resilient because of your
work here.

Gratefully,

Pine

On Mon, Aug 31, 2015 at 12:01 PM, Philippe Beaudette <[hidden email]
> wrote:

> Dear friends,
>
> Six years is a long time.  Over the last six years, I've been privileged to
> be a part of so many things with you.  And I'm proud of what we've done
> together.  For the last six years, I've been a part of things that will
> excite me until the day that I die - the things that, together, we did in
> service of that phrase - "the sum of human knowledge" - were magical.  I'll
> never forget them, and I've been honored to be a part of this movement.
>
> But it's time for me to move on.
>
> As many of you know, for the last couple of years, I've struggled with my
> health.  I've come to the unpleasant realization that for my own good, I
> need to step back and focus on healing, and then look around for new and
> exciting opportunities.
>
> When Sue left, she said that her decision process included looking around
> and taking stock of the people and the condition of the Foundation, and
> asking herself "Is it safe? If I leave, is it safe?" and when she knew it
> was, she began to consider the idea.
>
> I've been doing the same, obviously focused on projects and programs that
> are important to me.  And I look around and I know that with the
> contributors that we have - brilliant, dedicated, passionate people.... and
> the staff that we have - dynamic, talented, devoted, and fearless.... it's
> safe.  So it's time for me to move on, and to leave it to them.
>
> As a housekeeping note:  I've agreed with Luis that I'll be available until
> 9/15, though I'll be out on medical leave, so may be slow to answer
> questions.  If I owe you something, please remind me so that we can get it
> properly assigned out.
>
> You can all reach out to me at any time... [hidden email].... and
> any time I see you will be a celebration.
>
> With my deepest affection,
>
> Philippe
>
> *Philippe Beaudette * \\  Director, Community Advocacy \\ Wikimedia
> Foundation, Inc.
> T: 1-415-839-6885 x6643 |  [hidden email]  |  :  @Philippewiki
> <https://twitter.com/Philippewiki>

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcement

John Lewis
It is really sad to see you leave, but your health must be your priority,
and not the community as it has been for the past six years. Everything you
have done was always in the best interests of the wider community and that
will never be forgotten.

You've always worked on opening new doors for people and have entrusted
responsibilities into others as well for the greater benefit of the
community. You're leaving the best legacy possible - even if we ignore the
six years :)

Good luck in future opportunities and your health. No one is more deserving
of a rest than yourself!

And congratulations to Maggie - while she is not Philippe, she definitely
will do her best to be the new Philippe.

Regards,
John Lewis

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcement

Nathan Awrich
Very sorry to hear that, Philippe. From the perspective of an outsider to
the WMF and many of the "interior processes" of the Wikimedia community,
you have always been a ray of light and a source of insight, knowledge and
order. Your presence in a discussion, debate or process has always elevated
each and inspired trust where there might otherwise have been none. We will
all be sad to see you go but also hopeful that the time will be restful and
healing before you bring the same qualities to your next role.

It's great to see, however, that Moonriddengirl, our faithful copyright
legal eagle and tireless contributor, will be formally assuming such an
important role. I'm sure she will make Philippe, Luis and us plebes equally
proud.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcement

cro0016
Philippe,

I feel honoured to have known you these last few years. I will sorely miss you around here, and I wish you all the best with everything.

Steven Crossin (Zhang)

Sent from my iPhone

> On 1 Sep 2015, at 5:01 AM, Philippe Beaudette <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Dear friends,
>
> Six years is a long time.  Over the last six years, I've been privileged to
> be a part of so many things with you.  And I'm proud of what we've done
> together.  For the last six years, I've been a part of things that will
> excite me until the day that I die - the things that, together, we did in
> service of that phrase - "the sum of human knowledge" - were magical.  I'll
> never forget them, and I've been honored to be a part of this movement.
>
> But it's time for me to move on.
>
> As many of you know, for the last couple of years, I've struggled with my
> health.  I've come to the unpleasant realization that for my own good, I
> need to step back and focus on healing, and then look around for new and
> exciting opportunities.
>
> When Sue left, she said that her decision process included looking around
> and taking stock of the people and the condition of the Foundation, and
> asking herself "Is it safe? If I leave, is it safe?" and when she knew it
> was, she began to consider the idea.
>
> I've been doing the same, obviously focused on projects and programs that
> are important to me.  And I look around and I know that with the
> contributors that we have - brilliant, dedicated, passionate people.... and
> the staff that we have - dynamic, talented, devoted, and fearless.... it's
> safe.  So it's time for me to move on, and to leave it to them.
>
> As a housekeeping note:  I've agreed with Luis that I'll be available until
> 9/15, though I'll be out on medical leave, so may be slow to answer
> questions.  If I owe you something, please remind me so that we can get it
> properly assigned out.
>
> You can all reach out to me at any time... [hidden email].... and
> any time I see you will be a celebration.
>
> With my deepest affection,
>
> Philippe
>
> *Philippe Beaudette * \\  Director, Community Advocacy \\ Wikimedia
> Foundation, Inc.
> T: 1-415-839-6885 x6643 |  [hidden email]  |  :  @Philippewiki
> <https://twitter.com/Philippewiki>

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcement

Kevin Gorman
Congratulations to Maggie, and I'm sure she'll do a great job... but
Phillippe, I'm deeply sorry to see you go.  Out of everyone I've ever
met, you have to be nearly the closest (if not the actual closest)
thing that exists to a living repository of Wikimedia's history (and
connections.)  I don't WMF can ever have another Philippe, and we will
certainly not benefit from losing  you.  The movement as a whole has
greatly benefitted from your passions and most of us have litttle idea
how much critically important stuff you have handled behind the
curtain that has allowed the projects to keep functioning.  (I mean,
I'm sure I only know the tiniest fraction of it but Is till know
enough to know that your actions and passion greatly - almost
incalculaby greatly - contributed, oft invisibly, to the success of
the mvovement,)

Still though...as I've learned myself in the past year, health has to
come first.  I wish you the best of luck, and hope our paths cross
again.

Best,
Kevin Gorman

On Mon, Aug 31, 2015 at 2:55 PM, Steven Zhang <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Philippe,
>
> I feel honoured to have known you these last few years. I will sorely miss you around here, and I wish you all the best with everything.
>
> Steven Crossin (Zhang)
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On 1 Sep 2015, at 5:01 AM, Philippe Beaudette <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Dear friends,
>>
>> Six years is a long time.  Over the last six years, I've been privileged to
>> be a part of so many things with you.  And I'm proud of what we've done
>> together.  For the last six years, I've been a part of things that will
>> excite me until the day that I die - the things that, together, we did in
>> service of that phrase - "the sum of human knowledge" - were magical.  I'll
>> never forget them, and I've been honored to be a part of this movement.
>>
>> But it's time for me to move on.
>>
>> As many of you know, for the last couple of years, I've struggled with my
>> health.  I've come to the unpleasant realization that for my own good, I
>> need to step back and focus on healing, and then look around for new and
>> exciting opportunities.
>>
>> When Sue left, she said that her decision process included looking around
>> and taking stock of the people and the condition of the Foundation, and
>> asking herself "Is it safe? If I leave, is it safe?" and when she knew it
>> was, she began to consider the idea.
>>
>> I've been doing the same, obviously focused on projects and programs that
>> are important to me.  And I look around and I know that with the
>> contributors that we have - brilliant, dedicated, passionate people.... and
>> the staff that we have - dynamic, talented, devoted, and fearless.... it's
>> safe.  So it's time for me to move on, and to leave it to them.
>>
>> As a housekeeping note:  I've agreed with Luis that I'll be available until
>> 9/15, though I'll be out on medical leave, so may be slow to answer
>> questions.  If I owe you something, please remind me so that we can get it
>> properly assigned out.
>>
>> You can all reach out to me at any time... [hidden email].... and
>> any time I see you will be a celebration.
>>
>> With my deepest affection,
>>
>> Philippe
>>
>> *Philippe Beaudette * \\  Director, Community Advocacy \\ Wikimedia
>> Foundation, Inc.
>> T: 1-415-839-6885 x6643 |  [hidden email]  |  :  @Philippewiki
>> <https://twitter.com/Philippewiki>

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcement

Marc-Andre
On 15-08-31 03:01 PM, Philippe Beaudette wrote:
> I've come to the unpleasant realization that for my own good, I
> need to step back and focus on healing, and then look around for new and
> exciting opportunities.

Godspeed, Philippe.  I've known you for all of those six years, and I
can tell you without hesitation that you have left a lasting positive
mark on the Foundation and community both.

Be certain to give us news one you are well!

-- Marc

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcement

Michael Snow-5
On 8/31/2015 12:06 PM, Luis Villa wrote:
> While Philippe will be impossible to completely replace, I am excited to
> share that Maggie Dennis [[User:Mdennis (WMF)]] has been promoted to
> Director of Community Advocacy, effective immediately. I expect Maggie’s
> amazing combination of energy, patience, and organization will make her a
> great leader for the team, and that the team will continue to be a solid
> source of support and communication with contributors.
There are few things that could more perfectly illustrate what Philippe
means to the movement than asking Maggie to fill his position. Both are
among the finest people I have had the chance to observe, work with, and
learn from in their many years of involvement with Wikimedia. Each of
them has seemed to me almost ubiquitous at times; and while I know the
potential to spread oneself a little thin in doing so, they both have an
unfailingly supportive presence and a tremendously deep understanding of
our values. I offer them each my best wishes in their respective
futures, both where this touches Wikimedia and where it does not.

--Michael Snow

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcement

Tito Dutta
I am really very sad to see you go.
Most probably we first talked on 10 November 2012 when i sent my
identification details to WMF and you attended.
And later when I contacted you twice or thrice on on-Wiki harassement (IAC,
legal threats etc.) I know we did not agree to some topics (ODoB, Indian
emblem remix work's copyright status etc), but *I was really amazed *to see
your hard work and dedication.
Thanks a ton for your contribution. You are an inspiration for us. Stay
well. Like Kevin, I also hope that "our paths will cross again'.
Regards.
User:Titodutta

On 1 September 2015 at 07:59, Michael Snow <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 8/31/2015 12:06 PM, Luis Villa wrote:
>
>> While Philippe will be impossible to completely replace, I am excited to
>> share that Maggie Dennis [[User:Mdennis (WMF)]] has been promoted to
>> Director of Community Advocacy, effective immediately. I expect Maggie’s
>> amazing combination of energy, patience, and organization will make her a
>> great leader for the team, and that the team will continue to be a solid
>> source of support and communication with contributors.
>>
> There are few things that could more perfectly illustrate what Philippe
> means to the movement than asking Maggie to fill his position. Both are
> among the finest people I have had the chance to observe, work with, and
> learn from in their many years of involvement with Wikimedia. Each of them
> has seemed to me almost ubiquitous at times; and while I know the potential
> to spread oneself a little thin in doing so, they both have an unfailingly
> supportive presence and a tremendously deep understanding of our values. I
> offer them each my best wishes in their respective futures, both where this
> touches Wikimedia and where it does not.
>
> --Michael Snow

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcement

Shlomi Fish
Hi Philippe,

sorry to see you go. I hope you recover soon, and good luck on your future
endeavours!

Regards,

        Shlomi Fish

On Mon, 31 Aug 2015 12:01:26 -0700
Philippe Beaudette <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear friends,
>
> Six years is a long time.  Over the last six years, I've been privileged to
> be a part of so many things with you.  And I'm proud of what we've done
> together.  For the last six years, I've been a part of things that will
> excite me until the day that I die - the things that, together, we did in
> service of that phrase - "the sum of human knowledge" - were magical.  I'll
> never forget them, and I've been honored to be a part of this movement.
>
> But it's time for me to move on.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcement

Steinsplitter Wiki
so sorry to see you go :-(. I hope you recover soon!

> From: [hidden email]
> Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2015 12:01:26 -0700
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: [Wikimedia-l] Announcement
>
> Dear friends,
>
> Six years is a long time.  Over the last six years, I've been privileged to
> be a part of so many things with you.  And I'm proud of what we've done
> together.  For the last six years, I've been a part of things that will
> excite me until the day that I die - the things that, together, we did in
> service of that phrase - "the sum of human knowledge" - were magical.  I'll
> never forget them, and I've been honored to be a part of this movement.
>
> But it's time for me to move on.
>
> As many of you know, for the last couple of years, I've struggled with my
> health.  I've come to the unpleasant realization that for my own good, I
> need to step back and focus on healing, and then look around for new and
> exciting opportunities.
>
> When Sue left, she said that her decision process included looking around
> and taking stock of the people and the condition of the Foundation, and
> asking herself "Is it safe? If I leave, is it safe?" and when she knew it
> was, she began to consider the idea.
>
> I've been doing the same, obviously focused on projects and programs that
> are important to me.  And I look around and I know that with the
> contributors that we have - brilliant, dedicated, passionate people.... and
> the staff that we have - dynamic, talented, devoted, and fearless.... it's
> safe.  So it's time for me to move on, and to leave it to them.
>
> As a housekeeping note:  I've agreed with Luis that I'll be available until
> 9/15, though I'll be out on medical leave, so may be slow to answer
> questions.  If I owe you something, please remind me so that we can get it
> properly assigned out.
>
> You can all reach out to me at any time... [hidden email].... and
> any time I see you will be a celebration.
>
> With my deepest affection,
>
> Philippe
>
> *Philippe Beaudette * \\  Director, Community Advocacy \\ Wikimedia
> Foundation, Inc.
> T: 1-415-839-6885 x6643 |  [hidden email]  |  :  @Philippewiki
> <https://twitter.com/Philippewiki>

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcement

Katie Chan
Thank you for all the great work you've done over the years. I hope your
health improves quickly and fully, and I will see you around on wiki
with us blocking the wrong people, protecting the wrong version, and
editing the wrong articles together.

KTC

--
Katie Chan
Any views or opinions presented in this e-mail are solely those of the

     - Heinrich Heine

---