[Wikimedia-l] Announcing launch of Santali Language Wikipedia

[Wikimedia-l] Announcing launch of Santali Language Wikipedia

Tonmoy Khan
Dear All,

We are very pleased to announce the launch of Santali Language Wikipedia (
https://sat.wikipedia.org). The site has been launched on August 2, 2018
and, after the import of pages from Wikimedia Incubator and some
maintenance work, it’s now open for all. Santali Language’s own alphabet,
Ol Chiki, has been used as the alphabet of this Wikipedia. Santali is
a language in the Munda subfamily of Austroasiatic languages, spoken by
around 7.4 million people in South Asia (Bangladesh, India and Nepal).

This is a very special moment for us and has been made possible because of
the joint effort by Santali Language Wikipedian’s from Bangladesh, India
and Nepal. Wikimedia Bangladesh and Bangla Wikimedia Community
congratulates the Santali Language Community for their accomplishment and
are honored to be a part of this tremendous achievement. Manik Soren, a
dedicated Santali Wikipedian from Bangladesh, along with some very active
Santali Language Wikipedians from Bangladesh and India has been
instrumental in this effort. We would also like to thank Shabab Mustafa,
President of Wikimedia Bangladesh and Nahid Sultan, a very active steward
and Secretary of Wikimedia Bangladesh, for coordinating the effort in
Bangladesh and Odia Wikimedians User Group for coordinating the effort in
India.

It is worth mentioning that the process of creating a Santali Language
Wikipedia began in 2012 and, later on, got momentum in February, 2017. Back
in 2012, Wikimedia Bangladesh organized a Wikipedia meetup and workshop
with the Santali Language Community in Dinajpur District of Bangladesh with
the goal of launching a Santali Language Wikipedia. However, that process
slowed down after some time. Then in September 2017, Wikimedia Bangladesh
organized another meeting with Santali Language Community in a Dhaka
Wikipedia meetup where a decision was made to expedite the launch of the
Wikipedia. Following that discussion, a workshop was organized by Wikimedia
Bangladesh for Santali Language Wikipedians on December 30, 2017. Santali
Language Wikipedians from India also participated in that program through
online discussion. Subsequently, another workshop was organized for Santali
Language Community in India on March 11, 2018 in collaboration with Odia
Wikimedians User Group.

After months of work, Santali Language Wikipedia got the approval of
Language Committee on June 28, 2018 and finally, the Santali Wikipedia site
was launched on August 2, 2018.

Let us congratulate and welcome the Santali Language Community.

Cheers!

Ali Haidar Khan

Executive Committee Member, Wikimedia Bangladesh

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcing launch of Santali Language Wikipedia

Amir E. Aharoni
This is a wonderful achievement. Shows that dedication and organization can
take you far. Good luck in continuing and developing it further!

בתאריך יום ד׳, 8 באוג׳ 2018, 17:49, מאת Ali Haidar Khan ‏<
[hidden email]>:

> Dear All,
>
> We are very pleased to announce the launch of Santali Language Wikipedia (
> https://sat.wikipedia.org). The site has been launched on August 2, 2018
> and, after the import of pages from Wikimedia Incubator and some
> maintenance work, it’s now open for all. Santali Language’s own alphabet,
> Ol Chiki, has been used as the alphabet of this Wikipedia. Santali is
> a language in the Munda subfamily of Austroasiatic languages, spoken by
> around 7.4 million people in South Asia (Bangladesh, India and Nepal).
>
> This is a very special moment for us and has been made possible because of
> the joint effort by Santali Language Wikipedian’s from Bangladesh, India
> and Nepal. Wikimedia Bangladesh and Bangla Wikimedia Community
> congratulates the Santali Language Community for their accomplishment and
> are honored to be a part of this tremendous achievement. Manik Soren, a
> dedicated Santali Wikipedian from Bangladesh, along with some very active
> Santali Language Wikipedians from Bangladesh and India has been
> instrumental in this effort. We would also like to thank Shabab Mustafa,
> President of Wikimedia Bangladesh and Nahid Sultan, a very active steward
> and Secretary of Wikimedia Bangladesh, for coordinating the effort in
> Bangladesh and Odia Wikimedians User Group for coordinating the effort in
> India.
>
> It is worth mentioning that the process of creating a Santali Language
> Wikipedia began in 2012 and, later on, got momentum in February, 2017. Back
> in 2012, Wikimedia Bangladesh organized a Wikipedia meetup and workshop
> with the Santali Language Community in Dinajpur District of Bangladesh with
> the goal of launching a Santali Language Wikipedia. However, that process
> slowed down after some time. Then in September 2017, Wikimedia Bangladesh
> organized another meeting with Santali Language Community in a Dhaka
> Wikipedia meetup where a decision was made to expedite the launch of the
> Wikipedia. Following that discussion, a workshop was organized by Wikimedia
> Bangladesh for Santali Language Wikipedians on December 30, 2017. Santali
> Language Wikipedians from India also participated in that program through
> online discussion. Subsequently, another workshop was organized for Santali
> Language Community in India on March 11, 2018 in collaboration with Odia
> Wikimedians User Group.
>
> After months of work, Santali Language Wikipedia got the approval of
> Language Committee on June 28, 2018 and finally, the Santali Wikipedia site
> was launched on August 2, 2018.
>
> Let us congratulate and welcome the Santali Language Community.
>

> Cheers!
>
> Ali Haidar Khan
>
> Executive Committee Member, Wikimedia Bangladesh

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcing launch of Santali Language Wikipedia

Subhashish Panigrahi
Thank you Haidar for sharing in details about the amazing support that
Wikimedia Bangladesh has provided to the community there. Kudos to the
Santali community for this achievement and all the best for their
activities. And Odia Wikimedians User Group will continue to work with them
more in the future.

Subhashish

On Wed, Aug 8, 2018 at 8:27 PM Amir E. Aharoni <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> Wikimedia
> > Bangladesh for Santali Language Wikipedians on December 30, 2017. Santali
> > Language Wikipedians from India also participated in that program through
> > online discussion. Subsequently, another workshop was organized for
> Santali
> > Language Community in India on March 11, 2018 in collaboration with Odia
> > Wikimedians User Group.
> >
> > After months of work, Santali Language Wikipedia got the approval of
> > Language Committee on June 28, 2018 and finally, the Santali Wikipedia
> site
> > was launched on August 2, 2018.
> >
> > Let us congratulate and welcome the Santali Language Community.
> >

> > Cheers!
> >
> > Ali Haidar Khan
> >
> > Executive Committee Member, Wikimedia Bangladesh

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcing launch of Santali Language Wikipedia

Jean-Philippe Béland
Congratulations and thank you for sharing your experience!

JP
User:Amqui

On Wed, Aug 8, 2018 at 12:34 PM, Subhashish Panigrahi <[hidden email]
> [...]

> Santali
> > > Language Wikipedians from India also participated in that program
> through
> > > online discussion. Subsequently, another workshop was organized for
> > Santali
> > > Language Community in India on March 11, 2018 in collaboration with
> Odia
> > > Wikimedians User Group.
> > >
> > > After months of work, Santali Language Wikipedia got the approval of
> > > Language Committee on June 28, 2018 and finally, the Santali Wikipedia
> > site
> > > was launched on August 2, 2018.
> > >
> > > Let us congratulate and welcome the Santali Language Community.
> > >

> > > Cheers!
> > >
> > > Ali Haidar Khan
> > >
> > > Executive Committee Member, Wikimedia Bangladesh

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcing launch of Santali Language Wikipedia

Isaac Olatunde
I am happy about this news. Congratulations!

Regards,

Isaac

On Aug 8, 2018 6:31 PM, "Jean-Philippe Béland" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Congratulations and thank you for sharing your experience!
>
> JP
> User:Amqui
>

> On Wed, Aug 8, 2018 at 12:34 PM, Subhashish Panigrahi <
> [hidden email]
> > wrote:
>
> > Thank you Haidar for sharing in details about the amazing support that
> > Wikimedia Bangladesh has provided to the community there. Kudos to the
> > Santali community for this achievement and all the best for their
> > activities. And Odia Wikimedians User Group will continue to work with
> them
> > more in the future.
> >
> > Subhashish
> >

> > On Wed, Aug 8, 2018 at 8:27 PM Amir E. Aharoni <
> > [hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > This is a wonderful achievement. Shows that dedication and organization
> > can
> > > take you far. Good luck in continuing and developing it further!
> > >
> > > בתאריך יום ד׳, 8 באוג׳ 2018, 17:49, מאת Ali Haidar Khan ‏<

> > Wikipedia
> > > (
> > 2018
> > alphabet,
> by
> Nepal).

> because
> > > of
> > India
> > and
> Soren, a
> > active
> > Mustafa,
> > steward
> effort
> > in

> Language
> 2017.
> > > Back
> workshop
> Bangladesh
> > > with
> > process
> > Bangladesh
> > the
> > > Wikimedia
> > Santali
> > through
> > > Santali
> > Odia

> Wikipedia
> > > site

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcing launch of Santali Language Wikipedia

Tito Dutta
Amazing news. Congratulations and best wishes.

Thanks
Tito Dutta
Note: If I don't reply to your email in 2 days, please feel free to remind
me over email or phone call.

On Wed, 8 Aug 2018 at 23:01, Jean-Philippe Béland <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Congratulations and thank you for sharing your experience!
>
> JP
> User:Amqui
>

> On Wed, Aug 8, 2018 at 12:34 PM, Subhashish Panigrahi <
> [hidden email]
> > wrote:
>
> > Thank you Haidar for sharing in details about the amazing support that
> > Wikimedia Bangladesh has provided to the community there. Kudos to the
> > Santali community for this achievement and all the best for their
> > activities. And Odia Wikimedians User Group will continue to work with
> them
> > more in the future.
> >
> > Subhashish
> >

> > On Wed, Aug 8, 2018 at 8:27 PM Amir E. Aharoni <
> > [hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > This is a wonderful achievement. Shows that dedication and organization
> > can
> > > take you far. Good luck in continuing and developing it further!
> > >
> > > בתאריך יום ד׳, 8 באוג׳ 2018, 17:49, מאת Ali Haidar Khan ‏<

> > Wikipedia
> > > (
> > 2018
> > alphabet,
> by
> Nepal).

> because
> > > of
> > India
> > and
> Soren, a
> > active
> > Mustafa,
> > steward
> effort
> > in

> Language
> 2017.
> > > Back
> workshop
> Bangladesh
> > > with
> > process
> > Bangladesh
> > the
> > > Wikimedia
> > Santali
> > through
> > > Santali
> > Odia

> Wikipedia
> > > site

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcing launch of Santali Language Wikipedia

Johan Jönsson-2
 On Wed, Aug 8, 2018 at 4:48 PM, Ali Haidar Khan <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> We are very pleased to announce the launch of Santali Language Wikipedia (
> https://sat.wikipedia.org).

Lovely to see.

//Johan Jönsson

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcing launch of Santali Language Wikipedia

Bodhisattwa Mandal
Congratulations Santali community. Thanks to Wikimedia Bangladesh and Odia
Wikimedians User Group for the all the support.

West Bengal Wikimedians User Group will be happy to work together in future
to grow Santali Wikimedia community in the state of West Bengal.

Looking forward,
Bodhisattwa

wrote:

> Congratulations and thank you for sharing your experience!
>
> JP
> User:Amqui
>

> On Wed, Aug 8, 2018 at 12:34 PM, Subhashish Panigrahi <
> [hidden email]
> > wrote:
>
> > Thank you Haidar for sharing in details about the amazing support that
> > Wikimedia Bangladesh has provided to the community there. Kudos to the
> > Santali community for this achievement and all the best for their
> > activities. And Odia Wikimedians User Group will continue to work with
> them
> > more in the future.
> >
> > Subhashish
> >

> > On Wed, Aug 8, 2018 at 8:27 PM Amir E. Aharoni <
> > [hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > This is a wonderful achievement. Shows that dedication and
organization

> > can
> > > take you far. Good luck in continuing and developing it further!
> > >
> > > בתאריך יום ד׳, 8 באוג׳ 2018, 17:49, מאת Ali Haidar Khan ‏<

> > Wikipedia
> > > (
> > 2018
> > alphabet,
is

> by
> Nepal).

> because
> > > of
> > India
accomplishment

> > and
> Soren, a
> > active
> > Mustafa,
> > steward
in

> effort
> > in

> Language
> 2017.
> > > Back
> workshop
> Bangladesh
> > > with
> > process
> > Bangladesh
> > the
> > > Wikimedia
> > Santali
> > through
> > > Santali
> > Odia

> Wikipedia
> > > site

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcing launch of Santali Language Wikipedia

yohannvt
This is amazing news Haidar..
Congratulations to the Santali language community.. :)

Is there a mailing list for the community?? I need to add it to the WMIN
site, in the section of the Indic language wiki projects..

http://wiki.wikimedia.in/List_of_Indian_language_wiki_projects

Regards,
Yohann

On Wed 8 Aug, 2018, 20:19 Ali Haidar Khan, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> We are very pleased to announce the launch of Santali Language Wikipedia (
> https://sat.wikipedia.org). The site has been launched on August 2, 2018
> and, after the import of pages from Wikimedia Incubator and some
> maintenance work, it’s now open for all. Santali Language’s own alphabet,
> Ol Chiki, has been used as the alphabet of this Wikipedia. Santali is
> a language in the Munda subfamily of Austroasiatic languages, spoken by
> around 7.4 million people in South Asia (Bangladesh, India and Nepal).
>
> This is a very special moment for us and has been made possible because of
> the joint effort by Santali Language Wikipedian’s from Bangladesh, India
> and Nepal. Wikimedia Bangladesh and Bangla Wikimedia Community
> congratulates the Santali Language Community for their accomplishment and
> are honored to be a part of this tremendous achievement. Manik Soren, a
> dedicated Santali Wikipedian from Bangladesh, along with some very active
> Santali Language Wikipedians from Bangladesh and India has been
> instrumental in this effort. We would also like to thank Shabab Mustafa,
> President of Wikimedia Bangladesh and Nahid Sultan, a very active steward
> and Secretary of Wikimedia Bangladesh, for coordinating the effort in
> Bangladesh and Odia Wikimedians User Group for coordinating the effort in
> India.
>
> It is worth mentioning that the process of creating a Santali Language
> Wikipedia began in 2012 and, later on, got momentum in February, 2017. Back
> in 2012, Wikimedia Bangladesh organized a Wikipedia meetup and workshop
> with the Santali Language Community in Dinajpur District of Bangladesh with
> the goal of launching a Santali Language Wikipedia. However, that process
> slowed down after some time. Then in September 2017, Wikimedia Bangladesh
> organized another meeting with Santali Language Community in a Dhaka
> Wikipedia meetup where a decision was made to expedite the launch of the
> Wikipedia. Following that discussion, a workshop was organized by Wikimedia
> Bangladesh for Santali Language Wikipedians on December 30, 2017. Santali
> Language Wikipedians from India also participated in that program through
> online discussion. Subsequently, another workshop was organized for Santali
> Language Community in India on March 11, 2018 in collaboration with Odia
> Wikimedians User Group.
>
> After months of work, Santali Language Wikipedia got the approval of
> Language Committee on June 28, 2018 and finally, the Santali Wikipedia site
> was launched on August 2, 2018.
>
> Let us congratulate and welcome the Santali Language Community.
>

> Cheers!
>
> Ali Haidar Khan
>
> Executive Committee Member, Wikimedia Bangladesh

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcing launch of Santali Language Wikipedia

Shabab Mustafa
AFAIK, They do not have any official mailing list yet. Will advise them to
get one।
---
Shabab Mustafa
T. @tarunno
S. shabab.mustafa
W. https://shabab.me

On Thu, Aug 9, 2018 at 11:35 AM Yohann Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> Wikimedia
> > Bangladesh for Santali Language Wikipedians on December 30, 2017. Santali
> > Language Wikipedians from India also participated in that program through
> > online discussion. Subsequently, another workshop was organized for
> Santali
> > Language Community in India on March 11, 2018 in collaboration with Odia
> > Wikimedians User Group.
> >
> > After months of work, Santali Language Wikipedia got the approval of
> > Language Committee on June 28, 2018 and finally, the Santali Wikipedia
> site
> > was launched on August 2, 2018.
> >
> > Let us congratulate and welcome the Santali Language Community.
> >

> > Cheers!
> >
> > Ali Haidar Khan
> >
> > Executive Committee Member, Wikimedia Bangladesh

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcing launch of Santali Language Wikipedia

Eileen Hershenov
This is wonderful!  Congratulations all around!

Eileen Hershenov

Eileen B. Hershenov
General Counsel and Secretary
Wikimedia Foundation
1 Montgomery Street, Suite 1600
<https://maps.google.com/?q=1+Montgomery+Street,+Suite+1600+%0D+San+Francisco,+CA+94104&entry=gmail&source=g>
San Francisco, CA 94104
<https://maps.google.com/?q=1+Montgomery+Street,+Suite+1600+%0D+San+Francisco,+CA+94104&entry=gmail&source=g>
Registered In-House Counsel, State Bar of CA
Licensed in NY State
[hidden email]
(US) 415-483-6676

*NOTICE: This message may be confidential or legally privileged. If you
have received it by accident, please delete it and let us know about the
mistake. As an attorney for the Wikimedia Foundation and for legal/ethical
reasons, I cannot give legal advice to, or serve as a lawyer for, community
members, volunteers, or staff members in their personal capacity. For more
on what this means, please see our legal disclaimer
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Legal_Disclaimer>.*