[Wikimedia-l] Announcing new 'Data Portability' project

[Wikimedia-l] Announcing new 'Data Portability' project

Joe Matazzoni
The Wikimedia Foundation 2018-19 Annual Plan includes the goal Managing Personal Data [1], which aims, among other things, to give users control over their personal data.  A sub-portion of that overall goal, “Data Portability,” lays out two specific, user-facing objectives: to enable users to download their wiki contributions and, if possible, to let users download the data we have about them or their accounts.
Starting in November of 2018, those became the goals of the "Data Portability" project, which has been assigned to the Community Tech team. I just published a page on Meta for this project [2]. Anyone interested can follow its progress there; please have a look and share your ideas and questions with the team on the talk page.
Yours,
Joe
[1] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Annual_Plan/2018-2019/Audiences#Management_of_Personal_Data_(draft_section,_in_progress)
[2] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Community_Tech/Data_Portability <https://newsroom.fb.com/news/2018/04/news-feed-fyi-more-context/>