[Wikimedia-l] Announcing the Hardware donation program

[Wikimedia-l] Announcing the Hardware donation program

Asaf Bartov-2
Dear Wikimedians,

The Wikimedia Foundation is pleased to announce a small new program called
the Hardware Donation Program.  In a word, it is a program designed to
donate depreciated (but fully working) hardware from the WMF office to
community members who would put it to good use.

The program, including instructions on how to apply, is described on Meta,
here:

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Hardware_donation_program

Please read the information carefully. I especially encourage you to pay
attention to the program's design considerations, which determine most of
the decisions we'll be making.

We currently have approximately 20 laptops ready to be donated.
Applications are welcome.

The upcoming Wikimedia Conference in Berlin (in about two weeks) would be
an excellent opportunity to deliver some of those laptops in person to
approved applications, so if you think you might be interested, I'd
encourage you to apply as soon as possible.

Please also help spread the word about this program, by forwarding this
e-mail to other Wikimedia lists you're on, and posting the link to the
program page on village pumps and *community* (not public) social media
channels or other communication forms you use.

Special thanks to User:Anntinomy from Wikimedia Ukraine, who had the idea
of asking about possible donation of older machines from WMF, and inspired
this program.

Mini-FAQ:

Q: Why are you doing this?
A: WMF's Office IT determines a lifetime for work machines, and regularly
replaces older machines.  This creates a stock of older, working machines,
that are available for donation.  We can donate them locally to San
Francisco charities, but figure that if we can find low-cost ways to
deliver them to our own community members, that's so much better.

Q: Am I eligible?
A: Read the fine program documentation.

Q: If I'm eligible, am I guaranteed a donated laptop?
A: no.

Q: Once these 20 laptops are donated, will there be others?
A: yes, eventually.

Q: How can you ensure people would use the machines for Wikimedia purposes?
A: We can't.  We'll be making a good-effort assessment of the likelihood of
Wikimedia use, and make a decision to donate (or not) the equipment. Once
donated, the equipment no longer belongs to WMF. We encourage, but can't
enforce, reporting on impact achieved using the equipment.

Q: I need a few laptops for my event in two weeks! Can I get them through
this program?
A: No. Read the fine program documentation.

Q: I'm really happy about this!
A: So are we! :)

Q: I'm really angry about this!
A: So it goes.

Q: I have more questions!
A: Hit 'Reply'. :)

Cheers,

   Asaf

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcing the Hardware donation program

Tito Dutta
This is an excellent initiative. This should help several editors. Thanks

On 17 March 2017 at 10:36, Asaf Bartov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>
> Q: How can you ensure people would use the machines for Wikimedia purposes?
> A: We can't.  We'll be making a good-effort assessment of the likelihood of
> Wikimedia use, and make a decision to donate (or not) the equipment. Once
> donated, the equipment no longer belongs to WMF. We encourage, but can't
> enforce, reporting on impact achieved using the equipment.
>
> Q: I need a few laptops for my event in two weeks! Can I get them through
> this program?
> A: No. Read the fine program documentation.
>
> Q: I'm really happy about this!
> A: So are we! :)
>
> Q: I'm really angry about this!
> A: So it goes.
>
> Q: I have more questions!
> A: Hit 'Reply'. :)
>
> Cheers,
>
>    Asaf

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcing the Hardware donation program

Craig Franklin
This is a fantastic idea.  Well done to everyone involved.

Cheers,
Craig

On 17 March 2017 at 15:06, Asaf Bartov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>
> Q: How can you ensure people would use the machines for Wikimedia purposes?
> A: We can't.  We'll be making a good-effort assessment of the likelihood of
> Wikimedia use, and make a decision to donate (or not) the equipment. Once
> donated, the equipment no longer belongs to WMF. We encourage, but can't
> enforce, reporting on impact achieved using the equipment.
>
> Q: I need a few laptops for my event in two weeks! Can I get them through
> this program?
> A: No. Read the fine program documentation.
>
> Q: I'm really happy about this!
> A: So are we! :)
>
> Q: I'm really angry about this!
> A: So it goes.
>
> Q: I have more questions!
> A: Hit 'Reply'. :)
>
> Cheers,
>
>    Asaf

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcing the Hardware donation program

Yuri Astrakhan
Awesome, well done! Does the same program apply to servers?

On Fri, Mar 17, 2017 at 1:20 AM Craig Franklin <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> purposes?
> > A: We can't.  We'll be making a good-effort assessment of the likelihood
> of
> > Wikimedia use, and make a decision to donate (or not) the equipment. Once
> > donated, the equipment no longer belongs to WMF. We encourage, but can't
> > enforce, reporting on impact achieved using the equipment.
> >
> > Q: I need a few laptops for my event in two weeks! Can I get them through
> > this program?
> > A: No. Read the fine program documentation.
> >
> > Q: I'm really happy about this!
> > A: So are we! :)
> >
> > Q: I'm really angry about this!
> > A: So it goes.
> >
> > Q: I have more questions!
> > A: Hit 'Reply'. :)
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> >    Asaf

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcing the Hardware donation program

Gergő Tisza
This is one of those cool ideas which seem really obvious, but only in
hindsight. Thanks!

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcing the Hardware donation program

rupert THURNER-2
On Fri, Mar 17, 2017 at 6:06 AM, Asaf Bartov <[hidden email]> wrote:
> We currently have approximately 20 laptops ready to be donated.
> Applications are welcome.

asaf, you mind loose a word about the spec or brand of these laptops?
fyi, in CH we work with https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labdoo for such
occasions, adding e.g. offline en:wp, fr:wp and kiwix to what labdoo
puts on.

rupert

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcing the Hardware donation program

kayode yussuf
This is a laudable effort. I will however suggest that this program be localized.

Local affiliate teams can server as holding bays and dispatchers of donated laptops.

So if I want to donate a laptop here in Lagos, Nigeria, I simply send the said laptop to the local affiliate team and communicate with Wikimedia HQ. when someone local needs a laptop, HQ approves and the local affiliate team on receipt of approvals dispatch the laptop to the person laptop was donated to.

This will ensure global reach, reduce cost and improve efficiency of the project.

Kayode Yussuf

> On Mar 17, 2017, at 08:16, rupert THURNER <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Mar 17, 2017 at 6:06 AM, Asaf Bartov <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> We currently have approximately 20 laptops ready to be donated.
>> Applications are welcome.
>
> asaf, you mind loose a word about the spec or brand of these laptops?
> fyi, in CH we work with https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labdoo for such
> occasions, adding e.g. offline en:wp, fr:wp and kiwix to what labdoo
> puts on.
>
> rupert

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcing the Hardware donation program

Dan Garry
On 17 March 2017 at 05:32, Gergő Tisza <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This is one of those cool ideas which seem really obvious, but only in
> hindsight. Thanks!

Agreed. Thanks to Asaf and all involved in making this happen.

Dan

--
Dan Garry
Lead Product Manager, Discovery

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcing the Hardware donation program

Asaf Bartov-2
No, because anything larger than a laptop would no longer be simple and
cheap to deliver.

   A.

On Fri, Mar 17, 2017 at 9:18 AM Yuri Astrakhan <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> likelihood
> > of
> > > Wikimedia use, and make a decision to donate (or not) the equipment.
> Once
> > > donated, the equipment no longer belongs to WMF. We encourage, but
> can't
> > > enforce, reporting on impact achieved using the equipment.
> > >
> > > Q: I need a few laptops for my event in two weeks! Can I get them
> through
> > > this program?
> > > A: No. Read the fine program documentation.
> > >
> > > Q: I'm really happy about this!
> > > A: So are we! :)
> > >
> > > Q: I'm really angry about this!
> > > A: So it goes.
> > >
> > > Q: I have more questions!
> > > A: Hit 'Reply'. :)
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > >
> > >    Asaf

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcing the Hardware donation program

Michael Maggs
Thank you Asaf.  Did you know that there is already a Commons page for
Community donations?

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons_talk:Equipment_exchange

It would be worth linking your new Meta page to the existing one.

Michael

> [...]
> purposes?
> A: We can't. We'll be making a good-effort assessment of the likelihood of
> Wikimedia use, and make a decision to donate (or not) the equipment. Once
> donated, the equipment no longer belongs to WMF. We encourage, but can't
> enforce, reporting on impact achieved using the equipment.
>
> Q: I need a few laptops for my event in two weeks! Can I get them through
> this program?
> A: No. Read the fine program documentation.
>
> Q: I'm really happy about this!
> A: So are we! :)
>
> Q: I'm really angry about this!
> A: So it goes.
>
> Q: I have more questions!
> A: Hit 'Reply'. :)
>
> Cheers,
>
> Asaf

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcing the Hardware donation program

I wonder if it would make sense to solicit 3rd party laptop donations for
this program? E.g. some businesses may be happy to donate their old laptops
to Wikipedia volunteers...  I am not sure how big of an overhead it would
be, but if WMF is already doing it, 20 vs 200 might not be a significant
difference (?) .

On Fri, Mar 17, 2017 at 1:14 PM Michael Maggs <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > purposes?
> > A: We can't. We'll be making a good-effort assessment of the likelihood
> of
> > Wikimedia use, and make a decision to donate (or not) the equipment. Once
> > donated, the equipment no longer belongs to WMF. We encourage, but can't
> > enforce, reporting on impact achieved using the equipment.
> >
> > Q: I need a few laptops for my event in two weeks! Can I get them through
> > this program?
> > A: No. Read the fine program documentation.
> >
> > Q: I'm really happy about this!
> > A: So are we! :)
> >
> > Q: I'm really angry about this!
> > A: So it goes.
> >
> > Q: I have more questions!
> > A: Hit 'Reply'. :)
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Asaf

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcing the Hardware donation program

Lodewijk
Sounds like a nice thought :) But maybe first go through this round, and
see how that works out? It sounds like a big challenge, and I'm really
curious how they are going to limit overhead. It still sounds like a big
project to me. So lets reduce the amount of community requests that may
make it more complicated to a minimum :P

If it works well, maybe you could look for some community member(s) that
want to help in scaling it up a bit?

Best,
Lodewijk

> [...]
> > of
> > > Wikimedia use, and make a decision to donate (or not) the equipment.
> Once
> > > donated, the equipment no longer belongs to WMF. We encourage, but
> can't
> > > enforce, reporting on impact achieved using the equipment.
> > >
> > > Q: I need a few laptops for my event in two weeks! Can I get them
> through
> > > this program?
> > > A: No. Read the fine program documentation.
> > >
> > > Q: I'm really happy about this!
> > > A: So are we! :)
> > >
> > > Q: I'm really angry about this!
> > > A: So it goes.
> > >
> > > Q: I have more questions!
> > > A: Hit 'Reply'. :)
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > >
> > > Asaf

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcing the Hardware donation program

jmh649
Many of us also get newer laptops while the older ones are still
functional. I bet their are many community members who would also be happy
to donate to such a program.

James

On Fri, Mar 17, 2017 at 12:58 PM, Lodewijk <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Sounds like a nice thought :) But maybe first go through this round, and
> see how that works out? It sounds like a big challenge, and I'm really
> curious how they are going to limit overhead. It still sounds like a big
> project to me. So lets reduce the amount of community requests that may
> make it more complicated to a minimum :P
>
> If it works well, maybe you could look for some community member(s) that
> want to help in scaling it up a bit?
>
> Best,
> Lodewijk

> > I wonder if it would make sense to solicit 3rd party laptop donations for
> > this program? E.g. some businesses may be happy to donate their old
> laptops
> > to Wikipedia volunteers...  I am not sure how big of an overhead it would
> > be, but if WMF is already doing it, 20 vs 200 might not be a significant
> > difference (?) .
> >
> > On Fri, Mar 17, 2017 at 1:14 PM Michael Maggs <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > > Thank you Asaf.  Did you know that there is already a Commons page for
> > > Community donations?
> > >
> > > https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons_talk:Equipment_exchange
> > >
> > > It would be worth linking your new Meta page to the existing one.
> > >
> > > Michael

> > > called

> > > Meta,

> > pay
> most
> > of

> would
> > be

> this
> the
> media

> > idea
> > > inspired

> > regularly
> > machines,

> likelihood
> > > of
> > Once
> > can't

> > through

James Heilman
MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian

The Wikipedia Open Textbook of Medicine

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcing the Hardware donation program

Peter Southwood
And as we are spread around the world, distribution through local affiliates would be less of a logistics problem in many cases.
Cheers,
Peter

wrote:

> Sounds like a nice thought :) But maybe first go through this round,
> and see how that works out? It sounds like a big challenge, and I'm
> really curious how they are going to limit overhead. It still sounds
> like a big project to me. So lets reduce the amount of community
> requests that may make it more complicated to a minimum :P
>
> If it works well, maybe you could look for some community member(s)
> that want to help in scaling it up a bit?
>
> Best,
> Lodewijk

> > I wonder if it would make sense to solicit 3rd party laptop
> > donations for this program? E.g. some businesses may be happy to
> > donate their old
> laptops
> > to Wikipedia volunteers...  I am not sure how big of an overhead it
> > would be, but if WMF is already doing it, 20 vs 200 might not be a
> > significant difference (?) .
> >
> > On Fri, Mar 17, 2017 at 1:14 PM Michael Maggs <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > > Thank you Asaf.  Did you know that there is already a Commons page
> > > for Community donations?
> > >
> > > https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons_talk:Equipment_exchange
> > >
> > > It would be worth linking your new Meta page to the existing one.
> > >
> > > Michael

> > > called

> > > Meta,

> > pay
> most
> > of

> would
> > be

> this
> the
> media

> > idea
> > > inspired

> > regularly
> > machines,

> likelihood
> > > of
> > Once
> > can't

> > through

> > > e>

James Heilman
MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian

The Wikipedia Open Textbook of Medicine

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcing the Hardware donation program

Asaf Bartov-2
I do know the Equipment exchange page, yes.  I do not consider it an
effective vehicle for this program.  Reviewing it now, I stand by it that a
dedicated space on Meta with an explicit form gathering the information we
need is a better fit.

Also, the program is about laptops at the moment, and is based on
depreciated office laptops.  We don't have much photography gear in the
office, and aren't likely to have such gear to donate.

Cheers,

   A.

On Fri, Mar 17, 2017 at 10:14 AM Michael Maggs <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > purposes?
> > A: We can't. We'll be making a good-effort assessment of the likelihood
> of
> > Wikimedia use, and make a decision to donate (or not) the equipment. Once
> > donated, the equipment no longer belongs to WMF. We encourage, but can't
> > enforce, reporting on impact achieved using the equipment.
> >
> > Q: I need a few laptops for my event in two weeks! Can I get them through
> > this program?
> > A: No. Read the fine program documentation.
> >
> > Q: I'm really happy about this!
> > A: So are we! :)
> >
> > Q: I'm really angry about this!
> > A: So it goes.
> >
> > Q: I have more questions!
> > A: Hit 'Reply'. :)
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Asaf

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcing the Hardware donation program

Risker
Just noting as an aside that I'd be hesitant for the WMF to accept donated
laptops for redistribution.  I expect that the WMF's own depreciated
laptops can be warranted to be virus- and malware-free; I'd be a bit
concerned from the risk mitigation perspective if they were to start
providing equipment from third parties that the WMF itself hasn't made sure
is safe, and I'm not sure it's the best use of WMF staff time to go through
that verification process.  (Incidentally, I'd have the same concerns about
chapters and other groups.)

I do really like the idea of the WMF and other groups with depreciated,
verified-safe hardware sharing this hardware with other Wikimedians, though
- it's a great idea.  Laptops are the right things to start with; there may
come a time where other electronic equipment  can be shared in a similar
way.

Risker/Anne

On 17 March 2017 at 17:11, Asaf Bartov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > of
> > > Wikimedia use, and make a decision to donate (or not) the equipment.
> Once
> > > donated, the equipment no longer belongs to WMF. We encourage, but
> can't
> > > enforce, reporting on impact achieved using the equipment.
> > >
> > > Q: I need a few laptops for my event in two weeks! Can I get them
> through
> > > this program?
> > > A: No. Read the fine program documentation.
> > >
> > > Q: I'm really happy about this!
> > > A: So are we! :)
> > >
> > > Q: I'm really angry about this!
> > > A: So it goes.
> > >
> > > Q: I have more questions!
> > > A: Hit 'Reply'. :)
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > >
> > > Asaf

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcing the Hardware donation program

I really wish there was a way to ensure the laptop is safe, regardless of
its source. The chances with WMF laptop might be lower [citation needed],
but nothing is guaranteed, and a clean reinstall should be done regardless
(not a panacea).

On Fri, Mar 17, 2017 at 7:11 PM Risker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Just noting as an aside that I'd be hesitant for the WMF to accept donated
> laptops for redistribution.  I expect that the WMF's own depreciated
> laptops can be warranted to be virus- and malware-free; I'd be a bit
> concerned from the risk mitigation perspective if they were to start
> providing equipment from third parties that the WMF itself hasn't made sure
> is safe, and I'm not sure it's the best use of WMF staff time to go through
> that verification process.  (Incidentally, I'd have the same concerns about
> chapters and other groups.)
>
> I do really like the idea of the WMF and other groups with depreciated,
> verified-safe hardware sharing this hardware with other Wikimedians, though
> - it's a great idea.  Laptops are the right things to start with; there may
> come a time where other electronic equipment  can be shared in a similar
> way.
>
> Risker/Anne
>
> On 17 March 2017 at 17:11, Asaf Bartov <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I do know the Equipment exchange page, yes.  I do not consider it an
> > effective vehicle for this program.  Reviewing it now, I stand by it
> that a
> > dedicated space on Meta with an explicit form gathering the information
> we
> > need is a better fit.
> >
> > Also, the program is about laptops at the moment, and is based on
> > depreciated office laptops.  We don't have much photography gear in the
> > office, and aren't likely to have such gear to donate.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> >    A.
> >
> > On Fri, Mar 17, 2017 at 10:14 AM Michael Maggs <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > > Thank you Asaf.  Did you know that there is already a Commons page for
> > > Community donations?
> > >
> > > https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons_talk:Equipment_exchange
> > >
> > > It would be worth linking your new Meta page to the existing one.
> > >
> > > Michael

> > > called

> > > Meta,

> > pay
> most
> > of

> would
> > be

> this
> the
> media

> > idea
> > > inspired

> > regularly
> > machines,

> likelihood
> > > of
> > Once
> > can't

> > through

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcing the Hardware donation program

Mardetanha-2
as far as I understood from asaf email and meta page, all laptops are fully
formatted with brand new Ubuntu installed on them, so they are safe

Mardetanha

On Sat, Mar 18, 2017 at 2:41 AM, Risker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Just noting as an aside that I'd be hesitant for the WMF to accept donated
> laptops for redistribution.  I expect that the WMF's own depreciated
> laptops can be warranted to be virus- and malware-free; I'd be a bit
> concerned from the risk mitigation perspective if they were to start
> providing equipment from third parties that the WMF itself hasn't made sure
> is safe, and I'm not sure it's the best use of WMF staff time to go through
> that verification process.  (Incidentally, I'd have the same concerns about
> chapters and other groups.)
>
> I do really like the idea of the WMF and other groups with depreciated,
> verified-safe hardware sharing this hardware with other Wikimedians, though
> - it's a great idea.  Laptops are the right things to start with; there may
> come a time where other electronic equipment  can be shared in a similar
> way.
>
> Risker/Anne
>
> On 17 March 2017 at 17:11, Asaf Bartov <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I do know the Equipment exchange page, yes.  I do not consider it an
> > effective vehicle for this program.  Reviewing it now, I stand by it
> that a
> > dedicated space on Meta with an explicit form gathering the information
> we
> > need is a better fit.
> >
> > Also, the program is about laptops at the moment, and is based on
> > depreciated office laptops.  We don't have much photography gear in the
> > office, and aren't likely to have such gear to donate.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> >    A.
> >
> > On Fri, Mar 17, 2017 at 10:14 AM Michael Maggs <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > > Thank you Asaf.  Did you know that there is already a Commons page for
> > > Community donations?
> > >
> > > https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons_talk:Equipment_exchange
> > >
> > > It would be worth linking your new Meta page to the existing one.
> > >
> > > Michael

> > > called

> > > Meta,

> > pay
> most
> > of

> would
> > be

> this
> the
> media

> > idea
> > > inspired

> > regularly
> > machines,

> likelihood
> > > of
> > Once
> > can't

> > through

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcing the Hardware donation program

jmh649
And with chromebooks there is a "powerwash" feature that resets it to "new".

James

On Fri, Mar 17, 2017 at 5:19 PM, Mardetanha <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> as far as I understood from asaf email and meta page, all laptops are fully
> formatted with brand new Ubuntu installed on them, so they are safe
>
> Mardetanha
>
> On Sat, Mar 18, 2017 at 2:41 AM, Risker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Just noting as an aside that I'd be hesitant for the WMF to accept
> donated
> > laptops for redistribution.  I expect that the WMF's own depreciated
> > laptops can be warranted to be virus- and malware-free; I'd be a bit
> > concerned from the risk mitigation perspective if they were to start
> > providing equipment from third parties that the WMF itself hasn't made
> sure
> > is safe, and I'm not sure it's the best use of WMF staff time to go
> through
> > that verification process.  (Incidentally, I'd have the same concerns
> about
> > chapters and other groups.)
> >
> > I do really like the idea of the WMF and other groups with depreciated,
> > verified-safe hardware sharing this hardware with other Wikimedians,
> though
> > - it's a great idea.  Laptops are the right things to start with; there
> may
> > come a time where other electronic equipment  can be shared in a similar
> > way.
> >
> > Risker/Anne
> >
> > On 17 March 2017 at 17:11, Asaf Bartov <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > I do know the Equipment exchange page, yes.  I do not consider it an
> > > effective vehicle for this program.  Reviewing it now, I stand by it
> > that a
> > > dedicated space on Meta with an explicit form gathering the information
> > we
> > > need is a better fit.
> > >
> > > Also, the program is about laptops at the moment, and is based on
> > > depreciated office laptops.  We don't have much photography gear in the
> > > office, and aren't likely to have such gear to donate.
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > >
> > >    A.

> for

> on

> > > pay
> > most
> > > of

> > would
> > > be

> > this
> > the
> > media

> the
> > > idea

> > > regularly
> > > machines,

> > likelihood
> equipment.
> > > Once
> > > can't

> > > through

James Heilman
MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian

The Wikipedia Open Textbook of Medicine

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcing the Hardware donation program

Asaf Bartov-2
Hello, Rupert.

On Fri, Mar 17, 2017 at 12:17 AM rupert THURNER <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> asaf, you mind loose a word about the spec or brand of these laptops?

The specs vary, but all laptops are about 3-4 years old.  The current stock
includes mostly Dell and Lenovo laptops of various models.  We are not
prepared to track the specs in detail, because we are also not prepared to
spend the time answering specific questions and letting people pick and
choose specific models.  (see Principle #1 in the program page on Meta).

The goal of the program is to provide laptops to contributors who really
need a reasonably-recent functioning laptop because they do not have one
(i.e. have a dysfunctional laptop, only have mobile devices, etc.), not to
ones who already have a reasonably-recent functioning laptop and may be
interested in a slight upgrade.  So enabling spec comparison seems like it
would offer a very low return on the time spent.

  A.