[Wikimedia-l] Announcing the Wikimedia Foundation's Technical Engagement team

[Wikimedia-l] Announcing the Wikimedia Foundation's Technical Engagement team

Victoria Coleman

Hello everyone,

to better serve the technical communities that build free and open source software for the movement as well as the communities who use Wikimedia's APIs to interact with our projects, the Wikimedia Foundation is making some structural changes. The Technical Engagement team is a new team in the Technology department of the Wikimedia Foundation reporting to the Foundation's Chief Technology Officer (CTO), Victoria Coleman. This new team has two sub-teams: the Wikimedia Cloud Services team and the Technical Advocacy team. Bryan Davis will manage the Technical Engagement teams. He will also lead the hiring process for a new Developer Advocacy Manager position, which will take over some of the management duties.

The Wikimedia Cloud Services team will continue to focus on maintaining the Wikimedia Cloud VPS infrastructure as a service <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_computing#Infrastructure_as_a_service_.28IaaS.29> platform, the Toolforge platform as a service <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platform_as_a_service> project, and additional supporting technologies used in the Cloud Services environment such as the Wiki Replica databases and the hosting infrastructure for dumps.wikimedia.org <https://dumps.wikimedia.org/>. The existing team of Andrew Bogott, Arturo Borrero Gonzalez, Brooke Storm, and Chase Pettet will be joined by James Hare in the role of Product Manager. The team is also hiring for a fifth Operations Engineer and for a part-time technical support contractor.

The Technical Advocacy team will focus on creating improved documentation for Wikimedia APIs and services as well as providing support for technical contributors and API consumers. The new team is being formed by moving the Foundation's Developer Relations team to the Technology department, with the exception of Rachel Farrand who will remain in Community Engagement in close collaboration with other event organizers. Andre Klapper and Srishti Sethi are both taking the role of Developer Advocate in the new team. A developer advocate is someone whose primary responsibility is to make it easy for developers to use a platform. Typically they do this by producing example software, tutorials, and other documentation explaining how to use the platform's products and services. Sarah R. Rodlund will also be joining the team as a Technical Writer. Technical writing has many subspecialties. Sarah will be focusing on improving our existing documentation by helping create a style guide and editing existing documentation to fit with that guide. She will also be supporting volunteers who are interested in practicing their technical writing skills on Wikimedia documentation. The team will be hiring for a Developer Advocacy Manager role in July. This new person will help round out the skills of the team and will take the lead in developing their programs.

The Technical Engagement team will work with other teams inside the Wikimedia Foundation as well as groups at affiliate organizations and the larger Wikimedia volunteer community to provide technical outreach services and support. We hope to continue to grow the number of people involved in our programs until we can confidently say that we are providing the best help possible to the hundreds of volunteer developers, designers, technical writers, and end users of the Wikimedia movement's APIs and services. We will continue to be involved in existing programs to attract and support new technical contributors like the Wikimedia Hackathons, Outreachy, and Google Summer of Code. We also hope to find new ways to connect with new and existing technical contributors as we support the Wikimedia movement's 2030 strategic direction and the shared goals of knowledge as a service and knowledge equity.

Very excited to be getting started down the path of  strengthening our developer advocacy program!

Best wishes,

Victoria Coleman

Chief Technology Officer
Wikimedia Foundation
1 Montgomery Street, Suite 1600
San Francisco, CA 94104

+1-650-703-8112

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wmfall] Announcing the Wikimedia Foundation's Technical Engagement team

Tony Sebro
This sounds very exciting.  Congrats all around, and three cheers for
supporting our external FOSS developer community!  :)

On Wed, May 23, 2018 at 7:35 PM, Victoria Coleman <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> larger Wikimedia volunteer community to provide technical outreach services
> and support. We hope to continue to grow the number of people involved in
> our programs until we can confidently say that we are providing the best
> help possible to the hundreds of volunteer developers, designers, technical
> writers, and end users of the Wikimedia movement's APIs and services. We
> will continue to be involved in existing programs to attract and support
> new technical contributors like the Wikimedia Hackathons, Outreachy, and
> Google Summer of Code. We also hope to find new ways to connect with new
> and existing technical contributors as we support the Wikimedia movement's
> 2030 strategic direction and the shared goals of knowledge as a service and
> knowledge equity.
>
> Very excited to be getting started down the path of strengthening our

Tony Sebro
Deputy General Counsel
Wikimedia Foundation
1 Montgomery Street, Suite 1600
San Francisco, CA  94104
[hidden email]
(415)839-6885 ext. 6784

*NOTICE: This message may be confidential or legally privileged. If you
have received it by accident, please delete it and let us know about the
mistake. As an attorney for the Wikimedia Foundation, for legal and ethical
reasons, I cannot give legal advice to, or serve as a lawyer for, community
members, volunteers, or staff members in their personal capacity. For more
on what this means, please see our legal disclaimer
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Legal_Disclaimer>.*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wmfall] Announcing the Wikimedia Foundation's Technical Engagement team

Gergo Tisza
That is great news, congrats and thanks to all involved! Support of
Wikimedia/MediaWiki developers and software reusers has gone through a
quantum leap in the last year or so, and this is another solid step towards
creating a more healthy FLOSS ecosystem.

I'd also like to echo what Trey said: while some of the largest problems
with our open source ecosystem (such as documentation and the lack of
public roadmaps/guidace) have been settled or are being settled
reassuringly, code review remains a pain point. And while that's something
that will need the support of all Technology/Audiences teams, there is
still need for a team that can push for that; I hope Technical Engagement
will be empowered to do so.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcing the Wikimedia Foundation's Technical Engagement team

James Salsman-2
Hi Victoria,

Are questions regarding electricity sourcing and usage better directed
to you or Bryan?

Do you have any objections to questions being asked directly of you,
and if not, do you intend to answer questions from the community?

To whom are questions about the user targeting selections of the
English Wikipedia's Feedback Request Service best directed?

Best regards,
Jim

On Wed, May 23, 2018 at 8:35 PM, Victoria Coleman
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>
> Very excited to be getting started down the path of  strengthening our developer advocacy program!
>

> Best wishes,
>
> Victoria Coleman
>
> Chief Technology Officer
> Wikimedia Foundation
> 1 Montgomery Street, Suite 1600
> San Francisco, CA 94104
>
> +1-650-703-8112

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wmfall] Announcing the Wikimedia Foundation's Technical Engagement team

Lynette Logan

> *We hope to continue to grow the number of people involved in our programs
> until we can confidently say that we are providing the best help possible
> to the hundreds of volunteer developers, designers, technical writers, and
> end users of the Wikimedia movement's APIs and services. *

Thank you VC for sharing this news and the important focus of these
changes.

Congratulations all around, with a special shout out to Sarah R and her
evolving contributions to the organization.

-Lynette

Lynette Logan
Director of Administration
Wikimedia Foundation