[Wikimedia-l] Apple Pay donations

Steven Walling
Hey all,

Today Apple announced a bunch of 501(c)3 partners which now can use Apple
Pay to make instant donations. Announcement at:
http://www.apple.com/newsroom/2016/11/a-touch-of-giving-with-apple-pay.html

Does WMF fundraising have plans to integrate with Apple Pay, especially on
mobile devices? I understand that right now it's limited to the US and the
team has been focusing a ton on international payment providers (which is
great). Given that payments on mobile are such a huge headache and
declining desktop traffic to Wikimedia properties, it might be an
interesting pilot to explore nonetheless.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Apple Pay donations

Amir Sarabadani-2
One rather unrelated thing: if you buy from smile.amazon.com, Amazon
donates 0.5% of your purchase to a non-profit foundations of your choice.
WMF is there and I chose it as mine. Maybe we can lobby and ask them to put
it on top of the suggestions.

Best

On Tue, Nov 15, 2016 at 4:42 AM Steven Walling <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> Today Apple announced a bunch of 501(c)3 partners which now can use Apple
> Pay to make instant donations. Announcement at:
> http://www.apple.com/newsroom/2016/11/a-touch-of-giving-with-apple-pay.html
>
> Does WMF fundraising have plans to integrate with Apple Pay, especially on
> mobile devices? I understand that right now it's limited to the US and the
> team has been focusing a ton on international payment providers (which is
> great). Given that payments on mobile are such a huge headache and
> declining desktop traffic to Wikimedia properties, it might be an
> interesting pilot to explore nonetheless.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Apple Pay donations

Antoine Musso-3
On 15/11/16 02:12, Steven Walling wrote:
<snip>
>  Given that payments on mobile are such a huge headache and
> declining desktop traffic to Wikimedia properties, it might be an
> interesting pilot to explore nonetheless.

Hello,

Going out of topic sorry. Regarding mobile and desktop traffic
declining, according to https://reportcard.wmflabs.org/

* Overall page views is about the same since 2013.
* Mobile traffic quickly raised until reaching a plateau in 2015.

Surely one can say that traffic shifted to mobile, but for the last two
years the desktop/mobile ratio seems fairly stable.

The Fundraising team might have some data regarding donations made
through desktop vs mobile and their evolution though.  Maybe mobile has
a better engagement rate, then the mobile app is only a drop of our traffic.

--
Antoine "hashar" Musso

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Apple Pay donations

Lisa Gruwell
Hi Steven-

Yes, we are excited about Apple Pay's new ability to accept donations. It
is on our product roadmap, but we are not certain yet when we will be
rolling it out.

And thanks, Amir, for selecting us for Amazon Smile!

Best,

Lisa Gruwell

On Tue, Nov 15, 2016 at 4:06 AM, Antoine Musso <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 15/11/16 02:12, Steven Walling wrote:
> <snip>
>
>>  Given that payments on mobile are such a huge headache and
>> declining desktop traffic to Wikimedia properties, it might be an
>> interesting pilot to explore nonetheless.
>>

> Hello,
>
> Going out of topic sorry. Regarding mobile and desktop traffic declining,
> according to https://reportcard.wmflabs.org/
>
> * Overall page views is about the same since 2013.
> * Mobile traffic quickly raised until reaching a plateau in 2015.
>
> Surely one can say that traffic shifted to mobile, but for the last two
> years the desktop/mobile ratio seems fairly stable.
>

> The Fundraising team might have some data regarding donations made through
> desktop vs mobile and their evolution though.  Maybe mobile has a better
> engagement rate, then the mobile app is only a drop of our traffic.
>
> --
> Antoine "hashar" Musso

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Apple Pay donations

Steven Walling
Thanks Lisa!
On Tue, Nov 15, 2016 at 7:57 AM Lisa Gruwell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Steven-
>
> Yes, we are excited about Apple Pay's new ability to accept donations. It
> is on our product roadmap, but we are not certain yet when we will be
> rolling it out.
>
> And thanks, Amir, for selecting us for Amazon Smile!
>
> Best,
>
> Lisa Gruwell
>
> On Tue, Nov 15, 2016 at 4:06 AM, Antoine Musso <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On 15/11/16 02:12, Steven Walling wrote:
> > <snip>
> >
> >>  Given that payments on mobile are such a huge headache and
> >> declining desktop traffic to Wikimedia properties, it might be an
> >> interesting pilot to explore nonetheless.
> >>

> > Hello,
> >
> > Going out of topic sorry. Regarding mobile and desktop traffic declining,
> > according to https://reportcard.wmflabs.org/
> >
> > * Overall page views is about the same since 2013.
> > * Mobile traffic quickly raised until reaching a plateau in 2015.
> >
> > Surely one can say that traffic shifted to mobile, but for the last two
> > years the desktop/mobile ratio seems fairly stable.
> >

> > The Fundraising team might have some data regarding donations made
> through
> > desktop vs mobile and their evolution though.  Maybe mobile has a better
> > engagement rate, then the mobile app is only a drop of our traffic.
> >
> > --
> > Antoine "hashar" Musso

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Apple Pay donations

Tilman Bayer
On Tue, Nov 15, 2016 at 4:06 AM, Antoine Musso <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 15/11/16 02:12, Steven Walling wrote:
> <snip>
>>
>>  Given that payments on mobile are such a huge headache and
>> declining desktop traffic to Wikimedia properties, it might be an
>> interesting pilot to explore nonetheless.
>

> Hello,
>
> Going out of topic sorry. Regarding mobile and desktop traffic declining,
> according to https://reportcard.wmflabs.org/
>
> * Overall page views is about the same since 2013.
> * Mobile traffic quickly raised until reaching a plateau in 2015.

As indicated - in small print - on that page, it uses two incompatible
pageview definitions for the time before and after May 2015. Hence it
should not be relied upon for such a trend analysis.
See instead (for example)
https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=File%3AReading_and_Comm_Tech_Quarterly_Review_Q1_2016-17.pdf&page=50

> Surely one can say that traffic shifted to mobile, but for the last two
> years the desktop/mobile ratio seems fairly stable.

Not quite, the ratio still decreased during that time (or conversely,
the mobile percentage increased); although it is true that it did so
less rapidly than in previous years, and also intermittently moved
into the other direction. See the above link or for more detail
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Wikimedia_daily_pageviews,_mobile_percentage_(April_2015-).png
--
Tilman Bayer
Senior Analyst

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Apple Pay donations

rupert THURNER-2
Apple takes their usual 30 % on such donations ?

On Nov 15, 2016 02:12, "Steven Walling" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> Today Apple announced a bunch of 501(c)3 partners which now can use Apple
> Pay to make instant donations. Announcement at:
> http://www.apple.com/newsroom/2016/11/a-touch-of-giving-
> with-apple-pay.html
>
> Does WMF fundraising have plans to integrate with Apple Pay, especially on
> mobile devices? I understand that right now it's limited to the US and the
> team has been focusing a ton on international payment providers (which is
> great). Given that payments on mobile are such a huge headache and
> declining desktop traffic to Wikimedia properties, it might be an
> interesting pilot to explore nonetheless.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Apple Pay donations

Kevin Payravi
Hi Rupert,

The 30% you're referring to is the cut Apple takes for in-app purchases.
Apple Pay is a different platform; neither consumer, merchant, or in this
case, donor and receiver, are charged a fee.

Kevin Payravi
W: www.kevinpayravi.com
E: [hidden email]
P: (330) 554 - 3397

On Wed, Nov 16, 2016 at 2:06 AM, rupert THURNER <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Apple takes their usual 30 % on such donations ?
>
> On Nov 15, 2016 02:12, "Steven Walling" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hey all,
> >
> > Today Apple announced a bunch of 501(c)3 partners which now can use Apple
> > Pay to make instant donations. Announcement at:
> > http://www.apple.com/newsroom/2016/11/a-touch-of-giving-
> > with-apple-pay.html
> >
> > Does WMF fundraising have plans to integrate with Apple Pay, especially
> on
> > mobile devices? I understand that right now it's limited to the US and
> the
> > team has been focusing a ton on international payment providers (which is
> > great). Given that payments on mobile are such a huge headache and
> > declining desktop traffic to Wikimedia properties, it might be an
> > interesting pilot to explore nonetheless.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Apple Pay donations

rupert THURNER-2
Ah, I saw https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Pay now, which says it
takes a part of the credit card fees, 0.15 % in the US. Lower in the
European Union as fees for credit cards must be lower than 0.3 %.

This would mean a normal credit card payment fee applies, isn't it?

Rupert