[Wikimedia-l] Appointment of Gabriele Theren and Peter Dewald to the WMDE Board of Trustees

[Wikimedia-l] Appointment of Gabriele Theren and Peter Dewald to the WMDE Board of Trustees

Tim Moritz Hector-2
Dear all,

I am delighted to announce that Wikimedia Deutschland’s Board has taken the
opportunity to appoint two new members for the first time. Dr. Gabriele
Theren and Peter Dewald are taking appointed seats in our board.

After our general assembly decided to make way for up to 3 appointed seats,
we created a profile of skills we would like to add to the board. We
focussed on the future of Wikimedia Deutschland, strategically and
financially, and got about 60 applications. Many of them showed impressive
profiles, striving for Free Knowledge.

We decided for Gabriele, who is a trained lawyer, mediator and serves as
department head in the Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs in the German
federal state of Saxony-Anhalt. We also elected Peter who has 35 years of
expertise as managing director at Apple and the software group Sage, was
member of the board of Germany’s digital association Bitkom and has a lot
of experience in volunteer work.

Both will be members of the board until the next election by the general
assembly in about one year. Please join me in welcoming Gabriele and Peter
to the Wikiverse.

Best regards,
Tim Moritz Hector

--
Tim Moritz Hector
Chair of the Board

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Appointment of Gabriele Theren and Peter Dewald to the WMDE Board of Trustees

Tim Moritz Hector-2
Hi all,

just a short rectification: We have up to 2 (not 3) appointed seats in the
board. So in total our board consists of 9 members: 7 elected by the
general assembly and 2 appointed.

I am happy that now, with the appointment of Gabriele and Peter, we have
all seats on our board filled.

Best regards,
Tim

>:

> Dear all,
>
> I am delighted to announce that Wikimedia Deutschland’s Board has taken
> the opportunity to appoint two new members for the first time. Dr. Gabriele
> Theren and Peter Dewald are taking appointed seats in our board.
>
> After our general assembly decided to make way for up to 3 appointed
> seats, we created a profile of skills we would like to add to the board. We
> focussed on the future of Wikimedia Deutschland, strategically and
> financially, and got about 60 applications. Many of them showed impressive
> profiles, striving for Free Knowledge.
>
> We decided for Gabriele, who is a trained lawyer, mediator and serves as
> department head in the Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs in the German
> federal state of Saxony-Anhalt. We also elected Peter who has 35 years of
> expertise as managing director at Apple and the software group Sage, was
> member of the board of Germany’s digital association Bitkom and has a lot
> of experience in volunteer work.
>
> Both will be members of the board until the next election by the general
> assembly in about one year. Please join me in welcoming Gabriele and Peter
> to the Wikiverse.
>
> Best regards,
> Tim Moritz Hector
>

> --
> Tim Moritz Hector
> Chair of the Board
> Wikimedia Deutschland

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Appointment of Gabriele Theren and Peter Dewald to the WMDE Board of Trustees

Nataliia Tymkiv
Dear Gabriele and Peter,
Welcome!

Best regards,
antanana / Nataliia Tymkiv

*NOTICE: You may have received this message outside of your normal working
hours/days, as I usually can work more as a volunteer during weekend. You
should not feel obligated to answer it during your days off. Thank you in
advance!*

On Thu, Nov 30, 2017 at 2:47 PM, Tim Moritz Hector <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I am delighted to announce that Wikimedia Deutschland’s Board has taken the
> opportunity to appoint two new members for the first time. Dr. Gabriele
> Theren and Peter Dewald are taking appointed seats in our board.
>
> After our general assembly decided to make way for up to 3 appointed seats,
> we created a profile of skills we would like to add to the board. We
> focussed on the future of Wikimedia Deutschland, strategically and
> financially, and got about 60 applications. Many of them showed impressive
> profiles, striving for Free Knowledge.
>
> We decided for Gabriele, who is a trained lawyer, mediator and serves as
> department head in the Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs in the German
> federal state of Saxony-Anhalt. We also elected Peter who has 35 years of
> expertise as managing director at Apple and the software group Sage, was
> member of the board of Germany’s digital association Bitkom and has a lot
> of experience in volunteer work.
>
> Both will be members of the board until the next election by the general
> assembly in about one year. Please join me in welcoming Gabriele and Peter
> to the Wikiverse.
>
> Best regards,
> Tim Moritz Hector
>

> --
> Tim Moritz Hector
> Chair of the Board
> Wikimedia Deutschland

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Appointment of Gabriele Theren and Peter Dewald to the WMDE Board of Trustees

Liam Wyatt
Thank you for this information Tim, and welcome Peter, and Gabriele!

I know that the boards of Wikimedia- Germany, France, UK and Netherlands
have "appointed" seats (also known as "external" or "expert" seats), and so
too does the WMF. I assume that the formal legal process for these are all
different according to local laws, but I also assume that the purpose is
roughly the same: to ensure there is diversity of expertise and opinions,
to fill specifically identified skill gaps, and to guard against a mere
'popularity contest' election.

Do any other Chapters have "appointed" seats on their boards? Have some
Chapters tried, but rejected the concept?

wittylama.com
Peace, love & metadata

On 30 November 2017 at 14:08, Tim Moritz Hector <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> just a short rectification: We have up to 2 (not 3) appointed seats in the
> board. So in total our board consists of 9 members: 7 elected by the
> general assembly and 2 appointed.
>
> I am happy that now, with the appointment of Gabriele and Peter, we have
> all seats on our board filled.
>
> Best regards,
> Tim

> de
> >:
>
> > Dear all,
> >
> > I am delighted to announce that Wikimedia Deutschland’s Board has taken
> > the opportunity to appoint two new members for the first time. Dr.
> Gabriele
> > Theren and Peter Dewald are taking appointed seats in our board.
> >
> > After our general assembly decided to make way for up to 3 appointed
> > seats, we created a profile of skills we would like to add to the board.
> We
> > focussed on the future of Wikimedia Deutschland, strategically and
> > financially, and got about 60 applications. Many of them showed
> impressive
> > profiles, striving for Free Knowledge.
> >
> > We decided for Gabriele, who is a trained lawyer, mediator and serves as
> > department head in the Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs in the
> German
> > federal state of Saxony-Anhalt. We also elected Peter who has 35 years of
> > expertise as managing director at Apple and the software group Sage, was
> > member of the board of Germany’s digital association Bitkom and has a lot
> > of experience in volunteer work.
> >
> > Both will be members of the board until the next election by the general
> > assembly in about one year. Please join me in welcoming Gabriele and
> Peter
> > to the Wikiverse.
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Tim Moritz Hector
> >

> > --
> > Tim Moritz Hector
> > Chair of the Board
> > Wikimedia Deutschland

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Appointment of Gabriele Theren and Peter Dewald to the WMDE Board of Trustees

Asaf Bartov
Congratulations, Peter and Gabriele, and WMDE.

Liam, to your question, at least one other chapter has appointed board
members: Wikimedia Israel.

   A.

On Thu, Nov 30, 2017 at 5:36 AM Liam Wyatt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> of
> > > expertise as managing director at Apple and the software group Sage,
> was
> > > member of the board of Germany’s digital association Bitkom and has a
> lot
> > > of experience in volunteer work.
> > >
> > > Both will be members of the board until the next election by the
> general
> > > assembly in about one year. Please join me in welcoming Gabriele and
> > Peter
> > > to the Wikiverse.
> > >
> > > Best regards,
> > > Tim Moritz Hector
> > >

> > > --
> > > Tim Moritz Hector
> > > Chair of the Board
> > > Wikimedia Deutschland

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Appointment of Gabriele Theren and Peter Dewald to the WMDE Board of Trustees

Eileen Hershenov
These sound like amazing choices for the board. Congratulations and welcome!
On Thu, Nov 30, 2017 at 7:47 AM Tim Moritz Hector <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I am delighted to announce that Wikimedia Deutschland’s Board has taken the
> opportunity to appoint two new members for the first time. Dr. Gabriele
> Theren and Peter Dewald are taking appointed seats in our board.
>
> After our general assembly decided to make way for up to 3 appointed seats,
> we created a profile of skills we would like to add to the board. We
> focussed on the future of Wikimedia Deutschland, strategically and
> financially, and got about 60 applications. Many of them showed impressive
> profiles, striving for Free Knowledge.
>
> We decided for Gabriele, who is a trained lawyer, mediator and serves as
> department head in the Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs in the German
> federal state of Saxony-Anhalt. We also elected Peter who has 35 years of
> expertise as managing director at Apple and the software group Sage, was
> member of the board of Germany’s digital association Bitkom and has a lot
> of experience in volunteer work.
>
> Both will be members of the board until the next election by the general
> assembly in about one year. Please join me in welcoming Gabriele and Peter
> to the Wikiverse.
>
> Best regards,
> Tim Moritz Hector
>

> --
> Tim Moritz Hector
> Chair of the Board
> Wikimedia Deutschland

Eileen B. Hershenov
General Counsel
Wikimedia Foundation
1 Montgomery Street, Suite 1600
<https://maps.google.com/?q=1+Montgomery+Street,+Suite+1600+%0D+San+Francisco,+CA+94104&entry=gmail&source=g>
San Francisco, CA 94104
<https://maps.google.com/?q=1+Montgomery+Street,+Suite+1600+%0D+San+Francisco,+CA+94104&entry=gmail&source=g>
(Licensed in New York; applying for California Registered In-House Counsel
status)
[hidden email]
(US) 415-483-6676

*NOTICE: This message may be confidential or legally privileged. If you
have received it by accident, please delete it and let us know about the
mistake. As an attorney for the Wikimedia Foundation and for legal/ethical
reasons, I cannot give legal advice to, or serve as a lawyer for, community
members, volunteers, or staff members in their personal capacity. For more
on what this means, please see our legal disclaimer
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Legal_Disclaimer>.*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Appointment of Gabriele Theren and Peter Dewald to the WMDE Board of Trustees

Sandra Rientjes  - Wikimedia Nederland
Hi Liam,

Just a small point of clarification:  in Wikimedia Nederland the Board does
not have the possibility to appoint new Board Members. The General Assembly
'appoints' (i.e. elects) all members of the Board.

Regards,

Sandra Rientjes
Directeur/Executive Director Wikimedia Nederland

tel.    (+31) (0)30 3200238 <+31%2030%20320%200238>
mob. (+31) (0)6  31786379 <+31%206%2031786379>

www.wikimedia.nl

Mariaplaats 3
3511 LH  Utrecht

> [...]
> of
> > > expertise as managing director at Apple and the software group Sage,
> was
> > > member of the board of Germany’s digital association Bitkom and has a
> lot
> > > of experience in volunteer work.
> > >
> > > Both will be members of the board until the next election by the
> general
> > > assembly in about one year. Please join me in welcoming Gabriele and
> > Peter
> > > to the Wikiverse.
> > >
> > > Best regards,
> > > Tim Moritz Hector
> > >

> > > --
> > > Tim Moritz Hector
> > > Chair of the Board
> > > Wikimedia Deutschland

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Appointment of Gabriele Theren and Peter Dewald to the WMDE Board of Trustees

Cornelius Kibelka
For those who are interested in cooption (appointing) of (volunteer) board
members, I can recommend you to read the documentation of the Wikimedia
Conference 2017 session "Cooption in Wikimedia boards":
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Conference_2017/Program/45. Itzik
Edri (WMIL), Michael Maggs (WMUK) and Nataliia Tymkiv (WMF) explained how
their organizations' appointing processes, structures and experiences are.

Best regards
Cornelius

On 30 November 2017 at 14:53, Sandra Rientjes - Wikimedia Nederland <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Liam,
>
> Just a small point of clarification:  in Wikimedia Nederland the Board does
> not have the possibility to appoint new Board Members. The General Assembly
> 'appoints' (i.e. elects) all members of the Board.
>
> Regards,
>

> Sandra Rientjes
> Directeur/Executive Director Wikimedia Nederland
>
> tel.    (+31) (0)30 3200238 <+31%2030%20320%200238>
> mob. (+31) (0)6 31786379 <+31%206%2031786379>
>
> www.wikimedia.nl
>

> Mariaplaats 3
> 3511 LH  Utrecht

> > Thank you for this information Tim, and welcome Peter, and Gabriele!
> >
> > I know that the boards of Wikimedia- Germany, France, UK and Netherlands
> > have "appointed" seats (also known as "external" or "expert" seats), and
> so
> > too does the WMF. I assume that the formal legal process for these are
> all
> > different according to local laws, but I also assume that the purpose is
> > roughly the same: to ensure there is diversity of expertise and opinions,
> > to fill specifically identified skill gaps, and to guard against a mere
> > 'popularity contest' election.
> >
> > Do any other Chapters have "appointed" seats on their boards? Have some
> > Chapters tried, but rejected the concept?
> >

> > wittylama.com
> > Peace, love & metadata
> >
> > On 30 November 2017 at 14:08, Tim Moritz Hector <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > just a short rectification: We have up to 2 (not 3) appointed seats in
> > the
> > > board. So in total our board consists of 9 members: 7 elected by the
> > > general assembly and 2 appointed.
> > >
> > > I am happy that now, with the appointment of Gabriele and Peter, we
> have
> > > all seats on our board filled.
> > >
> > > Best regards,
> > > Tim

> > <tim-moritz.hector@wikimedia.
> > > de

> taken
> > > Gabriele

> > board.
> > > We
> > > impressive

> > as
> > > German
> years
> > of
> > was
> > lot

> > general
> > > Peter

Cornelius Kibelka
Program and Engagement Coordinator (PEC)
for the Wikimedia Conference

Tel. (030) 219 158 26-0
http://wikimedia.de

http://spenden.wikimedia.de/

Körperschaften I Berlin, Steuernummer 27/029/42207

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Appointment of Gabriele Theren and Peter Dewald to the WMDE Board of Trustees

Liam Wyatt
Thanks Cornelius!
Why am I not surprised that you would have the precise documentation
already prepared :-)

p.s. Sandra: understood. this is what I mean by the legal contexts being
different for how boards are formed but the desire being [approximately]
the same.

wittylama.com
Peace, love & metadata