[Wikimedia-l] Appointment of María Sefidari to Wikimedia Foundation Board

[Wikimedia-l] Appointment of María Sefidari to Wikimedia Foundation Board

Patricio Lorente
Dear all,

I am happy to announce the Board intends to fill the open community Trustee
seat at our meeting this weekend. On Saturday, María Sefidari will accept
an appointment to the Board of Trustees, stepping into the third
community-nominated seat. The appointment will last the remainder of the
two year term, until Wikimania 2017.

Many of you know María. She previously served as a community-selected
Trustee from August 2013 to July 2015. In the most recent 2015 community
elections, she received the next highest support percentage, and highest
number of support votes. She was born and lives in Madrid, Spain, and has
been a contributor to the Wikimedia projects since 2006. She was a founding
member of Spanish Wikipedia's LGBT Wikiproject, Wikimedia España, and
Wikimujeres Grupo de Usuarias. She has also served on the Affiliations and
Individual Engagement Grants committees. María is passionate about the role
of diversity in our strategic efforts to retain and increase editorship,
and improving channels for community participation in Foundation governance
and policymaking.

We consulted with the 2015 Wikimedia Foundation Elections Committee before
deciding how to proceed in identifying a new Trustee. They offered
thoughtful feedback on the possible available options, and we’re grateful
for their considerations. (
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Wikimedia_Foundation_elections_2015
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Wikimedia_Foundation_elections_2015#2015_Foundation_Elections_Committee_thoughts_on_how_to_fill_the_vacancy_in_the_Board_after_the_removal_of_James_Heilman>
)

We are certain many of you are wondering why we decided against holding
another election. We did consider the option, but the disadvantages
outweighed the benefits. The last election was well-attended, and still
quite recent. Holding a new election would take considerable time, and we
have important issues to address in the near future. It was important to us
that the community perspective is fully represented in these conversations,
without delay. We also didn’t want to distract from the affiliate Trustee
selection process, which is coming up soon.

I am excited by the dedication, compassion, and experience María brings to
the Board at a crucial time. We are confident she will serve our mission
with wisdom and grace.

Please join me in congratulating our friend María, and thanking her service
to our movement.

Patricio

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Appointment of María Sefidari to Wikimedia Foundation Board

Richard Symonds-3
Congratulations María! It's good to see you on the board.

Richard Symonds
Wikimedia UK
0207 065 0992

On 29 January 2016 at 15:27, Patricio Lorente <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Dear all,
>

> I am happy to announce the Board intends to fill the open community Trustee
> seat at our meeting this weekend. On Saturday, María Sefidari will accept
> an appointment to the Board of Trustees, stepping into the third
> community-nominated seat. The appointment will last the remainder of the
> two year term, until Wikimania 2017.
>

> Many of you know María. She previously served as a community-selected
> Trustee from August 2013 to July 2015. In the most recent 2015 community
> elections, she received the next highest support percentage, and highest
> number of support votes. She was born and lives in Madrid, Spain, and has
> been a contributor to the Wikimedia projects since 2006. She was a founding
> member of Spanish Wikipedia's LGBT Wikiproject, Wikimedia España, and
> Wikimujeres Grupo de Usuarias. She has also served on the Affiliations and
> Individual Engagement Grants committees. María is passionate about the role
> of diversity in our strategic efforts to retain and increase editorship,
> and improving channels for community participation in Foundation governance
> and policymaking.
>

> We consulted with the 2015 Wikimedia Foundation Elections Committee before
> deciding how to proceed in identifying a new Trustee. They offered
> thoughtful feedback on the possible available options, and we’re grateful
> for their considerations. (
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Wikimedia_Foundation_elections_2015
> <
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Wikimedia_Foundation_elections_2015#2015_Foundation_Elections_Committee_thoughts_on_how_to_fill_the_vacancy_in_the_Board_after_the_removal_of_James_Heilman
> >
> )
>

> We are certain many of you are wondering why we decided against holding
> another election. We did consider the option, but the disadvantages
> outweighed the benefits. The last election was well-attended, and still
> quite recent. Holding a new election would take considerable time, and we
> have important issues to address in the near future. It was important to us
> that the community perspective is fully represented in these conversations,
> without delay. We also didn’t want to distract from the affiliate Trustee
> selection process, which is coming up soon.
>

> I am excited by the dedication, compassion, and experience María brings to
> the Board at a crucial time. We are confident she will serve our mission
> with wisdom and grace.
>

> Please join me in congratulating our friend María, and thanking her service
> to our movement.
>

> Patricio

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Appointment of María Sefidari to Wikimedia Foundation Board

Ziko van Dijk-3
Dear Patricio,

Thank you for the information. I would be interested in an elaboration
of the advantages and disadvantages of a community election, though.

Kind regards
Ziko

> Dear all,
>

> I am happy to announce the Board intends to fill the open community Trustee
> seat at our meeting this weekend. On Saturday, María Sefidari will accept
> an appointment to the Board of Trustees, stepping into the third
> community-nominated seat. The appointment will last the remainder of the
> two year term, until Wikimania 2017.
>

> Many of you know María. She previously served as a community-selected
> Trustee from August 2013 to July 2015. In the most recent 2015 community
> elections, she received the next highest support percentage, and highest
> number of support votes. She was born and lives in Madrid, Spain, and has
> been a contributor to the Wikimedia projects since 2006. She was a founding
> member of Spanish Wikipedia's LGBT Wikiproject, Wikimedia España, and
> Wikimujeres Grupo de Usuarias. She has also served on the Affiliations and
> Individual Engagement Grants committees. María is passionate about the role
> of diversity in our strategic efforts to retain and increase editorship,
> and improving channels for community participation in Foundation governance
> and policymaking.
>

> We consulted with the 2015 Wikimedia Foundation Elections Committee before
> deciding how to proceed in identifying a new Trustee. They offered
> thoughtful feedback on the possible available options, and we’re grateful
> for their considerations. (
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Wikimedia_Foundation_elections_2015
> <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Wikimedia_Foundation_elections_2015#2015_Foundation_Elections_Committee_thoughts_on_how_to_fill_the_vacancy_in_the_Board_after_the_removal_of_James_Heilman>
> )
>

> We are certain many of you are wondering why we decided against holding
> another election. We did consider the option, but the disadvantages
> outweighed the benefits. The last election was well-attended, and still
> quite recent. Holding a new election would take considerable time, and we
> have important issues to address in the near future. It was important to us
> that the community perspective is fully represented in these conversations,
> without delay. We also didn’t want to distract from the affiliate Trustee
> selection process, which is coming up soon.
>

> I am excited by the dedication, compassion, and experience María brings to
> the Board at a crucial time. We are confident she will serve our mission
> with wisdom and grace.
>

> Please join me in congratulating our friend María, and thanking her service
> to our movement.
>

> Patricio

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Appointment of María Sefidari to Wikimedia Foundation Board

Chris Keating-2
Hi Ziko,

The advantages and disadvantages are articulated here, though I have to say
I wasn't aware of it until Patricio posted it just now.

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Wikimedia_Foundation_elections_2015#2015_Foundation_Elections_Committee_thoughts_on_how_to_fill_the_vacancy_in_the_Board_after_the_removal_of_James_Heilman

I would speculate that the Board agreed with the advantages of the course
of action they have taken and felt the disadvantages of it are limited. But
that is only a guess ;)

Personally I think it is the right (and to me very obvious) decision.

Chris

On Fri, Jan 29, 2016 at 3:36 PM, Ziko van Dijk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > quite recent. Holding a new election would take considerable time, and we
> > have important issues to address in the near future. It was important to
> us
> > that the community perspective is fully represented in these
> conversations,
> > without delay. We also didn’t want to distract from the affiliate Trustee
> > selection process, which is coming up soon.
> >

> > I am excited by the dedication, compassion, and experience María brings
> > the Board at a crucial time. We are confident she will serve our mission
> > with wisdom and grace.
> >

> > Please join me in congratulating our friend María, and thanking her
> service
> > to our movement.
> >

> > Patricio

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Appointment of María Sefidari to Wikimedia Foundation Board

Galileo Vidoni
Congratulations, María! I am sure your experience, sensibility and wisdom
will be of great help for the Foundation at this difficult time.

Galileo

On Fri, Jan 29, 2016 at 12:36 PM, Ziko van Dijk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > quite recent. Holding a new election would take considerable time, and we
> > have important issues to address in the near future. It was important to
> us
> > that the community perspective is fully represented in these
> conversations,
> > without delay. We also didn’t want to distract from the affiliate Trustee
> > selection process, which is coming up soon.
> >

> > I am excited by the dedication, compassion, and experience María brings
> > the Board at a crucial time. We are confident she will serve our mission
> > with wisdom and grace.
> >

> > Please join me in congratulating our friend María, and thanking her
> service
> > to our movement.
> >

> > Patricio

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Appointment of María Sefidari to Wikimedia Foundation Board

Salvador A
¡Felicidades María!

Happy to see you again in the Board. Thanks to the BoT and to the 2015
Elections Committee for all the efforts solving this problem. The diversity
inside the Board gets many benefits with this appointment.

I trust you María!

> [...]
> > > another election. We did consider the option, but the disadvantages
> > > outweighed the benefits. The last election was well-attended, and still
> > > quite recent. Holding a new election would take considerable time, and
> we
> > > have important issues to address in the near future. It was important
> > us
> > > that the community perspective is fully represented in these
> > conversations,
> > > without delay. We also didn’t want to distract from the affiliate
> Trustee
> > > selection process, which is coming up soon.
> > >

> > > I am excited by the dedication, compassion, and experience María brings
> > > the Board at a crucial time. We are confident she will serve our
> mission
> > > with wisdom and grace.
> > >

> > > Please join me in congratulating our friend María, and thanking her

*Salvador Alcántar*
*@salvador_alc*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Appointment of María Sefidari to Wikimedia Foundation Board

chandres
Thanks Patricio,

There was many solution to the situation and I personally felt the board choose one of the less bad ;-)

charles

> Le 29 janv. 2016 à 16:27, Patricio Lorente <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> Dear all,
>

> I am happy to announce the Board intends to fill the open community Trustee
> seat at our meeting this weekend. On Saturday, María Sefidari will accept
> an appointment to the Board of Trustees, stepping into the third
> community-nominated seat. The appointment will last the remainder of the
> two year term, until Wikimania 2017.
>

> Many of you know María. She previously served as a community-selected
> Trustee from August 2013 to July 2015. In the most recent 2015 community
> elections, she received the next highest support percentage, and highest
> number of support votes. She was born and lives in Madrid, Spain, and has
> been a contributor to the Wikimedia projects since 2006. She was a founding
> member of Spanish Wikipedia's LGBT Wikiproject, Wikimedia España, and
> Wikimujeres Grupo de Usuarias. She has also served on the Affiliations and
> Individual Engagement Grants committees. María is passionate about the role
> of diversity in our strategic efforts to retain and increase editorship,
> and improving channels for community participation in Foundation governance
> and policymaking.
>

> We consulted with the 2015 Wikimedia Foundation Elections Committee before
> deciding how to proceed in identifying a new Trustee. They offered
> thoughtful feedback on the possible available options, and we’re grateful
> for their considerations. (
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Wikimedia_Foundation_elections_2015
> <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Wikimedia_Foundation_elections_2015#2015_Foundation_Elections_Committee_thoughts_on_how_to_fill_the_vacancy_in_the_Board_after_the_removal_of_James_Heilman>
> )
>

> We are certain many of you are wondering why we decided against holding
> another election. We did consider the option, but the disadvantages
> outweighed the benefits. The last election was well-attended, and still
> quite recent. Holding a new election would take considerable time, and we
> have important issues to address in the near future. It was important to us
> that the community perspective is fully represented in these conversations,
> without delay. We also didn’t want to distract from the affiliate Trustee
> selection process, which is coming up soon.
>

> I am excited by the dedication, compassion, and experience María brings to
> the Board at a crucial time. We are confident she will serve our mission
> with wisdom and grace.
>

> Please join me in congratulating our friend María, and thanking her service
> to our movement.
>

> Patricio

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Appointment of María Sefidari to Wikimedia Foundation Board

Andreas Kolbe-2
Another mistake. A lot has happened over the past few weeks. The community
should have been given a voice, in light of vast changes in circumstances
since last May.

María, too, might have felt better about joining the board with a clear
endorsement from the community – an endorsement given now, rather than last
May. As things stand, her tenure begins under a cloud.

Andreas

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Appointment of María Sefidari to Wikimedia Foundation Board

Ad Huikeshoven
Say welcome to María on
https://discourse.wmflabs.org/t/appointment-of-maria-sefidari-to-wikimedia-foundation-board/32
or just like the post there.

Ad Huikeshoven
Op 29 jan. 2016 16:27 schreef "Patricio Lorente" <[hidden email]
>:

> Dear all,
>

> I am happy to announce the Board intends to fill the open community Trustee
> seat at our meeting this weekend. On Saturday, María Sefidari will accept
> an appointment to the Board of Trustees, stepping into the third
> community-nominated seat. The appointment will last the remainder of the
> two year term, until Wikimania 2017.
>

> Many of you know María. She previously served as a community-selected
> Trustee from August 2013 to July 2015. In the most recent 2015 community
> elections, she received the next highest support percentage, and highest
> number of support votes. She was born and lives in Madrid, Spain, and has
> been a contributor to the Wikimedia projects since 2006. She was a founding
> member of Spanish Wikipedia's LGBT Wikiproject, Wikimedia España, and
> Wikimujeres Grupo de Usuarias. She has also served on the Affiliations and
> Individual Engagement Grants committees. María is passionate about the role
> of diversity in our strategic efforts to retain and increase editorship,
> and improving channels for community participation in Foundation governance
> and policymaking.
>

> We consulted with the 2015 Wikimedia Foundation Elections Committee before
> deciding how to proceed in identifying a new Trustee. They offered
> thoughtful feedback on the possible available options, and we’re grateful
> for their considerations. (
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Wikimedia_Foundation_elections_2015
> <
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Wikimedia_Foundation_elections_2015#2015_Foundation_Elections_Committee_thoughts_on_how_to_fill_the_vacancy_in_the_Board_after_the_removal_of_James_Heilman
> >
> )
>

> We are certain many of you are wondering why we decided against holding
> another election. We did consider the option, but the disadvantages
> outweighed the benefits. The last election was well-attended, and still
> quite recent. Holding a new election would take considerable time, and we
> have important issues to address in the near future. It was important to us
> that the community perspective is fully represented in these conversations,
> without delay. We also didn’t want to distract from the affiliate Trustee
> selection process, which is coming up soon.
>

> I am excited by the dedication, compassion, and experience María brings to
> the Board at a crucial time. We are confident she will serve our mission
> with wisdom and grace.
>

> Please join me in congratulating our friend María, and thanking her service
> to our movement.
>

> Patricio

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Appointment of María Sefidari to Wikimedia Foundation Board

Osmar Valdebenito-3
Congratulations María!
I'm sure that her experience and support from the community (given she had
the most favourable votes in the election a few months ago) will be
important to bring the Board back on track after so many unfortunate
decisions in the past weeks.

> [...]
> > quite recent. Holding a new election would take considerable time, and we
> > have important issues to address in the near future. It was important to
> us
> > that the community perspective is fully represented in these
> conversations,
> > without delay. We also didn’t want to distract from the affiliate Trustee
> > selection process, which is coming up soon.
> >

> > I am excited by the dedication, compassion, and experience María brings
> > the Board at a crucial time. We are confident she will serve our mission
> > with wisdom and grace.
> >

> > Please join me in congratulating our friend María, and thanking her
> service
> > to our movement.
> >

> > Patricio

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Appointment of María Sefidari to Wikimedia Foundation Board

Milos Rancic-2
On Fri, Jan 29, 2016 at 4:51 PM, Andreas Kolbe <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Another mistake. A lot has happened over the past few weeks. The community
> should have been given a voice, in light of vast changes in circumstances
> since last May.
>
> María, too, might have felt better about joining the board with a clear
> endorsement from the community – an endorsement given now, rather than last
> May. As things stand, her tenure begins under a cloud.

If I remember well (not willing to check), Maria got the most of the
votes on the elections (more than any of the elected members), which
means that it's fair that she becomes a Board member.

At the other side, I'd ask Board members to stop making fringe
decisions. Now. Please!

--
Milos

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Appointment of María Sefidari to Wikimedia Foundation Board

Jens Best-2
Patricio writes:

"*we **have important issues to address in the near future.*"

Does that mean:

"So, we don't want to be disturbed by maybe another 'asking the wrong
questions'-guy we again have then to get rid of in the process by "losing
trust in him". We'll better stick to people from who we already know that
they will "function" in the current system"?

> Dear all,
>

> I am happy to announce the Board intends to fill the open community Trustee
> seat at our meeting this weekend. On Saturday, María Sefidari will accept
> an appointment to the Board of Trustees, stepping into the third
> community-nominated seat. The appointment will last the remainder of the
> two year term, until Wikimania 2017.
>

> Many of you know María. She previously served as a community-selected
> Trustee from August 2013 to July 2015. In the most recent 2015 community
> elections, she received the next highest support percentage, and highest
> number of support votes. She was born and lives in Madrid, Spain, and has
> been a contributor to the Wikimedia projects since 2006. She was a founding
> member of Spanish Wikipedia's LGBT Wikiproject, Wikimedia España, and
> Wikimujeres Grupo de Usuarias. She has also served on the Affiliations and
> Individual Engagement Grants committees. María is passionate about the role
> of diversity in our strategic efforts to retain and increase editorship,
> and improving channels for community participation in Foundation governance
> and policymaking.
>

> We consulted with the 2015 Wikimedia Foundation Elections Committee before
> deciding how to proceed in identifying a new Trustee. They offered
> thoughtful feedback on the possible available options, and we’re grateful
> for their considerations. (
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Wikimedia_Foundation_elections_2015
> <
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Wikimedia_Foundation_elections_2015#2015_Foundation_Elections_Committee_thoughts_on_how_to_fill_the_vacancy_in_the_Board_after_the_removal_of_James_Heilman
> >
> )
>

> We are certain many of you are wondering why we decided against holding
> another election. We did consider the option, but the disadvantages
> outweighed the benefits. The last election was well-attended, and still
> quite recent. Holding a new election would take considerable time, and we
> have important issues to address in the near future. It was important to us
> that the community perspective is fully represented in these conversations,
> without delay. We also didn’t want to distract from the affiliate Trustee
> selection process, which is coming up soon.
>

> I am excited by the dedication, compassion, and experience María brings to
> the Board at a crucial time. We are confident she will serve our mission
> with wisdom and grace.
>

> Please join me in congratulating our friend María, and thanking her service
> to our movement.
>

> Patricio

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Appointment of María Sefidari to Wikimedia Foundation Board

Josh Lim
I am happy to see María returning to the Board, though I wish it took place under happier circumstances.  I have confidence in her wisdom and her ability to help steer us out of this mess, though I certainly hope that she’ll be able to commit to whatever it is that James was fighting for while he was on the Board. ¡Felicidades! :)

That said, I do want to point out something that Salvador said in his e-mail:

> The diversity inside the Board gets many benefits with this appointment.

I have significant problems with this statement.  While I appreciate the fact that María represents two of our underrepresented communities (women, sexual minorities), I am doubtful that her return to the Board will suddenly lead to "more diversity", especially when it comes to our communities in the developing world.  We’ve been fighting for more geographic diversity on the Board and in the movement at large with very limited success as it is, so yet another developed world trustee does no favors for us even if I have lots of praise for María otherwise.

Josh

JAMES JOSHUA G. LIM
Bachelor of Arts in Political Science
Class of 2013, Ateneo de Manila University
Quezon City, Metro Manila, Philippines

[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]> | +63 (915) 321-7582
Facebook/Twitter: akiestar | Wikimedia: Sky Harbor
http://about.me/josh.lim <http://about.me/josh.lim>

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Appointment of María Sefidari to Wikimedia Foundation Board

Tanvir Rahman
It's good to have María back, indeed.

Congratulations and welcome back, María!

T.

Tanvir Rahman
Wikitanvir

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Appointment of María Sefidari to Wikimedia Foundation Board

Dariusz Jemielniak-3
On Fri, Jan 29, 2016 at 11:43 AM, Milos Rancic <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If I remember well (not willing to check), Maria got the most of the
> votes on the elections (more than any of the elected members), which
> means that it's fair that she becomes a Board member.

that is correct. Also, if the voting system relied on a net sum (support
votes minus oppose votes) she would have been elected.

dj

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Appointment of María Sefidari to Wikimedia Foundation Board

Yaroslav M. Blanter
On 2016-01-29 17:56, Dariusz Jemielniak wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 29, 2016 at 11:43 AM, Milos Rancic <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> If I remember well (not willing to check), Maria got the most of the
>> votes on the elections (more than any of the elected members), which
>> means that it's fair that she becomes a Board member.
>>

> that is correct. Also, if the voting system relied on a net sum
> (support
> votes minus oppose votes) she would have been elected.
>
> dj

Whereas this is a correct statement, it is irrelevant. The voters voted
knowing that only support votes count. If the system were different,
they could have voted differently.

Cheers
Yaroslav

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Appointment of María Sefidari to Wikimedia Foundation Board

Mardetanha-2
It is good to see her back on board again, Maria Khosh Umadi (welcome back
in Farsi)

Mardetanha

On Fri, Jan 29, 2016 at 8:26 PM, Dariusz Jemielniak <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 29, 2016 at 11:43 AM, Milos Rancic <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > If I remember well (not willing to check), Maria got the most of the
> > votes on the elections (more than any of the elected members), which
> > means that it's fair that she becomes a Board member.
> >

> that is correct. Also, if the voting system relied on a net sum (support
> votes minus oppose votes) she would have been elected.
>
> dj

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Appointment of María Sefidari to Wikimedia Foundation Board

Vi to
Simplest and wisest solution on both short and medium term.

Vito

Il 29/01/2016 16:27, Patricio Lorente ha scritto:

> Dear all,
>

> I am happy to announce the Board intends to fill the open community Trustee
> seat at our meeting this weekend. On Saturday, María Sefidari will accept
> an appointment to the Board of Trustees, stepping into the third
> community-nominated seat. The appointment will last the remainder of the
> two year term, until Wikimania 2017.
>

> Many of you know María. She previously served as a community-selected
> Trustee from August 2013 to July 2015. In the most recent 2015 community
> elections, she received the next highest support percentage, and highest
> number of support votes. She was born and lives in Madrid, Spain, and has
> been a contributor to the Wikimedia projects since 2006. She was a founding
> member of Spanish Wikipedia's LGBT Wikiproject, Wikimedia España, and
> Wikimujeres Grupo de Usuarias. She has also served on the Affiliations and
> Individual Engagement Grants committees. María is passionate about the role
> of diversity in our strategic efforts to retain and increase editorship,
> and improving channels for community participation in Foundation governance
> and policymaking.
>

> We consulted with the 2015 Wikimedia Foundation Elections Committee before
> deciding how to proceed in identifying a new Trustee. They offered
> thoughtful feedback on the possible available options, and we’re grateful
> for their considerations. (
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Wikimedia_Foundation_elections_2015
> <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Wikimedia_Foundation_elections_2015#2015_Foundation_Elections_Committee_thoughts_on_how_to_fill_the_vacancy_in_the_Board_after_the_removal_of_James_Heilman>
> )
>

> We are certain many of you are wondering why we decided against holding
> another election. We did consider the option, but the disadvantages
> outweighed the benefits. The last election was well-attended, and still
> quite recent. Holding a new election would take considerable time, and we
> have important issues to address in the near future. It was important to us
> that the community perspective is fully represented in these conversations,
> without delay. We also didn’t want to distract from the affiliate Trustee
> selection process, which is coming up soon.
>

> I am excited by the dedication, compassion, and experience María brings to
> the Board at a crucial time. We are confident she will serve our mission
> with wisdom and grace.
>

> Please join me in congratulating our friend María, and thanking her service
> to our movement.
>

> Patricio

[Wikimedia-l] Voting formula was Appointment of María Sefidari to Wikimedia Foundation Board

Anders Wennersten-2
Actually the formula used (S/S+O) is from a ranking point identical to
(S-O/S+O) (=(S-O)/(Total-Neutral). And the result would have been
different if the formula (S-O)/Total had been used (Maria would have
been in). So in some ways it was the Neutral votes who decided, or
rather that the formula used disregard the Neutral ones, saw them as
identical to abstain.

A discussion exist on the election pages already and for future election
it is worthwhile to look into how the neutral votes should be taken into
account  (and if there a distinction between abstain and neutral).

Anders

Den 2016-01-29 kl. 18:02, skrev Yaroslav M. Blanter:

> Whereas this is a correct statement, it is irrelevant. The voters
> voted knowing that only support votes count. If the system were
> different, they could have voted differently.
>
> Cheers
> Yaroslav

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Appointment of María Sefidari to Wikimedia Foundation Board

Dariusz Jemielniak-3
On Fri, Jan 29, 2016 at 12:02 PM, Yaroslav M. Blanter <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Whereas this is a correct statement, it is irrelevant. The voters voted
> knowing that only support votes count. If the system were different, they
> could have voted differently.

Sure, and with many alternative systems the results could have been
different. I'm only pointing out that she did have a lot of support by
common sense metrics.

Btw, it is not true that "only support votes count". In our current system
the opposing votes count much more, in fact.

dj