[Wikimedia-l] Appointment of María Sefidari to Wikimedia Foundation Board

[Wikimedia-l] Appointment of María Sefidari to Wikimedia Foundation Board

Tomasz W. Kozlowski-2
Yet another hugely surprising decision from the Board, I’m sorry to say.

Considering the results of the 2015 May Board elections, I think it fair to say that María’s appointment to the Board lacks any community legitimacy whatsoever. As a then-active member of the Board of Trustees, Maria stood in the elections, and lost in a vote that was equal and fair for every candidate. For the Board to now appoint María to fill in the vacancy created upon James’s removal from the Board stands in the face of that clear and unequivocal community decision.

This is particularly worrying given the high number of “oppose” votes that María received during the election — over 200 more than Dariusz, James, Denny and Mike (Taketa) each; indeed, more than any other candidate in the top 10.

What is more, the fact that María was specifically voted down from the Board by the community is a clear signal that the electorate did not want her to continue in that role. To see her return to the Board in a “community-selected” seat is just absurd.

What the Board should have done is organise a by-election. If María wants to be a community-selected Trustee, she should earn the seat. Let her run, and convince the community that the reasons she was not re-elected in May are no longer valid. Let her answer questions openly and transparently, and discuss issues with her rivals – the way that by-elections everywhere are run.

Of course, not organising a by-election avoids these highly unpleasant obligations.

But then, maybe that’s the point.

Tomasz

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Appointment of María Sefidari to Wikimedia Foundation Board

Adam Wight-3
On Fri, Jan 29, 2016 at 6:09 PM Tomasz W. Kozlowski <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Considering the results of the 2015 May Board elections, I think it fair
> to say that María’s appointment to the Board lacks any community legitimacy
> whatsoever.

I have to disagree with this statement.  Please see my analysis of the
election, where I show that Sefidari would have been the top-ranked
candidate if we had counted votes equally.[1]  The "oppose" votes you refer
to are not serving the purpose you imagine they are, of weeding out
controversial candidates.

Yet another hugely surprising decision from the Board, I’m sorry to say.

That's another story... It would be nice to read the minutes of this Board
discussion, to see what alternatives were raised and how they were
evaluated.  It would be even nicer if the broader community had been
directly involved in deciding how to backfill their hatcheted
representative's seat.

-Adam
[[mw:User:Adamw]]

[1] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Adamw/Draft/Board_Election_analysis

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Appointment of María Sefidari to Wikimedia Foundation Board

Todd Allen
So, why not make the best of both worlds?

If you need another Trustee immediately, well...I don't really think that,
you have a quorum without it. And an appointed trustee who lost a community
election is not a community elected trustee. It is insulting to say that
they are. James Heilman was the community trustee, and we still have been
given absolutely no specifics about his removal, just vague handwaves at
"lack of trust". Why, specifically, did he lose your trust? What,
specifically, did he supposedly do wrong?

But if the seat absolutely must be filled, make this an interim appointment
until a new election is complete, and hold such an election as soon as
possible. A new election is necessary, and not having one is unacceptable.
A lot has changed since the last one, and the individual you appointed did
not pass the previous election.

Or in other words: This is still not acceptable.

Todd

On Fri, Jan 29, 2016 at 7:47 PM, Adam Wight <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 29, 2016 at 6:09 PM Tomasz W. Kozlowski <
> [hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Considering the results of the 2015 May Board elections, I think it fair
> > to say that María’s appointment to the Board lacks any community
> legitimacy
> > whatsoever.
>

> I have to disagree with this statement.  Please see my analysis of the
> election, where I show that Sefidari would have been the top-ranked
> candidate if we had counted votes equally.[1]  The "oppose" votes you refer
> to are not serving the purpose you imagine they are, of weeding out
> controversial candidates.
>
> Yet another hugely surprising decision from the Board, I’m sorry to say.
> >

> That's another story... It would be nice to read the minutes of this Board
> discussion, to see what alternatives were raised and how they were
> evaluated.  It would be even nicer if the broader community had been
> directly involved in deciding how to backfill their hatcheted
> representative's seat.
>
> -Adam
> [[mw:User:Adamw]]
>
> [1]
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Adamw/Draft/Board_Election_analysis

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Appointment of María Sefidari to Wikimedia Foundation Board

Anthony Cole
Welcome back Maria. Recent events have shed a much-needed bright light on
the board, and it would have been good to hold a community election in that
light. We do have a limited volunteer capacity to manage elections, though,
and I can understand the desire not to impose too much on volunteer
goodwill. A shame, though. We all might have learned something from the
process.

On Saturday, 30 January 2016, Todd Allen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> So, why not make the best of both worlds?
>
> If you need another Trustee immediately, well...I don't really think that,
> you have a quorum without it. And an appointed trustee who lost a community
> election is not a community elected trustee. It is insulting to say that
> they are. James Heilman was the community trustee, and we still have been
> given absolutely no specifics about his removal, just vague handwaves at
> "lack of trust". Why, specifically, did he lose your trust? What,
> specifically, did he supposedly do wrong?
>
> But if the seat absolutely must be filled, make this an interim appointment
> until a new election is complete, and hold such an election as soon as
> possible. A new election is necessary, and not having one is unacceptable.
> A lot has changed since the last one, and the individual you appointed did
> not pass the previous election.
>
> Or in other words: This is still not acceptable.
>
> Todd
>
> On Fri, Jan 29, 2016 at 7:47 PM, Adam Wight <[hidden email]
> <javascript:;>> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Jan 29, 2016 at 6:09 PM Tomasz W. Kozlowski <
> > [hidden email] <javascript:;>>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Considering the results of the 2015 May Board elections, I think it
> fair
> > > to say that María’s appointment to the Board lacks any community
> > legitimacy
> > > whatsoever.
> >

> > I have to disagree with this statement.  Please see my analysis of the
> > election, where I show that Sefidari would have been the top-ranked
> > candidate if we had counted votes equally.[1]  The "oppose" votes you
> refer
> > to are not serving the purpose you imagine they are, of weeding out
> > controversial candidates.
> >
> > Yet another hugely surprising decision from the Board, I’m sorry to say.
> > >

> > That's another story... It would be nice to read the minutes of this
> Board
> > discussion, to see what alternatives were raised and how they were
> > evaluated.  It would be even nicer if the broader community had been
> > directly involved in deciding how to backfill their hatcheted
> > representative's seat.
> >
> > -Adam
> > [[mw:User:Adamw]]
> >
> > [1]
> > https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Adamw/Draft/Board_Election_analysis

Anthony Cole

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Appointment of María Sefidari to Wikimedia Foundation Board

Nurunnaby Hasive-3
Congratulations Maria!

On Sat, Jan 30, 2016 at 10:14 AM, Anthony Cole <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Welcome back Maria. Recent events have shed a much-needed bright light on
> the board, and it would have been good to hold a community election in that
> light. We do have a limited volunteer capacity to manage elections, though,
> and I can understand the desire not to impose too much on volunteer
> goodwill. A shame, though. We all might have learned something from the
> process.
>
> On Saturday, 30 January 2016, Todd Allen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > So, why not make the best of both worlds?
> >
> > If you need another Trustee immediately, well...I don't really think
> that,
> > you have a quorum without it. And an appointed trustee who lost a
> community
> > election is not a community elected trustee. It is insulting to say that
> > they are. James Heilman was the community trustee, and we still have been
> > given absolutely no specifics about his removal, just vague handwaves at
> > "lack of trust". Why, specifically, did he lose your trust? What,
> > specifically, did he supposedly do wrong?
> >
> > But if the seat absolutely must be filled, make this an interim
> appointment
> > until a new election is complete, and hold such an election as soon as
> > possible. A new election is necessary, and not having one is
> unacceptable.
> > A lot has changed since the last one, and the individual you appointed
> did
> > not pass the previous election.
> >
> > Or in other words: This is still not acceptable.
> >
> > Todd
> >
> > On Fri, Jan 29, 2016 at 7:47 PM, Adam Wight <[hidden email]
> > <javascript:;>> wrote:
> >
> > > On Fri, Jan 29, 2016 at 6:09 PM Tomasz W. Kozlowski <
> > > [hidden email] <javascript:;>>

> > fair
> > > legitimacy
> > >

> > > I have to disagree with this statement.  Please see my analysis of the
> > > election, where I show that Sefidari would have been the top-ranked
> > > candidate if we had counted votes equally.[1]  The "oppose" votes you
> > refer
> > > to are not serving the purpose you imagine they are, of weeding out
> > > controversial candidates.
> > >
> > > Yet another hugely surprising decision from the Board, I’m sorry to
> say.
> > > >

> > > That's another story... It would be nice to read the minutes of this
> > Board
> > > discussion, to see what alternatives were raised and how they were
> > > evaluated.  It would be even nicer if the broader community had been
> > > directly involved in deciding how to backfill their hatcheted
> > > representative's seat.
> > >
> > > -Adam
> > > [[mw:User:Adamw]]
> > >
> > > [1]
> > >
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Adamw/Draft/Board_Election_analysis

> Anthony Cole

*Nurunnaby Chowdhury (Hasive) **:: **নুরুন্নবী চৌধুরী (হাছিব)*

User: Hasive <http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Hasive> |
Administrator | Bengali
Wikipedia <http://bn.wikipedia.org/wiki/user:Hasive>
<http://www.wikimedia.org.bd>
fb.com/Hasive <http://fb.com/NCHasive> | @nhasive
<http://www.twitter.com/nhasive> | Skype: nhasive | www.nhasive.com

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Appointment of María Sefidari to Wikimedia Foundation Board

Subhashish Panigrahi-4
Congratulations and welcome back Maria!

best,
Subha