[Wikimedia-l] Appointment of Raju Narisetti to Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees

[Wikimedia-l] Appointment of Raju Narisetti to Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees

Christophe Henner-3
Hi everyone,

Over the past year, the Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees has been
reviewing and evolving our appointment and onboarding process for new Board
members. While that has resulted in some lingering vacancies, we knew it
was important to update these processes to help maintain a cordial and
productive Board.

The updated appointment process provides the entire board with more
detailed (albeit private) information about each candidate’s background,
public profile, past professional and volunteer work, and ability to
contribute to the Board. The updated onboarding process is meant to help
Board members learn about the processes and expectations of our Board more
quickly to help reduce productivity lost to transitions. Special thanks to
everyone serving on the Board Governance Committee and Nataliia for the
work they have put into these improvements!

I am also incredibly excited to share that these efforts have helped us
identify and appoint an amazing addition to the Wikimedia Foundation Board
of Trustees! At our October meeting, the Board appointed and welcomed Raju
Narisetti to fill one of the vacant expert seats.

Raju is a veteran media executive and journalist and brings a wealth of
communications experience to the board. He is also a veteran of nonprofit
governance and currently serves on the board for the International Center
for Journalists and Institute for International Education. I am confident
he will be a very valuable addition to the board and thrilled that he has
agreed to join us!

We will continue to make improvements to our governance processes, for
example with the learnings from the on-going governance review, and apply
what we have learned to future appointments and filling our remaining
vacancy. Thank you for everyone’s patience as we took a pause and worked on
recruiting the best possible candidates, rather than simply rushing to fill
the seats.

In the meantime, below (and on the Wikimedia Blog) you will find the
official announcement about Raju Narisetti and please join me in warmly
welcoming him to the Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees and to the
Wikimedia movement!

Christophe
Chair, Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees

Raju Narisetti joins Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees

Media veteran brings nearly three decades of global strategic experience in
digital media and audience development to the Wikimedia Foundation Board

Image:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Raju_Narisetti_-_International_Journalism_Festival_2015.JPG

San Francisco, CA, October 16, 2017 — The Wikimedia Foundation today
announced the appointment of Raju Narisetti, a veteran media executive and
journalist, to the Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees.

Raju brings more than 29 years of media experience across three continents.
He is currently CEO of Univision Communications Inc’s Gizmodo Media Group,
the publisher of websites including Gizmodo, Jezebel, Lifehacker and The
Root.

“Raju has dedicated his life’s work to information as a public service. His
commitment to editorial integrity, independence, and inclusion is deeply
aligned with Wikimedia values. His passion and expertise in digital
strategy and international growth will be invaluable to our movement’s
future as we advance our global free knowledge mission,” said Wikimedia
Foundation Executive Director, Katherine Maher.

Prior to joining the Gizmodo Media Group, Raju served as Senior Vice
President, Strategy, at News Corp, one of the largest media companies in
the world and the publisher of The Wall Street Journal and The Times of
London. In that role, Raju was responsible for identifying new digital
growth opportunities globally for News Corp.

“There has never been more urgency in Wikipedia's 16-year history than now,
for upholding the values of free exchange of information and knowledge,”
said Raju. “Despite mounting challenges around the world, rapid innovation
is creating tremendous opportunities for the Wikimedia Foundation. I have
much to learn, but am also looking forward to lending my nearly three
decades of global media experiences to the movement, to help engage more
digital and mobile audiences, particularly diverse young people, and
harness their energy to benefit from—and support—the vital values that
underpin all Wikimedia initiatives.”

Before joining News Corp, Raju spent nearly 25 years as a journalist and
editor. He started at The Economic Times in India before moving to The
Dayton Daily News (Ohio), The Wall Street Journal (WSJ), and The Washington
Post. Starting out as a summer intern at WSJ, he eventually became Editor
of The Wall Street Journal Europe and later Managing Editor of WSJ’s
digital newsrooms. At The Washington Post, he was the Managing Editor who
led the Post’s rethinking of its separate digital and print newsrooms and
operations.

A native of Hyderabad, India, Raju is also the founder of Mint, currently
India’s second-largest daily business newspaper by circulation.

“Raju's extensive international and journalistic experience will add
valuable perspective to the Board as we look to bring new voices from
around the world into our movement. I am impressed by his willingness to
learn about and embrace the values behind the Wikimedia movement, and look
forward to working with him to support our free knowledge mission,” said
Nataliia Tymkiv, Governance Chair for the Board.

Raju is currently the Vice-chair for the Board of Directors of the
International
Center for Journalists
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Center_for_Journalists>, as
well as a member of the Board of Trustees for the Institute of
International Education
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Institute_of_International_Education>, which
administers the Fulbright Scholarship
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fulbright_Scholarship> programmes. He lives
in Brooklyn, New York.

Raju joins eight other Foundation Trustees
<https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Board_of_Trustees> who collectively
bring expertise in the Wikimedia community, financial oversight,
governance, and organizational development; and a commitment to advancing
Wikimedia’s mission of free knowledge for all.

He was approved unanimously by the Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees.
His term is effective October 2017 and will continue for three years.
Please see the Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees
<https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Board_of_Trustees> for complete
biographies.

###

About the Wikimedia Foundation

The Wikimedia Foundation is the non-profit organization that supports and
operates Wikipedia and its sister free knowledge projects. Wikipedia is the
world’s free knowledge resource, spanning more than 45 million articles
across nearly 300 languages. Every month, more than 200,000 people edit
Wikipedia and the Wikimedia projects, collectively creating and improving
knowledge that is accessed by more than 1 billion unique devices every
month. This all makes Wikipedia one of the most popular web properties in
the world. Based in San Francisco, California, the Wikimedia Foundation is
a 501(c)(3) charity that is funded primarily through donations and grants.

Christophe HENNER
Chair of the board of trustees
[hidden email]
+33650664739

twitter *@schiste*        skype *christophe_henner*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Appointment of Raju Narisetti to Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees

Anna Stillwell
Welcome, Raju.
/a

On Mon, Oct 16, 2017 at 11:19 AM, Christophe Henner <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> world’s free knowledge resource, spanning more than 45 million articles
> across nearly 300 languages. Every month, more than 200,000 people edit
> Wikipedia and the Wikimedia projects, collectively creating and improving
> knowledge that is accessed by more than 1 billion unique devices every
> month. This all makes Wikipedia one of the most popular web properties in
> the world. Based in San Francisco, California, the Wikimedia Foundation is
> a 501(c)(3) charity that is funded primarily through donations and grants.
>

> Christophe HENNER
> Chair of the board of trustees
> [hidden email]
> +33650664739
>
> twitter *@schiste*        skype *christophe_henner*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Appointment of Raju Narisetti to Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees

Bishakha Datta
Excellent news!
Bishakha

On 17 Oct 2017 00:11, "Anna Stillwell" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > world’s free knowledge resource, spanning more than 45 million articles
> > across nearly 300 languages. Every month, more than 200,000 people edit
> > Wikipedia and the Wikimedia projects, collectively creating and improving
> > knowledge that is accessed by more than 1 billion unique devices every
> > month. This all makes Wikipedia one of the most popular web properties in
> > the world. Based in San Francisco, California, the Wikimedia Foundation
> is
> > a 501(c)(3) charity that is funded primarily through donations and
> grants.
> >

> > Christophe HENNER
> > Chair of the board of trustees
> > [hidden email]
> > +33650664739
> >
> > twitter *@schiste*        skype *christophe_henner*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Appointment of Raju Narisetti to Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees

Katherine Maher
Thank you, Christophe, for sharing this wonderful news.

I have had the opportunity to get to know Raju during this appointments
process, and am very excited that he is joining our Wikimedia family as a
Foundation Trustee. It is clear to me that his values are closely aligned
with those of our movement, and that he brings wisdom and expertise
attained throughout his varied professional experiences. As Executive
Director, I have the distinct pleasure of working closely with our Board,
and I share Christophe's confidence that Raju will make an excellent
addition.

Raju, welcome and thank you for joining one of the world's largest
volunteer movements, and generously offering your time, talent, and wisdom
to the advancement of our mission. I look forward to working with and
learning from you in the years to come.

Katherine

On Mon, Oct 16, 2017 at 3:18 PM, Bishakha Datta <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> > >
> > > About the Wikimedia Foundation
> > >
> > > The Wikimedia Foundation is the non-profit organization that supports
> and
> > > operates Wikipedia and its sister free knowledge projects. Wikipedia is
> > the
> > > world’s free knowledge resource, spanning more than 45 million articles
> > > across nearly 300 languages. Every month, more than 200,000 people edit
> > > Wikipedia and the Wikimedia projects, collectively creating and
> improving
> > > knowledge that is accessed by more than 1 billion unique devices every
> > > month. This all makes Wikipedia one of the most popular web properties
> in
> > > the world. Based in San Francisco, California, the Wikimedia Foundation
> > is
> > > a 501(c)(3) charity that is funded primarily through donations and

Executive Director

*We moved! **Our new address:*

Wikimedia Foundation
1 Montgomery Street, Suite 1600
San Francisco, CA 94104

+1 (415) 839-6885 ext. 6635
+1 (415) 712 4873
[hidden email]
https://annual.wikimedia.org

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Appointment of Raju Narisetti to Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees

Victoria Coleman
Raju welcome! You bring much expertise & wisdom to us!

Victoria

> [...]
>> as
>>> lives

>>> collectively
>> advancing

>>> Trustees.

>> and
>>> the
>> improving
>> in
>>> is
>>> grants.

> Katherine Maher
> Executive Director
>
> *We moved! **Our new address:*
>
> Wikimedia Foundation
> 1 Montgomery Street, Suite 1600
> San Francisco, CA 94104
>
> +1 (415) 839-6885 ext. 6635
> +1 (415) 712 4873
> [hidden email]
> https://annual.wikimedia.org

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Appointment of Raju Narisetti to Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees

Lodewijk
Welcome to the movement, Raju!

Your profile seems, with my limited understanding of the current
functioning of the board, a valuable complement to the current board. I
hope that you feel able and encouraged to also share your wisdom directly
with the community.
While some of us can be a little more direct and harsh than is appreciated
by many, there is usually a large (quiet) majority that appreciates to hear
from its board members, especially when they have unique perspectives to
bring to the table. Engage early, engage often - and like we say in the
Netherlands: barking dogs don't bite.

Warmly,
Lodewijk Gelauff

On Mon, Oct 16, 2017 at 2:52 PM, Victoria Coleman <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> >> currently

> >> said

> >> as

> >> advancing

> >> and
> is
> articles
> edit
> >> improving
> >> in
> Foundation

> > Katherine Maher
> > Executive Director
> >
> > *We moved! **Our new address:*
> >
> > Wikimedia Foundation
> > 1 Montgomery Street, Suite 1600
> > San Francisco, CA 94104
> >
> > +1 (415) 839-6885 ext. 6635
> > +1 (415) 712 4873
> > [hidden email]
> > https://annual.wikimedia.org

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Appointment of Raju Narisetti to Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees

Biyanto Rebin
Welcome to Wikimedia movements, Raju!

Best regards from Indonesia,

> [...]
> <https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Board_of_Trustees> for complete
> biographies.
>
> ###
>
> About the Wikimedia Foundation
>
> The Wikimedia Foundation is the non-profit organization that supports and
> operates Wikipedia and its sister free knowledge projects. Wikipedia is the
> world’s free knowledge resource, spanning more than 45 million articles
> across nearly 300 languages. Every month, more than 200,000 people edit
> Wikipedia and the Wikimedia projects, collectively creating and improving
> knowledge that is accessed by more than 1 billion unique devices every
> month. This all makes Wikipedia one of the most popular web properties in
> the world. Based in San Francisco, California, the Wikimedia Foundation is
> a 501(c)(3) charity that is funded primarily through donations and grants.

Biyanto Rebin | Ketua Umum (*Chair*) 2016-2018
Wikimedia Indonesia
Surel: [hidden email]
~~~~

Dukung upaya kami membebaskan pengetahuan:
http://wikimedia.or.id/wiki/Wikimedia_Indonesia:Donasi

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Appointment of Raju Narisetti to Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees

James Alexander-4
Welcome Raju!

*James Alexander*
Manager, Trust & Safety
Wikimedia Foundation

On Mon, Oct 16, 2017 at 9:27 PM, Biyanto Rebin <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > month. This all makes Wikipedia one of the most popular web properties in
> > the world. Based in San Francisco, California, the Wikimedia Foundation
> is
> > a 501(c)(3) charity that is funded primarily through donations and
> grants.
> >

> > Christophe HENNER
> > Chair of the board of trustees
> > [hidden email]
> > +33650664739
> >
> > twitter *@schiste*        skype *christophe_henner*

> Biyanto Rebin | Ketua Umum (*Chair*) 2016-2018
> Wikimedia Indonesia
> Surel: [hidden email]
> ~~~~
>
> Dukung upaya kami membebaskan pengetahuan:
> http://wikimedia.or.id/wiki/Wikimedia_Indonesia:Donasi

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Appointment of Raju Narisetti to Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees

Subhashish Panigrahi
Welcome Raju!

I could only see you from far during the recent ONA 17 but missed the
opportunity to meet and say hi.

The Wikimedia community has a lot to gain from your long journalistic
experience. Look forward to getting your advice for our communities.

Love,
Subhashish
Odia Wikimedians User Group

On Tue, Oct 17, 2017 at 10:35 AM, James Alexander <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> > > month. This all makes Wikipedia one of the most popular web properties
> in
> > > the world. Based in San Francisco, California, the Wikimedia Foundation
> > is
> > > a 501(c)(3) charity that is funded primarily through donations and
> > grants.
> > >

> > > Christophe HENNER
> > > Chair of the board of trustees
> > > [hidden email]
> > > +33650664739
> > >
> > > twitter *@schiste*        skype *christophe_henner*

> > Biyanto Rebin | Ketua Umum (*Chair*) 2016-2018
> > Wikimedia Indonesia
> > Surel: [hidden email]
> > ~~~~
> >
> > Dukung upaya kami membebaskan pengetahuan:
> > http://wikimedia.or.id/wiki/Wikimedia_Indonesia:Donasi

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Appointment of Raju Narisetti to Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees

Fæ
Could we keep the announcements list for announcements as per its limited
scope please? [1]

If someone could recommend an on-wiki page or email for Raju Narisetti,
this may be useful for those who wish to send personal congratulations or
thank you notes.

In light of the recent discussion of strictly limiting numbers of posts to
Wikimedia-l, limits on relatively content free thankspam might be a useful
idea, even if these are seen as keeping the political tone super-duper
positive.

Links
1. https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Wikimedia_Announce

Thanks,
Fae

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/LGBT+
http://telegram.me/wmlgbt

On 16 Oct 2017 7:41 p.m., "Anna Stillwell" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > world’s free knowledge resource, spanning more than 45 million articles
> > across nearly 300 languages. Every month, more than 200,000 people edit
> > Wikipedia and the Wikimedia projects, collectively creating and improving
> > knowledge that is accessed by more than 1 billion unique devices every
> > month. This all makes Wikipedia one of the most popular web properties in
> > the world. Based in San Francisco, California, the Wikimedia Foundation
> is
> > a 501(c)(3) charity that is funded primarily through donations and
> grants.
> >

> > Christophe HENNER
> > Chair of the board of trustees
> > [hidden email]
> > +33650664739
> >
> > twitter *@schiste*        skype *christophe_henner*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Appointment of Raju Narisetti to Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees

Nurunnaby Chowdhury (Hasive)
Congratulations & Welcome Raju!

As journalist its really too good news for me! Hope Wikimedia community gain
from your long journalistic
experience
​.

Hasive
WMBD​

On Tue, Oct 17, 2017 at 12:03 PM, Fæ <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > >
> > > About the Wikimedia Foundation
> > >
> > > The Wikimedia Foundation is the non-profit organization that supports
> and
> > > operates Wikipedia and its sister free knowledge projects. Wikipedia is
> > the
> > > world’s free knowledge resource, spanning more than 45 million articles
> > > across nearly 300 languages. Every month, more than 200,000 people edit
> > > Wikipedia and the Wikimedia projects, collectively creating and
> improving
> > > knowledge that is accessed by more than 1 billion unique devices every
> > > month. This all makes Wikipedia one of the most popular web properties
> in
> > > the world. Based in San Francisco, California, the Wikimedia Foundation
> > is
> > > a 501(c)(3) charity that is funded primarily through donations and

*Nurunnaby Chowdhury (Hasive) **:: **নুরুন্নবী চৌধুরী (হাছিব)*
User: Hasive <http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Hasive> |
GSM/WhatsApp/Viber: +8801712754752

Administrator | Bengali Wikipedia <http://bn.wikipedia.org/wiki/user:Hasive>
Board Member | Wikimedia Bangladesh <http://www.wikimedia.org.bd/>