[Wikimedia-l] April 7: Update on Wikimedia movement strategy process (#12)

[Wikimedia-l] April 7: Update on Wikimedia movement strategy process (#12)

Katherine Maher
Hi all!

I apologize that we have not had a formal update the last couple of weeks —
with Wikimedia Conference, the associated Board meeting, and our regular
annual planning, I dropped the ball. The good news is that — as you have
probably seen and heard — a lot of discussions are taking place!

This week, I’m experimenting with a different type of update: now that the
conversations have launched, I will be sharing fewer bullet points about
the process, and more paragraphs about the overall work that is going on
around the movement. As more conversations happen, I hope future updates
will continue to be substantive, sharing key themes and discussions as we
see them emerge.

Last week, more than 350 Wikimedia community leaders from 70 countries and
many different stakeholder groups converged on Berlin, during the annual
meeting of movement affiliates, the Wikimedia Conference. This year,
leaders from movement affiliates were joined by an additional 200 leaders
from across the Wikimedia movement to participate in a program track
focused on movement strategy. In addition to participating in some
in-person discussions about our shared future direction, volunteers also
discussed ways to help spread this effort across their activities and
groups.

You may be wondering — where are the minutes from our meetings in Berlin?
Great question. Unusually for our community, the Berlin strategy track was
almost entirely analog, with markers and paper and sticky notes. The
facilitation team is in the process of digitalizing all of these materials,
from session notes to summaries and final statements. You can keep an eye
(or watch) on the Sources page[1] to keep track as additional materials are
posted - and jump in to respond and discuss as appropriate!

The discussions in Berlin are just one of the many ways people across the
movement have been able to engage in the strategy process since my last
update. Approximately 50 volunteers and groups are helping coordinate
discussions and several on-wiki discussions are already underway. This
cycle (the first of three) will run until April 15th, so there’s still a
week to share your thoughts - please do!

All of these are opportunities for you to contribute your thoughts on the
question, "What do we want to build or achieve together over the next 15
years?" For example, if you think we should go to deep space (after all,
we've gone to the Moon[2]), tell us more! Have a quick thought you want to
contribute? We want to hear it! Check out the participation page on
Meta-Wiki's movement strategy portal for more information on where and how
you can engage in this global conversation:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/?curid=10152617

As conversations continue, we are busy following along. Summaries of the
on-wiki discussions are being posted on Meta-Wiki,[3] along notes from 64
recent discussions (and counting!)[1] We are thrilled to see the many
different ways and places our community are finding to have this important
discussion about our future. As key themes emerge across communities, I
hope to share them here.

About communications: recently, Nicole provided an overview of the progress
and plans for Track A during our monthly activities and metrics meeting.[4]
We are also working on a blog post announcing the official start of the
movement strategy process. In addition to these communications, we’ll keep
updating these weekly updates. We appreciate all the positive and
constructive feedback we have received on these updates so far, and invite
you to send us more on-wiki.[5] As we know, the more communications about
what is going on, the better.

Thank you for your continued engagement in this process. I have to confess
that while I’ve been excited about these conversations, I wasn’t fully
certain how everything would go once we launched. There is a big difference
between having a lot of notes on a whiteboard, and actually starting a
free-wheeling, global, multilingual community conversation with such a wide
and diverse group of people. Three weeks into the launch of the first
discussion, I’m genuinely humbled by what everyone is bringing to the
conversation. This community is brilliant, our vision is inspiring, our
challenges are great (and exciting), and we have so much opportunity ahead.
I’m grateful to be able to work alongside you.

Schönes Wochenende! (German translation: “Have a good weekend!”)

Cheers,
Katherine

PS. A version of this message is available for translation on Meta-Wiki.[6]

[1] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2017/Sources
[2] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_to_the_Moon
[3]
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2017/Sources/Summary_14th_to_28th
[4]
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_metrics_and_activities_meetings/2017-03
[5]
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2017/Updates

[6]
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2017/Updates/7_April_2017_-_Update_12_on_Wikimedia_movement_strategy_process

--
Katherine Maher

Wikimedia Foundation
149 New Montgomery Street
San Francisco, CA 94105

+1 (415) 839-6885 ext. 6635
+1 (415) 712 4873

Re: [Wikimedia-l] April 7: Update on Wikimedia movement strategy process (#12)

John Erling Blad
Are there any pages where the stakeholder groups are listed? And are the
stakeholder groups actively involved in the governance of the development
projects?

John