[Wikimedia-l] ArticlePlaceholder now live on first 4 Wikipedias

[Wikimedia-l] ArticlePlaceholder now live on first 4 Wikipedias

Lydia Pintscher
Hi everyone :)

Last year Lucie started working on the ArticlePlaceholder (
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:ArticlePlaceholder) in order to
fullfill Wikidata's promise of supporting especially the smaller
Wikipedias. Today we have rolled it out on the first 4 Wikipedias:
Esperanto, Haitian Creole, Neapolitan and Odia. When someone searches for a
topic where no local article exists but Wikidata has data we will show an
ArticlePlaceholder with this information and encourage the reader to create
an article. I hope this will help these Wikipedias by offering their
readers more content and by turning more of them into active editors.

In order for the feature to work well we need labels for items and
properties in these languages on Wikidata. A lot exist already but if you
want to help out you can find items and properties that need labels in
these languages at https://tools.wmflabs.org/wikidata-terminator and
https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Special:ListProperties.

What we rolled out today as usual is a first version. Based on the feedback
from those 4 Wikipedias we will expand and improve it. One of the next
things we will do is add the option to translate an article from another
language if it exists using the Content Translation tool and fix known
bugs. Things we know are still broken or need work:
* language fallbacks in the properties are not working so you will see a
lot of P1234 and so on until a label is added on Wikidata in that language
* long identifiers break out of the identifier box on the right side and
don't look good
* right now you only get an ArticlePlaceholder in the search results when
Wikidata has at least 3 links to other Wikimedia projects and 3 statements.
We might need to tweak this number still based on feedback from the first
Wikipedias. We limit this in order to not encourage readers to create an
article that will be deleted right after they created it because it isn't
notable.

Here are some example pages:
* Odia:
https://or.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E0%AC%AC%E0%AC%BF%E0%AC%B6%E0%AD%87%E0%AC%B7:AboutTopic?entityid=Q131074
* Napolitan:
https://nap.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speci%C3%A0le:AboutTopic?entityid=Q2613697
* Esperanto:
https://eo.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speciala%C4%B5o:AboutTopic?entityid=Q12345
* Haitian Creole:
https://ht.wikipedia.org/wiki/Espesyal:AboutTopic?entityid=Q12345

I'm really excited about making true on one of Wikidata's biggest promises.

Cheers
Lydia
Product Manager for Wikidata

Wikimedia Deutschland e.V.
Tempelhofer Ufer 23-24
10963 Berlin
www.wikimedia.de

der Nummer 23855 Nz. Als gemeinnützig anerkannt durch das Finanzamt für

Re: [Wikimedia-l] ArticlePlaceholder now live on first 4 Wikipedias

Biyanto Rebin
Yeay,

Goodluck for Wikidata Team. Looking forward for Indonesian regional
language version :)

> [...]
> * Napolitan:
> https://nap.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speci%C3%A0le:AboutTopic?entityid=Q2613697
> * Esperanto:
> https://eo.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speciala%C4%B5o:AboutTopic?entityid=Q12345
> * Haitian Creole:
> https://ht.wikipedia.org/wiki/Espesyal:AboutTopic?entityid=Q12345
>
> I'm really excited about making true on one of Wikidata's biggest promises.
>
> Cheers
> Lydia
> --
> Lydia Pintscher - http://about.me/lydia.pintscher
> Product Manager for Wikidata
>
> Wikimedia Deutschland e.V.
> Tempelhofer Ufer 23-24
> 10963 Berlin
> www.wikimedia.de

> der Nummer 23855 Nz. Als gemeinnützig anerkannt durch das Finanzamt für

Biyanto Rebin | Ketua Umum (*Chair*) 2016-2018
Wikimedia Indonesia
Nomor Ponsel: +62 8989 037379
Surel: [hidden email]
~~~~

Dukung upaya kami membebaskan pengetahuan:
http://wikimedia.or.id/wiki/Wikimedia_Indonesia:Donasi

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikidata] ArticlePlaceholder now live on first 4 Wikipedias

Quim Gil-2
On Wed, May 11, 2016 at 9:48 PM, Lydia Pintscher <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Last year Lucie started working on the ArticlePlaceholder (
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:ArticlePlaceholder) in order to
> fullfill Wikidata's promise of supporting especially the smaller
> Wikipedias. Today we have rolled it out on the first 4 Wikipedias:
> Esperanto, Haitian Creole, Neapolitan and Odia.

This is a success story in so many ways! Congratulations Lucie, Wikidata
team, Wikimedia Deutschland.

--
Quim Gil
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Qgil

On Thu, May 12, 2016 at 1:38 PM Jo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Lucie,
>
> Thank you for implementing this. I have some more suggestions.
>
> When I go to this article:
>
> https://eo.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speciala%C4%B5o:AboutTopic?entityid=Q22393235
>
> I can't go back the Wikidata entry.
> I also can't jump to this article from the Wikidata entry on wikidata.org.
> And I'm not made aware of these placeholder articles in 4 extra languages
> on the Swedish and Cebuano Wikipedias.

Thanks. That is useful feedback. We'll take that into account.

> This also doesn't work:
> https://eo.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kabanga_insulo
>
> But that would have been very surprising if it had. Still, how does one
> 'land' on these placeholder articles?

Right now you get there via Special:AboutTopic. Lucie is currently working
on fixing the search bug and then you will get there via search again.
Should be done in the next hours.

> The only way I found was by adding the q-number after this url:
> https://eo.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speciala%C4%B5o:AboutTopic?entityid=
>
> But that's not very straightforward/intuitive.

Agreed ;-)

Cheers
Lydia
Product Manager for Wikidata

Wikimedia Deutschland e.V.
Tempelhofer Ufer 23-24
10963 Berlin
www.wikimedia.de

der Nummer 23855 Nz. Als gemeinnützig anerkannt durch das Finanzamt für

Re: [Wikimedia-l] ArticlePlaceholder now live on first 4 Wikipedias

Richard Symonds-3
Fantastic work!

Richard Symonds
Wikimedia UK
0207 065 0992

On 12 May 2016 at 06:45, Biyanto Rebin <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> > Product Manager for Wikidata
> >
> > Wikimedia Deutschland e.V.
> > Tempelhofer Ufer 23-24
> > 10963 Berlin
> > www.wikimedia.de
> >
> > Wikimedia Deutschland - Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens e. V.
> >
> > Eingetragen im Vereinsregister des Amtsgerichts Berlin-Charlottenburg
> unter
> > der Nummer 23855 Nz. Als gemeinnützig anerkannt durch das Finanzamt für
> > Körperschaften I Berlin, Steuernummer 27/029/42207.

> Biyanto Rebin | Ketua Umum (*Chair*) 2016-2018
> Wikimedia Indonesia
> Nomor Ponsel: +62 8989 037379
> Surel: [hidden email]
> ~~~~
>
> Dukung upaya kami membebaskan pengetahuan:
> http://wikimedia.or.id/wiki/Wikimedia_Indonesia:Donasi

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikidata] ArticlePlaceholder now live on first 4 Wikipedias

On Thu, May 12, 2016 at 4:35 PM Lydia Pintscher <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Right now you get there via Special:AboutTopic. Lucie is currently working
> on fixing the search bug and then you will get there via search again.
> Should be done in the next hours.

Ok search integration should be fixed now.

Cheers
Lydia
Product Manager for Wikidata

Wikimedia Deutschland e.V.
Tempelhofer Ufer 23-24
10963 Berlin
www.wikimedia.de

der Nummer 23855 Nz. Als gemeinnützig anerkannt durch das Finanzamt für

Re: [Wikimedia-l] ArticlePlaceholder now live on first 4 Wikipedias

Brill Lyle
This is a tool that will be really useful to the AfroCROWD initiative that
Alice Backer leads (cc'd, as well as Pharos) -- especially for the Haitian
Creole community.

I'm hoping AfroCROWD and WM NYC can support an intensive translatathon
focusing on Wikidata, and really take advantage of this great resource.

Wonderful work!

- Erika

*Erika Herzog*
Wikipedia *User:BrillLyle* <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:BrillLyle>
Secretary, Wikimedia NYC
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Meetup/NYC>

On Wed, May 11, 2016 at 3:48 PM, Lydia Pintscher <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> https://nap.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speci%C3%A0le:AboutTopic?entityid=Q2613697
> * Esperanto:
> https://eo.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speciala%C4%B5o:AboutTopic?entityid=Q12345
> * Haitian Creole:
> https://ht.wikipedia.org/wiki/Espesyal:AboutTopic?entityid=Q12345
>
> I'm really excited about making true on one of Wikidata's biggest promises.
>
> Cheers
> Lydia
> --
> Lydia Pintscher - http://about.me/lydia.pintscher
> Product Manager for Wikidata
>
> Wikimedia Deutschland e.V.
> Tempelhofer Ufer 23-24
> 10963 Berlin
> www.wikimedia.de

> der Nummer 23855 Nz. Als gemeinnützig anerkannt durch das Finanzamt für

Re: [Wikimedia-l] ArticlePlaceholder now live on first 4 Wikipedias

Alice Backer
We have a Kreyòl language translatathon in the works. Focus is unclear at
this point and will depend a lot on our Haitian Creolist partners and their
needs.

A L I C E   B A C K E R
Founder, Afrocrowd |
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Meetup/NYC/AfroCrowd> Vice
President, Wikimedia NYC  <https://nyc.wikimedia.org/wiki/Home>
Haitian Blog Aggregator: http://haitianbloggers.com
Blog & LOF1804 Podcast: http://www.kiskeacity.com
<http://www.kiskeacity.com>Twitter: @kiskeacity
<http://twitter.com/kiskeacity> <http://twitter.com/kiskeacity>
skype: alicebacker

On Fri, May 13, 2016 at 7:54 PM Alice Backer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We have a Kreyòl language translatathon in the works. Focus is unclear at
> this point and will depend a lot on our Haitian Creolist partners and their
> needs.

If there is anything we can help with from the Wikidata side please let me
know.