[Wikimedia-l] Attribution of external content

[Wikimedia-l] Attribution of external content

John Erling Blad
In some cases we need to attribute content created on external sites, and
reused on Wikimedia-sites. In Norway Åndsverksloven says "The creator has
the right to be named according to good practice" ("Opphavsmannen har krav
på å bli navngitt slik som god skikk tilsier") and for our content that is
given by our license and our terms of use. That means by a link to the page
if possible, or if possible an entry in the history.

Now we use a template on the page itself, or similar, but it is not the
page on our site that the external entity has provided, they have provided
the content at their site. So we must say that in some consistent way.

I believe that the best option would be to have a log entry injected into
the history for our page that says "this revision comes in full or part
from that external source". Such an entry could be made by the editor or by
an administrator, but must be made as an extension of the revision. It
should also be possible to delete such an entry.

An alternative could be to make the summary editable, but the summary is
the description of the revision, not the source of the revision.

Does this make sense? Will it solve the problem, or is it just another
level that makes things more confusing?

John Erling Blad

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Attribution of external content

Gnangarra
There is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:CC-notice on en at least
specifically for the purpose of incorporating text licensed cc-by content
within articles

On 27 August 2017 at 21:28, John Erling Blad <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In some cases we need to attribute content created on external sites, and
> reused on Wikimedia-sites. In Norway Åndsverksloven says "The creator has
> the right to be named according to good practice" ("Opphavsmannen har krav
> på å bli navngitt slik som god skikk tilsier") and for our content that is
> given by our license and our terms of use. That means by a link to the page
> if possible, or if possible an entry in the history.
>
> Now we use a template on the page itself, or similar, but it is not the
> page on our site that the external entity has provided, they have provided
> the content at their site. So we must say that in some consistent way.
>
> I believe that the best option would be to have a log entry injected into
> the history for our page that says "this revision comes in full or part
> from that external source". Such an entry could be made by the editor or by
> an administrator, but must be made as an extension of the revision. It
> should also be possible to delete such an entry.
>
> An alternative could be to make the summary editable, but the summary is
> the description of the revision, not the source of the revision.
>
> Does this make sense? Will it solve the problem, or is it just another
> level that makes things more confusing?
>
> John Erling Blad

GN.
President Wikimedia Australia

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Attribution of external content

John Erling Blad
Use of a template does not accurately identify the copied text, and in this
case nor the author.

The license is the contract with the author and the reason why the text can
be copied. If the license says the author shall be identified, the by
attribution clause, then a link to the site is not good enough. If the
share alike clause is given, then it is even harder to give correct credit,
as the request for credit can be pretty weird.

Anyhow, a page that is later edited is not necessarily something the
external editor has created, he or she has created a part that at some
point in time was incorporated in the page, and the present page may not
even contain this content anymore.

On Sun, Aug 27, 2017 at 4:03 PM, Gnangarra <[hidden email]> wrote:

> There is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:CC-notice on en at least
> specifically for the purpose of incorporating text licensed cc-by content
> within articles
>
> On 27 August 2017 at 21:28, John Erling Blad <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > In some cases we need to attribute content created on external sites, and
> > reused on Wikimedia-sites. In Norway Åndsverksloven says "The creator has
> > the right to be named according to good practice" ("Opphavsmannen har
> krav
> > på å bli navngitt slik som god skikk tilsier") and for our content that
> is
> > given by our license and our terms of use. That means by a link to the
> page
> > if possible, or if possible an entry in the history.
> >
> > Now we use a template on the page itself, or similar, but it is not the
> > page on our site that the external entity has provided, they have
> provided
> > the content at their site. So we must say that in some consistent way.
> >
> > I believe that the best option would be to have a log entry injected into
> > the history for our page that says "this revision comes in full or part
> > from that external source". Such an entry could be made by the editor or
> by
> > an administrator, but must be made as an extension of the revision. It
> > should also be possible to delete such an entry.
> >
> > An alternative could be to make the summary editable, but the summary is
> > the description of the revision, not the source of the revision.
> >
> > Does this make sense? Will it solve the problem, or is it just another
> > level that makes things more confusing?
> >
> > John Erling Blad

> GN.
> President Wikimedia Australia

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Attribution of external content

Gnangarra
that notice states that text has been used, a specific citation where the
text would add context by using https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Refn

On 27 August 2017 at 22:22, John Erling Blad <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > > from that external source". Such an entry could be made by the editor
> or
> > by
> > > an administrator, but must be made as an extension of the revision. It
> > > should also be possible to delete such an entry.
> > >
> > > An alternative could be to make the summary editable, but the summary
> is
> > > the description of the revision, not the source of the revision.
> > >
> > > Does this make sense? Will it solve the problem, or is it just another
> > > level that makes things more confusing?
> > >
> > > John Erling Blad

> > GN.
> > President Wikimedia Australia
> > WMAU: http://www.wikimedia.org.au/wiki/User:Gnangarra
> > Photo Gallery: http://gnangarra.redbubble.com

GN.
President Wikimedia Australia

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Attribution of external content

Citation and reuse is two different things.

On Sun, Aug 27, 2017 at 4:31 PM, Gnangarra <[hidden email]> wrote:

> that notice states that text has been used, a specific citation where the
> text would add context by using https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
> Template:Refn
>
> On 27 August 2017 at 22:22, John Erling Blad <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Use of a template does not accurately identify the copied text, and in
> this
> > case nor the author.
> >
> > The license is the contract with the author and the reason why the text
> can
> > be copied. If the license says the author shall be identified, the by
> > attribution clause, then a link to the site is not good enough. If the
> > share alike clause is given, then it is even harder to give correct
> credit,
> > as the request for credit can be pretty weird.
> >
> > Anyhow, a page that is later edited is not necessarily something the
> > external editor has created, he or she has created a part that at some
> > point in time was incorporated in the page, and the present page may not
> > even contain this content anymore.
> >
> > On Sun, Aug 27, 2017 at 4:03 PM, Gnangarra <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > There is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:CC-notice on en at
> least
> > > specifically for the purpose of incorporating text licensed cc-by
> content
> > > within articles

> > and
> > has
> > > krav
> that
> > > is
> the
> > > page

> the
> > > provided
> way.

> > into
> part
> > or
> > > by
> It

> > is

> another

> > > --
> > > GN.
> > > President Wikimedia Australia
> > > WMAU: http://www.wikimedia.org.au/wiki/User:Gnangarra
> > > Photo Gallery: http://gnangarra.redbubble.com

> GN.
> President Wikimedia Australia

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Attribution of external content

Gnangarra
but the information is exactly the same, url, date, author, title - the
refn template can include anything you need to add including license detail
ie cc-by all of which can be internal or external links

On 28 August 2017 at 00:26, John Erling Blad <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Citation and reuse is two different things.
>
> On Sun, Aug 27, 2017 at 4:31 PM, Gnangarra <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > that notice states that text has been used, a specific citation where the
> > text would add context by using https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
> > Template:Refn
> >
> > On 27 August 2017 at 22:22, John Erling Blad <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Use of a template does not accurately identify the copied text, and in
> > this
> > > case nor the author.
> > >
> > > The license is the contract with the author and the reason why the text
> > can
> > > be copied. If the license says the author shall be identified, the by
> > > attribution clause, then a link to the site is not good enough. If the
> > > share alike clause is given, then it is even harder to give correct
> > credit,
> > > as the request for credit can be pretty weird.
> > >
> > > Anyhow, a page that is later edited is not necessarily something the
> > > external editor has created, he or she has created a part that at some
> > > point in time was incorporated in the page, and the present page may
> not
> > > even contain this content anymore.

> > least
> > content

> sites,
> > > and
> creator
> > > has
> har
> > that
> > the

> > the
> > way.

> injected
> > > into
> > part
> editor
> > > or
> > It

> summary
> > > is

> > another

> unsubscribe>

> > GN.
> > President Wikimedia Australia
> > WMAU: http://www.wikimedia.org.au/wiki/User:Gnangarra
> > Photo Gallery: http://gnangarra.redbubble.com

GN.
President Wikimedia Australia

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Attribution of external content

Rich Farmbrough
We have a number of source specific templates, such  as {{EB1911}} for
acknowledging re-used source material.  There is as yet no automatic
 mechanism for changing these as and when the actual copying is replaced
entirely.

On 28 Aug 2017 01:18, "Gnangarra" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> but the information is exactly the same, url, date, author, title - the
> refn template can include anything you need to add including license detail
> ie cc-by all of which can be internal or external links
>
> On 28 August 2017 at 00:26, John Erling Blad <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Citation and reuse is two different things.
> >
> > On Sun, Aug 27, 2017 at 4:31 PM, Gnangarra <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > that notice states that text has been used, a specific citation where
> the
> > > text would add context by using https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
> > > Template:Refn

> in
> > > this

> text
> > > can
> the
> > > credit,

> some
> > not

> > > least
> > > content

> > sites,
> > creator
> > har
> content
> > > that
> > > the

> not
> > > the
> > > way.

> > injected
> or
> > > part
> > editor
> revision.
> > > It

> > summary

> > > another

> > unsubscribe>

> unsubscribe>
> > > >

> > > --
> > > GN.
> > > President Wikimedia Australia
> > > WMAU: http://www.wikimedia.org.au/wiki/User:Gnangarra
> > > Photo Gallery: http://gnangarra.redbubble.com

> GN.
> President Wikimedia Australia

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Attribution of external content

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
With all due respect. These templates are probably English Wikipedia only.
Consequently they are not available on a Wikimedia level.
Thanks,
      GerardM

On 29 August 2017 at 13:39, Richard Farmbrough <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> We have a number of source specific templates, such  as {{EB1911}} for
> acknowledging re-used source material.  There is as yet no automatic
>  mechanism for changing these as and when the actual copying is replaced
> entirely.
>
> On 28 Aug 2017 01:18, "Gnangarra" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > but the information is exactly the same, url, date, author, title - the
> > refn template can include anything you need to add including license
> detail
> > ie cc-by all of which can be internal or external links
> >
> > On 28 August 2017 at 00:26, John Erling Blad <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Citation and reuse is two different things.

> > the

> > in

> > text
> by
> > the

> the
> > some
> may
> > > not

> at

> > > sites,
> > > creator
> ("Opphavsmannen
> > > har
> > content

> > not
> have
> consistent

> > > injected
> > or
> > > editor
> > revision.

> > > summary
> revision.

> > > unsubscribe>

> > unsubscribe>
> unsubscribe>

> > GN.
> > President Wikimedia Australia
> > WMAU: http://www.wikimedia.org.au/wiki/User:Gnangarra
> > Photo Gallery: http://gnangarra.redbubble.com

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Attribution of external content

Gnangarra
Kaya

With all due respect if there are potential solutions already created then
it doent matter which project or what language they are on they can be
adapted and translated as necessary, even made global

On 29 August 2017 at 19:53, Gerard Meijssen <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hoi,
> With all due respect. These templates are probably English Wikipedia only.
> Consequently they are not available on a Wikimedia level.
> Thanks,
>       GerardM
>
> On 29 August 2017 at 13:39, Richard Farmbrough <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > We have a number of source specific templates, such  as {{EB1911}} for
> > acknowledging re-used source material.  There is as yet no automatic
> >  mechanism for changing these as and when the actual copying is replaced
> > entirely.
> >
> > On 28 Aug 2017 01:18, "Gnangarra" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > but the information is exactly the same, url, date, author, title - the
> > > refn template can include anything you need to add including license
> > detail
> > > ie cc-by all of which can be internal or external links

> where
> > > the

> and
> > > in

> the
> > > text
> the
> > by
> If
> > > the
> correct

> > the
> > > some
> > may

> en
> > at
> cc-by

> external
> > ("Opphavsmannen
> > > content
> link

> is
> > > not
> > have
> > consistent

> full
> > > or
> the
> > > revision.

> > revision.

> just

> > > unsubscribe>
> > unsubscribe>

> unsubscribe>

> > > --
> > > GN.
> > > President Wikimedia Australia
> > > WMAU: http://www.wikimedia.org.au/wiki/User:Gnangarra
> > > Photo Gallery: http://gnangarra.redbubble.com

GN.
President Wikimedia Australia

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Attribution of external content

John Erling Blad
Stright from the Norwegian Åndsverksloven

§ 3. The author is entitled to be named as good practice, as well as on
copies of the intellectual property as when made available to the public.

Good practice on Wikipedia is a reference in the page history.