[Wikimedia-l] August 2018 "Community Metrics and Activities Meeting"

[Wikimedia-l] August 2018 "Community Metrics and Activities Meeting"

Pine W
I am attempting this one more time, with more advance notice and some
alterations to the agenda.

Here is a Doodle poll with options for scheduling:
https://doodle.com/poll/iycrgia2wqune63g.

I have created a page on Meta where people who want to include an agenda
item can do so:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Community_Metrics_and_Activities_Meeting

This is an experiment. I hope that a meeting like this can facilitate and
nurture international connections, and I hope that people will be
interested enough to participate.

The meeting platform will be Zoom <https://www.zoom.us/>.

Regards,

Pine

Re: [Wikimedia-l] August 2018 "Community Metrics and Activities Meeting"

Pine W
Hi all,

The number of people who have participated in the Doodle poll is very low.
Before I give up on the idea of having a community metrics and activities
meeting, would anyone like to make a suggestion about how a meeting like
this could be more interesting or useful?

Pine

On Tue, Jul 31, 2018 at 3:11 AM, Pine W <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am attempting this one more time, with more advance notice and some
> alterations to the agenda.
>
> Here is a Doodle poll with options for scheduling:
> https://doodle.com/poll/iycrgia2wqune63g.
>
> I have created a page on Meta where people who want to include an agenda
> item can do so: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Community_Metrics_and_
> Activities_Meeting
>
> This is an experiment. I hope that a meeting like this can facilitate and
> nurture international connections, and I hope that people will be
> interested enough to participate.
>
> The meeting platform will be Zoom <https://www.zoom.us/>.
>
> Regards,
>
> Pine

Re: [Wikimedia-l] August 2018 "Community Metrics and Activities Meeting"

Pine W
Hi all,

Given the lack of interest and lack of suggestions, I'm going to cancel the
meeting. However, if other people would like to be bold in organizing a
meeting like this, they are welcome to do so.

I would like to encourage interpersonal and social connections among
good-faith Wikimedia content contributors and grassroots project
organizers, and I'd be glad to see suggestions and initiatives which do
this.

Pine

On Fri, Aug 3, 2018 at 8:36 PM, Pine W <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> The number of people who have participated in the Doodle poll is very low.
> Before I give up on the idea of having a community metrics and activities
> meeting, would anyone like to make a suggestion about how a meeting like
> this could be more interesting or useful?
>
> Pine
>

> On Tue, Jul 31, 2018 at 3:11 AM, Pine W <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I am attempting this one more time, with more advance notice and some
>> alterations to the agenda.
>>
>> Here is a Doodle poll with options for scheduling:
>> https://doodle.com/poll/iycrgia2wqune63g.
>>
>> I have created a page on Meta where people who want to include an agenda
>> item can do so: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wik
>> i/Community_Metrics_and_Activities_Meeting
>>
>> This is an experiment. I hope that a meeting like this can facilitate and
>> nurture international connections, and I hope that people will be
>> interested enough to participate.
>>
>> The meeting platform will be Zoom <https://www.zoom.us/>.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Pine
>> ( https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Pine )

Re: [Wikimedia-l] August 2018 "Community Metrics and Activities Meeting"

rupert THURNER-2
pine, i find the lack of feedback a pity, so let me give at least my
personal impression. "activities and metrics" sounded bureaucratic, and it
sounded like work, not rewarding. the opposite of fun. not sure if a
regular meetup would work better? a hangout? same time all the time. no
matter how many persons are there, maybe once a month? one would need to
think a little about the fun though.

On Sun, Aug 5, 2018 at 11:09 PM, Pine W <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Given the lack of interest and lack of suggestions, I'm going to cancel the
> meeting. However, if other people would like to be bold in organizing a
> meeting like this, they are welcome to do so.
>
> I would like to encourage interpersonal and social connections among
> good-faith Wikimedia content contributors and grassroots project
> organizers, and I'd be glad to see suggestions and initiatives which do
> this.
>
> Pine
>
> On Fri, Aug 3, 2018 at 8:36 PM, Pine W <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > The number of people who have participated in the Doodle poll is very
> low.
> > Before I give up on the idea of having a community metrics and activities
> > meeting, would anyone like to make a suggestion about how a meeting like
> > this could be more interesting or useful?
> >
> > Pine
> > ( https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Pine )
> >

> > On Tue, Jul 31, 2018 at 3:11 AM, Pine W <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> I am attempting this one more time, with more advance notice and some
> >> alterations to the agenda.
> >>
> >> Here is a Doodle poll with options for scheduling:
> >> https://doodle.com/poll/iycrgia2wqune63g.
> >>
> >> I have created a page on Meta where people who want to include an agenda
> >> item can do so: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wik
> >> i/Community_Metrics_and_Activities_Meeting
> >>
> >> This is an experiment. I hope that a meeting like this can facilitate
> and
> >> nurture international connections, and I hope that people will be
> >> interested enough to participate.
> >>
> >> The meeting platform will be Zoom <https://www.zoom.us/>.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] August 2018 "Community Metrics and Activities Meeting"

Richard Ames
I think Rupert has a point.....   I would consider getting up at 5AM for a
general conversation but not to be bored.

More loose, fun would be good.   I can't do the end of this month - will be
travelling.

Cheers, Richard.

On Monday, 6 August 2018, rupert THURNER <[hidden email]> wrote:

> pine, i find the lack of feedback a pity, so let me give at least my
> personal impression. "activities and metrics" sounded bureaucratic, and it
> sounded like work, not rewarding. the opposite of fun. not sure if a
> regular meetup would work better? a hangout? same time all the time. no
> matter how many persons are there, maybe once a month? one would need to
> think a little about the fun though.
>
> On Sun, Aug 5, 2018 at 11:09 PM, Pine W <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Given the lack of interest and lack of suggestions, I'm going to cancel
> the
> > meeting. However, if other people would like to be bold in organizing a
> > meeting like this, they are welcome to do so.
> >
> > I would like to encourage interpersonal and social connections among
> > good-faith Wikimedia content contributors and grassroots project
> > organizers, and I'd be glad to see suggestions and initiatives which do
> > this.
> >
> > Pine
> > ( https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Pine )
> >
> > On Fri, Aug 3, 2018 at 8:36 PM, Pine W <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > The number of people who have participated in the Doodle poll is very
> > low.
> > > Before I give up on the idea of having a community metrics and
> activities
> > > meeting, would anyone like to make a suggestion about how a meeting
> like
> > > this could be more interesting or useful?
> > >
> > > Pine
> > > ( https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Pine )

> agenda

> > and

Re: [Wikimedia-l] August 2018 "Community Metrics and Activities Meeting"

Pine W
Thanks for the input. I had been thinking of this as a meeting where useful communications and discussions would happen, but maybe going in the opposite direction would have more appeal. I could simply host a casual meetup on Zoom an hour before the WMF metrics meeting. There would be no agenda, and the environment would be like a coffee house. People could talk about whatever Wikimedia-related subjects are on their minds. Does that sound like it would be of interest?

Pine
  Meeting"
I think Rupert has a point.....   I would consider getting up at 5AM for a
general conversation but not to be bored.

More loose, fun would be good.   I can't do the end of this month - will be
travelling.

Cheers, Richard.

On Monday, 6 August 2018, rupert THURNER <[hidden email]> wrote:

> pine, i find the lack of feedback a pity, so let me give at least my
> personal impression. "activities and metrics" sounded bureaucratic, and it
> sounded like work, not rewarding. the opposite of fun. not sure if a
> regular meetup would work better? a hangout? same time all the time. no
> matter how many persons are there, maybe once a month? one would need to
> think a little about the fun though.
>
> On Sun, Aug 5, 2018 at 11:09 PM, Pine W <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Given the lack of interest and lack of suggestions, I'm going to cancel
> the
> > meeting. However, if other people would like to be bold in organizing a
> > meeting like this, they are welcome to do so.
> >
> > I would like to encourage interpersonal and social connections among
> > good-faith Wikimedia content contributors and grassroots project
> > organizers, and I'd be glad to see suggestions and initiatives which do
> > this.
> >
> > Pine
> > ( https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Pine )
> >
> > On Fri, Aug 3, 2018 at 8:36 PM, Pine W <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > The number of people who have participated in the Doodle poll is very
> > low.
> > > Before I give up on the idea of having a community metrics and
> activities
> > > meeting, would anyone like to make a suggestion about how a meeting
> like
> > > this could be more interesting or useful?
> > >
> > > Pine
> > > ( https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Pine )

> agenda

> > and

Re: [Wikimedia-l] August 2018 "Community Metrics and Activities Meeting"

Joseph Fox
That does sound like a pretty cool idea. :)

Joe