[Wikimedia-l] Austin Hair is gone

Asaf Bartov
Dear Wikimedians,

I regret to have to inform this list that veteran Wikimedian and longtime
volunteer administrator of this mailing list, Austin Hair (User:Austin
Hair), has died, after prolonged health complications.

If you knew him, a good place to leave condolences is his talk page:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Austin_Hair#Condolences

Life is short. Be kind to one another.

    Asaf

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Austin Hair is gone

Isaac Olatunde
Very sad news. May his gentle soul rest in perfect peace.

Regards,

Isaac

On Dec 18, 2017 2:51 PM, "Asaf Bartov" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear Wikimedians,
>
> I regret to have to inform this list that veteran Wikimedian and longtime
> volunteer administrator of this mailing list, Austin Hair (User:Austin
> Hair), has died, after prolonged health complications.
>
> If you knew him, a good place to leave condolences is his talk page:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Austin_Hair#Condolences
>
> Life is short. Be kind to one another.
>
>     Asaf

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Austin Hair is gone

Philippe Beaudette-4
A tremendous loss to the movement and the world. I count myself lucky to
have known him. My thoughts are with all you grieve.

Philippe

On Dec 18, 2017 5:52 AM, "Asaf Bartov" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear Wikimedians,
>
> I regret to have to inform this list that veteran Wikimedian and longtime
> volunteer administrator of this mailing list, Austin Hair (User:Austin
> Hair), has died, after prolonged health complications.
>
> If you knew him, a good place to leave condolences is his talk page:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Austin_Hair#Condolences
>
> Life is short. Be kind to one another.
>
>     Asaf

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Austin Hair is gone

Andy Mabbett-2
On 18 December 2017 at 13:51, Asaf Bartov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I regret to have to inform this list that veteran Wikimedian and longtime
> volunteer administrator of this mailing list, Austin Hair (User:Austin
> Hair), has died, after prolonged health complications.

Though I didn't know Austin, I'm sad to hear this; condolences to all
those who did know him

Please will someone write something suitable at:

   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Deceased_Wikipedians

and can an admin protect his user page?

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Austin Hair is gone

Leigh Thelmadatter
I didnt know him well, just on Facebook and reputation... but whoa! Will put my condolences up

________________________________
On 18 December 2017 at 13:51, Asaf Bartov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I regret to have to inform this list that veteran Wikimedian and longtime
> volunteer administrator of this mailing list, Austin Hair (User:Austin
> Hair), has died, after prolonged health complications.

Though I didn't know Austin, I'm sad to hear this; condolences to all
those who did know him

Please will someone write something suitable at:

   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Deceased_Wikipedians

and can an admin protect his user page?

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing
http://pigsonthewing.org.uk

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Austin Hair is gone

Swapnil Karambelkar
Sorry to hear that ,my condolence on behalf of Hindi wikipedia.
Feeing sad.

On 18 Dec 2017 7:21 pm, "Asaf Bartov" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear Wikimedians,
>
> I regret to have to inform this list that veteran Wikimedian and longtime
> volunteer administrator of this mailing list, Austin Hair (User:Austin
> Hair), has died, after prolonged health complications.
>
> If you knew him, a good place to leave condolences is his talk page:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Austin_Hair#Condolences
>
> Life is short. Be kind to one another.
>
>     Asaf

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Austin Hair is gone

phoebe ayers-3
Thanks Asaf.

On Mon, Dec 18, 2017 at 11:17 AM, Andy Mabbett <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Please will someone write something suitable at:
>
>    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Deceased_Wikipedians

I would be glad to work on this over the next few days, with others who
knew and worked with him.
---

Thank you Asaf for sending this.

Austin was a very dear friend of mine. We met in 2005 at the first
Wikimania in Frankfurt, along with many (now) old-timers. Austin was quiet,
kind, good at programming, and a Wikipedian through and through as Lodewijk
wrote elsewhere -- fond of politics and facts. We ended up working together
on Wikimania 2006 and then for several conference editions after that. I
remember late nights printing badges in Cambridge, Taiwan, Poland...

He also served on the chapters committee and then Affcom (2006-2012) and
was chair of that committee. He was administrator of this mailing list for
a very long time (and believe me, had seen every argument under the sun).
Before that, he was an IRC administrator. He worked on various versions of
meta strategy projects, and there are doubtless many other things I'm
forgetting.

His family lives in Texas; his friends are everywhere. He will be missed a
great deal.

We'll be collecting photos and memories for his family. If you have stories
or anecdotes to share, please add them to the meta page, and if you have
photos there's a commons category here:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Austin_Hair

Hugs to all,
Phoebe

--
* I use this address for lists; send personal messages to phoebe.ayers <at>
gmail.com *

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Austin Hair is gone

Ting Chen-2
I am very shocked and deeply saddened. He is still very young. I believe
he is 10 years or more younger than me. This is indeed a very sad loss.

:'(

Ting

Am 18.12.2017 um 14:51 schrieb Asaf Bartov:

> Dear Wikimedians,
>
> I regret to have to inform this list that veteran Wikimedian and longtime
> volunteer administrator of this mailing list, Austin Hair (User:Austin
> Hair), has died, after prolonged health complications.
>
> If you knew him, a good place to leave condolences is his talk page:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Austin_Hair#Condolences
>
> Life is short. Be kind to one another.
>
>      Asaf

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Austin Hair is gone

Shlomi Fish
On Mon, 18 Dec 2017 15:51:30 +0200
Asaf Bartov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear Wikimedians,
>
> I regret to have to inform this list that veteran Wikimedian and longtime
> volunteer administrator of this mailing list, Austin Hair (User:Austin
> Hair), has died, after prolonged health complications.
>
> If you knew him, a good place to leave condolences is his talk page:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Austin_Hair#Condolences
>
> Life is short. Be kind to one another.

sorry to hear that.

>     Asaf

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Austin Hair is gone

Lodewijk
Hi all,

the family has indicated an interest in memories that we could collect. If
you would like to share a memory for such collection, I would encourage you
to share it here: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Austin/Memorial .

For many of us Wikimedians, our families have only a slight idea what it is
that we do, in all those hours we spend on this free knowledge stuff.
Bringing together some memories may help bridge that gap.

Warmly,
Lodewijk

On Mon, Dec 18, 2017 at 3:30 PM, Shlomi Fish <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Dec 2017 15:51:30 +0200
> Asaf Bartov <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Dear Wikimedians,
> >
> > I regret to have to inform this list that veteran Wikimedian and longtime
> > volunteer administrator of this mailing list, Austin Hair (User:Austin
> > Hair), has died, after prolonged health complications.
> >
> > If you knew him, a good place to leave condolences is his talk page:
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Austin_Hair#Condolences
> >
> > Life is short. Be kind to one another.
> >

> sorry to hear that.
>
> >     Asaf

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Austin Hair is gone

Shabab Mustafa
A significant loss to the community. My condolences.

On Dec 19, 2017 1:22 PM, "Lodewijk" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> the family has indicated an interest in memories that we could collect. If
> you would like to share a memory for such collection, I would encourage you
> to share it here: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Austin/Memorial .
>
> For many of us Wikimedians, our families have only a slight idea what it is
> that we do, in all those hours we spend on this free knowledge stuff.
> Bringing together some memories may help bridge that gap.
>
> Warmly,
> Lodewijk
>
> On Mon, Dec 18, 2017 at 3:30 PM, Shlomi Fish <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 18 Dec 2017 15:51:30 +0200
> > Asaf Bartov <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Dear Wikimedians,
> > >
> > > I regret to have to inform this list that veteran Wikimedian and
> longtime
> > > volunteer administrator of this mailing list, Austin Hair (User:Austin
> > > Hair), has died, after prolonged health complications.
> > >
> > > If you knew him, a good place to leave condolences is his talk page:
> > > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Austin_Hair#Condolences
> > >
> > > Life is short. Be kind to one another.
> > >

> > sorry to hear that.
> >
> > >     Asaf

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Austin Hair is gone

Moheen Reeyad
Condolences.

Something suitable has been added at:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Deceased_Wikipedians

On Tue, Dec 19, 2017 at 10:34 PM, Shabab Mustafa <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> A significant loss to the community. My condolences.
>
> On Dec 19, 2017 1:22 PM, "Lodewijk" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > the family has indicated an interest in memories that we could collect.
> If
> > you would like to share a memory for such collection, I would encourage
> you
> > to share it here: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Austin/Memorial .
> >
> > For many of us Wikimedians, our families have only a slight idea what it
> is
> > that we do, in all those hours we spend on this free knowledge stuff.
> > Bringing together some memories may help bridge that gap.
> >
> > Warmly,
> > Lodewijk
> >
> > On Mon, Dec 18, 2017 at 3:30 PM, Shlomi Fish <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:

> > longtime
> (User:Austin

> > > sorry to hear that.

> > > --

*Moheen Reeyad*Author, Editor, Internet activist.
@moheenreeyad <https://twitter.com/moheenreeyad> | moheenreeyad.xyz

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Austin Hair is gone

Nurunnaby Hasive-3
Sad to know. Condolences.

Hasive

On Mon, Dec 18, 2017 at 8:02 PM, Isaac Olatunde <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Very sad news. May his gentle soul rest in perfect peace.
>
> Regards,
>
> Isaac
>
> On Dec 18, 2017 2:51 PM, "Asaf Bartov" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Dear Wikimedians,
> >
> > I regret to have to inform this list that veteran Wikimedian and longtime
> > volunteer administrator of this mailing list, Austin Hair (User:Austin
> > Hair), has died, after prolonged health complications.
> >
> > If you knew him, a good place to leave condolences is his talk page:
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Austin_Hair#Condolences
> >
> > Life is short. Be kind to one another.
> >
> >     Asaf

*Nurunnaby Chowdhury (Hasive) **:: **নুরুন্নবী চৌধুরী (হাছিব)*
User: Hasive <http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Hasive> |
GSM/WhatsApp/Viber: +8801712754752

Administrator | Bengali Wikipedia <http://bn.wikipedia.org/wiki/user:Hasive>
Board Member | Wikimedia Bangladesh <http://www.wikimedia.org.bd/>
fb.com/Hasive <http://fb.com/NCHasive> | @nhasive
<http://www.twitter.com/nhasive> | www.nhasive.com

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Austin Hair is gone

Sam Oyeyele
This is quite sad. Life is indeed short. May his soul rest in perfect peace! :(

Sam.