[Wikimedia-l] Automatic citation lookup now supports ISBNs, thanks to OCLC

[Wikimedia-l] Automatic citation lookup now supports ISBNs, thanks to OCLC

James Forrester-4
Hey all,

I'm delighted to announce here that you can now use ISBNs to add
automatically-generated citations to Wikipedia. This is thanks to a
partnership with OCLC, a global non-profit library cooperative, whose
WorldCat database of books is the largest in the world.

One of the editing features for which we've had the most praise is the tool
to generate citations. This tool, started back in 2014, allows you to type
in a URL, DOI, or PMCID and have it suggest a filled-in citation. Making it
quicker and easier for new and existing editors alike to do the right thing
is a key part of our work.

However, Wikimedians love our books, and the most-requested feature was to
add to this the most common identifier for books, ISBNs. I know that a few
wikis built their own custom gadgets to do this, but I felt that we should
provide a proper, reliable tool that works on mobile as well as desktop
platforms, for all users and in all languages.

Over the past while, we agreed a partnership with OCLC to provide this data
for editors to use, to make referencing stronger and clearer for our
readers around the world. Identifiers for books will help them find further
information on topics that catch their interest, using our long-standing
BookSources tool and OCLC's WorldCat database.

This is now live on all wikis which have Citoid set up. If your wiki
doesn't have it, we'd love to help your community out – ask on the talk page
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Talk:Citoid/Enabling_Citoid_on_your_wiki>.
You can read more in the blog post
<https://blog.wikimedia.org/2017/05/11/wikimedia-oclc-partnership/>, and of
course I'd love for you to try it out on a wiki that's configured with it
near you.

My very big thanks to OCLC, in particularly Merrilee Proffitt, and to my
colleagues at the Wikimedia Foundation, particularly Marielle Volz, Marko
Obrovac, and Jake Orlowitz, for making this possible.

Yours,
--

James D. Forrester
Lead Product Manager, Editing
jforrester at wikimedia.org
@jdforrester

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Automatic citation lookup now supports ISBNs, thanks to OCLC

Andy Cruz y Corro
Does this mean I won't have to be relying on Yadkard so much? Hooray!

On Thu, May 11, 2017 at 3:41 PM, James Forrester <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> I'm delighted to announce here that you can now use ISBNs to add
> automatically-generated citations to Wikipedia. This is thanks to a
> partnership with OCLC, a global non-profit library cooperative, whose
> WorldCat database of books is the largest in the world.
>
> One of the editing features for which we've had the most praise is the tool
> to generate citations. This tool, started back in 2014, allows you to type
> in a URL, DOI, or PMCID and have it suggest a filled-in citation. Making it
> quicker and easier for new and existing editors alike to do the right thing
> is a key part of our work.
>
> However, Wikimedians love our books, and the most-requested feature was to
> add to this the most common identifier for books, ISBNs. I know that a few
> wikis built their own custom gadgets to do this, but I felt that we should
> provide a proper, reliable tool that works on mobile as well as desktop
> platforms, for all users and in all languages.
>
> Over the past while, we agreed a partnership with OCLC to provide this data
> for editors to use, to make referencing stronger and clearer for our
> readers around the world. Identifiers for books will help them find further
> information on topics that catch their interest, using our long-standing
> BookSources tool and OCLC's WorldCat database.
>
> This is now live on all wikis which have Citoid set up. If your wiki
> doesn't have it, we'd love to help your community out – ask on the talk
> page
> <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Talk:Citoid/Enabling_Citoid_on_your_wiki>.
> You can read more in the blog post
> <https://blog.wikimedia.org/2017/05/11/wikimedia-oclc-partnership/>, and
> of
> course I'd love for you to try it out on a wiki that's configured with it
> near you.
>
> My very big thanks to OCLC, in particularly Merrilee Proffitt, and to my
> colleagues at the Wikimedia Foundation, particularly Marielle Volz, Marko
> Obrovac, and Jake Orlowitz, for making this possible.
>
> Yours,
> --
>
> James D. Forrester
> Lead Product Manager, Editing
> Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.
> jforrester at wikimedia.org

<https://about.me/andycyca?promo=email_sig&utm_source=product&utm_medium=email_sig&utm_campaign=gmail_api>
Andrés C y C
about.me/andycyca
<https://about.me/andycyca?promo=email_sig&utm_source=product&utm_medium=email_sig&utm_campaign=gmail_api>

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Automatic citation lookup now supports ISBNs, thanks to OCLC

jmh649
Excellent to see. This complements nicely the RefToolbar on EN WP.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:RefToolbar

Will this lead to improvements in that tool? RefToolbar has trouble pulling
the year of publication based on the ISBN.

Best

On Thu, May 11, 2017 at 2:56 PM, Andy Cruz y Corro <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> > of
> > course I'd love for you to try it out on a wiki that's configured with it
> > near you.
> >
> > My very big thanks to OCLC, in particularly Merrilee Proffitt, and to my
> > colleagues at the Wikimedia Foundation, particularly Marielle Volz, Marko
> > Obrovac, and Jake Orlowitz, for making this possible.
> >
> > Yours,
> > --
> >
> > James D. Forrester
> > Lead Product Manager, Editing
> > Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.
> > jforrester at wikimedia.org

> <https://about.me/andycyca?promo=email_sig&utm_source=
> product&utm_medium=email_sig&utm_campaign=gmail_api>
> Andrés C y C
> about.me/andycyca
> <https://about.me/andycyca?promo=email_sig&utm_source=
> product&utm_medium=email_sig&utm_campaign=gmail_api>

James Heilman
MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian

The Wikipedia Open Textbook of Medicine

On Thu, 11 May 2017 at 14:32 James Heilman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Excellent to see.

Absolutely.

> This complements nicely the RefToolbar on EN WP.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:RefToolbar
>
> Will this lead to improvements in that tool? RefToolbar has trouble pulling
> the year of publication based on the ISBN.

Possibly, but not from the Wikimedia Foundation.

Gadgets are, by design, community-written and community-supported. The
English Wikipedia community has a large number of technical experts who
might help out in improving, or replacing, that gadget for the 2010-era
wikitext editor. Most other wikis have no internal technical support; it's
important that we ensure that we give help to those communities.

J.

jforrester at wikimedia.org
@jdforrester

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Automatic citation lookup now supports ISBNs, thanks to OCLC

jmh649
Making gadgets working better globally got 1st place on the 2016 community
wishlist done by the community tech team.

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/2016_Community_Wishlist_Survey/Results

So many of us within the movement also agree helping communities with less
or no tech support is key.

James

On Thu, May 11, 2017 at 3:40 PM, James Forrester <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On Thu, 11 May 2017 at 14:32 James Heilman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Excellent to see.
>

> Absolutely.
>

> > This complements nicely the RefToolbar on EN WP.
> >
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:RefToolbar
> >
> > Will this lead to improvements in that tool? RefToolbar has trouble
> pulling
> > the year of publication based on the ISBN.
> >

> Possibly, but not from the Wikimedia Foundation.
>
> Gadgets are, by design, community-written and community-supported. The
> English Wikipedia community has a large number of technical experts who
> might help out in improving, or replacing, that gadget for the 2010-era
> wikitext editor. Most other wikis have no internal technical support; it's
> important that we ensure that we give help to those communities.
>
> J.
> --
>
> James D. Forrester
> Lead Product Manager, Editing
> Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.
>

> jforrester at wikimedia.org

James Heilman
MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian

The Wikipedia Open Textbook of Medicine

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Automatic citation lookup now supports ISBNs, thanks to OCLC

Dario Taraborelli-3
Big milestone, folks, congrats to everyone involved and Marielle in
particular.

On Thu, May 11, 2017 at 1:41 PM, James Forrester <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> I'm delighted to announce here that you can now use ISBNs to add
> automatically-generated citations to Wikipedia. This is thanks to a
> partnership with OCLC, a global non-profit library cooperative, whose
> WorldCat database of books is the largest in the world.
>
> One of the editing features for which we've had the most praise is the tool
> to generate citations. This tool, started back in 2014, allows you to type
> in a URL, DOI, or PMCID and have it suggest a filled-in citation. Making it
> quicker and easier for new and existing editors alike to do the right thing
> is a key part of our work.
>
> However, Wikimedians love our books, and the most-requested feature was to
> add to this the most common identifier for books, ISBNs. I know that a few
> wikis built their own custom gadgets to do this, but I felt that we should
> provide a proper, reliable tool that works on mobile as well as desktop
> platforms, for all users and in all languages.
>
> Over the past while, we agreed a partnership with OCLC to provide this data
> for editors to use, to make referencing stronger and clearer for our
> readers around the world. Identifiers for books will help them find further
> information on topics that catch their interest, using our long-standing
> BookSources tool and OCLC's WorldCat database.
>
> This is now live on all wikis which have Citoid set up. If your wiki
> doesn't have it, we'd love to help your community out – ask on the talk
> page
> <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Talk:Citoid/Enabling_Citoid_on_your_wiki>.
> You can read more in the blog post
> <https://blog.wikimedia.org/2017/05/11/wikimedia-oclc-partnership/>, and
> of
> course I'd love for you to try it out on a wiki that's configured with it
> near you.
>
> My very big thanks to OCLC, in particularly Merrilee Proffitt, and to my
> colleagues at the Wikimedia Foundation, particularly Marielle Volz, Marko
> Obrovac, and Jake Orlowitz, for making this possible.
>
> Yours,
> --
>
> James D. Forrester
> Lead Product Manager, Editing
> Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.
> jforrester at wikimedia.org

*Dario Taraborelli  *Director, Head of Research, Wikimedia Foundation
wikimediafoundation.org • nitens.org • @readermeter
<http://twitter.com/readermeter>

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Automatic citation lookup now supports ISBNs, thanks to OCLC

Chris Keating-2
This is a pretty feature-tastic week from WMF. First the new recent changes
filters, now this  :)