[Wikimedia-l] Awareness of Wikipedia and its usage patterns in Israel

[Wikimedia-l] Awareness of Wikipedia and its usage patterns in Israel

Michal Lester
Several months ago, Wikimedia Israel conducted a survey on attitudes of the
Israeli public towards Wikipedia. 751 respondents, which provides
arepresentative
sample of the population of Israel, responded to the questionnaire.We paid
particular attention to the fact that the sample included a representation
of young people and the Arabic-speaking population in Israel.

According to the findings, 84 percent of the respondents said they rely on
the online encyclopedia for information, and 60% said they visit the
Wikipediawebsite at least once a week. Almost three-quarters (74%) said the
information found in Wikipedia articles provides all that they need, and
they don’t seekadditional resources.

The survey also showed gaps in relation to Wikipedia between the Arab and
Jewish populations in Israel. While around 60% of the population uses
Wikipedia once a week or more. Within the Arabic-speaking population, the
percentage of daily usage is larger than that of the Hebrew-speaking
population (27.9% versus 21.6%). In addition, 54% of the Arab-speaking
respondents
were interested in editing Wikipedia compared to only 33% in the Jewish
population.

41% of the Arab-speaking population said that they search Wikipedia
for articles
in scientific fields, compared to 36.2% among the Hebrew speakers.

Only 8% of respondents had ever edited a Wikipedia article, even though 20%
encountered information they deemed to be in need of amending.

For the results, please see:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Awareness_of_Wikipedia_and_its_usage_patterns

Michal Lester

Executive Director

Wikimedia Israel

http://www.wikimedia.org.il/         972-50-8996046 ; 972-77-751-6032

sum of all knowledge. **That's our commitment.*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Awareness of Wikipedia and its usage patterns in Israel

Shlomi Fish
Hi Michal,

On Wed, 24 Dec 2014 10:01:19 +0200
Michal Lester <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Several months ago, Wikimedia Israel conducted a survey on attitudes of the
> Israeli public towards Wikipedia. 751 respondents, which provides
> arepresentative
> sample of the population of Israel, responded to the questionnaire.We paid
> particular attention to the fact that the sample included a representation
> of young people and the Arabic-speaking population in Israel.

thanks for sharing! These results are interesting.

Happy Chanukah / Christmas / etc.

Regards,

        Shlomi Fish

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Awareness of Wikipedia and its usage patterns in Israel

Sydney Poore
Thanks for sharing the information.

Sydney

Sydney Poore
User:FloNight
Wikipedian in Residence
at Cochrane Collaboration

On Wed, Dec 24, 2014 at 3:25 AM, Shlomi Fish <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Michal,
>
> On Wed, 24 Dec 2014 10:01:19 +0200
> Michal Lester <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Several months ago, Wikimedia Israel conducted a survey on attitudes of
> the
> > Israeli public towards Wikipedia. 751 respondents, which provides
> > arepresentative
> > sample of the population of Israel, responded to the questionnaire.We
> paid
> > particular attention to the fact that the sample included a
> representation
> > of young people and the Arabic-speaking population in Israel.
> >

> thanks for sharing! These results are interesting.
>
> Happy Chanukah / Christmas / etc.
>
> Regards,
>
>         Shlomi Fish

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Awareness of Wikipedia and its usage patterns in Israel

Tanweer Morshed
Hi Michal

Thanks for the survey you conducted and sharing the info. But could you
find the reason why Arab-speaking people use Wikipedia more than the
Hebrew-speaking people?

Regards,
Tanweer

On Wed, Dec 24, 2014 at 10:25 PM, Sydney Poore <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Thanks for sharing the information.
>
> Sydney
>
> Sydney Poore
> User:FloNight
> Wikipedian in Residence
> at Cochrane Collaboration
>
> On Wed, Dec 24, 2014 at 3:25 AM, Shlomi Fish <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Michal,
> >
> > On Wed, 24 Dec 2014 10:01:19 +0200
> > Michal Lester <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Several months ago, Wikimedia Israel conducted a survey on attitudes of
> > the
> > > Israeli public towards Wikipedia. 751 respondents, which provides
> > > arepresentative
> > > sample of the population of Israel, responded to the questionnaire.We
> > paid
> > > particular attention to the fact that the sample included a
> > representation
> > > of young people and the Arabic-speaking population in Israel.
> > >

> > thanks for sharing! These results are interesting.
> >
> > Happy Chanukah / Christmas / etc.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> >         Shlomi Fish

> > Shlomi Fish       http://www.shlomifish.org/
> > http://is.gd/htwEXQ - Integrating GNU Guile into GNU coreutils
> >
> > I invented the term Object‐Oriented, and I can tell you I did not have
> C++
> > in
> > mind.                  — Alan Kay (Attributed)

> .

Regards -
Tanweer Morshed

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Awareness of Wikipedia and its usage patterns in Israel

Lilburne
Perhaps they need education on the inherent biases.

http://wikipediocracy.com/2014/12/24/wikipedia-all-murdered-israeli-children-are-murdered-by-arabs/