[Wikimedia-l] Basic income & Wikimedians

[Wikimedia-l] Basic income & Wikimedians

Seb35
Hello,

I would like to speak on this list about the basic income.

For a TL;DR about the concept, the idea of an (unconditionnal) basic
income is to give each citizen of a country a sum of money in order to
fullfill their basic needs: lodging, eat, be healthy. To give an idea of
the amount, one hears often 800-1000 € in France and I heard 2500 CHF in
Switzerland. If people want to earn more, their work income will be in
addition of this basic income. You can read more on the Wikipedia articles
([1] and other languages). Be aware, this idea is as strange as Wikipedia
when one discovers it.

As a Wikipmedian, I dream of such a basic income: it would empower the
people to edit the Wikimedia projects by giving them libre time (libre as
free speech). I don’t think Wikimedia itself should support this to avoid
being involved in politics, but probably many Wikipmedians could be
interested in this idea.

For the European citizens, there is currently an official call (an ECI
[2]) to support this idea at the European level, see [3] ; this call ends
in one week (yes, the 200,000 signatures is a bit far of the million
signatures needed). In Switzerland, a popular legislative initiative
collected more than the 100,000 needed signatures in September 2013, and
this will lead to a nationwide referendum about the basic income there.

Any thoughts about that?

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basic_income
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Citizens'_Initiative
[3] http://sign.basicincome2013.eu/

~ Seb35 [^_^]

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Basic income & Wikimedians

Emmanuel Engelhart-5
Le 09/01/2014 10:59, Seb35 a écrit :

> For a TL;DR about the concept, the idea of an (unconditionnal) basic
> income is to give each citizen of a country a sum of money in order to
> fullfill their basic needs: lodging, eat, be healthy. To give an idea of
> the amount, one hears often 800-1000 € in France and I heard 2500 CHF in
> Switzerland. If people want to earn more, their work income will be in
> addition of this basic income. You can read more on the Wikipedia articles
> ([1] and other languages). Be aware, this idea is as strange as Wikipedia
> when one discovers it.
>
> As a Wikipmedian, I dream of such a basic income: it would empower the
> people to edit the Wikimedia projects by giving them libre time (libre as
> free speech). I don’t think Wikimedia itself should support this to avoid
> being involved in politics, but probably many Wikipmedians could be
> interested in this idea.
>
> For the European citizens, there is currently an official call (an ECI
> [2]) to support this idea at the European level, see [3] ; this call ends
> in one week (yes, the 200,000 signatures is a bit far of the million
> signatures needed). In Switzerland, a popular legislative initiative
> collected more than the 100,000 needed signatures in September 2013, and
> this will lead to a nationwide referendum about the basic income there.

I personally support the vision of the basic income. Such a move would
be extremely encouraging for our projects, for our societies. Thank you
Seb35 for advertising this European call.

Emmanuel
--
Kiwix - Wikipedia Offline & more
* Web: http://www.kiwix.org

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Basic income & Wikimedians

Jonathan Deamer
Interesting! As a member of the Green Party this is something I've read a little bit about, but it's mostly spoken of in the context of its effects on the welfare state.

The idea that it might increase the level of cognitive surplus available to open source and collaborative projects, and so these projects might have a political interest in encouraging a basic income, is quite novel to me.

FWIW, I think this Financial Times piece by economist Tim Harford offers a nicely readable summary of some of the thinking on the subject

http://timharford.com/2013/11/a-universal-income-is-not-such-a-silly-idea/

On 9 Jan 2014, at 09:59, Seb35 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I would like to speak on this list about the basic income.
>
> For a TL;DR about the concept, the idea of an (unconditionnal) basic
> income is to give each citizen of a country a sum of money in order to
> fullfill their basic needs: lodging, eat, be healthy. To give an idea of
> the amount, one hears often 800-1000 € in France and I heard 2500 CHF in
> Switzerland. If people want to earn more, their work income will be in
> addition of this basic income. You can read more on the Wikipedia articles
> ([1] and other languages). Be aware, this idea is as strange as Wikipedia
> when one discovers it.
>
> As a Wikipmedian, I dream of such a basic income: it would empower the
> people to edit the Wikimedia projects by giving them libre time (libre as
> free speech). I don’t think Wikimedia itself should support this to avoid
> being involved in politics, but probably many Wikipmedians could be
> interested in this idea.
>
> For the European citizens, there is currently an official call (an ECI
> [2]) to support this idea at the European level, see [3] ; this call ends
> in one week (yes, the 200,000 signatures is a bit far of the million
> signatures needed). In Switzerland, a popular legislative initiative
> collected more than the 100,000 needed signatures in September 2013, and
> this will lead to a nationwide referendum about the basic income there.
>
> Any thoughts about that?
>
> [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basic_income
> [2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Citizens'_Initiative
> [3] http://sign.basicincome2013.eu/
>
> ~ Seb35 [^_^]

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Basic income & Wikimedians

Fæ
​The WMF has recently clarified that they "frown upon" paid editing.
Presumably offering basic wage for people to edit Wikipedia is still paid
editing?

--
[hidden email] http://j.mp/faewm

Le 09/01/2014 13:36, Fæ a écrit :
> ​The WMF has recently clarified that they "frown upon" paid editing.
> Presumably offering basic wage for people to edit Wikipedia is still paid
> editing?

The answer is "no", because the basic income is *unconditional*.
This is an income, not at wage.

Definition from Wikipedia:
"A basic income (also called basic income guarantee, unconditional basic
income, universal basic income, universal demogrant,[1] or citizen’s
income) is a proposed system[2] of social security in which citizens or
residents of a country regularly receive a sum of money unconditionally,
either from a government or some other institution able to ensure an
equitable distribution of common wealth."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basic_income

Emmanuel

--
Kiwix - Wikipedia Offline & more
* Web: http://www.kiwix.org
* Twitter: https://twitter.com/KiwixOffline
* more: http://www.kiwix.org/wiki/Communication

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Basic income & Wikimedians

Andrea Zanni-2
On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 1:40 PM, Emmanuel Engelhart <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > The WMF has recently clarified that they "frown upon" paid editing.
> > Presumably offering basic wage for people to edit Wikipedia is still paid
> > editing?
>
> The answer is "no", because the basic income is *unconditional*.
> This is an income, not at wage.

That was probably sarcasm ;-)

Aubrey

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Basic income & Wikimedians

Ilario Valdelli
In Switzerland the national referendum has not approved it.

There was the idea to have a minimum guaranteed salary for all citizens and
the 1:12 (a manager could not receive a salary which is more than 12 times
than that of an employee of the same company) but both of them have not
been approved by the population.

Switzerland is a very strange country... but what the population decides
it's mandatory.

Regards

On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 10:59 AM, Seb35 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I would like to speak on this list about the basic income.
>
> For a TL;DR about the concept, the idea of an (unconditionnal) basic
> income is to give each citizen of a country a sum of money in order to
> fullfill their basic needs: lodging, eat, be healthy. To give an idea of
> the amount, one hears often 800-1000 € in France and I heard 2500 CHF in
> Switzerland. If people want to earn more, their work income will be in
> addition of this basic income. You can read more on the Wikipedia articles
> ([1] and other languages). Be aware, this idea is as strange as Wikipedia
> when one discovers it.
>
> As a Wikipmedian, I dream of such a basic income: it would empower the
> people to edit the Wikimedia projects by giving them libre time (libre as
> free speech). I don’t think Wikimedia itself should support this to avoid
> being involved in politics, but probably many Wikipmedians could be
> interested in this idea.
>
> For the European citizens, there is currently an official call (an ECI
> [2]) to support this idea at the European level, see [3] ; this call ends
> in one week (yes, the 200,000 signatures is a bit far of the million
> signatures needed). In Switzerland, a popular legislative initiative
> collected more than the 100,000 needed signatures in September 2013, and
> this will lead to a nationwide referendum about the basic income there.
>
> Any thoughts about that?
>
> [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basic_income
> [2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Citizens'_Initiative
> [3] http://sign.basicincome2013.eu/
>
> ~ Seb35 [^_^]

Ilario Valdelli
Wikimedia CH
Verein zur Förderung Freien Wissens
Switzerland - 8008 Zürich
Tel: +41764821371
http://www.wikimedia.ch

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Basic income & Wikimedians

Fæ
Thanks. I don't see how this relates to Wikimedia projects, by definition
it is not.

On 9 January 2014 12:40, Emmanuel Engelhart <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Le 09/01/2014 13:36, Fæ a écrit :
> > ​The WMF has recently clarified that they "frown upon" paid editing.
> > Presumably offering basic wage for people to edit Wikipedia is still paid
> > editing?
>
> The answer is "no", because the basic income is *unconditional*.
> This is an income, not at wage.
>
> Definition from Wikipedia:
> "A basic income (also called basic income guarantee, unconditional basic
> income, universal basic income, universal demogrant,[1] or citizen’s
> income) is a proposed system[2] of social security in which citizens or
> residents of a country regularly receive a sum of money unconditionally,
> either from a government or some other institution able to ensure an
> equitable distribution of common wealth."
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basic_income
>
> Emmanuel
>

> --
> Kiwix - Wikipedia Offline & more
> * Web: http://www.kiwix.org
> * Twitter: https://twitter.com/KiwixOffline
> * more: http://www.kiwix.org/wiki/Communication

[hidden email] http://j.mp/faewm
Personal and confidential, please do not circulate or re-quote.

Le 09/01/2014 13:53, Ilario Valdelli a écrit :
> In Switzerland the national referendum has not approved it.
>
> There was the idea to have a minimum guaranteed salary for all citizens and
> the 1:12 (a manager could not receive a salary which is more than 12 times
> than that of an employee of the same company) but both of them have not
> been approved by the population.

Ilario, you are not well informed. Seb35 sentence is absolutely correct:

"In Switzerland, a popular legislative initiative
collected more than the 100,000 needed signatures in September 2013, and
this will lead to a nationwide referendum about the basic income there."

Referendum will occur in the next 2-3 years and then we will know what
is the answer of the Swiss citizen.

Emmanuel

--
Kiwix - Wikipedia Offline & more
* Web: http://www.kiwix.org
* Twitter: https://twitter.com/KiwixOffline
* more: http://www.kiwix.org/wiki/Communication

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Basic income & Wikimedians

Seb35
If a basic income is implemented somewhere in the world, people will have
more time for themselves in mean (probably more partial-time work), so
they will have more time to edit the Wikimedia projects, among other
possible activities. ~S

On 9 January 2014 13:13, Seb35 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If a basic income is implemented somewhere in the world, people will have more time for themselves in mean (probably more partial-time work), so they will have more time to edit the Wikimedia projects, among other possible activities. ~S

True. It is true that countries with older populations have more
retired people, who might edit our projects, countries which have
economic instability and suffering collapsing industry may have many
more unemployed people, who might edit our projects, and countries
with high levels of disability from childhood diseases may have more
people who cannot work but might edit our projects.

Whether these are things to encourage or not is a bit off topic for this list.

Fae
--
[hidden email] http://j.mp/faewm

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Basic income & Wikimedians

Ilario Valdelli
I know this initiative and it is also requested by M5S in Italy.

The problem is connected with the funds to finance this initiative.

The base is that a minimum income (and not guaranteed minimum salary) is
considered as a good way to assure also the reactivation of the internal
market, but no one is giving sufficient support to the proposal saying how
finance it.

In Switzerland recently has failed the referendum on the "guaranteed
minimum salary" and the initiative "1:12", now there is the project of the
"basic income" (valid for all citizens) but without a good picture of the
financial basis to assure it, it may be an utopia (this is also what is
happening in Italy).

Regards

On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 2:13 PM, Seb35 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If a basic income is implemented somewhere in the world, people will have
> more time for themselves in mean (probably more partial-time work), so they
> will have more time to edit the Wikimedia projects, among other possible
> activities. ~S
>
> Le Thu, 09 Jan 2014 13:55:39 +0100, Fæ <[hidden email]> a écrit:
>
>  Thanks. I don't see how this relates to Wikimedia projects, by definition
>> it is not.

>>> paid
>>>
>>> The answer is "no", because the basic income is *unconditional*.
>>> This is an income, not at wage.
>>>
>>> Definition from Wikipedia:
>>> "A basic income (also called basic income guarantee, unconditional basic
>>> income, universal basic income, universal demogrant,[1] or citizen’s
>>> income) is a proposed system[2] of social security in which citizens or
>>> residents of a country regularly receive a sum of money unconditionally,
>>> either from a government or some other institution able to ensure an
>>> equitable distribution of common wealth."
>>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basic_income
>>>
>>> Emmanuel
>>>

>>> --
>>> Kiwix - Wikipedia Offline & more
>>> * Web: http://www.kiwix.org
>>> * Twitter: https://twitter.com/KiwixOffline
>>> * more: http://www.kiwix.org/wiki/Communication

Ilario Valdelli
Wikimedia CH
Verein zur Förderung Freien Wissens
Switzerland - 8008 Zürich
Tel: +41764821371
http://www.wikimedia.ch

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Basic income & Wikimedians

Nathan Awrich
On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 8:13 AM, Seb35 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If a basic income is implemented somewhere in the world, people will have
> more time for themselves in mean (probably more partial-time work), so they
> will have more time to edit the Wikimedia projects, among other possible
> activities. ~S

Even with my basic undergraduate economics knowledge I can see that the
economic picture is more complicated than this. Where does the money come
from? Will the resulting inflation offset most or all of the value of the
"basic income"?  Will the massive increase in government expenditure make
the country less competitive? Etc. etc.

And anyway as Fae said, this all seems to be fairly far afield from the
topic of this list.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Basic income & Wikimedians

Federico Leva (Nemo)
Seb35, 09/01/2014 10:59:
> As a Wikipmedian, I dream of such a basic income: it would empower the
> people to edit the Wikimedia projects by giving them libre time (libre as
> free speech). [...]

There are many political and economical variations of the proposal, but
this is usually *not* the stated aim by the main proposers.
As for Wikimedia projects, which from Shirky's perspective build on the
"cognitive surplus", we could consider the 14 millions of young "NEET"
just in EU as a goldmine.[1] Personally, I envision public re-employment
programs introducing millions of people in Wikimedia projects as civil
service, something useful both for the common good and for their
personal growth. I don't see why Wikimedia couldn't approach e.g. the
president of the European Parliament on such topics.

Nemo

[1] «In 2012 7.5 million young people aged 15-24 and an additional 6.5
million young people aged 25-29 were not in employment, education or
training in Europe. This corresponds to a significant increase in the
rate of young people classified as NEET: in 2008, the figure stood
at 11% of 15-24 year olds and 17 % of 25-29 year olds; by 2012 this had
increased to 13 %and 20% respectively (Eurostat).»
https://www.consilium.europa.eu/uedocs/cms_Data/docs/pressdata/en/educ/139721.pdf
Cf.
<http://epp.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/statistics_explained/index.php/Young_people_-_education_and_employment_patterns>.
[2] See also point 14 in the resolution above, «Measures addressing
young people in a NEET situation should be personalised and flexible and
aim to achieve sustainable positive outcomes in the long term in the
labour market, as well as (re)integration into education or training and
civic or social life. In novative ways, peer learning and outreach
activities should be used for working with young people in a NEET
situation.»

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Basic income & Wikimedians

Risker
I'd suggest that income is not a particularly significant factor in whether
or not people participate in the Wikimedia movement, particularly as
editors.  Infrastructure including internet access, education, and
availability of technology are far more significant.

These are all abundantly available in Europe, where we have probably the
highest concentration of editors per capita (with the possible exception of
the US).

In fact, I can't help wondering how a discussion of a European basic
minimum income really comes across to our colleagues who live in countries
where daily wages are the equivalent of the cost of a cup of coffee and
a pastry in most of Europe, North America, and other "wealthy"
countries.  It's bothering me, and I live in one of those well to do
countries.

Risker

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Basic income & Wikimedians

Mark
On 1/9/14, 6:05 AM, Jonathan Deamer wrote:
> The idea that it might increase the level of cognitive surplus available to open source and collaborative projects, and so these projects might have a political interest in encouraging a basic income, is quite novel to me.

This is something I've been thinking about a bit. In general, merging
the fruits of my labor into a project like Wikipedia is *usually* not
the best choice, if I were maximizing personal advancement. If I'm going
to spend, say, 30 hours writing something this month, almost any option
but writing it on Wikipedia will benefit me more. Even something as
simple as a collection of blog posts or a niche website, with my byline
on it, at least is something that might raise my reputation and possibly
be monetizable. However, contributing it to Wikipedia is often the
better choice for dissemination of knowledge: more people will read it,
it can be improved by others, it integrates better into a larger web of
knowledge, etc.

I currently contribute most of my volunteer
documentary/educational/encyclopedia-style writing to Wikipedia, because
I prioritize the impact of my writing above the reputation or income it
gives me. But I have the luxury of doing so because I have a salaried
job in academia. However it's not a guaranteed job (not tenured), so in
the future that might no longer be true. I might get another one, but I
might put out my shingle as an independent researcher / consultant. In
that case, it would probably be the sensible choice to contribute less
to Wikipedia, and more to my own projects (I have my own
subject-specific encyclopedia side project), out of the need to build up
an individual reputation and income. I would prefer not to have to! But
the issue is that contributing to Wikipedia, even though it benefits
society, does not get "counted" as contributing to society in the
market-economics sense, because the ownership of the results diffuses to
the general benefit.

A basic income would remove the need for such accounting overhead, since
one could just focus on how to best contribute to society, without
having to worry about how to "monetize" and "own" every contribution.
But absent such significant change, perhaps the Wikimedia movement could
look more at how to improve at least the recognition (if not income) of
significant contributors.

Best,
Mark

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Basic income & Wikimedians

phoebe ayers-3
On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 11:44 AM, Mark <[hidden email]> wrote:

> A basic income would remove the need for such accounting overhead, since
> one could just focus on how to best contribute to society, without having
> to worry about how to "monetize" and "own" every contribution. But absent
> such significant change, perhaps the Wikimedia movement could look more at
> how to improve at least the recognition (if not income) of significant
> contributors.

Since you mention it... :) I have a small project I'm working on to
document how academics, in particular, "count" or recognize their Wikipedia
contributions. I'm curious both about precedents -- people who have listed
wikipedia editing on their C.V. or tenure packets, for instance -- and
about tools that might make recognition of on-wiki work easier (for
instance, things like edit counters that pull out the top contributors to
an article).

If anyone has any thoughts about this I'd be glad to hear them!

-- phoebe

--
* I use this address for lists; send personal messages to phoebe.ayers <at>
gmail.com *

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Basic income & Wikimedians

Balázs Viczián
I like such proposals (sarcasm).

where do you get the money from, what you wish to distribute?

In general free money -> less people will work (why to work if I still get
money? - see the masses living on unemployment benefits - libre time :) )
-> less people working -> higher taxes -> people will be :( on both ends.
Higher minimum! Lower taxes! Down with the government! Yay.

Printing money would lead to inflation - more money worth less.

And these are the basic, most visible IRL effects.

Pls forget these economical nonsenses.

Cheers,
Vince

2014/1/9 Risker <[hidden email]>

> I'd suggest that income is not a particularly significant factor in whether
> or not people participate in the Wikimedia movement, particularly as
> editors.  Infrastructure including internet access, education, and
> availability of technology are far more significant.
>
> These are all abundantly available in Europe, where we have probably the
> highest concentration of editors per capita (with the possible exception of
> the US).
>
> In fact, I can't help wondering how a discussion of a European basic
> minimum income really comes across to our colleagues who live in countries
> where daily wages are the equivalent of the cost of a cup of coffee and
> a pastry in most of Europe, North America, and other "wealthy"
> countries.  It's bothering me, and I live in one of those well to do
> countries.
>
> Risker

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Basic income & Wikimedians

Fajro
I also support the BI idea but this is too off-topic.

Please discuss this in a more appropriate place (talk pages or
/r/basicincome in reddit, etc).

--
Fajro

Le 09/01/2014 20:50, Balázs Viczián a écrit :

> I like such proposals (sarcasm).
>
> where do you get the money from, what you wish to distribute?
>
> In general free money -> less people will work (why to work if I still get
> money? - see the masses living on unemployment benefits - libre time :) )
> -> less people working -> higher taxes -> people will be :( on both ends.
> Higher minimum! Lower taxes! Down with the government! Yay.
>
> Printing money would lead to inflation - more money worth less.
>
> And these are the basic, most visible IRL effects.
>
> Pls forget these economical nonsenses.

For people urgently needing to read more about the basic income:
http://www.basicincome.org/bien/aboutbasicincome.html
* 5 years long experiment in Canada: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mincome
* Experiment in Namibia: http://www.bignam.org/

Emmanuel