[Wikimedia-l] Biggest disappointment from Wikimania 2017

[Wikimedia-l] Biggest disappointment from Wikimania 2017

Gnangarra
This has been going on for three days, yet not one person involved in this
decision has take a moment to reachout personally to the people who worked
on bids, They have tabled justifications on list discussions, they have
changed the status of Meta pages but not once have they given anyone the
courtesy of owning the mistakes that have caused this, not even the WMF has
made any personal attempt to help reconcile the damage at a more personal
level..

my month ahead;

   - in three hours a meeting with a bid sponsor
   - in 2 days a workshop with GLAM commencement of a new project that will
   include 100,000+ image donation
   - in 5 days WMAU AGM where no doubt these events will be a topic of
   discussion
   - in 15 days on 21st & 22nd I'll giving presentations at a national GLAM
   conference about working with us and about we have already started

I do all of this and a lot more as a volunteer not a paid employee,  3 days
ago my perception in the openness, honesty and integrity of the projects
took a big hit, so as hollow as it'll be now it'd still be nice to think
that the people involved in this have the courage to acknowledge & own
their failures in the way the changes evolved and were communicated.

As a foot note I contacted the WMF three days ago asking for information
and an apology then that I could take to those outside our community who
have also put time, effort and resources into the bid, those email havent
even been acknowledge as being received.

--
​We all make mistakes but its what we do next​ that counts

​Gideon​

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Biggest disappointment from Wikimania 2017

Yaroslav M. Blanter
On 2015-10-06 06:25, Gnangarra wrote:

> This has been going on for three days, yet not one person involved in
> this
> decision has take a moment to reachout personally to the people who
> worked
> on bids, They have tabled justifications on list discussions, they have
> changed the status of Meta pages but not once have they given anyone
> the
> courtesy of owning the mistakes that have caused this, not even the WMF
> has
> made any personal attempt to help reconcile the damage at a more
> personal
> level..

To be honest, I can not recollect a single instance WMF people ever
apologized to the community for any decision, even when it was
immediately clear that they screwed up badly (like removing admin rights
on WMF Wiki etc). I do not expect it this time. I do not see Elly Young
in any of the Wikimania threads.

Cheers
Yaroslav

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Biggest disappointment from Wikimania 2017

Richard Symonds-3
Yaroslav,

To be fair to Ellie (and speaking as an outsider), she is extremely busy
and usually answers direct emails quite quickly, but doesn't usually get
involved in big community discussion threads on mailing lists because she
spends a lot of her time travelling (and thus, I suspect,using a mobile
device).

Richard Symonds
Wikimedia UK
0207 065 0992

On 2015-10-06 16:27, Richard Symonds wrote:

> Yaroslav,
>
> To be fair to Ellie (and speaking as an outsider), she is extremely
> busy
> and usually answers direct emails quite quickly, but doesn't usually
> get
> involved in big community discussion threads on mailing lists because
> she
> spends a lot of her time travelling (and thus, I suspect,using a mobile
> device).
>
> Richard Symonds
> Wikimedia UK
> 0207 065 0992

Hi Richard,

needless to say, I will be happy to be proven wrong.

Cheers
Yaroslav

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Biggest disappointment from Wikimania 2017

Andrea Zanni-2
Hi Yaroslav

> To be honest, I can not recollect a single instance WMF people ever
>> apologized to the community for any decision, even when it was immediately
>> clear that they screwed up badly (like removing admin rights on WMF Wiki
>> etc).

I think it's worth remembering one time they did: a month ago they, when
they decided to change the schedule of the fundraising in Italy, as it was
conflicting with Wiki Loves Monuments.

I understand your point, of course, but I think it's fair to recall the
good things as well as the bad ones, if we want to improve this
relationship.

Aubrey

> Yaroslav

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Biggest disappointment from Wikimania 2017

Ellie Young
I believe we all know now by now that the Committee regrets the  delay in
posting a recommendation about the process change for venues/hosts for
Wikimania.   There was no intention to blindside anyone or to not seek
input from the community.   We should have updated the bid timeline to
reflect that things were being discussed and might be possibly changed. (I
was also wanting more time to investigate whether the idea of Montreal for
a 2017 venue could become a reality e.g., meeting space, prices, hotels,
etc confirmed, etc.)

I have reached out to the Perth bid, and also to Josh Lim about a bid from
the Philippines (although it wasn't listed) about the future and to offer
whatever support they need.    If anyone else is thinking about hosting a
future Wikimania, I would like to strongly encourage you to get in touch
directly with me before starting.    We are not happy about wasting any
volunteer time.   I have worked closely with recent groups in preparing
their proposals and it was worked well-- saving time and effort on both
ends.

In the near future I will be working with the Foundation and the Steering
Committee to support development of a clearer process going forward.  Siko
has outlined some of that in her posting.   And as Richard has said below,
I am usually very prompt in responding, but I also have a lot on my plate
right now that are taking precedent-- like the financial reporting from the
past two Wikimanias to attend to, survey results,  preparing for a site
visit to Montreal (and I am part-time).

I look forward to working with everyone in the coming months and years on
 improving the conference and meeting the community needs.

Keep those cards and letters coming!

Ellie

Ellie Young
Events Manager

On 2015-10-06 16:21, Yaroslav M. Blanter wrote:
> To be honest, I can not recollect a single instance WMF people ever
> apologized to the community for any decision, even when it was
> immediately clear that they screwed up badly (like removing admin
> rights on WMF Wiki etc). I do not expect it this time. I do not see
> Elly Young in any of the Wikimania threads.
>
> Cheers
> Yaroslav

I was off-list provided with such an example, and Aubrey made another
example off-list, so that I am going to retract my statement. However, I
certainly would like to see more examples of apologies when people screw
up, and also thanking volunteers in public never harms. I thank Elly for
her response, though I do not feel like she addresses the main issue:
asking Manila and Perth teams to submit a bid at the time when it was
decided that Montreal gets it. This is not my business anymore though, I
would not attend Wikimania in either city anyway.

Cheers
Yaroslav

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Biggest disappointment from Wikimania 2017

Florence Devouard-3
Le 06/10/15 06:25, Gnangarra a écrit :
> This has been going on for three days, yet not one person involved in this
> decision has take a moment to reachout personally to the people who worked
> on bids, They have tabled justifications on list discussions, they have
> changed the status of Meta pages but not once have they given anyone the
> courtesy of owning the mistakes that have caused this,

Actually. I did.

Florence