[Wikimedia-l] Blocking Wil from this List

[Wikimedia-l] Blocking Wil from this List

Wil Sinclair
I'm starting a thread with the correct title, so that everyone knows
that we're discussing whether I should be banned and for what reasons.

,Wil

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Blocking Wil from this List

Thomas Morton
Wil I ask this as a serious, non-snarky question; have you stepped back for
a second and thought about your actions here.

Some responses have been a bit tough. But I don't think you've handled
yourself at all well.

Imagine, for example, I came into your place of work and started asking
questions. Questions which at best are naive or worst leading. What if I
immediately plunged into one of the most controversial topics of
discussion, in a somewhat aloof tone, and revealed that I'd been talking to
a news outlet who'd just run an in depth expose on your bosses sex life.
What if my comments exposed that my research consisted entirely of what I
had been fed from that outlet.

What I'm saying is; this is a community which is established and often
thoughful. For a web community it is quite welcoming to thoughtful new
contributions. But unlike many web communities it's tolerance for bullshit
is extremely low.

We respond positively to things like reasoned arguments, or great
contributions. We respond badly to oddly crafted explorations. Your opening
email reads, and believe me we have years of them for training, like the
typical flamebait.

Remember as a community we face constant disruption and vandalism: and so
our tools to deal with that, and move back onto content, are abrupt and
harsh.

As a regular and vocal critic myself, I think you've crossed the line in
these threads into disruption.

If you want to understand WM culture then the one and only way to do so is
to become a member of the community. It's not simple or easy, it takes work
to produce quality contributions.

Looking from the outside will only get you so far. I hope you'll delve in
and find not only the bad, but the excellent as well.

Take that as you will. I hope it's useful.

Unfortunately your comments about Kohs mean I find your judgement extremely
lacking. I hope you'll be able to regain the respect youve so quickly lost
here.

Tom
On 29 May 2014 00:25, "Wil Sinclair" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm starting a thread with the correct title, so that everyone knows
> that we're discussing whether I should be banned and for what reasons.
>
> ,Wil

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Blocking Wil from this List

C. Scott Ananian
It seems to me that the community is going out of its way to accomodate Wil
in the hope that we can salvage the life partner of our new ED as a
productive contributor.
  --scott

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Blocking Wil from this List

John Mark Vandenberg
On Thu, May 29, 2014 at 6:24 AM, Wil Sinclair <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm starting a thread with the correct title, so that everyone knows
> that we're discussing whether I should be banned and for what reasons.

Like Sam said in another thread, I doubt you would be blocked on this
list, and there would be an uproar if it happened.  Put on moderation,
maybe, if necessary to slow you down, but the month is nearly over...
;-)

And the 30 posts soft limit is very soft at times (for certain
people?? :P), and I hope the list admins will be lenient here in these
circumstances.  See

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/wiki/foundation/255082?do=post_view_threaded

I've asked "When did the post limit start?" at

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Wikimedia-l#Post_limit

On Thu, May 29, 2014 at 9:05 AM, C. Scott Ananian
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> It seems to me that the community is going out of its way to accomodate Wil
> in the hope that we can salvage the life partner of our new ED as a
> productive contributor.

I dont know about 'salvage', but I agree with your point ;-)

He has a lot of energy, and is interested in the hard questions.  A
great 'meta' contributor in the making, I hope.

--
John Vandenberg