[Wikimedia-l] Board of Trustees participation in the Movement Strategy Process

[Wikimedia-l] Board of Trustees participation in the Movement Strategy Process

María Sefidari-2
Dear Wikimedians,

In 2017, the Wikimedia movement began a collaborative process to define
what we want to build or achieve together by 2030. After eight months of
discussion, across languages, geographies, and contexts, the outcome
was a Strategic
Direction
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:MyLanguage/Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2018-20>
focused on knowledge as a service and knowledge equity:

“By 2030, Wikimedia will become the essential infrastructure of the
ecosystem of free knowledge, and anyone who shares our vision will be able
to join us.[1]”

Now our task as a movement is to apply the Strategic Direction to our own
work. We need to answer questions that define our path forward: What kind
of structures are ideal for achieving our strategic direction? What
resources and capacities do we need to develop? How do we relate to each
other and make decisions as a movement? How do we manage change in a
healthy, sustainable way?

Over the next year, the Wikimedia movement will engage in a structured,
distributed process to answer these questions. The process will be
structured around Working Groups who will develop guidance in key Thematic
Areas.[2]

The Board of Trustees is committed to the Movement Strategy process and
each of us will join one of the Working Groups:

   -

   Roles & Responsibilities: Nataliia
   -

   Revenue Streams: Tanya
   -

   Resource Allocation: María
   -

   Partnerships: Raju
   -

   Community Health: James
   -

   Product & Technology: Christophe
   -

   Capacity Building: Dariusz
   -

   Diversity: Esra’a
   -

   Advocacy: Jimmy

We will play two specific roles in this process:

   1.

   Individually, as members of the Working Groups
   2.
      1.

      participate mindfully in ourtheir individual capacity,
      2.

      bring our their content expertise and experience to the discussion,
      3.

      ensure the information flow from the Working Group to the Board,
      4.

      support an effective, and inclusive process.
      3.

   Collectively, as the Board of Trustees
   4.
      1.

      review recommendations from each Working Group and provide feedback,
      2.

      resolve difficult questions as required and adhere to decisions made,
      3.

      delegate approval of recommendations to an appropriate community
      mechanism whenever possible (such as endorsement or consensus),
      4.

      make decisions when there is no other mechanism to make the decision,
      5.

      accept the recommendations that are consistent with the movement’s
      values, the Strategic Direction as well as law and other compliance
      requirements,
      6.

      direct resources, budgets and capacities for the implementation of
      approved recommendations.

This statement captures the perspective of the Board of Trustees, and we
believe that the process is a unique opportunity for the movement to build
and shape our future together. We will participate in strategy
conversations and sessions at Wikimania[3], and look forward to
contributing throughout the process together with many of you. We encourage
those who are attending Wikimania to also join these conversations and all
Wikimedians to participate in all the upcoming strategic conversations and
consultations.

On behalf of the Board,

María Sefidari

[1]
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:MyLanguage/Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2018-20

[2]
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2018-20/Working_Groups

[3] https://wikimania2018.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_2030#Schedule

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Board of Trustees participation in the Movement Strategy Process

Craig Newmark-2
Maria, thanks, much appreciated!

Which group focuses on information quality and accuracy?

What's the role of the Advisory Board?

Thanks!

Craig Newmark
founder craigslist
craignewmarkphilanthropies.org
On July 19, 2018 9:43:21 AM María Sefidari <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> and shape our future together. We will participate in strategy
> conversations and sessions at Wikimania[3], and look forward to
> contributing throughout the process together with many of you. We encourage
> those who are attending Wikimania to also join these conversations and all
> Wikimedians to participate in all the upcoming strategic conversations and
> consultations.
>
> On behalf of the Board,
>
> María Sefidari
>
> [1]
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:MyLanguage/Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2018-20
>
> [2]
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2018-20/Working_Groups
>
> [3] https://wikimania2018.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_2030#Schedule

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Board of Trustees participation in the Movement Strategy Process

Chris Keating-2
No-one seems to be particularly sure if the Advisory Board is still a
thing or not.

https://foundation.wikimedia.org/wiki/Advisory_Board is marked as
historical and possibly inaccurate, and it hasn't been edited for
about 7 years!

Chris
User:The Land
On Thu, Jul 19, 2018 at 4:48 PM Craig Newmark <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > and shape our future together. We will participate in strategy
> > conversations and sessions at Wikimania[3], and look forward to
> > contributing throughout the process together with many of you. We encourage
> > those who are attending Wikimania to also join these conversations and all
> > Wikimedians to participate in all the upcoming strategic conversations and
> > consultations.
> >
> > On behalf of the Board,
> >
> > María Sefidari
> >
> > [1]
> > https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:MyLanguage/Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2018-20
> >
> > [2]
> > https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2018-20/Working_Groups
> >
> > [3] https://wikimania2018.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_2030#Schedule

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Board of Trustees participation in the Movement Strategy Process

The Cunctator
That's a good find. Hopefully every working group will be tasked with
making their work explicitly consistent with the actual mission of
Wikimedia.

On Thu, Jul 19, 2018, 11:48 AM Craig Newmark <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> > contributing throughout the process together with many of you. We
> encourage
> > those who are attending Wikimania to also join these conversations and
> all
> > Wikimedians to participate in all the upcoming strategic conversations
> and
> > consultations.
> >
> > On behalf of the Board,
> >
> > María Sefidari
> >
> > [1]
> >
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:MyLanguage/Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2018-20
> >
> > [2]
> >
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2018-20/Working_Groups
> >
> > [3] https://wikimania2018.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_2030#Schedule

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Board of Trustees participation in the Movement Strategy Process

metasj

> On Thu, Jul 19, 2018 at 4:48 PM Craig Newmark <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > Maria, thanks, much appreciated!

Hear, hear!  It has been good to see the updates all year.

> > Which group focuses on information quality and accuracy?

And which group focuses on information breadth and coverage?
If these are cross-cutting issues touching on many groups, where should
relevant input go?

On Thu, Jul 19, 2018 at 5:54 PM Chris Keating <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> No-one seems to be particularly sure if the Advisory Board is still a
> thing or not.

Let's fix that :)   This seems like something advisors are particularly
suited to.

SJ

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Board of Trustees participation in the Movement Strategy Process

Chris Keating-2
Hi SJ,

I think everyone who is taking part in this stage of the strategy process
already knows about it.

There was of course an open call for members of the working groups a few
weeks ago, and the working groups will have some unspecified method of
involving the broader community in these conversations, though I expect the
only substantive conversations will happen among working group members -
just as to date the only substantive conversations about movement strategy
have happened at the Wikimedia Conference.

I genuinely don't know whether anyone including WMF thinks the WMF advisory
board still exists.

Chris

On Thu, 19 Jul 2018, 17:07 Samuel Klein, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > On Thu, Jul 19, 2018 at 4:48 PM Craig Newmark <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > Maria, thanks, much appreciated!
> >

> Hear, hear!  It has been good to see the updates all year.
>

> > > Which group focuses on information quality and accuracy?
> >

> And which group focuses on information breadth and coverage?
> If these are cross-cutting issues touching on many groups, where should
> relevant input go?
>
> On Thu, Jul 19, 2018 at 5:54 PM Chris Keating <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > No-one seems to be particularly sure if the Advisory Board is still a
> > thing or not.
> >

> Let's fix that :)   This seems like something advisors are particularly
> suited to.
>
> SJ

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Board of Trustees participation in the Movement Strategy Process

Kaarel Vaidla-2
 Dear Craig and SJ,

> > Which group focuses on information quality and accuracy?
>And which group focuses on information breadth and coverage?
If these are cross-cutting issues touching on many groups, where should
relevant input go?

Thank you for forwarding your questions and input in relation to the
strategy process!

We have not yet set up a place or page where collect the input on meta, but
we plan to do so in the near future. Currently I can invite you to leave
the questions and comments on the *Working Group talk page* [1], so it can
be commented on and later be fed into relevant Working Group. You can also
add tags / comments to state where you think they might fit in.

The topics you have mentioned in this thread are indeed cross-cutting and
related to various Working Groups. What I can suggest is publish the
question with rationale behind it in the context of the proposed thematic
areas for Working Groups. Regarding the wide scope of the proposed
questions, it would make sense to provide some more context and specify
diverse aspects of these questions, so their focus would be more clear for
the Working Groups and they can be better fed into discussions / be
commented on.

Personally, at a first superficial glance, I can see strongest connections
for these questions to the Diversity, Partnerships and Product & Technology
groups, but like I said, it would be easier to say, if the questions would
be more elaborated. Feel free to share your point of view or understanding!

Thank you for bringing this topic up and looking forward to receiving more
input from you throughout the process!

Wishing you a nice end of the week!
Kaarel

[1]
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2018-20/Working_Groups

On Thu, Jul 19, 2018 at 9:34 PM Chris Keating <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi SJ,
>
> I think everyone who is taking part in this stage of the strategy process
> already knows about it.
>
> There was of course an open call for members of the working groups a few
> weeks ago, and the working groups will have some unspecified method of
> involving the broader community in these conversations, though I expect the
> only substantive conversations will happen among working group members -
> just as to date the only substantive conversations about movement strategy
> have happened at the Wikimedia Conference.
>
> I genuinely don't know whether anyone including WMF thinks the WMF advisory
> board still exists.
>
> Chris
>
> On Thu, 19 Jul 2018, 17:07 Samuel Klein, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > Hear, hear!  It has been good to see the updates all year.

> > And which group focuses on information breadth and coverage?
> > If these are cross-cutting issues touching on many groups, where should
> > relevant input go?
> >
> > On Thu, Jul 19, 2018 at 5:54 PM Chris Keating <
> [hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > No-one seems to be particularly sure if the Advisory Board is still a
> > > thing or not.
> > >

> > Let's fix that :)   This seems like something advisors are particularly
> > suited to.
> >
> > SJ

*Kaarel Vaidla*
Process Architect for
Wikimedia Movement Strategy
2030.wikimedia.org

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Board of Trustees participation in the Movement Strategy Process

metasj
Many thanks, Kaarel and Chris. :)