[Wikimedia-l] Bylaw proposal on term limits

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[Wikimedia-l] Bylaw proposal on term limits

Stephen LaPorte
Hi all,

The Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees is considering an amendment to
the Bylaws to add term limits and adjust the term lengths. You can see the
proposed change here:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_bylaws/June_2015_-_Term_Limits

Please share your comments on the talk page. The proposal will be available
for two weeks before the Board votes on the amendment.

Best,
Stephen

--
Stephen LaPorte
Legal Counsel
Wikimedia Foundation

*NOTICE: As an attorney for the Wikimedia Foundation, for legal and ethical
reasons, I cannot give legal advice to, or serve as a lawyer for, community
members, volunteers, or staff members in their personal capacity. For more
on what this means, please see our legal disclaimer
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Legal_Disclaimer>.*
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Bylaw proposal on term limits

Samuel Klein-4
Thank you, Stephen.

Some context: the Board recently discussed ways to update its composition
and selection processes.  In March, there was a Meta discussion about this:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Board_of_Trustees/Thinking_about_the_WMF_Board_composition

Topics discussed and agreed upon by the board in recent months:
* Changing term lengths to 3 years
* Setting a term limit of 6 consecutive years

Topics still under consideration:
* Changing board size to 9 or 11 members
* Selection processes: including the process for appointments & a standing
election committee

Many of these will involve a change to the Bylaws, such as the one below.

Sam

On Mon, Jun 22, 2015 at 5:03 PM, Stephen LaPorte <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> The Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees is considering an amendment to
> the Bylaws to add term limits and adjust the term lengths. You can see the
> proposed change here:
>
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_bylaws/June_2015_-_Term_Limits
>
> Please share your comments on the talk page. The proposal will be available
> for two weeks before the Board votes on the amendment.
>
> Best,
> Stephen
>
> --
> Stephen LaPorte
> Legal Counsel
> Wikimedia Foundation
>
> *NOTICE: As an attorney for the Wikimedia Foundation, for legal and ethical
> reasons, I cannot give legal advice to, or serve as a lawyer for, community
> members, volunteers, or staff members in their personal capacity. For more
> on what this means, please see our legal disclaimer
> <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Legal_Disclaimer>.*
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at:
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
> [hidden email]
> <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/GuidelinesWikimedia-l@...>
> Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l,
> <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>




--
Samuel Klein          w:user:sj          @metasj          +1 617 529 4266
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Bylaw proposal on term limits

rupert THURNER-2
Hi, while all this sounds not bad I am wondering what the reasoning behind
the extention of the time serving would be, as well if one wants to limit
the number of terms what good a waiting time would do to break this limit
again.

Rupert
 On Jun 23, 2015 2:51 AM, "Samuel Klein" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thank you, Stephen.
>
> Some context: the Board recently discussed ways to update its composition
> and selection processes.  In March, there was a Meta discussion about this:
>
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Board_of_Trustees/Thinking_about_the_WMF_Board_composition
>
> Topics discussed and agreed upon by the board in recent months:
> * Changing term lengths to 3 years
> * Setting a term limit of 6 consecutive years
>
> Topics still under consideration:
> * Changing board size to 9 or 11 members
> * Selection processes: including the process for appointments & a standing
> election committee
>
> Many of these will involve a change to the Bylaws, such as the one below.
>
> Sam
>
> On Mon, Jun 22, 2015 at 5:03 PM, Stephen LaPorte <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > The Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees is considering an amendment to
> > the Bylaws to add term limits and adjust the term lengths. You can see
> the
> > proposed change here:
> >
> >
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_bylaws/June_2015_-_Term_Limits
> >
> > Please share your comments on the talk page. The proposal will be
> available
> > for two weeks before the Board votes on the amendment.
> >
> > Best,
> > Stephen
> >
> > --
> > Stephen LaPorte
> > Legal Counsel
> > Wikimedia Foundation
> >
> > *NOTICE: As an attorney for the Wikimedia Foundation, for legal and
> ethical
> > reasons, I cannot give legal advice to, or serve as a lawyer for,
> community
> > members, volunteers, or staff members in their personal capacity. For
> more
> > on what this means, please see our legal disclaimer
> > <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Legal_Disclaimer>.*
> > _______________________________________________
> > Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at:
> > https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
> > [hidden email]
> > <
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/GuidelinesWikimedia-l@...
> >
> > Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l,
> > <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
>
>
>
>
> --
> Samuel Klein          w:user:sj          @metasj          +1 617 529 4266
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at:
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
> [hidden email]
> Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l,
> <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Bylaw proposal on term limits

Sam Klein
On Tue, Jun 23, 2015 at 10:06 AM, rupert THURNER <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi, while all this sounds not bad I am wondering what the reasoning behind
> the extention of the time serving would be, as well if one wants to limit
> the number of terms what good a waiting time would do to break this limit
> again.
>
> Rupert
>

Let's keep all discussion on the talk page.   I posted your comment there.
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Wikimedia_Foundation_bylaws/June_2015_-_Term_Limits
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>