[Wikimedia-l] Catching copy and pasting early

[Wikimedia-l] Catching copy and pasting early

jmh649
Come across another few thousand edits of copy and paste violations again
today. These have occurred over more than a year. It is wearing me out.
Really what is the point on collaborating on Wikipedia if it is simply a
copyright violation. We need a solution and one has been proposed here a
couple of years ago https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Turnitin

We now need programmers to carry it out. The Wiki Education Foundation has
expressed interest. We will need support from the foundation as this
software will likely need to mesh closely with edits as they come in. I am
willing to offer $5,000 dollars Canadian (almost the same as American) for
a working solution that tags potential copyright issues in near real time
with a greater than 90% accuracy. It is to function on at least all medical
and pharmacology articles but I would not complain if it worked on all of
Wikipedia. The WMF is free to apply.

--
James Heilman
MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian

The Wikipedia Open Textbook of Medicine
www.opentextbookofmedicine.com

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Catching copy and pasting early

Leigh Thelmadatter
This is one of the best ideas Ive read on here!

> Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2014 20:00:28 -0600
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]; [hidden email]; [hidden email]; [hidden email]; [hidden email]; [hidden email]; [hidden email]
> Subject: [Wikimedia-l] Catching copy and pasting early
>
> Come across another few thousand edits of copy and paste violations again
> today. These have occurred over more than a year. It is wearing me out.
> Really what is the point on collaborating on Wikipedia if it is simply a
> copyright violation. We need a solution and one has been proposed here a
> couple of years ago https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Turnitin
>
> We now need programmers to carry it out. The Wiki Education Foundation has
> expressed interest. We will need support from the foundation as this
> software will likely need to mesh closely with edits as they come in. I am
> willing to offer $5,000 dollars Canadian (almost the same as American) for
> a working solution that tags potential copyright issues in near real time
> with a greater than 90% accuracy. It is to function on at least all medical
> and pharmacology articles but I would not complain if it worked on all of
> Wikipedia. The WMF is free to apply.
>
> --
> James Heilman
> MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian
>
> The Wikipedia Open Textbook of Medicine
> www.opentextbookofmedicine.com

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Catching copy and pasting early

Pine W
It should be relatively easy to catch a significant percentage of those
copyright violations with the assistance of automated search tools. The
trick is to do it at a large scale in near-realtime, which might require
some computationally intensive and bandwidth intensive work. James, can I
suggest that you take this discussion to Wiki-Research-l? There are a
number of ways that the copyright violation problem could be addressed and
I think this would be a good subject for discussion on that list, or at
Wikimania. Depending on how the discussion on Research goes, it might be
good to invite some dev or tech ops people to participate in the discussion
as well.

Pine

On Sun, Jul 20, 2014 at 7:05 PM, Leigh Thelmadatter <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> This is one of the best ideas Ive read on here!
>

> > Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2014 20:00:28 -0600
> > From: [hidden email]
> > To: [hidden email]; [hidden email];
> [hidden email]; [hidden email]; [hidden email];
> [hidden email]; [hidden email]
> > Subject: [Wikimedia-l] Catching copy and pasting early
> >
> > Come across another few thousand edits of copy and paste violations again
> > today. These have occurred over more than a year. It is wearing me out.
> > Really what is the point on collaborating on Wikipedia if it is simply a
> > copyright violation. We need a solution and one has been proposed here a
> > couple of years ago https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Turnitin
> >
> > We now need programmers to carry it out. The Wiki Education Foundation
> has
> > expressed interest. We will need support from the foundation as this
> > software will likely need to mesh closely with edits as they come in. I
> am
> > willing to offer $5,000 dollars Canadian (almost the same as American)
> for
> > a working solution that tags potential copyright issues in near real time
> > with a greater than 90% accuracy. It is to function on at least all
> medical
> > and pharmacology articles but I would not complain if it worked on all of
> > Wikipedia. The WMF is free to apply.
> >
> > --
> > James Heilman
> > MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian
> >
> > The Wikipedia Open Textbook of Medicine
> > www.opentextbookofmedicine.com

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Catching copy and pasting early

Jane Darnell
Isn't that what Corenbot does/did? I always found it very confusing though
whenever I ran into it, and the false positives are huge (so many sites
copy Wikimedia content these days)

On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 9:11 AM, Pine W <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It should be relatively easy to catch a significant percentage of those
> copyright violations with the assistance of automated search tools. The
> trick is to do it at a large scale in near-realtime, which might require
> some computationally intensive and bandwidth intensive work. James, can I
> suggest that you take this discussion to Wiki-Research-l? There are a
> number of ways that the copyright violation problem could be addressed and
> I think this would be a good subject for discussion on that list, or at
> Wikimania. Depending on how the discussion on Research goes, it might be
> good to invite some dev or tech ops people to participate in the discussion
> as well.
>
> Pine
>

> On Sun, Jul 20, 2014 at 7:05 PM, Leigh Thelmadatter <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > This is one of the best ideas Ive read on here!
> >

> > > Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2014 20:00:28 -0600
> > > From: [hidden email]
> > > To: [hidden email]; [hidden email];
> > [hidden email]; [hidden email]; [hidden email];
> > [hidden email]; [hidden email]
> > > Subject: [Wikimedia-l] Catching copy and pasting early
> > >
> > > Come across another few thousand edits of copy and paste violations
> again
> > > today. These have occurred over more than a year. It is wearing me out.
> > > Really what is the point on collaborating on Wikipedia if it is simply
> > > copyright violation. We need a solution and one has been proposed here
> > > couple of years ago https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Turnitin
> > >
> > > We now need programmers to carry it out. The Wiki Education Foundation
> > has
> > > expressed interest. We will need support from the foundation as this
> > > software will likely need to mesh closely with edits as they come in. I
> > am
> > > willing to offer $5,000 dollars Canadian (almost the same as American)
> > for
> > > a working solution that tags potential copyright issues in near real
> time
> > > with a greater than 90% accuracy. It is to function on at least all
> > medical
> > > and pharmacology articles but I would not complain if it worked on all
> of
> > > Wikipedia. The WMF is free to apply.
> > >
> > > --
> > > James Heilman
> > > MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian
> > >
> > > The Wikipedia Open Textbook of Medicine
> > > www.opentextbookofmedicine.com

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Catching copy and pasting early

Federico Leva (Nemo)
This has nothing to do with wiki-research-l, it's mostly about who can
pay for the API keys. https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/Web_search

Nemo

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Catching copy and pasting early

rupert THURNER-2
hi james, this sounds interesting. the only obstacle i see is that neither
the service nor the software nor the database are open. by using turnitin
we would give up on the principle of opening contents, at least in this
area. this might be perceived bad for opening content, editor retention,
and gaining new editors.

from a turnitin standpoint this might be marketing until they are well
known. as soon their goals are reached there is danger this will be
discontinued or the terms changed to be not acceptable any more.

technical and license obstacles do exist. to properly check wikipedia
editors would need access to restricted content. either content is copied
somewhere in the open, permission granted for all, or in the worst case, a
restricted number of editors.

not to forget is potential link spam. turnitin would put links to a site
not in control of the movement all over the place. they could without
problems put other content behind the links at any time.

but, i do think one could find a less risky and more open way to do check
for plagiarism. one might find better ways to access wikipedia dumps,
better access to recent changes, permission to automatically report back
issues, nitification of contributors and admins. all in a kind of
standardized way (i.e. well defined interface), and most important, usable
by everybody, for free.

rupert
 Am 21.07.2014 04:05 schrieb "Leigh Thelmadatter" <[hidden email]>:

> This is one of the best ideas Ive read on here!
>

> > Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2014 20:00:28 -0600
> > From: [hidden email]
> > To: [hidden email]; [hidden email];
> [hidden email]; [hidden email]; [hidden email];
> [hidden email]; [hidden email]
> > Subject: [Wikimedia-l] Catching copy and pasting early
> >
> > Come across another few thousand edits of copy and paste violations again
> > today. These have occurred over more than a year. It is wearing me out.
> > Really what is the point on collaborating on Wikipedia if it is simply a
> > copyright violation. We need a solution and one has been proposed here a
> > couple of years ago https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Turnitin
> >
> > We now need programmers to carry it out. The Wiki Education Foundation
> has
> > expressed interest. We will need support from the foundation as this
> > software will likely need to mesh closely with edits as they come in. I
> am
> > willing to offer $5,000 dollars Canadian (almost the same as American)
> for
> > a working solution that tags potential copyright issues in near real time
> > with a greater than 90% accuracy. It is to function on at least all
> medical
> > and pharmacology articles but I would not complain if it worked on all of
> > Wikipedia. The WMF is free to apply.
> >
> > --
> > James Heilman
> > MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian
> >
> > The Wikipedia Open Textbook of Medicine
> > www.opentextbookofmedicine.com

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Catching copy and pasting early

Leigh Thelmadatter
I dont know if we have to work with Turn-it-in per se. Given that most copy-paste is from digital sources, we could start with a program/tool to search the web, which could lessen the burden on editors significantly by itself. (Speaking as a writing teacher, I can tell you this is how I find proof of the majority of plagiarism instances... people are often not-too-smart when they are cheating).

If this works, I bet we could then work with some of the databases to allow the access needed to check, as it would require only excepts from the text, not the entire text... enough to justify a revert.

Granted this would not catch everything (no system does) but it would be a very good step in the right direction.

> [...]
> > > Really what is the point on collaborating on Wikipedia if it is simply a
> > > copyright violation. We need a solution and one has been proposed here a
> > > couple of years ago https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Turnitin
> > >
> > > We now need programmers to carry it out. The Wiki Education Foundation
> > has
> > > expressed interest. We will need support from the foundation as this
> > > software will likely need to mesh closely with edits as they come in. I
> > am
> > > willing to offer $5,000 dollars Canadian (almost the same as American)
> > for
> > > a working solution that tags potential copyright issues in near real time
> > > with a greater than 90% accuracy. It is to function on at least all
> > medical
> > > and pharmacology articles but I would not complain if it worked on all of

[Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Deutschland – Transition Team and Interim Executive Director

Tim Moritz Hector-2
Hi all,

A few weeks ago, the Transition Team, which the Supervisory Board of
Wikimedia Deutschland has tasked with organising the search for a new
Executive Director, held its constitutive meeting. Today I would like to
inform you of the work of the Transition team and about the last week’s
further developments.

I am very pleased to announce the appointment of Jan Engelmann as Interim
Executive Director as of 1 September 2014. Jan has worked as the Head of
the Politics & Society department of Wikimedia Deutschland since 2011. He
has already deputised for the Executive Director on a regular basis over
recent years. As Interim Executive Director, Jan will manage the department
on a provisional basis.

Up to 31 August Pavel Richter will remain Executive Director of Wikimedia
Deutschland, with all corresponding duties and responsibilities. After this
time – I am particularly pleased to report – Pavel will work with Jan in an
advisory capacity during the upcoming transitional period. For the time
being this role is set to end on 31 January 2015.

Why have we chosen this solution? What is the difference between Executive
Director and Interim Executive Director? What are the next steps? I would
like to answer these questions by taking a look at the primary task of the
Transition Team: for a new Executive Director to be appointed, the
commission has to recommend a candidate to the Supervisory Board. This
process will require a considerable amount of time. It will no doubt be
several months before this task is complete. So far – over the past three
weeks – all members have been appointed to the Commission, have met with
one another and specified their respective responsibilities. The members
also agreed to report publicly on milestones of their work[1].

For the Transition Team to be able to complete its work, it must be able to
depend on certain conditions. These include, in particular, minimising time
pressure and ensuring knowledge transfer and continuity. The association
can ensure this with the support of Jan and Pavel. As Executive Director,
Pavel has many years of experience and expertise that can remain within the
association thanks to this cooperation.
By appointing an Interim Executive Director, the Supervisory Board is
following a proposal that was developed by the Transition Team. This
solution was unanimously agreed at the Supervisory Board meeting after
consultation with the relevant parties. In this role, Jan Engelmann’s task
is to manage WMDE operations until a new Executive Director is appointed.

I would like to thank Jan, who has agreed to take on this crucial task. I
would also like to thank Pavel for enabling the Association to reliably and
thoroughly prepare for the future.

Most of the members of the Supervisory Board and the Transition Team will
also be at Wikimania in London and happy to answer any questions you might
have.

Best regards,

Tim Moritz Hector

[1] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Deutschland/Transition_Team

--
Tim Moritz Hector

Chair of the board

Wikimedia Deutschland e. V. | Tempelhofer Ufer 23-24 | D-10963 Berlin
Tel.: +49 (0)30 - 219 158 260
http://www.wikimedia.de
[hidden email]

Imagine a world in which every single person on the planet is given free
access to the sum of all human knowledge. That's what we're doing. Help us
make it reality! http://spenden.wikimedia.de

der Nummer 23855 B.
Als gemeinnützig anerkannt durch das Finanzamt für Körperschaften I Berlin,
Steuernummer 27/681/51985.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Deutschland – Transition Team and Interim Executive Director

Lodewijk
Thank you very much for this announcement, Tim. My congratulations with
this tough job to Jan, and thanks to Pavel for this great flexibility.

Tim, I'm afraid that in your email you didn't quite answer the question you
yourself stated: what is the difference between an ED and an interim ED.
For example, Will Jan also become the Vorstand during the transition, or
will this role remain with Pavel? What I get from this email, is that the
main reason for this interim change is likely to allow Pavel to move
forward with his life and at the same time clearly signal to the outside
world that you're looking for talent.

Is that a correct extrapolation/interpretation?

Best,

Lodewijk

> [...]

> Best regards,
>
> Tim Moritz Hector
>
> [1] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Deutschland/Transition_Team
>
> --
> Tim Moritz Hector
>
> Chair of the board
>
> Wikimedia Deutschland e. V. | Tempelhofer Ufer 23-24 | D-10963 Berlin
> Tel.: +49 (0)30 - 219 158 260
> http://www.wikimedia.de
> [hidden email]
>
> Imagine a world in which every single person on the planet is given free
> access to the sum of all human knowledge. That's what we're doing. Help us
> make it reality! http://spenden.wikimedia.de

> der Nummer 23855 B.
> Als gemeinnützig anerkannt durch das Finanzamt für Körperschaften I Berlin,
> Steuernummer 27/681/51985.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Deutschland – Transition Team and Interim Executive Director

Nurunnaby Chowdhury Hasive
Congratulation Jan..

On Tue, Jul 22, 2014 at 2:52 PM, Lodewijk <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Deutschland/Transition_Team
> >
> > --
> > Tim Moritz Hector
> >
> > Chair of the board
> >
> > Wikimedia Deutschland e. V. | Tempelhofer Ufer 23-24 | D-10963 Berlin
> > Tel.: +49 (0)30 - 219 158 260
> > http://www.wikimedia.de
> > [hidden email]
> >
> > Imagine a world in which every single person on the planet is given free
> > access to the sum of all human knowledge. That's what we're doing. Help
> us
> > make it reality! http://spenden.wikimedia.de
> >
> > Wikimedia Deutschland - Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens e.V.
> > Eingetragen im Vereinsregister des Amtsgerichts Berlin-Charlottenburg
> unter
> > der Nummer 23855 B.
> > Als gemeinnützig anerkannt durch das Finanzamt für Körperschaften I

Administrator | Bengali Wikipedia
<http://bn.wikipedia.org/wiki/user:nhasive>
Member | IEG Committee, Wikimedia Foundation
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:IdeaLab/People>
Social Media Interaction Expert | The Daily Prothom-Alo
<http://www.prothom-alo.com>
Bangladesh Ambassador | Open Knowledge Foundation Network
<http://www.okfn.org>
Treasurer | Bangladesh Open Source Network (BdOSN) <http://www.bdosn.org>
Task Force Member | Mozilla Bangladesh <http://www.mozillabd.org>
fb.com/nhasive | @nhasive <http://www.twitter.com/nhasive> | Skype: nhasive
| www.nhasive.com

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Deutschland – Transition Team and Interim Executive Director

Cristian Consonni
> Thank you very much for this announcement, Tim. My congratulations with
> this tough job to Jan, and thanks to Pavel for this great flexibility.

+1, it is also good that you are taking an occasion to meet the rest
of the movement at Wikimania.

> Tim, I'm afraid that in your email you didn't quite answer the question you
> yourself stated: what is the difference between an ED and an interim ED.
> For example, Will Jan also become the Vorstand during the transition, or
> will this role remain with Pavel? What I get from this email, is that the
> main reason for this interim change is likely to allow Pavel to move
> forward with his life and at the same time clearly signal to the outside
> world that you're looking for talent.
>
> Is that a correct extrapolation/interpretation?

I second this question. IMHO, your interpretation is correct, Lodewijk.

So, let me say "buon lavoro" to WM-DE's transition team. :-)

Ciao,

Cristian

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Deutschland – Transition Team and Interim Executive Director

Pavel Richter-2
Hi Lodewijk,

let me try to answer that:

On 22 July 2014 10:52, Lodewijk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Tim, I'm afraid that in your email you didn't quite answer the question you
> yourself stated: what is the difference between an ED and an interim ED.
> For example, Will Jan also become the Vorstand during the transition, or
> will this role remain with Pavel? What I get from this email, is that the
> main reason for this interim change is likely to allow Pavel to move
> forward with his life and at the same time clearly signal to the outside
> world that you're looking for talent.

Yes, Jan will be the "Vorstand" of Wikimedia Deutschland, starting on 1.
September. As an interim ED / Vorstand, he will have the same
responsibilities as a "non-interim" ED, e.g. he will be supervising all
staff of WMDE, he will be responsible for putting together the budget for
2015, he will be working together with the WMDE board in all strategic
matters, etc. So Jan is not only keeping the chair warm until the final ED
is found, but he will be acting ED during the transition period.

My role is much more limited: I am supporting Jan in his position, e.g. I
will work together with him on the budget and the FDC proposal, I will help
with the interacvtions with the WMF and other chapters, and so on. And I
will be in an advisiory role in all things that Jan wants my input in.

The reason why we choose the interim solution is the fact that the board of
WMDE made the decision that they wanted to find a new ED, to replace me. So
it would be awkward for us as an organisation (and for me personally as
well) if I would stay on in my position as ED, even so I do not have the
support of my board any longer. But it will take time to find a new ED, so
we decided together that the interim solution would work best for WMDE as
an organisation, as well as for me personally. I will be available for
advice and during the search for a new ED, at least until the end of
January, but WMDE will be run by an interim ED (=Jan) with a clear mandate
and full support of the board of WMDE.

I hope that answesr your questions?

Cheers,

Pavel

> [...]
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Deutschland/Transition_Team
> >
> > --
> > Tim Moritz Hector
> >
> > Chair of the board
> >
> > Wikimedia Deutschland e. V. | Tempelhofer Ufer 23-24 | D-10963 Berlin
> > Tel.: +49 (0)30 - 219 158 260
> > http://www.wikimedia.de
> > [hidden email]
> >
> > Imagine a world in which every single person on the planet is given free
> > access to the sum of all human knowledge. That's what we're doing. Help
> us
> > make it reality! http://spenden.wikimedia.de
> >
> > Wikimedia Deutschland - Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens e.V.
> > Eingetragen im Vereinsregister des Amtsgerichts Berlin-Charlottenburg
> unter
> > der Nummer 23855 B.
> > Als gemeinnützig anerkannt durch das Finanzamt für Körperschaften I

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Pavel Richter
Vorstand

Wikimedia Deutschland e.V.
Tel.: +49 - 30 - 219 158 260
Twitter: @pavel

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Deutschland – Transition Team and Interim Executive Director

Itzik Edri
Thank you Tim for the update, and good luck Jan and WMDE with the
transition. I know Jan and I'm sure he will do great work in the meanwhile.

And also, huge thanks Pavel for your huge contribution to movement and to
chapter in general! Good luck as well on your next role.

On Tue, Jul 22, 2014 at 11:02 AM, Tim Moritz Hector <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>
> Best regards,
>
> Tim Moritz Hector
>
> [1] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Deutschland/Transition_Team
>
> --
> Tim Moritz Hector
>
> Chair of the board
>
> Wikimedia Deutschland e. V. | Tempelhofer Ufer 23-24 | D-10963 Berlin
> Tel.: +49 (0)30 - 219 158 260
> http://www.wikimedia.de
> [hidden email]
>
> Imagine a world in which every single person on the planet is given free
> access to the sum of all human knowledge. That's what we're doing. Help us
> make it reality! http://spenden.wikimedia.de

> der Nummer 23855 B.
> Als gemeinnützig anerkannt durch das Finanzamt für Körperschaften I Berlin,
> Steuernummer 27/681/51985.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Deutschland – Transition Team and Interim Executive Director

That explains it very well, thank you.

Best,

Lodewijk