[Wikimedia-l] Cc-by-sa 4.0, Wikimedia logos

[Wikimedia-l] Cc-by-sa 4.0, Wikimedia logos

rupert THURNER-2
Hi yana, would you be so kind to explain why wmf did not opt for the newest
commons license, cc-by-sa 4.0?

Rupert
On Oct 28, 2014 9:06 PM, "Yana Welinder" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Good point.  That line can now be deleted from the trademark template.

On Tue, Oct 28, 2014 at 7:40 AM, Romaine Wiki <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Practical question:
> The template:
> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Template:Wikimedia_trademark
> contains a line: (Consider using {{Copyright by Wikimedia
> <https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Template:Copyright_by_Wikimedia>}}
> instead)
>
> Should that line be removed from the Wikimedia trademark template?
> (including all translations)
>
> Romaine

> > Really cool, great work. Thank you very much.
> >
> > Greetings
> > Ting
> >
> > Am 10/27/2014 um 06:51 PM schrieb Yana Welinder:
> >
> >  Hi folks,
> >>
> >> I'm happy to announce that we are re-licensing the Wikimedia logos on
> >> Commons to CC BY-SA 3.0:
> >> https://blog.wikimedia.org/2014/10/24/wikimedia-logos-have-been-freed/
> >>
> >> I would really appreciate your help with replacing the {{Copyright by
> >> Wikimedia}}
> >> <https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Template:Copyright_by_Wikimedia>[1]
> >> templates on the logos with the {{Wikimedia trademark}}
> >> <https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Template:Wikimedia_trademark>[2]
> and
> >> {{cc-by-sa-3.0}} <https://commons.wikimedia.
> >> org/wiki/Template:Cc-by-sa-3.0>[3]
> >> templates. But we don't want to replace templates on the MediaWiki
> >> <https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:MediaWiki.svg>[4] and the
> >> Community
> >> <https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Wikimedia_Community_Logo.svg
> >[5]
> >> logos, which were originally released under free licenses.
> >>
> >> There are also some pages on Commons, like this one
> >> <https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Licensing>[6], that may
> need
> >> be updated based on the re-licensed logos.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >>
> >> Yana
> >>
> >> [1] https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Template:Copyright_by_Wikimedia
> >>
> >> [2] https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Template:Wikimedia_trademark
> >>
> >> [3] https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Template:Cc-by-sa-3.0
> >>
> >> [4] https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:MediaWiki.svg
> >>
> >> [5]
> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Wikimedia_Community_Logo.svg
> >>
> >> [6] https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Licensing

Yana Welinder
Legal Counsel
Wikimedia Foundation
415.839.6885 ext. 6867
@yanatweets <https://twitter.com/yanatweets>

NOTICE: As an attorney for the Wikimedia Foundation, for legal/ethical
reasons I cannot give legal advice to, or serve as a lawyer for, community
members, volunteers, or staff members in their personal capacity. For more
on what this means, please see our legal disclaimer
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Legal_Disclaimer>.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Cc-by-sa 4.0, Wikimedia logos

Luis Villa
Hi, Rupert-

I think the movement as a whole should try to move consistently to 4.0 at
roughly the same time. It is confusing to re-users to have to juggle
different terms for different pieces of Wikimedia content.[1] So Foundation
content will generally remain 3.0 until we make 4.0 the default license
across the projects. (I'm aware that some projects have taken this jump on
the own, but where I've seen this, I've made similar points - for example
<https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Wikipedia_talk:Declaration_of_consent_for_all_enquiries&diff=prev&oldid=622093759>
.)

WMF Legal plans to launch a movement-wide 4.0 discussion when CC has issued
a solid number of translations, ideally in our largest languages. I
understand the first few translations will be published in the next few
weeks, and there is a schedule of upcoming translations on CC's wiki
<https://wiki.creativecommons.org/Legal_Tools_Translation#4.0>[2].
Realistically,
given the holidays, and the lag for large projects, this likely means that
discussion will happen early in 2015.

Hope that helps-
Luis

[1] I'm well aware we already have a huge problem with this, but I don't
want it to get worse. :)
[2] These are updated by the translation teams, not CC itself, so they may
not be up-to-date/accurate.

On Tue, Oct 28, 2014 at 2:00 PM, rupert THURNER <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi yana, would you be so kind to explain why wmf did not opt for the newest
> commons license, cc-by-sa 4.0?
>
> Rupert
> On Oct 28, 2014 9:06 PM, "Yana Welinder" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Good point.  That line can now be deleted from the trademark template.
>
> On Tue, Oct 28, 2014 at 7:40 AM, Romaine Wiki <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Practical question:
> > The template:
> > https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Template:Wikimedia_trademark
> > contains a line: (Consider using {{Copyright by Wikimedia
> > <https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Template:Copyright_by_Wikimedia>}}
> > instead)
> >
> > Should that line be removed from the Wikimedia trademark template?
> > (including all translations)
> >
> > Romaine

> > > Really cool, great work. Thank you very much.
> > >
> > > Greetings
> > > Ting
> > >
> > > Am 10/27/2014 um 06:51 PM schrieb Yana Welinder:
> > >
> > >  Hi folks,

> https://blog.wikimedia.org/2014/10/24/wikimedia-logos-have-been-freed/

> >[1]
> > and
> > >[5]

> > need

> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Template:Copyright_by_Wikimedia

> > https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Wikimedia_Community_Logo.svg

> Yana Welinder
> Legal Counsel
> Wikimedia Foundation
> 415.839.6885 ext. 6867
> @yanatweets <https://twitter.com/yanatweets>
>
> NOTICE: As an attorney for the Wikimedia Foundation, for legal/ethical
> reasons I cannot give legal advice to, or serve as a lawyer for, community
> members, volunteers, or staff members in their personal capacity. For more
> on what this means, please see our legal disclaimer
> <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Legal_Disclaimer>.

Luis Villa
Deputy General Counsel
Wikimedia Foundation
415.839.6885 ext. 6810

*This message may be confidential or legally privileged. If you have
received it by accident, please delete it and let us know about the
mistake. As an attorney for the Wikimedia Foundation, for legal/ethical
reasons I cannot give legal advice to, or serve as a lawyer for, community
members, volunteers, or staff members in their personal capacity. For more
on what this means, please see our legal disclaimer
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Legal_Disclaimer>.*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Cc-by-sa 4.0, Wikimedia logos

Pine W
Hi,

Can we get an update on the transition plan to 4.0? I am seeing increasing
amounts of content with 4.0 licensing across the the web, and would like us
to move sooner rather than later to 4.0 in order to maintain continuity
with new content where possible.

I am not a licensing expert and I sometimes get headaches trying to
deconflict licenses.

Thanks,
Pine
On Oct 28, 2014 3:00 PM, "Luis Villa" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> more
> > on what this means, please see our legal disclaimer
> > <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Legal_Disclaimer>.

> Luis Villa
> Deputy General Counsel
> Wikimedia Foundation
> 415.839.6885 ext. 6810
>
> *This message may be confidential or legally privileged. If you have
> received it by accident, please delete it and let us know about the
> mistake. As an attorney for the Wikimedia Foundation, for legal/ethical
> reasons I cannot give legal advice to, or serve as a lawyer for, community
> members, volunteers, or staff members in their personal capacity. For more
> on what this means, please see our legal disclaimer
> <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Legal_Disclaimer>.*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Cc-by-sa 4.0, Wikimedia logos

Federico Leva (Nemo)
Pine W, 10/02/2015 10:13:
> in order to maintain continuity
> with new content

What?

Nemo

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Cc-by-sa 4.0, Wikimedia logos

Luis Villa
CC 4 is still only in two (three?) languages (Kat may want to weigh in?) so
it is premature for us to move, I think. But I'm optimistic we'll see
traction in that area soon, and then we can have a movement discussion.
Sorry that we can't force that to happen faster :)

[To be clear, as I've said on Commons, CC 4.0 is clearly already
*acceptable* for imported images - obviously free, etc. We just shouldn't
be encouraging it as the *default* anywhere until there are more languages
and a movement-wide discussion.]

Luis

On Tue, Feb 10, 2015 at 1:13 AM, Pine W <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> members, volunteers, or staff members in their personal capacity. For more
>> on what this means, please see our legal disclaimer
>> <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Legal_Disclaimer>.*

Luis Villa
Deputy General Counsel
Wikimedia Foundation
415.839.6885 ext. 6810

*This message may be confidential or legally privileged. If you have
received it by accident, please delete it and let us know about the
mistake. As an attorney for the Wikimedia Foundation, for legal/ethical
reasons I cannot give legal advice to, or serve as a lawyer for, community
members, volunteers, or staff members in their personal capacity. For more
on what this means, please see our legal disclaimer
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Legal_Disclaimer>.*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Cc-by-sa 4.0, Wikimedia logos

Mike Peel
According to the footer at:
CC-BY-SA 4.0 is currently available in 34 languages/language variants: Castellano <http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/deed.es> Castellano (España) <http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/deed.es_ES> Català <http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/deed.ca> Dansk <http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/deed.da> Deutsch <http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/deed.de> English <http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/deed.en> Esperanto <http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/deed.eo> français <http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/deed.fr>Galego <http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/deed.gl> hrvatski <http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/deed.hr> Indonesia <http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/deed.id> Italiano <http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/deed.it> Latviski <http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/deed.lv> Lietuvių <http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/deed.lt> Magyar <http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/deed.hu> Melayu <http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/deed.ms> Nederlands <http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/deed.nl> Norsk <http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/deed.no> polski <http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/deed.pl> Português <http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/deed.pt> Português (BR) <http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/deed.pt_BR> Suomeksi <http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/deed.fi> svenska <http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/deed.sv> Türkçe <http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/deed.tr> íslenska <http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/deed.is>česky <http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/deed.cs> Ελληνικά <http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/deed.el> русский <http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/deed.ru> українська <http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/deed.uk> العربية <http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/deed.ar> پارسی <http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/deed.fa> 日本語 <http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/deed.ja> 華語 (台灣) <http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/deed.zh_TW> 한국어 <http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/deed.ko> .

Thanks,
Mike

> [...]
> Wikimedia Foundation
> 415.839.6885 ext. 6810
>
> *This message may be confidential or legally privileged. If you have
> received it by accident, please delete it and let us know about the
> mistake. As an attorney for the Wikimedia Foundation, for legal/ethical
> reasons I cannot give legal advice to, or serve as a lawyer for, community
> members, volunteers, or staff members in their personal capacity. For more
> on what this means, please see our legal disclaimer
> <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Legal_Disclaimer <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Legal_Disclaimer>>.*
> Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l <https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l>, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>>

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Cc-by-sa 4.0, Wikimedia logos

Kat Walsh-4
On Thu, Feb 12, 2015 at 12:26 PM, Luis Villa <[hidden email]> wrote:
> CC 4 is still only in two (three?) languages (Kat may want to weigh in?) so
> it is premature for us to move, I think. But I'm optimistic we'll see
> traction in that area soon, and then we can have a movement discussion.
> Sorry that we can't force that to happen faster :)

There are only two official translations of the 4.0 suite currently
(Norwegian and Finnish), with another ready to publish fairly soon,
maybe 10 or so others in progress. (I note that I'm not there anymore,
though, and can't speak to how things will go forward.)

-Kat

On Thu, Feb 12, 2015 at 12:30 PM, Michael Peel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> According to the footer at:
> http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/
> CC-BY-SA 4.0 is currently available in 34 languages/language variants: [...]

This is just the deeds, not the license text itself.

-Kat

> Thanks,
> Mike
>
>> On 12 Feb 2015, at 20:26, Luis Villa <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> CC 4 is still only in two (three?) languages (Kat may want to weigh in?) so
>> it is premature for us to move, I think. But I'm optimistic we'll see
>> traction in that area soon, and then we can have a movement discussion.
>> Sorry that we can't force that to happen faster :)
>>
>> [To be clear, as I've said on Commons, CC 4.0 is clearly already
>> *acceptable* for imported images - obviously free, etc. We just shouldn't
>> be encouraging it as the *default* anywhere until there are more languages
>> and a movement-wide discussion.]
>>
>> Luis
>>
>> On Tue, Feb 10, 2015 at 1:13 AM, Pine W <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Can we get an update on the transition plan to 4.0? I am seeing increasing
>>> amounts of content with 4.0 licensing across the the web, and would like us
>>> to move sooner rather than later to 4.0 in order to maintain continuity
>>> with new content where possible.
>>>
>>> I am not a licensing expert and I sometimes get headaches trying to
>>> deconflict licenses.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Pine

>> --
>> Luis Villa
>> Deputy General Counsel
>> Wikimedia Foundation
>> 415.839.6885 ext. 6810
>>
>> *This message may be confidential or legally privileged. If you have
>> received it by accident, please delete it and let us know about the
>> mistake. As an attorney for the Wikimedia Foundation, for legal/ethical
>> reasons I cannot give legal advice to, or serve as a lawyer for, community
>> members, volunteers, or staff members in their personal capacity. For more
>> on what this means, please see our legal disclaimer
>> <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Legal_Disclaimer <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Legal_Disclaimer>>.*
>> Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l <https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l>, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>>

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Cc-by-sa 4.0, Wikimedia logos

MZMcBride-2
Hi.

On the subject of Creative Commons...

How stable is the Creative Commons organization lately?

How tied together are Creative Commons the non-profit organization and
Creative Commons the licenses?

Or perhaps more bluntly: if Creative Commons the organization collapses,
what's the likely short-term and long-term impact to Wikimedia wikis?

MZMcBride

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Cc-by-sa 4.0, Wikimedia logos

Pine W
Good questions. Their Board of Directors page contains long outdated
information, the last Form 990 posted on their website is from tax year
2012 (!) suggests at first glance that they had some big financial problems
that year, and the most recent audit that they posted is also for tax year
2012.

Pine
On Feb 13, 2015 9:35 PM, "MZMcBride" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi.
>
> On the subject of Creative Commons...
>
> How stable is the Creative Commons organization lately?
>
> How tied together are Creative Commons the non-profit organization and
> Creative Commons the licenses?
>
> Or perhaps more bluntly: if Creative Commons the organization collapses,
> what's the likely short-term and long-term impact to Wikimedia wikis?
>
> MZMcBride

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Cc-by-sa 4.0, Wikimedia logos

James Alexander-4
Yeah, it seems like they have the deed in a bunch of languages now but the
actual full license is officially only in En,no and fi (
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/legalcode#languages )

James Alexander
Legal and Community Advocacy
Wikimedia Foundation
(415) 839-6885 x6716 @jamesofur

> [...]

> <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>>
> >>

> > --
> > Luis Villa
> > Deputy General Counsel
> > Wikimedia Foundation
> > 415.839.6885 ext. 6810
> >
> > *This message may be confidential or legally privileged. If you have
> > received it by accident, please delete it and let us know about the
> > mistake. As an attorney for the Wikimedia Foundation, for legal/ethical
> > reasons I cannot give legal advice to, or serve as a lawyer for,
> community
> > members, volunteers, or staff members in their personal capacity. For
> more
> > on what this means, please see our legal disclaimer
> > <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Legal_Disclaimer <
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Legal_Disclaimer>>.*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Cc-by-sa 4.0, Wikimedia logos

I guess I am in as good a place as any to try to answer this question
(and I'm speaking only for myself, here).

I think only the barest sliver of the organization needs to exist for
the licenses to exist--that is, someone willing to carry on the name
and core mission, even if the org can't itself pay anyone's salary to
work on it full time. Much of the other work CC does is more
resource-intensive, especially if it wants to take on the long-term
issue of policy change, but let's say we're only concerned with the
immediate scope of your question.

For your particular concern to be addressed, someone needs to be
willing to undertake needed maintenance of some canonical version of
the licenses. The vast majority of the time, this means simply keeping
the servers running so that they remain accessible; on rare and what I
hope are increasingly infrequent occasions, it means revision of the
license suite. (I have joked that I will be happy to consult on the
5.0 revision from my retirement home.) The main resource this takes is
time, from people with the necessary knowledge and commitment to do
it. This rare process benefits from an organization that can support
paying for full-time work on it, but does not strictly require it.

So the organization and the licenses are tied together in that someone
needs to be the license steward, but not necessarily the organization
in its current form. (The real requirement is that the license steward
have the trust of the license-using community, so that people will
still use the CC licenses as stewarded by whoever does it. It is
possible to have competing forks of the licenses and this is a bad
idea for the same reason forks of many types of standards with network
effects are a bad idea.) CC currently has seen better times--in an
attempt to make its financial situation sustainable many staff were
recently let go, which is why I am no longer there. But it is not yet
down to bare bones, and I think there is a much greater likelihood
that support would continue to exist for that bare bones work (and if
I'm putting my speculative hat on, paths for such support could
include getting taken under the wing of a law school, for example).

tl;dr: CC has its struggles but this is not something I currently see
as a major concern.

-Kat
waving hello to the CC staff who lurk on this list...

On Fri, Feb 13, 2015 at 9:34 PM, MZMcBride <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi.
>
> On the subject of Creative Commons...
>
> How stable is the Creative Commons organization lately?
>
> How tied together are Creative Commons the non-profit organization and
> Creative Commons the licenses?
>
> Or perhaps more bluntly: if Creative Commons the organization collapses,
> what's the likely short-term and long-term impact to Wikimedia wikis?
>
> MZMcBride

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Cc-by-sa 4.0, Wikimedia logos

James Alexander-4
On Fri, Feb 13, 2015 at 10:05 PM, James Alexander <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Yeah, it seems like they have the deed in a bunch of languages now but the
> actual full license is officially only in En,no and fi (
> http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/legalcode#languages )
>
> James Alexander
> Legal and Community Advocacy
> Wikimedia Foundation
> (415) 839-6885 x6716 @jamesofur

errr... for the record I'm not sure why this sent now... it was written
before Kat had said this exact same thing...

James Alexander
Legal and Community Advocacy
Wikimedia Foundation
(415) 839-6885 x6716 @jamesofur

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Cc-by-sa 4.0, Wikimedia logos

Andrea Zanni-2
On Sat, Feb 14, 2015 at 7:29 AM, Kat Walsh <[hidden email]> wrote:

> tl;dr: CC has its struggles but this is not something I currently see
> as a major concern.

Is there something we can do as
* Wikimedia movement?
* Wikimedia Foundation?

Aubrey

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Cc-by-sa 4.0, Wikimedia logos

Asaf Bartov-2
Probably.  But it's a conversation that would need to take place with CC,
off this list, first.

   A.

On Sat, Feb 14, 2015 at 1:08 AM, Andrea Zanni <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 14, 2015 at 7:29 AM, Kat Walsh <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > tl;dr: CC has its struggles but this is not something I currently see
> > as a major concern.
> >

> Is there something we can do as
> * Wikimedia movement?
> * Wikimedia Foundation?
>
> Aubrey

    Asaf Bartov

https://donate.wikimedia.org

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Cc-by-sa 4.0, Wikimedia logos

Federico Leva (Nemo)
See also https://creativecommons.org/board ,
https://creativecommons.org/tag/ceo

It's important to note that CC has dozens of independent national
"chapters" (affiliates
https://wiki.creativecommons.org/Category:Jurisdictions ), many of which
are university centres/departments; some are rather big and do
international work as well, like NEXA (
https://wiki.creativecommons.org/Italy ).

It's impossible for them all to collapse at once; in case of fatal
emergency, it would probably be comparatively easy to transition the
barebone CC infrastructure (main trademarks and website) from one org to
another.

Nemo

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Cc-by-sa 4.0, Wikimedia logos

Pine W
It appears to me from my surface-level review that there are some long-term
finance and governance troubles at the main CC org. Now seems like a good
time for WMF and other relevant orgs to develop a contingency plan in case
the main CC org continues to have problems or ceases to be functional. I
hope that the CC chapers have contingency plans, and I hope that we on this
list will hear directly from WMF Legal that they are watching this
situation carefully and are making appropriate plans based on what they
learn.

Thanks,

Pine
On Feb 15, 2015 12:40 AM, "Federico Leva (Nemo)" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> See also https://creativecommons.org/board , https://creativecommons.org/
> tag/ceo
>
> It's important to note that CC has dozens of independent national
> "chapters" (affiliates https://wiki.creativecommons.
> org/Category:Jurisdictions ), many of which are university
> centres/departments; some are rather big and do international work as well,
> like NEXA ( https://wiki.creativecommons.org/Italy ).
>
> It's impossible for them all to collapse at once; in case of fatal
> emergency, it would probably be comparatively easy to transition the
> barebone CC infrastructure (main trademarks and website) from one org to
> another.
>
> Nemo

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Cc-by-sa 4.0, Wikimedia logos

Pine W
Kat,

Thanks for the comments. You say that CC "has its struggles but this is not
something I currently see
as a major concern". Would you be able to encourage CC to post more recent
990s and audits so that others can evaluate for ourselves? If CC published
a rehabilitation plan, that would be helpful too.

Thanks,
Pine

Kat Walsh wrote:

>I guess I am in as good a place as any to try to answer this question
>(and I'm speaking only for myself, here).
>
>[...]
>
>So the organization and the licenses are tied together in that someone
>needs to be the license steward, but not necessarily the organization
>in its current form. (The real requirement is that the license steward
>have the trust of the license-using community, so that people will
>still use the CC licenses as stewarded by whoever does it. It is
>possible to have competing forks of the licenses and this is a bad
>idea for the same reason forks of many types of standards with network
>effects are a bad idea.) CC currently has seen better times--in an
>attempt to make its financial situation sustainable many staff were
>recently let go, which is why I am no longer there. But it is not yet
>down to bare bones, and I think there is a much greater likelihood
>that support would continue to exist for that bare bones work (and if
>I'm putting my speculative hat on, paths for such support could
>include getting taken under the wing of a law school, for example).
>
>tl;dr: CC has its struggles but this is not something I currently see
>as a major concern.

Thank you very much for taking the time to put together this thoughtful
and candid reply. I really appreciate it, particularly given your unique
expertise and experience in this area.

MZMcBride