[Wikimedia-l] Changing our volunteer structure at Wikimedia UK

[Wikimedia-l] Changing our volunteer structure at Wikimedia UK

Michael Maggs

Dear movement colleagues

I thought you might like to hear about a new WMUK initiative, following
on from our recently-completed staff restructure. We are hopeful our
local community will react positively to much greater levels of
volunteer engagement.

Our initiative might be of interest to other chapters who are trying -
as we are - to get away from a perception of not being sufficiently open
to community involvement.

Also, we are looking for movement-wide input.  If you can provide
thoughts, ideas or feedback, do please make contact.

For the full details on wiki see:
https://wikimedia.org.uk/wiki/Volunteer_strategy_consultation_2015

Best regards

Michael

____________

Michael Maggs

Chair, Wikimedia UK

*From:* Michael Maggs
*Date:* 5 June 2015 14:38
*To:* "[hidden email]"
<[hidden email]>
*Subject:* [Wikimediauk-l] Volunteering with Wikimedia UK: a call to action

Volunteering with Wikimedia UK: a call to action

Wikimedia UK needs your help. We want to transform the way we work so
that we can bring volunteering right into the heart of the charity.

We plan to:

  * Establish a new volunteer engagement panel
    <https://wikimedia.org.uk/wiki/Volunteer_engagement_panel> or
    steering group, focusing specifically on volunteering and volunteer
    engagement
  * Embed members into our day-to-day decision making via a new
    evaluation panel <https://wikimedia.org.uk/wiki/Evaluation_panel>
  * Encourage the setting up of volunteer special-interest working
    groups <https://wikimedia.org.uk/wiki/Working_groups> to replace the
    existing non-board committees
    <https://wikimedia.org.uk/wiki/Committees#Non-board_committees>
  * Set up cultural/GLAM
    <https://wikimedia.org.uk/wiki/Cultural_and_GLAM_advisory_board> and
    educational outreach
    <https://wikimedia.org.uk/wiki/Educational_outreach_advisory_board>
    expert advisory boards to advise the WMUK main board on high-level
    strategy
  * Change our Articles of Association
    <https://wikimedia.org.uk/wiki/2015_Annual_General_Meeting/Resolutions#.281.29_Enabling_non-trustees_to_become_full_members_of_Govcom.2C_ARC_and_any_other_board_committees_that_may_be_constituted>
    to allow volunteers to be appointed full members of board committees
  * Provide more effective support for volunteers via the new project
    coordinator <https://wikimedia.org.uk/wiki/Project_Coordinator>
    staff roles
  * Move toward project-based
    <https://wikimedia.org.uk/wiki/Project-based_working> working
    practices to improve efficiency and to enable better self-evaluation
    of our work

These draft plans follow on from the excellent feedback we received from
our last Volunteer Strategy Gathering
<https://wikimedia.org.uk/wiki/Volunteer_Strategy_Gathering/July_2015>.
They deliberately don't attempt to answer all possible questions about
implementation, as we think it best that both further questions and the
answers to those questions should come out of collaborative discussions.
The plans are not set in stone, and with the community's help they can
be improved, strengthened and fleshed out.

We would like your feedback, either online or in person at our next
Volunteer Strategy Gathering
<https://wikimedia.org.uk/wiki/Volunteer_Strategy_Gathering/July_2015>
on Saturday 25th July 2015, in London. For more information, see the
links on the right.

Feedback, comments and discussion are more than welcome on the
discussion page, or you can email chairatwikimedia.org.uk if you have
feedback you would prefer not to make public.

To read the full details on wiki see here:
https://wikimedia.org.uk/wiki/Volunteer_strategy_consultation_2015

Best regards

Michael

_______
Michael Maggs

Chair, Wikimedia UK

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Changing our volunteer structure at Wikimedia UK

Fæ
Do you have to be a paid up member of the charity to be part of the
consultation or the envisaged interest groups?

As last year you changed the charity policies to limit all equipment
to paid members only, which caused WM-LGBT+ a pointless degree of
hassle to even borrowing a projector, I presume that the same policy
of exclusivity would apply.

Fae
Previous Chairman of Wikimedia UK, uniquely excluded from membership
of the UK charity or elections.

On 5 June 2015 at 15:14, Michael Maggs <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear movement colleagues
>
> I thought you might like to hear about a new WMUK initiative, following on
> from our recently-completed staff restructure. We are hopeful our local
> community will react positively to much greater levels of volunteer
> engagement.
>
> Our initiative might be of interest to other chapters who are trying - as we
> are - to get away from a perception of not being sufficiently open to
> community involvement.
>
> Also, we are looking for movement-wide input.  If you can provide thoughts,
> ideas or feedback, do please make contact.
>
> For the full details on wiki see:
> https://wikimedia.org.uk/wiki/Volunteer_strategy_consultation_2015
>
> Best regards
>

> Michael
>

> ____________
>
> Michael Maggs
>

> _______
> Michael Maggs
>
> Chair, Wikimedia UK

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Changing our volunteer structure at Wikimedia UK

Michael Maggs
Of course you don't need to be a member to volunteer with us or to be
part of this or any other consultation.  There are only a very few
things that are restricted to members or that need member support, for
example borrowing our equipment and handling the charity's money.

Michael

> [...]
> help they can be improved, strengthened and fleshed out.
>
> We would like your feedback, either online or in person at our next
> Volunteer Strategy Gathering
> <https://wikimedia.org.uk/wiki/Volunteer_Strategy_Gathering/July_2015>
> on Saturday 25th July 2015, in London. For more information, see the
> links on the right.
>
> Feedback, comments and discussion are more than welcome on the
> discussion page, or you can email chairatwikimedia.org.uk if you have
> feedback you would prefer not to make public.
>
> To read the full details on wiki see here:
> https://wikimedia.org.uk/wiki/Volunteer_strategy_consultation_2015
>
> Best regards
>

> Michael
>

> _______
> Michael Maggs
>
> Chair, Wikimedia UK

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Changing our volunteer structure at Wikimedia UK

The bizarre part of this is that the charity you are currently
chairman of, does not do any meaningful checks on members when they
join (for five quid).

The fact remains that only one person is excluded from membership,
voting or taking part in advisory committees, and as a previous
chairman of the charity, you would think I would be more trustworthy
with charity owned equipment than people who may well be using fake
names or temporary addresses.

The real-politic is that you chose to spend a large amount of donated
funds on legal advice to censor me from asking the last CEO any
relevant questions about the financial control of the charity.
Considering how costly and embarrassing the lack of adequate trustee
oversight of finances has worked out to be, I would hope you might
realise that my concern for the charity were valid. You might even
find a way to let me positively help you again with the organization
you are responsible for.

Hopefully this will be a part of your excellent, if significantly
delayed, volunteer consultation.

Fae

On 5 June 2015 at 15:38, Michael Maggs <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> improved, strengthened and fleshed out.
>>
>> We would like your feedback, either online or in person at our next
>> Volunteer Strategy Gathering
>> <https://wikimedia.org.uk/wiki/Volunteer_Strategy_Gathering/July_2015> on
>> Saturday 25th July 2015, in London. For more information, see the links on
>> the right.
>>
>> Feedback, comments and discussion are more than welcome on the discussion
>> page, or you can email chairatwikimedia.org.uk if you have feedback you
>> would prefer not to make public.
>>
>> To read the full details on wiki see here:
>> https://wikimedia.org.uk/wiki/Volunteer_strategy_consultation_2015
>>
>> Best regards
>>

>> Michael
>>

>> _______
>> Michael Maggs
>>
>> Chair, Wikimedia UK

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Changing our volunteer structure at Wikimedia UK

Jan-Bart de Vreede-3
Hi All,

Despite Fae’s attempt to derail the conversation and make this all about him (which I am guessing it isn’t) I would like to applaud this initiative.

I hope that in the coming months you can keep us all up to date on your experiences. All of the movement entities are struggling to find meaningful and effective ways to keep people involved in all levels of our decision making. The different approaches in the initiative described below should teach us a lot and I am glad that you are taking such an active approach!

Thanks!

Jan-Bart

> [...]
>
> We would like your feedback, either online or in person at our next Volunteer Strategy Gathering <https://wikimedia.org.uk/wiki/Volunteer_Strategy_Gathering/July_2015> on Saturday 25th July 2015, in London. For more information, see the links on the right.
>
> Feedback, comments and discussion are more than welcome on the discussion page, or you can email chairatwikimedia.org.uk if you have feedback you would prefer not to make public.
>
> To read the full details on wiki see here: https://wikimedia.org.uk/wiki/Volunteer_strategy_consultation_2015
>
> Best regards
>

> Michael
>

> _______
> Michael Maggs
>
> Chair, Wikimedia UK

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Changing our volunteer structure at Wikimedia UK

Nathan Awrich
On Fri, Jun 5, 2015 at 11:53 AM, Fæ <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The bizarre part of this is that the charity you are currently
> chairman of, does not do any meaningful checks on members when they
> join (for five quid).
>
> The fact remains that only one person is excluded from membership,
> voting or taking part in advisory committees, and as a previous
> chairman of the charity, you would think I would be more trustworthy
> with charity owned equipment than people who may well be using fake
> names or temporary addresses.
>
> The real-politic is that you chose to spend a large amount of donated
> funds on legal advice to censor me from asking the last CEO any
> relevant questions about the financial control of the charity.
> Considering how costly and embarrassing the lack of adequate trustee
> oversight of finances has worked out to be, I would hope you might
> realise that my concern for the charity were valid. You might even
> find a way to let me positively help you again with the organization
> you are responsible for.
>
> Hopefully this will be a part of your excellent, if significantly
> delayed, volunteer consultation.
>
> Fae

Fae - why do you think you alone, of all people and despite your history of
contributions, have been excluded from membership, moderated on the list,
barred from voting, etc.? Is it merely because you pointed out hard truths?
If that's the case, then certainly excluding you must be unjust. But under
the assumption that the leaders and members of WMUK are generally
reasonable people, it's hard to imagine there aren't other factors.

In any case, it might be helpful if your personal issues with WMUK didn't
derail all other public discussions (on wikimedia-l or elsewhere) about the
charity itself.