Quantcast

[Wikimedia-l] Closure of Beta Wikiversity

[Wikimedia-l] Closure of Beta Wikiversity

Milos Rancic-2
There is the proposal for moving Beta Wikiversity into the Incubator
[1]. According to the Closing project policy [2], the decision about
closing projects is something done by particular members of the
Language committee (while the Board could veto the decision).

However, this is an unusual request with the positive positive outcome
and I would like to hear wider community explicitly again.

My position is -- and unless I get good arguments against I would send
it to the Board -- that Beta Wikiversity should be closed, as it's a
generator of projects lead by lunatics. "Academic freedom" has not
been fruitful and any new request for Wikiversity should pass regular
Incubator rules, inside of the curator environment fully trusted by
the Language committee.

The decision would be to move relevant content to the Incubator and
let Incubator curators decide if any of the Beta Wikiversity admins
should have adminship transferred. Beta Wikiversity would be closed
and after some time (a year or two), it should be deleted.

[1] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Proposals_for_closing_projects/Move_Beta_Wikiversity_to_Incubator
[2] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Closing_projects_policy

--
Milos

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Closure of Beta Wikiversity

Lodewijk
Hi Milos,

Thanks for the pointer. On the proposal page, I'm missing a somewhat clear
and straightforward summary of the arguments in favor and against closing
(why is the request made, and what was considered). That seems like
valuable information for such discussion.

Would you see the opportunity to summarize your view (or of the views of
the proposers) on the top of the page?

Thanks in advance!

Lodewijk

On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 1:14 PM, Lodewijk <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thanks for the pointer. On the proposal page, I'm missing a somewhat clear
> and straightforward summary of the arguments in favor and against closing
> (why is the request made, and what was considered). That seems like
> valuable information for such discussion.
>
> Would you see the opportunity to summarize your view (or of the views of
> the proposers) on the top of the page?

In a little bit different words, I would say that Wikiversity has big
ratio of embarrassment per language edition (I would avoid naming
them, as they could be easily traced to the particular persons).
Having in mind that Beta Wikiversity is presently the incubator for
those projects, my position is that we should normalize it by moving
the incubating process to the Incubator.

There are other reasons listed here [1], most of which could be
applied for Multilingual Wikisource, as well, but I see no reason why
to the same with it, as the community of Multilingual Wikisource is
doing a good job.

[1] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Proposals_for_closing_projects/Move_Beta_Wikiversity_to_Incubator#Arguments_in_favor

--
Milos

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Closure of Beta Wikiversity

Amir E. Aharoni

> There are other reasons listed here [1], most of which could be
> applied for Multilingual Wikisource, as well, but I see no reason why
> to the same with it, as the community of Multilingual Wikisource is
> doing a good job.

Pretty please, let's not even mention Multilngual Wikisource here. There is
no plan to close it and it's not related to this discussion at all.

This discussion is only about Beta Wikiversity.

http://aharoni.wordpress.com
‪“We're living in pieces,
I want to live in peace.” – T. Moore‬

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Closure of Beta Wikiversity

Milos Rancic-2
On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 1:32 PM, Amir E. Aharoni
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Pretty please, let's not even mention Multilngual Wikisource here. There is
> no plan to close it and it's not related to this discussion at all.
>
> This discussion is only about Beta Wikiversity.

True. The problem is that the request page has been created to cover
both projects and it's full of reasoning which cover Multilingual
Wikisource, as well; so I wanted to be clear that we are not talking
about it :)

--
Milos

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Closure of Beta Wikiversity

Samuele Mantani
I'm also talking about beta.Wikiversity administrator. I am opposed to this
proposal because I think it is advantageous to keep beta.Wikiversity for a
variety of reasons: to help create new Wikiversity and to have a special
project could stimulate the creation of new Wikiversity (also note that
Wikiversity is The project with less language versions). Plus having
beta.Wikiversity is easier to monitor the creation of new pages in the
various wikiversity hosts on beta.Wikiversity also the beta function is to
be a reference point for the communities of various Wikiversity in any
language (eg a few months ago there We are coordinated and decided there to
edit the Wikiversity logo) both for proposals that relate to the project
and to help individual wikiversities in introducing into original searches.
In addition, beta.Wikiversity would be the place to test experimentation on
the project or to try extensions (eg Education_Program and Quiz) all this
if beta.Wikiversity was moved to an incubator would not be possible.

User:Samuele2002

Il 16/Mag/2017 01:36 PM, "Milos Rancic" <[hidden email]> ha scritto:

> On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 1:32 PM, Amir E. Aharoni
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Pretty please, let's not even mention Multilngual Wikisource here. There
> is
> > no plan to close it and it's not related to this discussion at all.
> >
> > This discussion is only about Beta Wikiversity.
>
> True. The problem is that the request page has been created to cover
> both projects and it's full of reasoning which cover Multilingual
> Wikisource, as well; so I wanted to be clear that we are not talking
> about it :)
>
> --
> Milos

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Closure of Beta Wikiversity

Lodewijk
Hi Milosh,

I'm afraid your arguments are not getting across to me. I understand you
don't like the quality, but I don't see the connection at all with the
structure it is set up in.

Also, while I appreciate you make the attempt here, you didn't add any
argumentation at all to this page you linked. If you go to that page, you
mostly see discussion from 2013 and 2015. No indication whatsoever of what
is the request, why it matters and why it would be open. No summary of
arguments, or reasoning.

If you want people to take this inquiry seriously, I suggest you look into
providing more structured information first. Otherwise, it's not hard to
predict the outcome of this round: nothing. Add the key information on the
top of the page please, if you're linking to it.

Best,
Lodewijk