[Wikimedia-l] Commons / OTRS is broken

jmh649
OTRS does not even bother replying to the consents I send them. Thus the
images I have received releases for get deleted. Going forwards I am simply
uploading to En Wikipedia. Not ideal but not sure what the solution is.

--
James Heilman
MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian

The Wikipedia Open Textbook of Medicine
www.opentextbookofmedicine.com

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Commons / OTRS is broken

John Cummings-2
Depending on where the content is coming from uploading the images to
Flickr and then importing them may be an option. When I worked for the
Science Museum we simply changed the licence of some of the images on their
Flickr account and I used Flickr2Commons to import them, it also records
the attribution and which CC licence the images used. I'm currently working
with UNESCO to release some of their archive and will most probably suggest
this route which as a bonus creates a second large audience for the content
on Flickr.

Hope this is helpful

John
On 2 Feb 2015 22:52, "James Heilman" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> OTRS does not even bother replying to the consents I send them. Thus the
> images I have received releases for get deleted. Going forwards I am simply
> uploading to En Wikipedia. Not ideal but not sure what the solution is.
>
> --
> James Heilman
> MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian
>
> The Wikipedia Open Textbook of Medicine
> www.opentextbookofmedicine.com

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Commons / OTRS is broken

jmh649
Someone has thankfully read this issue and has agreed to deal with it. Many
thanks to the person involved :-) It is a huge amount of work to get
release for a single medical image. If commons admins wish the details they
can email me.

James

On Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 9:52 PM, James Heilman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> OTRS does not even bother replying to the consents I send them. Thus the
> images I have received releases for get deleted. Going forwards I am simply
> uploading to En Wikipedia. Not ideal but not sure what the solution is.
>
> --
> James Heilman
> MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian
>
> The Wikipedia Open Textbook of Medicine
> www.opentextbookofmedicine.com

--
James Heilman
MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian

The Wikipedia Open Textbook of Medicine
www.opentextbookofmedicine.com

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Commons / OTRS is broken

Federico Leva (Nemo)
James Heilman, 03/02/2015 05:52:
> not sure what the solution is.

Usually, following the docs: «use {{subst:OP}} to tell others that it's
in progress»
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:OTRS#Templates_to_use_on_image_pages

Nemo

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Commons / OTRS is broken

Jeevan Jose
We have a 57 days backlog now (
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:OTRS/backlog) and we are
processing first-come, first-served. In case of emergencies, please make a
note at https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:OTRS/Noticeboard or on
my talk page.

Regards,
Jee

On Tue, Feb 3, 2015 at 10:57 AM, John Cummings <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Depending on where the content is coming from uploading the images to
> Flickr and then importing them may be an option. When I worked for the
> Science Museum we simply changed the licence of some of the images on their
> Flickr account and I used Flickr2Commons to import them, it also records
> the attribution and which CC licence the images used. I'm currently working
> with UNESCO to release some of their archive and will most probably suggest
> this route which as a bonus creates a second large audience for the content
> on Flickr.
>
> Hope this is helpful
>
> John
> On 2 Feb 2015 22:52, "James Heilman" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > OTRS does not even bother replying to the consents I send them. Thus the
> > images I have received releases for get deleted. Going forwards I am
> simply
> > uploading to En Wikipedia. Not ideal but not sure what the solution is.
> >
> > --
> > James Heilman
> > MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian
> >
> > The Wikipedia Open Textbook of Medicine
> > www.opentextbookofmedicine.com

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Commons / OTRS is broken

Andy Mabbett-2
On 3 February 2015 at 06:56, Jeevan Jose <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We have a 57 days backlog now (
> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:OTRS/backlog) and we are
> processing first-come, first-served

Perhaps if OTRS volunteers weren't treated so badly *by OTRS admins*,
you'd have more people to help out?

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Commons / OTRS is broken

Andreas Kolbe-2
While this may be a different OTRS queue, people have told me in the past
that OTRS can take weeks to reply, even in the case of acute BLP problems
such as the one described in this BBC Newsnight interview (time code 2:54):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eg9O-e5KGdQ#t=174

I've heard this both from an affected BLP subject and from people with OTRS
access. Example:

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Wikipedia:Requests_for_comment/COI&diff=479583654&oldid=479583284

I've seen this happen on OTRS time and time again: real tickets about
unbalanced articles do go unanswered for weeks. [...]
[[User:Jclemens|Jclemens]] ([[User talk:Jclemens|talk]]) 02:50, 1 March
2012 (UTC)

Are such long waits still common?

Andreas

On Tue, Feb 3, 2015 at 6:56 AM, Jeevan Jose <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We have a 57 days backlog now (
> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:OTRS/backlog) and we are
> processing first-come, first-served. In case of emergencies, please make a
> note at https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:OTRS/Noticeboard or on
> my talk page.
>
> Regards,
> Jee
>
> On Tue, Feb 3, 2015 at 10:57 AM, John Cummings <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Depending on where the content is coming from uploading the images to
> > Flickr and then importing them may be an option. When I worked for the
> > Science Museum we simply changed the licence of some of the images on
> their
> > Flickr account and I used Flickr2Commons to import them, it also records
> > the attribution and which CC licence the images used. I'm currently
> working
> > with UNESCO to release some of their archive and will most probably
> suggest
> > this route which as a bonus creates a second large audience for the
> content
> > on Flickr.
> >
> > Hope this is helpful
> >
> > John
> > On 2 Feb 2015 22:52, "James Heilman" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > OTRS does not even bother replying to the consents I send them. Thus
> the
> > > images I have received releases for get deleted. Going forwards I am
> > simply
> > > uploading to En Wikipedia. Not ideal but not sure what the solution is.
> > >
> > > --
> > > James Heilman
> > > MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian
> > >
> > > The Wikipedia Open Textbook of Medicine
> > > www.opentextbookofmedicine.com

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Commons / OTRS is broken

Rjd0060 -
James,

I realize your tickets were already resolved but I thought I'd take a
moment to clarify the issues that cause the delays in response.

The Wikimedia Volunteer Response Team ("OTRS") relies on the generous work
of hundreds of volunteers from all over the world to handle hundreds of
thousands of e-mails each year.

The scope of these tickets range from vandalism reports or technical issues
to problems with biographies of living people and other generic edit
requests, and dozens of other categories.  A large percentage of the
overall tickets received are "permissions" tickets -- e-mails used to
verify the release of content on Wikimedia sites, typically from third
parties.

Like every project that Wikimedians work on, there are various things that
the volunteers are tasked to handle. The agents who take on this role do so
in addition to their existing editing activities, often at the cost of
their own free time. Due to the trust and patience required to handle these
public-facing aspects of Wikimedia, the pool of available volunteers tends
to be smaller than in other areas of the projects. Unfortunately, backlogs
can occasionally crop up and take a bit of time to deal with, especially in
the more complicated e-mails (like BLPs), that can take up to an hour to
process. It happens on every large Wikimedia project -- where some backlogs
never get cleared (just look at the English Wikipedia’s articles with
unsourced statements! [1])-- so it is something I believe almost all of us
can relate to in one way or another.

We had very good queue levels for much of 2014, but began noticing an
increase in permissions and general information tickets (specifically in
the English language) around the end of the year. Unfortunately, the end of
the year typically shows higher than usual response times, likely because
of volunteer free time. While OTRS agents are very dedicated, answering
tickets can be stressful at times, so it’s not typically the type of thing
you’ll want to during holiday vacations. Pair those longer response times
with an increase in tickets because of our hard-working Wikimedians adding
content and submitting more permissions tickets in their holiday free time,
and it creates a bit of a backlog. :-)

Just as in other areas of our projects, backlogs are inevitable, especially
in the more mundane and tougher areas. However, our dedicated pool of
volunteers works diligently to clear these backlogs when they come up.
While, again, it’s a tough job that’s not for everyone, we always welcome
new applicants. Actually, we're continuously adding new agents. In 2014 we
added 62 new community queue accounts[2] to handle general information and
permissions inquiries. Additionally, our agent retention is better - we
lost about half as many agents in 2014 as we did in 2013. But finally, if
you really want to help with the backlogs, we’re always looking for great
new team members.  Feel free to throw up an application on
[[m:OTRS/Volunteering]] if you think you’d make a good agent and we’ll be
happy to review it.

Basically, OTRS is tough job that runs into backlogs just like any other
part of Wikimedia. However, we’re continuously working to add more agents
and clear those backlogs as soon as they start.

I hope this helps clarify the current issues.

Ryan // User:Rjd0060

(OTRS admin)

[1]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:All_articles_with_unsourced_statements

[2] Community queue accounts are OTRS accounts with access to queues that
answer general information inquiries about our projects, permissions and/or
photosubmissions tickets. Other types of accounts do not have answer these
tickets, but instead have access to a smaller subset of queues, such as
those related to the Foundation (e.g., donations), chapters, or advanced
rights on the projects (e.g., oversight, stewards). See
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/OTRS/Access_policy#Community_queues for
more information.

On Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 11:52 PM, James Heilman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> OTRS does not even bother replying to the consents I send them. Thus the
> images I have received releases for get deleted. Going forwards I am simply
> uploading to En Wikipedia. Not ideal but not sure what the solution is.
>
> --
> James Heilman
> MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian
>
> The Wikipedia Open Textbook of Medicine
> www.opentextbookofmedicine.com

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Commons / OTRS is broken

Andrea Zanni-2
Thanks Ryan for the clarification.
My question is: what could we ask, as a community, to the WMF, o to
chapters?
Is there some tool/task/workflow that could receive help from Wikimedia?
Maybe a new software, or some trusted agents in key position, or something
else.
What could speed up the volunteers work?

Aubrey

On Wed, Feb 4, 2015 at 11:38 AM, Rjd0060 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> tickets, but instead have access to a smaller subset of queues, such as
> those related to the Foundation (e.g., donations), chapters, or advanced
> rights on the projects (e.g., oversight, stewards). See
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/OTRS/Access_policy#Community_queues for
> more information.
>
> On Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 11:52 PM, James Heilman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > OTRS does not even bother replying to the consents I send them. Thus the
> > images I have received releases for get deleted. Going forwards I am
> simply
> > uploading to En Wikipedia. Not ideal but not sure what the solution is.
> >
> > --
> > James Heilman
> > MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian
> >
> > The Wikipedia Open Textbook of Medicine
> > www.opentextbookofmedicine.com

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Commons / OTRS is broken

Pierre-Selim

> Thanks Ryan for the clarification.
> My question is: what could we ask, as a community, to the WMF, o to
> chapters?
> Is there some tool/task/workflow that could receive help from Wikimedia?
> Maybe a new software, or some trusted agents in key position, or something
> else.
> What could speed up the volunteers work?

I would say:

   - Organize recruitements of new Agents (it can ben done by the community)
   - Organize training sessions (it can be done by the community and
   supported by WMF or Chapters)
   - Get a weekly summary of your OTRS queues in your inbox
   - Better software (I would put it last in priorities has it is a complex
   migration)

Sincerely,
Pierre-Selim

> [...]

> > those related to the Foundation (e.g., donations), chapters, or advanced
> > rights on the projects (e.g., oversight, stewards). See
> > https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/OTRS/Access_policy#Community_queues for
> > more information.
> >
> > On Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 11:52 PM, James Heilman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > OTRS does not even bother replying to the consents I send them. Thus
> the
> > > images I have received releases for get deleted. Going forwards I am
> > simply
> > > uploading to En Wikipedia. Not ideal but not sure what the solution is.
> > >
> > > --
> > > James Heilman
> > > MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian
> > >
> > > The Wikipedia Open Textbook of Medicine
> > > www.opentextbookofmedicine.com

Pierre-Selim

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Commons / OTRS is broken

Tomasz Ganicz
Well - regarding permission-commons ques the current problem with mass
upload agreements is Common's regulation that ticket-templates has to be
added by OTRS volunteers themselves, except, when you are using GLAM tool,
but GLAM tool is tailored for really huge mass uploads as it requires lot
of preliminary preparations. So, there is no good path for mid-size mass
uploads - say from 10 till 100-500 files.

This is incredibly boring job to add 100 templates to 100 files. There are
some semiautomatic tools for this - but it still requires small programming
and/or direct personal assistance - with at least 2 clicks per file.  So
OTRS volunteers - when they see agreements for for example100 pictures -
are avoiding this, becasue handing this means not only aswering for E-mail
but also 100 boring edits...

I was addressing the issue on OTRS e-mail list, around a year ago, but the
answer was, that this is not the problem. But in fact - whenever there is
such semi-mass-upload agreement - you can observe that OTRS volunteers are
avoiding answering them.

> [...]
> > answer general information inquiries about our projects, permissions
> and/or
> > photosubmissions tickets. Other types of accounts do not have answer
> these
> > tickets, but instead have access to a smaller subset of queues, such as
> > those related to the Foundation (e.g., donations), chapters, or advanced
> > rights on the projects (e.g., oversight, stewards). See
> > https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/OTRS/Access_policy#Community_queues for
> > more information.
> >
> > On Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 11:52 PM, James Heilman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > OTRS does not even bother replying to the consents I send them. Thus
> the
> > > images I have received releases for get deleted. Going forwards I am
> > simply
> > > uploading to En Wikipedia. Not ideal but not sure what the solution is.

Tomek "Polimerek" Ganicz
http://www.ganicz.pl/poli/

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Commons / OTRS is broken

George William Herbert
Aubrey -

It's not a tools problem, it's a time and number of people problem.

It necessarily draws upon the smaller pool of more stable, mature responsible levelheaded good judgement Wikipedians, who are in short supply on-Wiki now much less available for lots of extra off-Wiki, poorly understood or (community) acknowledged work.

Speaking of which, tomorrow I'm going to reapply to reactivate my OTRS, as there's a need and I have bandwidth again...

George William Herbert
Sent from my iPhone

> [...]
>> tickets, but instead have access to a smaller subset of queues, such as
>> those related to the Foundation (e.g., donations), chapters, or advanced
>> rights on the projects (e.g., oversight, stewards). See
>> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/OTRS/Access_policy#Community_queues for
>> more information.
>>
>>> On Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 11:52 PM, James Heilman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> OTRS does not even bother replying to the consents I send them. Thus the
>>> images I have received releases for get deleted. Going forwards I am
>> simply
>>> uploading to En Wikipedia. Not ideal but not sure what the solution is.
>>>
>>> --
>>> James Heilman
>>> MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian
>>>
>>> The Wikipedia Open Textbook of Medicine
>>> www.opentextbookofmedicine.com

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Commons / OTRS is broken

Michael Maggs
I would like to see a bot or tool that could provide visibility of statistics on the various OTRS queues in near-real time. At present there is no automated way to see on Commons or any of the Wikipedias that backlogs even exist, let alone see how they vary with time, what the average time to first response is, time to resolve/close etc.

It would be great if we had a template I could add to a Commons page so I could see this information every time I login.

Michael

Michael
Michael

On Wed, Feb 4, 2015 at 10:38 AM, Rjd0060 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Unfortunately, backlogs
> can occasionally crop up and take a bit of time to deal with, especially in
> the more complicated e-mails (like BLPs), that can take up to an hour to
> process.

Just for the avoidance of doubt – when you say these e-mails "can take up
to an hour to process", I presume you mean that it takes one hour just to
read them and understand the complaint. Am I understanding you correctly?

Given the nature of the beast, I am sure you must sometimes be getting
lengthy (or repetitive) complaints of unclear merit that require
significant on-wiki and off-wiki investigation just to understand whether
the complaint is justified or not. And I imagine that coming up with an
appropriate response and identifying a suitable course of action is another
task altogether.

Bearing in mind that all of this is volunteer work, I'd assume that the
more difficult cases sometimes languish for want of an intrepid volunteer
happy to take them on.

In your experience, what is the median time between receipt of a
BLP-related e-mail complaint and a response being sent out, and what is the
maximum time it can take?

> It happens on every large Wikimedia project -- where some backlogs
> never get cleared (just look at the English Wikipedia’s articles with
> unsourced statements! [1])-- so it is something I believe almost all of us
> can relate to in one way or another.

I'd like to second Michael Maggs' suggestion – having real-time statistics
on OTRS queues available online would aid visibility and transparency
(assuming such data aren't publicly available already some place I am
unaware of). It might also help recruitment, and bring in volunteers to
help with backlogs and bottlenecks.

Andreas
Krd

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Commons / OTRS is broken

Krd
Hello.

You know https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:OTRS/backlog ?

On Wed, Feb 4, 2015 at 4:33 PM, Tomasz Ganicz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Well - regarding permission-commons ques the current problem with mass
> upload agreements is Common's regulation that ticket-templates has to be
> added by OTRS volunteers themselves, except, when you are using GLAM tool,
> but GLAM tool is tailored for really huge mass uploads as it requires lot
> of preliminary preparations. So, there is no good path for mid-size mass
> uploads - say from 10 till 100-500 files.
>
> This is incredibly boring job to add 100 templates to 100 files. There are
> some semiautomatic tools for this - but it still requires small programming
> and/or direct personal assistance - with at least 2 clicks per file.  So
> OTRS volunteers - when they see agreements for for example100 pictures -
> are avoiding this, becasue handing this means not only aswering for E-mail
> but also 100 boring edits...
>
> I was addressing the issue on OTRS e-mail list, around a year ago, but the
> answer was, that this is not the problem. But in fact - whenever there is
> such semi-mass-upload agreement - you can observe that OTRS volunteers are
> avoiding answering them.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:VisualFileChange.js can be used for
mass edits.

Jee

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Commons / OTRS is broken

Michael Maggs
Yes, I do. That is updated manually, at irregular intervals, applies
only to one Commons list, and doesn't provide anything like the
information that should I think be available.

Michael

> Krd <mailto:[hidden email]>
> 4 February 2015 11:55
> Hello.
>

> You know https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:OTRS/backlog ?

> Michael Maggs <mailto:[hidden email]>
> 4 February 2015 11:11
> I would like to see a bot or tool that could provide visibility of
> statistics on the various OTRS queues in near-real time. At present
> there is no automated way to see on Commons or any of the Wikipedias
> that backlogs even exist, let alone see how they vary with time, what
> the average time to first response is, time to resolve/close etc.
>
> It would be great if we had a template I could add to a Commons page
> so I could see this information every time I login.
>
> Michael
>
> Michael
> Michael

> James Heilman <mailto:[hidden email]>
> 3 February 2015 04:52
> OTRS does not even bother replying to the consents I send them. Thus the
> images I have received releases for get deleted. Going forwards I am
> simply
> uploading to En Wikipedia. Not ideal but not sure what the solution is.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Commons / OTRS is broken

Michael Maggs
Or AWB, though neither option provides the sort of efficiency that is
needed tio deal easily with the sort of issues that Tomasz mentions.

Michael

Krd

Am 02/04/15 um 13:14 schrieb Michael Maggs:
> Yes, I do. That is updated manually, at irregular intervals, applies
> only to one Commons list, and doesn't provide anything like the
> information that should I think be available.

...which is in detail?

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Commons / OTRS is broken

Fæ
If either a public API were implemented, or a mirror of the
(non-confidential parts at least) database were available on WMFlabs,
then volunteers could happily generate all sorts of reports and tools,
which would probably be far more effective than expecting WMF
development to create new reporting pages that are publicly visible
(noting that some non-public reports are available to those chosen for
OTRS access). This has all been raised before, so anyone with a
technical interest would do well to contribute to
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/tag/wikimedia-otrs/ so that these
proposals can be prioritized.

As I'm one of the keen ex-volunteers bounced out of the system a few
months ago without any sensible explanation, it comes as no surprise
that there is a shortage of appropriately experienced volunteers that
can help with Commons image donations.

Fae