[Wikimedia-l] Congratulations to the first four organizations to receive Simple Annual Plan Grants!

[Wikimedia-l] Congratulations to the first four organizations to receive Simple Annual Plan Grants!

Winifred Olliff
Dear Wikimedia colleagues:

<http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:IdeaLab/Reimagining_WMF_grants/Outcomes>
that identified a gap in support for organizations and groups with annual
plans that are not part of the FDC process
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:APG>, we on the WMF's Community
Resources Team created a new pilot process for Simple Annual Plan Grants
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:APG/Simple>. These grants are for
groups and organizations that need funds for operating and program expenses
up to US$100K (or its equivalent in another currency).

This process has been developed in partnership with a committee of eight
volunteers <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:APG/Simple/Committee>,
who make recommendations about each grant application, which are then
approved by WMF staff. I would like to recognize the outstanding work of
our inaugural committee: Addis Wang, Anders Wennersten, Kiril Simeonovski,
Kirill Lokshin, Ido Ivri, Nataliia Tymkiv, Pete Ekman, and Sydney Poore.
Besides producing four quality recommendations this month (found on the
discussion pages of the four applications
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:APG/Simple/About#applications>),
they've done invaluable work to define how this new funding option will
work, and offered constructive and supportive feedback to the applicants.

I also want to recognize and congratulate our first four grantees:
Wikimedia Czech Republic, Wikimedia Eesti, Wikimedia Espana, and Shared
Knowledge (user group in Macedonia). Each grantee did an outstanding job
engaging during every phase of the grants process, and we are confident
that each is preparing for an amazing year in 2016. Many thanks to all of
the dedicated volunteers and staff at each organization that made these
quality applications happen, including Bojan Jankuloski, Jan Loužek, Kiril
Simeonevski, Kaarel Vaidla, Luis Ulzurrun, Santiago Navarro, Vojtěch Dostál
and the volunteer boards and supportive community members at each of these
organizations.

Finally, thank you to our colleagues Janice Tud, Siko Bouterse, Stephen
LaPorte, and the WMF finance team, for supporting these grantees behind the
scenes. Thanks to Katy Love, Kacie Harold, and the entire Community
Resources Team, past and current Funds Dissemination Committee members,
current and past APG applicants, and particularly Ravishankar
Ayyakkannu, for sharing their ideas and experiences leading up to this
idea. Special thanks also to Tony Souter and Bence Damokos for their
substantial feedback during the early phases of the pilot's development.

Are you interested in learning more about how the new funding option could
work for your group or organization? Please Email me to start a discussion
about your organization's application, and read more about how to apply
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:APG/Simple/Eligibility>.
Applications will be accepted throughout 2016.

Best wishes and congratulations to all our colleagues who received grants
in 2015, or helped to improve the grants process!

Winifred

Helpful links for Simple Annual Plan Grants:
*Apply here: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:APG/Simple/Eligibility
*About the program: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:APG/Simple/About
*Committee: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:APG/Simple/Committee

--
Winifred Olliff
Program Officer

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Congratulations to the first four organizations to receive Simple Annual Plan Grants!

Sam Klein
Thank you Winifred - very good to see this has taken off.   SJ

On Tue, Dec 29, 2015 at 1:10 PM, Winifred Olliff <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> current and past APG applicants, and particularly Ravishankar
> Ayyakkannu, for sharing their ideas and experiences leading up to this
> idea. Special thanks also to Tony Souter and Bence Damokos for their
> substantial feedback during the early phases of the pilot's development.
>
> Are you interested in learning more about how the new funding option could
> work for your group or organization? Please Email me to start a discussion
> about your organization's application, and read more about how to apply
> <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:APG/Simple/Eligibility>.
> Applications will be accepted throughout 2016.
>
> Best wishes and congratulations to all our colleagues who received grants
> in 2015, or helped to improve the grants process!
>
> Winifred
>
> Helpful links for Simple Annual Plan Grants:

Samuel Klein          @metasj          w:user:sj          +1 617 529 4266

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Congratulations to the first four organizations to receive Simple Annual Plan Grants!

ido ivri
...And thank you Winifred, for working tirelessly to facilitate this
process, and overcome the difficulties of having to coordinate 8 different
timezones, as well as improving the S-APG process on-the-fly. Remarkable!

I look forward to participating in the next cycle ;)

Happy holidays,

--
-Ido

"There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary,
and those who don't."

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Congratulations to the first four organizations to receive Simple Annual Plan Grants!

Tanweer Morshed
Congratulations to the grantees and the committee members, who have helped
throughout the process!

Regards
Tanweer

On Wed, Dec 30, 2015 at 9:30 AM, ido ivri <[hidden email]> wrote:

> ...And thank you Winifred, for working tirelessly to facilitate this
> process, and overcome the difficulties of having to coordinate 8 different
> timezones, as well as improving the S-APG process on-the-fly. Remarkable!
>
> I look forward to participating in the next cycle ;)
>
> Happy holidays,
>
> --
> -Ido
>
> "There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary,
> and those who don't."

Tanweer Morshed

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Congratulations to the first four organizations to receive Simple Annual Plan Grants!

Santiago Navarro
Thank you Winifred for your words. I remember a discussion with Katy
Love in Mexico City and she shared with me that an APG needs very hard
work. After seeing a simple APG process I can say, yes, she was right.
This king of new grants is a new oportunity for groups that want to
apply for their first annual grant. I know that we must work a lot to
spend the money of the community the best as possible and get the more
impact as possible.

I want to say thank you to Winifred, but also Katy, Kacie and all the
people who helped us in with this. And of course, to the committee for
their recommendations.

El 2015-12-29 20:10, Winifred Olliff escribió:

> [...]
> this
> idea. Special thanks also to Tony Souter and Bence Damokos for their
> substantial feedback during the early phases of the pilot's
> development.
>
> Are you interested in learning more about how the new funding option
> could
> work for your group or organization? Please Email me to start a
> discussion
> about your organization's application, and read more about how to
> apply
> <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:APG/Simple/Eligibility>.
> Applications will be accepted throughout 2016.
>
> Best wishes and congratulations to all our colleagues who received
> grants
> in 2015, or helped to improve the grants process!
>
> Winifred
>
> Helpful links for Simple Annual Plan Grants:

Presidente
Wikimedia España
www.wikimedia.es

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Congratulations to the first four organizations to receive Simple Annual Plan Grants!

Katy Love
I am late to this, but I also want to add my congratulations to the Simple
APG grantees, the committee, and to Winifred! Well done!

Cheers, Katy