[Wikimedia-l] Content showcases? Examples needed

[Wikimedia-l] Content showcases? Examples needed

Joseph Seddon-6
Hey Everyone!

I have a question. Within the movement, what are the best online showcases
of our content, movement and volunteers?

Context: We've been featuring the blog post about the Wiki Loves Monuments
winners in thank you email and banners to our readers and donors.

We want to showcase our best content to our readers and donors and are
looking for ideas about how we can do that.

Got examples? Ideas? More complex suggestions for next year or future years?

--
Seddon

*Community and Audience Engagement Associate*
*Advancement (Fundraising), Wikimedia Foundation*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Content showcases? Examples needed

Paulo Santos Perneta
Hi,

Two quick suggestions:

   - Picture of the year
   - Integrated and successful GLAMs, where valuable content from GLAM
   partners is reused in various Wikimedia projects, preferentially in an
   integrated way, and already being successfully used in educational
   institutions for teaching.

Cheers,
Paulo

Joseph Seddon <[hidden email]> escreveu no dia sexta, 11/01/2019
à(s) 13:08:

> Hey Everyone!
>
> I have a question. Within the movement, what are the best online showcases
> of our content, movement and volunteers?
>
> Context: We've been featuring the blog post about the Wiki Loves Monuments
> winners in thank you email and banners to our readers and donors.
>
> We want to showcase our best content to our readers and donors and are
> looking for ideas about how we can do that.
>
> Got examples? Ideas? More complex suggestions for next year or future
> years?
>
> --
> Seddon
>
> *Community and Audience Engagement Associate*
> *Advancement (Fundraising), Wikimedia Foundation*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Content showcases? Examples needed

jmh649
The work of Dr. Subas Chandra Rout from India who has translated more than
1,000 medical articles into the language Odia. The language is spoken by
nearly 40 million people and is not supported by machine translation. For
many of the articles this is the first time content has existed on the
topic online.

Details on Odia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Odia_language

A list of some of the translated articles
https://or.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E0%AC%B6%E0%AD%8D%E0%AC%B0%E0%AD%87%E0%AC%A3%E0%AD%80:%E0%AC%9A%E0%AC%BF%E0%AC%95%E0%AC%BF%E0%AC%A4%E0%AD%8D%E0%AC%B8%E0%AC%BE_%E0%AC%AC%E0%AC%BF%E0%AC%9C%E0%AD%8D%E0%AC%9E%E0%AC%BE%E0%AC%A8

An example of one of the translations
https://or.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E0%AC%86%E0%AC%98%E0%AC%BE%E0%AC%A4%E0%AD%8B%E0%AC%A4%E0%AD%8D%E0%AC%A4%E0%AC%B0_%E0%AC%9A%E0%AC%BE%E0%AC%AA_%E0%AC%AC%E0%AD%87%E0%AC%AE%E0%AC%BE%E0%AC%B0%E0%AD%80

Best
James

On Fri, Jan 11, 2019 at 6:20 AM Paulo Santos Perneta <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Two quick suggestions:
>
>    - Picture of the year
>    - Integrated and successful GLAMs, where valuable content from GLAM
>    partners is reused in various Wikimedia projects, preferentially in an
>    integrated way, and already being successfully used in educational
>    institutions for teaching.
>
> Cheers,
> Paulo
>
> Joseph Seddon <[hidden email]> escreveu no dia sexta, 11/01/2019
> à(s) 13:08:
>
> > Hey Everyone!
> >
> > I have a question. Within the movement, what are the best online
> showcases
> > of our content, movement and volunteers?
> >
> > Context: We've been featuring the blog post about the Wiki Loves
> Monuments
> > winners in thank you email and banners to our readers and donors.
> >
> > We want to showcase our best content to our readers and donors and are
> > looking for ideas about how we can do that.
> >
> > Got examples? Ideas? More complex suggestions for next year or future
> > years?
> >
> > --
> > Seddon
> >
> > *Community and Audience Engagement Associate*
> > *Advancement (Fundraising), Wikimedia Foundation*

James Heilman
MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Content showcases? Examples needed

metasj
You can make quite lovely little images by making text-wrapped squares w/
lede-sentence text.
I did this once to auto-generate thumbnails for txt files; it may work even
better w/ a little bolding + link highlighting.  That might work for
banners, as well as having a page-style overview.

//S