[Wikimedia-l] Copyright on Xrays

jmh649
There are two things if the images are not copyrightable:

1) If users add images from lets say a textbook. Will someone on commons
simply delete them and thus it would be a waste of time.

2) Do we exposure either ourselves or the WMF to legal problems. And if so
is this important enough to warrant.

--
James Heilman
MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian

The Wikipedia Open Textbook of Medicine
www.opentextbookofmedicine.com

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Copyright on Xrays

Birgitte_sb

On Aug 22, 2012, at 8:02 AM, James Heilman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> There are two things if the images are not copyrightable:
>
> 1) If users add images from lets say a textbook. Will someone on commons
> simply delete them and thus it would be a waste of time.
>
> 2) Do we exposure either ourselves or the WMF to legal problems. And if so
> is this important enough to warrant.
>
> -

If they are not copyrightable, they will qualify a free content.  However, I would imagine we could obtain better quality images than those from textbooks. There may legal ramifications that have nothing to do with copyright, but (assuming all identifiable information is removed) I cannot think of any myself. Using images that are in anyway identifiable without permission of the person, is of course  bad in numerous ways.  Besides the various privacy laws, it would be in violation of the Nuremberg Code.  And any editors who may be connected, or wish to be connected in the future, to academic research will not want to be associated with such a thing even though it does exactly apply to Wikipedia.

Birgitte SB