[Wikimedia-l] De-Recognition of Affiliates with Long-standing Non-Compliance

[Wikimedia-l] De-Recognition of Affiliates with Long-standing Non-Compliance

Maor Malul
Dear all,

Recognition as a Wikimedia affiliate - a chapter, thematic organization,
or user group - is a privilege that allows an independent group to
officially use the Wikimedia name to further the Wikimedia mission.
While most Wikimedia affiliates adhere to the basic compliance standards
set forth in their agreements with the Wikimedia Foundation, a protocol
has been developed to address the exceptional cases when a Wikimedia
affiliate does not meet basic compliance standards and their continued
recognition as a Wikimedia affiliate presents a risk to the Wikimedia
movement. This protocol is outlined at
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_movement_affiliates/Protocol_for_noncompliant_Wikimedia_movement_affiliates

In the past year, the Affiliations Committee - with support from
Wikimedia Foundation staff - has made a concerted effort to address a
handful of chapters with long-standing issues of non-compliance. As a
result, in the coming days and months, a small number of chapters that
have been unable to return to compliance through their efforts in the
past year will not have their chapter agreements renewed. As a
consequence, these organizations will no longer have the additional
rights to use the Wikimedia trademarks, including the Wikimedia name,
that had been granted under those agreements.

For a list of affiliates and their compliance status, please consult the
reports page on Meta; there is also a page that lists formerly active
affiliates. If you have questions about what this means for community
members in the affected affiliates’ geographic area or language scope,
we have put together a very basic FAQ, which may be found at
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_movement_affiliates/Affiliate_derecognition_FAQ

Regards,
M.

--
"*Jülüjain wane mmakat* ein kapülain tü alijunakalirua jee wayuukanairua
junain ekerolaa alümüin supüshuwayale etijaanaka. Ayatashi waya junain."

Re: [Wikimedia-l] De-Recognition of Affiliates with Long-standing Non-Compliance

Joseph Fox
It looks like the page Maor refers to near the end there is this one:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Reports

Joe

On Sat, 4 Feb 2017 at 15:06 Maor Malul <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> Recognition as a Wikimedia affiliate - a chapter, thematic organization,
> or user group - is a privilege that allows an independent group to
> officially use the Wikimedia name to further the Wikimedia mission.
> While most Wikimedia affiliates adhere to the basic compliance standards
> set forth in their agreements with the Wikimedia Foundation, a protocol
> has been developed to address the exceptional cases when a Wikimedia
> affiliate does not meet basic compliance standards and their continued
> recognition as a Wikimedia affiliate presents a risk to the Wikimedia
> movement. This protocol is outlined at
>
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_movement_affiliates/Protocol_for_noncompliant_Wikimedia_movement_affiliates
>
> In the past year, the Affiliations Committee - with support from
> Wikimedia Foundation staff - has made a concerted effort to address a
> handful of chapters with long-standing issues of non-compliance. As a
> result, in the coming days and months, a small number of chapters that
> have been unable to return to compliance through their efforts in the
> past year will not have their chapter agreements renewed. As a
> consequence, these organizations will no longer have the additional
> rights to use the Wikimedia trademarks, including the Wikimedia name,
> that had been granted under those agreements.
>
> For a list of affiliates and their compliance status, please consult the
> reports page on Meta; there is also a page that lists formerly active
> affiliates. If you have questions about what this means for community
> members in the affected affiliates’ geographic area or language scope,
> we have put together a very basic FAQ, which may be found at
>
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_movement_affiliates/Affiliate_derecognition_FAQ
>
> Regards,
> M.
>
> --
> "*Jülüjain wane mmakat* ein kapülain tü alijunakalirua jee wayuukanairua
> junain ekerolaa alümüin supüshuwayale etijaanaka. Ayatashi waya junain."
> Maor Malul
> Socio, A.C. Wikimedia Venezuela | RIF J-40129321-2 |
> www.wikimedia.org.ve <http://wikimedia.org.ve>
> Member, Wikimedia Israel | www.wikimedia.org.il <http://wikimedia.org.il>
> Chair, Wikimedia Foundation Affiliations Committee
> Phone: +972-52-4869915 <+972%2052-486-9915>
> Twitter: @maor_x

Re: [Wikimedia-l] De-Recognition of Affiliates with Long-standing Non-Compliance

Nathan Awrich
It looks like there are many chapters and orgs at risk of being denied a
renewal. I'm curious about how you decided who to label non-compliant and
who you did not.

I notice that WM Armenia appears to have had no reports or activity (other
than 2015 wrap up information) in 2016. Are they considered up to date
because they provided a report for activities the year before last? Not to
pick on Amernia, it's just the first example I encountered. The chapter
provided consistent monthly reports from 2013 to 2015, but not one since.
They also posted a financial statement and an auditor's report for 2015,
which link to the same 3 page PDF. The brief financial statement, which is
not finely detailed, suggests that travel expenses account for nearly all
expenditures.

Maor, if you have a link to a document or page which explains the standards
being applied to chapters and orgs, and which might illuminate why WM AM is
in compliance but others are not, I would appreciate it!

Thanks,
Nathan

Re: [Wikimedia-l] De-Recognition of Affiliates with Long-standing Non-Compliance

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
I fail to see who you are targeting and on what basis. My impression is
that it only has to do with money.. I understand this. For other parts like
the language committee there are no reports except for the activity on its
mailing list. I fail to see why it has to report to anyone. It is not the
task the committee seeks and it does its activity on behalf of the
Wikimedia board.
Thanks,
      GerardM

On 5 February 2017 at 00:06, Maor Malul <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> Recognition as a Wikimedia affiliate - a chapter, thematic organization,
> or user group - is a privilege that allows an independent group to
> officially use the Wikimedia name to further the Wikimedia mission. While
> most Wikimedia affiliates adhere to the basic compliance standards set
> forth in their agreements with the Wikimedia Foundation, a protocol has
> been developed to address the exceptional cases when a Wikimedia affiliate
> does not meet basic compliance standards and their continued recognition as
> a Wikimedia affiliate presents a risk to the Wikimedia movement. This
> protocol is outlined at https://meta.wikimedia.org/wik
> i/Wikimedia_movement_affiliates/Protocol_for_noncompliant_
> Wikimedia_movement_affiliates
>
> In the past year, the Affiliations Committee - with support from Wikimedia
> Foundation staff - has made a concerted effort to address a handful of
> chapters with long-standing issues of non-compliance. As a result, in the
> coming days and months, a small number of chapters that have been unable to
> return to compliance through their efforts in the past year will not have
> their chapter agreements renewed. As a consequence, these organizations
> will no longer have the additional rights to use the Wikimedia trademarks,
> including the Wikimedia name, that had been granted under those agreements.
>
> For a list of affiliates and their compliance status, please consult the
> reports page on Meta; there is also a page that lists formerly active
> affiliates. If you have questions about what this means for community
> members in the affected affiliates’ geographic area or language scope, we
> have put together a very basic FAQ, which may be found at
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_movement_affiliate
> s/Affiliate_derecognition_FAQ
>
> Regards,
> M.
>
> --
> "*Jülüjain wane mmakat* ein kapülain tü alijunakalirua jee wayuukanairua
> junain ekerolaa alümüin supüshuwayale etijaanaka. Ayatashi waya junain."
> Maor Malul
> Socio, A.C. Wikimedia Venezuela | RIF J-40129321-2 | www.wikimedia.org.ve
> <http://wikimedia.org.ve>
> Member, Wikimedia Israel | www.wikimedia.org.il <http://wikimedia.org.il>
> Chair, Wikimedia Foundation Affiliations Committee
> Phone: +972-52-4869915
> Twitter: @maor_x

Re: [Wikimedia-l] De-Recognition of Affiliates with Long-standing Non-Compliance

Lodewijk
Hi Gerard,

I don't believe that the Language Committee is an affiliated organization -
so I'm not sure why affiliate requirements would apply. Or did I miss
something there?

Lodewijk

> [...]
> > have put together a very basic FAQ, which may be found at
> > https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_movement_affiliate
> > s/Affiliate_derecognition_FAQ
> >
> > Regards,
> > M.
> >
> > --
> > "*Jülüjain wane mmakat* ein kapülain tü alijunakalirua jee wayuukanairua
> > junain ekerolaa alümüin supüshuwayale etijaanaka. Ayatashi waya junain."
> > Maor Malul
> > Socio, A.C. Wikimedia Venezuela | RIF J-40129321-2 |
> www.wikimedia.org.ve
> > <http://wikimedia.org.ve>
> > Member, Wikimedia Israel | www.wikimedia.org.il <http://wikimedia.org.il
> >
> > Chair, Wikimedia Foundation Affiliations Committee
> > Phone: +972-52-4869915
> > Twitter: @maor_x

Re: [Wikimedia-l] De-Recognition of Affiliates with Long-standing Non-Compliance

It is in this same list.
Thanks,
      GerardM

On 5 February 2017 at 10:39, Lodewijk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > > https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_movement_affiliate
> > > s/Affiliate_derecognition_FAQ
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > M.
> > >
> > > --
> > > "*Jülüjain wane mmakat* ein kapülain tü alijunakalirua jee
> wayuukanairua
> > > junain ekerolaa alümüin supüshuwayale etijaanaka. Ayatashi waya
> junain."
> > > Maor Malul
> > > Socio, A.C. Wikimedia Venezuela | RIF J-40129321-2 |
> > www.wikimedia.org.ve
> > > <http://wikimedia.org.ve>
> > > Member, Wikimedia Israel | www.wikimedia.org.il <
> http://wikimedia.org.il
> > >
> > > Chair, Wikimedia Foundation Affiliations Committee
> > > Phone: +972-52-4869915
> > > Twitter: @maor_x

Re: [Wikimedia-l] De-Recognition of Affiliates with Long-standing Non-Compliance

Ting Chen-2
Hello Gerard,

the chapters and thematic organizations are entrusted with certain
functions and authorities. For example a chapter enjoys regional (or
country wide) exclusivity in their operating region. They are perceived
in the public as if they are official representatives of our movement in
that region. The same function fulfills the Thematic Organizations for
their thematic area. This is why we lay a much higher standard of
requirements for these affiliates. Some chapters do not request funds by
the FDC. We also have user groups who request funds, and they need to
provide the same reports as needed by the funds. For the AffCom money is
not the topic here.

Take the example of chapters if a chapter is not working, there is no
activity at all, it still blocks other affiliate grow up and take their
place as long as they are there and occupies the regional exclusity.
This is just one of the problematics here.

And the AffCom do also require the User Groups to report their activity,
although in a very easy to do manner.

I hope this clarifies your concern.

Greetings

Ting

Am 05.02.2017 um 10:22 schrieb Gerard Meijssen:

> [...]
>> have put together a very basic FAQ, which may be found at
>> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_movement_affiliate
>> s/Affiliate_derecognition_FAQ
>>
>> Regards,
>> M.
>>
>> --
>> "*Jülüjain wane mmakat* ein kapülain tü alijunakalirua jee wayuukanairua
>> junain ekerolaa alümüin supüshuwayale etijaanaka. Ayatashi waya junain."
>> Maor Malul
>> Socio, A.C. Wikimedia Venezuela | RIF J-40129321-2 | www.wikimedia.org.ve
>> <http://wikimedia.org.ve>
>> Member, Wikimedia Israel | www.wikimedia.org.il <http://wikimedia.org.il>
>> Chair, Wikimedia Foundation Affiliations Committee
>> Phone: +972-52-4869915
>> Twitter: @maor_x

Re: [Wikimedia-l] De-Recognition of Affiliates with Long-standing Non-Compliance

Hi Nathan,

The AffCom and the WMF have been in touch for many months with groups
that are not-compliant in different areas, especially their activities
[or lack of them]. So, a group that has been inactive for a long period
of time has been contacted in regards to this. Some of these groups have
not responded to multiple attempts to contact them by both the AffCom
and the WMF, or have failed to provide reports of any activity
whatsoever. Other situations that have caught our attention is engaging
in activities that are against what is stated in the chapter agreement.
Most of the groups contacted have responded in a timely manner and
provided the information required or a plan to correct the situation.

M.

El 05/02/2017 a las 07:45 a.m., Nathan escribió:

> It looks like there are many chapters and orgs at risk of being denied a
> renewal. I'm curious about how you decided who to label non-compliant and
> who you did not.
>
> I notice that WM Armenia appears to have had no reports or activity (other
> than 2015 wrap up information) in 2016. Are they considered up to date
> because they provided a report for activities the year before last? Not to
> pick on Amernia, it's just the first example I encountered. The chapter
> provided consistent monthly reports from 2013 to 2015, but not one since.
> They also posted a financial statement and an auditor's report for 2015,
> which link to the same 3 page PDF. The brief financial statement, which is
> not finely detailed, suggests that travel expenses account for nearly all
> expenditures.
>
> Maor, if you have a link to a document or page which explains the standards
> being applied to chapters and orgs, and which might illuminate why WM AM is
> in compliance but others are not, I would appreciate it!
>
> Thanks,
> Nathan

"*Jülüjain wane mmakat* ein kapülain tü alijunakalirua jee wayuukanairua
junain ekerolaa alümüin supüshuwayale etijaanaka. Ayatashi waya junain."
Maor Malul
Socio, A.C. Wikimedia Venezuela | RIF J-40129321-2 |
www.wikimedia.org.ve <http://wikimedia.org.ve>
Member, Wikimedia Israel | www.wikimedia.org.il <http://wikimedia.org.il>
Chair, Wikimedia Foundation Affiliations Committee
Phone: +972-52-4869915
Twitter: @maor_x

Re: [Wikimedia-l] De-Recognition of Affiliates with Long-standing Non-Compliance

Nathan Awrich
On Sun, Feb 5, 2017 at 4:22 AM, Gerard Meijssen <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hoi,
> I fail to see who you are targeting and on what basis. My impression is
> that it only has to do with money.. I understand this. For other parts like
> the language committee there are no reports except for the activity on its
> mailing list. I fail to see why it has to report to anyone. It is not the
> task the committee seeks and it does its activity on behalf of the
> Wikimedia board.
> Thanks,
>       GerardM

You misread - evidently both the original message and my reply. I answer
your question in my prior post, and hopefully subsequent posts by others
have cleared up any other confusion.

Maor - thank you for your explanation. Would it be fair to say that the
criteria for considering denying renewal are informal, and that some
factors (including communication with AffCom) may not be publicly available
for review?

Re: [Wikimedia-l] De-Recognition of Affiliates with Long-standing Non-Compliance

Kirill Lokshin
Hi Nathan,

To expand a bit on Maor's reply: the Affiliations Committee and the
Wikimedia Foundation continue to view affiliate de-recognition as a last
resort for cases where an affiliate is not only in violation of affiliate
requirements or agreements with the WMF, but is also unwilling or unable to
fix the problem when asked to do so.

The underlying issue that causes an affiliate to be "non-compliant" will
usually be publicly visible (such as a lack of required reporting, for
example). The affiliate's inability or unwillingness to address it will
usually not be, as it's reflected in the affiliate's communications with
AffCom and the WMF (or lack thereof).

Regards,
Kirill Lokshin
Vice-Chair, Affiliations Committee

On Sun, Feb 5, 2017 at 6:33 AM Nathan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 5, 2017 at 4:22 AM, Gerard Meijssen <[hidden email]
> >
> wrote:
>
> > Hoi,
> > I fail to see who you are targeting and on what basis. My impression is
> > that it only has to do with money.. I understand this. For other parts
> like
> > the language committee there are no reports except for the activity on
> its
> > mailing list. I fail to see why it has to report to anyone. It is not the
> > task the committee seeks and it does its activity on behalf of the
> > Wikimedia board.
> > Thanks,
> >       GerardM
>

> You misread - evidently both the original message and my reply. I answer
> your question in my prior post, and hopefully subsequent posts by others
> have cleared up any other confusion.
>
> Maor - thank you for your explanation. Would it be fair to say that the
> criteria for considering denying renewal are informal, and that some
> factors (including communication with AffCom) may not be publicly available
> for review?

Re: [Wikimedia-l] De-Recognition of Affiliates with Long-standing Non-Compliance

Mike Peel
Hi Maor/Kirill/AffCom,

Which organisations are we talking about here? From the crosses on the reports page on Meta, it looks like it is:
- Wikimedia Chile
- Wikimedia Hong Kong
- Wikimedia India
- Wikimedia Macedonia
- Wikimedia Macau
- Wikimedia Mexico
- Wikimedia Philippines
- Wikimedia Uruguay
- New England Wikimedians
- PhilWiki Community
- Wikimedia Community User Group Pakistan
- Wikimedia Digitization User Group
- Wikimedians of Iceland User Group
- Wikimedians of Nepal
- Wikimedians of Uzbekistan Community

Is it all of those or a subset of them? Some of these seem to be active and/or have representatives going to the Wikimedia Conference.

Thanks,
Mike

> On 5 Feb 2017, at 10:13, Kirill Lokshin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Nathan,
>
> To expand a bit on Maor's reply: the Affiliations Committee and the
> Wikimedia Foundation continue to view affiliate de-recognition as a last
> resort for cases where an affiliate is not only in violation of affiliate
> requirements or agreements with the WMF, but is also unwilling or unable to
> fix the problem when asked to do so.
>
> The underlying issue that causes an affiliate to be "non-compliant" will
> usually be publicly visible (such as a lack of required reporting, for
> example). The affiliate's inability or unwillingness to address it will
> usually not be, as it's reflected in the affiliate's communications with
> AffCom and the WMF (or lack thereof).
>
> Regards,
> Kirill Lokshin
> Vice-Chair, Affiliations Committee
>
> On Sun, Feb 5, 2017 at 6:33 AM Nathan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Feb 5, 2017 at 4:22 AM, Gerard Meijssen <[hidden email]
>>>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hoi,
>>> I fail to see who you are targeting and on what basis. My impression is
>>> that it only has to do with money.. I understand this. For other parts
>> like
>>> the language committee there are no reports except for the activity on
>> its
>>> mailing list. I fail to see why it has to report to anyone. It is not the
>>> task the committee seeks and it does its activity on behalf of the
>>> Wikimedia board.
>>> Thanks,
>>>      GerardM
>>

>> You misread - evidently both the original message and my reply. I answer
>> your question in my prior post, and hopefully subsequent posts by others
>> have cleared up any other confusion.
>>
>> Maor - thank you for your explanation. Would it be fair to say that the
>> criteria for considering denying renewal are informal, and that some
>> factors (including communication with AffCom) may not be publicly available
>> for review?

Re: [Wikimedia-l] De-Recognition of Affiliates with Long-standing Non-Compliance

Kirill Lokshin
Hi Mike,

It's certainly not all -- or even most -- of them; as we've mentioned, this
affects affiliates that are both non-compliant *and* unwilling or unable to
return to compliance.  We are, I think, quite forgiving of occasional
compliance issues, such as late reports, so long as an affiliate is willing
to resolve the issue in some reasonable manner.

It's also worth noting, incidentally, that the table on the reports page
only tracks compliance with annual activity and financial reporting
requirements, and not any other requirements that affiliates may be subject
to under their agreements with the WMF.

We will be providing more details on the specific affiliates affected by
this over the next several months, as the deadlines for them to resolve
compliance issues pass.  Please note that any affiliates potentially facing
non-renewal that do successfully resolve their compliance issues will in
fact be renewed, so we can't provide a definitive list at this time.

On Sun, Feb 5, 2017 at 7:32 AM Michael Peel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Maor/Kirill/AffCom,
>
> Which organisations are we talking about here? From the crosses on the
> reports page on Meta, it looks like it is:
> - Wikimedia Chile
> - Wikimedia Hong Kong
> - Wikimedia India
> - Wikimedia Macedonia
> - Wikimedia Macau
> - Wikimedia Mexico
> - Wikimedia Philippines
> - Wikimedia Uruguay
> - New England Wikimedians
> - PhilWiki Community
> - Wikimedia Community User Group Pakistan
> - Wikimedia Digitization User Group
> - Wikimedians of Iceland User Group
> - Wikimedians of Nepal
> - Wikimedians of Uzbekistan Community
>
> Is it all of those or a subset of them? Some of these seem to be active
> and/or have representatives going to the Wikimedia Conference.
>
> Thanks,
> Mike
>
> > On 5 Feb 2017, at 10:13, Kirill Lokshin <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Nathan,
> >
> > To expand a bit on Maor's reply: the Affiliations Committee and the
> > Wikimedia Foundation continue to view affiliate de-recognition as a last
> > resort for cases where an affiliate is not only in violation of affiliate
> > requirements or agreements with the WMF, but is also unwilling or unable
> > fix the problem when asked to do so.
> >
> > The underlying issue that causes an affiliate to be "non-compliant" will
> > usually be publicly visible (such as a lack of required reporting, for
> > example). The affiliate's inability or unwillingness to address it will
> > usually not be, as it's reflected in the affiliate's communications with
> > AffCom and the WMF (or lack thereof).
> >
> > Regards,
> > Kirill Lokshin
> > Vice-Chair, Affiliations Committee
> >
> > On Sun, Feb 5, 2017 at 6:33 AM Nathan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> On Sun, Feb 5, 2017 at 4:22 AM, Gerard Meijssen <
> [hidden email]

> >> like
> >> its
> the
> >>

> >> You misread - evidently both the original message and my reply. I answer
> >> your question in my prior post, and hopefully subsequent posts by others
> >> have cleared up any other confusion.
> >>
> >> Maor - thank you for your explanation. Would it be fair to say that the
> >> criteria for considering denying renewal are informal, and that some
> >> factors (including communication with AffCom) may not be publicly
> available
> >> for review?

Re: [Wikimedia-l] De-Recognition of Affiliates with Long-standing Non-Compliance

MZMcBride-2
Kirill Lokshin wrote:
>It's also worth noting, incidentally, that the table on the reports page
>only tracks compliance with annual activity and financial reporting
>requirements, and not any other requirements that affiliates may be
>subject to under their agreements with the WMF.

For reference, since I was curious, there's an index of (some?) chapter
agreements here: <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Chapter_agreements>.
This page may be out of date, though.

There are a whole lot of chapter/affiliate-related pages on Meta-Wiki and
it's a bit difficult to keep track of them. These two templates are decent
attempts: <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Template:Affiliates> and
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Template:Affiliations_Committee>.

MZMcBride

Re: [Wikimedia-l] De-Recognition of Affiliates with Long-standing Non-Compliance

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
The Dutch chapter is well respected and it is why I can use it as an
example. The Dutch chapter does not represent Wikipedia or any of the other
projects. It cannot do this because the Wikimedia Foundation has this
exclusive right.

So when a chapter is said to represent the Wikimedia movement and its
projects in a country, it is important that this is in line with reality.
The reality is that the Dutch chapter is in principle a society with
members; it has as a mission to share the sum of all knowledge and in its
activities it supports the Dutch Wikimedia community as much as it can/is
allowed to as well.

When a chapter exclusively represents the WMF. Let there be trust and given
the way things are it does not show when you analyse things.
Thanks,
       GerardM

On 5 February 2017 at 11:05, Ting Chen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>> have put together a very basic FAQ, which may be found at
>>> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_movement_affiliate
>>> s/Affiliate_derecognition_FAQ
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> M.
>>>
>>> --
>>> "*Jülüjain wane mmakat* ein kapülain tü alijunakalirua jee wayuukanairua
>>> junain ekerolaa alümüin supüshuwayale etijaanaka. Ayatashi waya junain."
>>> Maor Malul
>>> Socio, A.C. Wikimedia Venezuela | RIF J-40129321-2 |
>>> www.wikimedia.org.ve
>>> <http://wikimedia.org.ve>
>>> Member, Wikimedia Israel | www.wikimedia.org.il <http://wikimedia.org.il
>>> >
>>> Chair, Wikimedia Foundation Affiliations Committee
>>> Phone: +972-52-4869915
>>> Twitter: @maor_x

Re: [Wikimedia-l] De-Recognition of Affiliates with Long-standing Non-Compliance

I didn't say that a chapter represent a project or the Foundation. I
said it is perceived as a representative of the movement.

For example, if the EU asks for opinion of the revision of the copy
right law. The answers by the european chapters are perceived as the
answer of this movement, it is not perceived as any casual organization.
The media will at first contact the chapters of their region or country
if there is anything to be commented about the movement.

As you said yourself. Chapters support the community, and from a very
unique position that differs them from user groups, because there is
only one chapter for the Netherlands, or Germany, etc. And this is the
reason why there is a higher requirement of reports and activity for the
chapters.

Greetings

Ting

Am 05.02.2017 um 18:48 schrieb Gerard Meijssen:

> Hoi,
> The Dutch chapter is well respected and it is why I can use it as an
> example. The Dutch chapter does not represent Wikipedia or any of the other
> projects. It cannot do this because the Wikimedia Foundation has this
> exclusive right.
>
> So when a chapter is said to represent the Wikimedia movement and its
> projects in a country, it is important that this is in line with reality.
> The reality is that the Dutch chapter is in principle a society with
> members; it has as a mission to share the sum of all knowledge and in its
> activities it supports the Dutch Wikimedia community as much as it can/is
> allowed to as well.
>
> When a chapter exclusively represents the WMF. Let there be trust and given
> the way things are it does not show when you analyse things.
> Thanks,
>         GerardM
>
> On 5 February 2017 at 11:05, Ting Chen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hello Gerard,
>>
>> the chapters and thematic organizations are entrusted with certain
>> functions and authorities. For example a chapter enjoys regional (or
>> country wide) exclusivity in their operating region. They are perceived in
>> the public as if they are official representatives of our movement in that
>> region. The same function fulfills the Thematic Organizations for their
>> thematic area. This is why we lay a much higher standard of requirements
>> for these affiliates. Some chapters do not request funds by the FDC. We
>> also have user groups who request funds, and they need to provide the same
>> reports as needed by the funds. For the AffCom money is not the topic here.
>>
>> Take the example of chapters if a chapter is not working, there is no
>> activity at all, it still blocks other affiliate grow up and take their
>> place as long as they are there and occupies the regional exclusity. This
>> is just one of the problematics here.
>>
>> And the AffCom do also require the User Groups to report their activity,
>> although in a very easy to do manner.
>>
>> I hope this clarifies your concern.
>>
>> Greetings
>>
>> Ting
>>

>> Am 05.02.2017 um 10:22 schrieb Gerard Meijssen:
>>
>>> Hoi,
>>> I fail to see who you are targeting and on what basis. My impression is
>>> that it only has to do with money.. I understand this. For other parts
>>> like
>>> the language committee there are no reports except for the activity on its
>>> mailing list. I fail to see why it has to report to anyone. It is not the
>>> task the committee seeks and it does its activity on behalf of the
>>> Wikimedia board.
>>> Thanks,
>>>         GerardM
>>>
>>> On 5 February 2017 at 00:06, Maor Malul <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Dear all,

Re: [Wikimedia-l] De-Recognition of Affiliates with Long-standing Non-Compliance

jmh649
The second part of this IMO is not accurate "The Dutch chapter does not
represent Wikipedia or any of the other projects. It cannot do this because
the Wikimedia Foundation has this exclusive right."

The Wikimedia movement which is a combination of the WMF, chapters and
thorgs, along with the communities represent Wikipedia. The WMF only
exclusively represents the WMF.

James

On Mon, Feb 6, 2017 at 2:18 AM, Ting Chen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>> for these affiliates. Some chapters do not request funds by the FDC. We
>>> also have user groups who request funds, and they need to provide the
>>> same
>>> reports as needed by the funds. For the AffCom money is not the topic
>>> here.
>>>
>>> Take the example of chapters if a chapter is not working, there is no
>>> activity at all, it still blocks other affiliate grow up and take their
>>> place as long as they are there and occupies the regional exclusity. This
>>> is just one of the problematics here.
>>>
>>> And the AffCom do also require the User Groups to report their activity,
>>> although in a very easy to do manner.
>>>
>>> I hope this clarifies your concern.
>>>
>>> Greetings
>>>
>>> Ting
>>>

>>> Am 05.02.2017 um 10:22 schrieb Gerard Meijssen:

James Heilman
MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian

The Wikipedia Open Textbook of Medicine

Re: [Wikimedia-l] De-Recognition of Affiliates with Long-standing Non-Compliance

Pine W
Hi James,

I'd like to agree with you, but in practice because WMF controls both the
trademark agreements and affiliate agreements, in practice WMF has wide
latitude in determining who other than them an claim to "represent
Wikipedia". There are some good things about this (e.g. we don't want
people selling clothing with the Wikipedia globe logo and claiming that the
proceeds "go to Wikipedia" when they actually go to someone's private bank
account; another example of a problem would be someone who claims to
"represent Wikipedia" and then engages in large amounts of copyright
violations). However, there is always the prospect that WMF could use the
trademark, affiliate, and grant agreements to penalize affiliates whose
opinions differ from those of WMF. I'm not sure how we untangle this web of
keeping the good while reducing risk of the bad. The current system,
imperfect though it is, seems to me to be good enough for the moment. To
tie this into one of my other thoughts: I think that WMF should become a
membership organization, which would have the effect of increasing my
comfort level with the high concentration of risk, money, and legal
authority in WMF.

We are digressing from the original subject of the thread about
de-recognition, so please fork the trademarks discussion to a separate
thread if you'd like to respond.

Regards,

Pine

On Sun, Feb 5, 2017 at 4:35 PM, James Heilman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The second part of this IMO is not accurate "The Dutch chapter does not
> represent Wikipedia or any of the other projects. It cannot do this because
> the Wikimedia Foundation has this exclusive right."
>
> The Wikimedia movement which is a combination of the WMF, chapters and
> thorgs, along with the communities represent Wikipedia. The WMF only
> exclusively represents the WMF.
>
> James

Re: [Wikimedia-l] De-Recognition of Affiliates with Long-standing Non-Compliance

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
Sorry that is not how it is under Dutch regulations.
Thanks,
      GerardM

On 6 February 2017 at 01:35, James Heilman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> >> allowed to as well.
> >>
> >> When a chapter exclusively represents the WMF. Let there be trust and
> >> given
> >> the way things are it does not show when you analyse things.
> >> Thanks,
> >>         GerardM
> >>
> >> On 5 February 2017 at 11:05, Ting Chen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hello Gerard,

> requirements

> This

> activity,

> is

> set
> has

> of
> organizations

> scope,

> James Heilman
> MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian

Re: [Wikimedia-l] De-Recognition of Affiliates with Long-standing Non-Compliance

Gnangarra

> The Wikimedia movement which is a combination of the WMF, chapters and
> thorgs, along with the communities represent Wikipedia.

​The Chapters dont represent Wikipedia we support the contributors to
Wikipedia and the other projects as well as promote the reuse and sharing
of content available through the movement as a whole...​  Our agreement is
clear on that, we also dont have any editorial authority, specific
influence over nor responsibility for content...

this may be less obvious for some non-english language communities where
the line between the language version of Wikipedia and the Chapter is
blurred, especially in the smaller languages where there isnt a great
expanse of international speakers to draw upon as contributors.

GN.
President Wikimedia Australia