[Wikimedia-l] December 2017 Research Showcase

[Wikimedia-l] December 2017 Research Showcase

Lani Goto
Hi Everyone,

The next Research Showcase will be live-streamed this Wednesday, December
13, 2017 at 11:15 AM (PST) 18:15 UTC.

YouTube stream: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoVwus1Owtk

As usual, you can join the conversation on IRC at #wikimedia-research. And,
you can watch our past research showcases here.

This month's presentation:
*The State of the Article Expansion Recommendation System*
By Leila Zia
Only 1% of English Wikipedia articles are labeled with quality class Good
or better, and 37% of the articles are stubs. We are building an article
expansion recommendation system to change this in Wikipedia, across many
languages. In this presentation, I will talk with you about our current
thinking of the vision and direction of the research that can help us build
such a recommendation system, and share more about one specific area of
research we have heavily focused on in the past months: building a
recommendation system that can help editors identify what sections to add
to an already existing article. I present some of the challenges we faced,
the methods we devised or used to overcome them, and the result of the
first line of experiments on the quality of such recommendations (teaser:
the results are really promising. The precision and recall at 10 is 80%.)

--
Lani Goto
Project Assistant, Engineering Admin

Re: [Wikimedia-l] December 2017 Research Showcase

Lani Goto
Apologies, a clarification about the time:

This will be at 11:30AM (PST) 19:30 UTC.

On Mon, Dec 11, 2017 at 4:21 PM, Lani Goto <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> The next Research Showcase will be live-streamed this Wednesday, December
> 13, 2017 at 11:15 AM (PST) 18:15 UTC.
>
> YouTube stream: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoVwus1Owtk
>
> As usual, you can join the conversation on IRC at #wikimedia-research.
> And, you can watch our past research showcases here.
>
> This month's presentation:
> *The State of the Article Expansion Recommendation System*
> By Leila Zia
> Only 1% of English Wikipedia articles are labeled with quality class Good
> or better, and 37% of the articles are stubs. We are building an article
> expansion recommendation system to change this in Wikipedia, across many
> languages. In this presentation, I will talk with you about our current
> thinking of the vision and direction of the research that can help us build
> such a recommendation system, and share more about one specific area of
> research we have heavily focused on in the past months: building a
> recommendation system that can help editors identify what sections to add
> to an already existing article. I present some of the challenges we faced,
> the methods we devised or used to overcome them, and the result of the
> first line of experiments on the quality of such recommendations (teaser:
> the results are really promising. The precision and recall at 10 is 80%.)
>

> --
> Lani Goto
> Project Assistant, Engineering Admin

--
Lani Goto
Project Assistant, Engineering Admin

Re: [Wikimedia-l] December 2017 Research Showcase

Peter Southwood
Hi Lani,
I looked up precision and recall in the Wikipedia article, but could not work out what is meant by "The precision and recall at 10 is 80%"
Cheers,
Peter

Apologies, a clarification about the time:

This will be at 11:30AM (PST) 19:30 UTC.

On Mon, Dec 11, 2017 at 4:21 PM, Lani Goto <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> The next Research Showcase will be live-streamed this Wednesday,
> December 13, 2017 at 11:15 AM (PST) 18:15 UTC.
>
> YouTube stream: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoVwus1Owtk
>
> As usual, you can join the conversation on IRC at #wikimedia-research.
> And, you can watch our past research showcases here.
>
> This month's presentation:
> *The State of the Article Expansion Recommendation System* By Leila
> Zia Only 1% of English Wikipedia articles are labeled with quality
> class Good or better, and 37% of the articles are stubs. We are
> building an article expansion recommendation system to change this in
> Wikipedia, across many languages. In this presentation, I will talk
> with you about our current thinking of the vision and direction of the
> research that can help us build such a recommendation system, and
> share more about one specific area of research we have heavily focused
> on in the past months: building a recommendation system that can help
> editors identify what sections to add to an already existing article.
> I present some of the challenges we faced, the methods we devised or
> used to overcome them, and the result of the first line of experiments
> on the quality of such recommendations (teaser:
> the results are really promising. The precision and recall at 10 is
> 80%.)
>

> --
> Lani Goto
> Project Assistant, Engineering Admin