[Wikimedia-l] Dells are backdored

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Dells are backdored

Leslie Carr
Oh man ---

The trolling here is amazing!!!

First off, you can't just plug a fiber cable into an ethernet socket.
You need at least SFP+'s for 10G fiber connections, plus the cost of
fiber itself -- it's way more expensive than a 100mbit connection.

That said, we do use SFP+ based 10G for our varnish layer -- the
amount of traffic pushed by those boxes compared to the amount it
would cost to buy a bunch of additional machines makes the extra cost
of the interfaces (and don't forget the switch ports! 10G switches
cost more than 100mbit switches) make perfect financial sense.

Leslie

PS - someone technical may point out that DAC (which is copper! gasp!)
is cheaper than two SFP+'s and a fiber cable.  That's true!  However
we have had major issues with DAC compatibility on the switch side,
and some issues on the hardware side.  SFP+'s rarely (albeit
occasionally) have that issue.  Plus we can keep a spare inventory
that is usable in multiple places, making our sparing easier and life
easier on the DC techs when we need to scramble for an unexpected 10G
need.

On Sun, Dec 29, 2013 at 10:10 PM, James Salsman <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Maximum 100 Mbps ethernet connection....
>
> We should be using fiber, which also costs less power and is orders of
> magnitude faster.
>
> If the words "enterprise-class" actually mean something more than
> "much larger markup than purchasing components" then go with something
> like http://www.marvell.com/company/news/pressDetail.do?releaseID=3576
>
> For example, maybe the http://www.mitac.com/business/gfx_servers.html
> people have benchmarks representative of our DB/cache usage patterns.
> It's not like we have anything special (or x86-specific, Jasper!)
> other than very high bandwidth.
>
> At least put out an RFP, please.

Leslie Carr
Wikimedia Foundation
AS 14907, 43821
http://as14907.peeringdb.com/

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Dells are backdored

Liam Wyatt
As a non-technical person on this list, I have no idea what you just said
Lesile (and Tim, earlier in this thread) but I greatly enjoyed reading it!
Keep up the good work :-)
-Liam / Wittylama

On Tuesday, 31 December 2013, Leslie Carr wrote:

> Oh man ---
>
> The trolling here is amazing!!!
>
> First off, you can't just plug a fiber cable into an ethernet socket.
> You need at least SFP+'s for 10G fiber connections, plus the cost of
> fiber itself -- it's way more expensive than a 100mbit connection.
>
> That said, we do use SFP+ based 10G for our varnish layer -- the
> amount of traffic pushed by those boxes compared to the amount it
> would cost to buy a bunch of additional machines makes the extra cost
> of the interfaces (and don't forget the switch ports! 10G switches
> cost more than 100mbit switches) make perfect financial sense.
>
> Leslie
>
> PS - someone technical may point out that DAC (which is copper! gasp!)
> is cheaper than two SFP+'s and a fiber cable.  That's true!  However
> we have had major issues with DAC compatibility on the switch side,
> and some issues on the hardware side.  SFP+'s rarely (albeit
> occasionally) have that issue.  Plus we can keep a spare inventory
> that is usable in multiple places, making our sparing easier and life
> easier on the DC techs when we need to scramble for an unexpected 10G
> need.
>

> On Sun, Dec 29, 2013 at 10:10 PM, James Salsman <[hidden email]<javascript:;>>
> wrote:
> >> Maximum 100 Mbps ethernet connection....
> >
> > We should be using fiber, which also costs less power and is orders of
> > magnitude faster.
> >
> > If the words "enterprise-class" actually mean something more than
> > "much larger markup than purchasing components" then go with something
> > like http://www.marvell.com/company/news/pressDetail.do?releaseID=3576
> >
> > For example, maybe the http://www.mitac.com/business/gfx_servers.html
> > people have benchmarks representative of our DB/cache usage patterns.
> > It's not like we have anything special (or x86-specific, Jasper!)
> > other than very high bandwidth.
> >
> > At least put out an RFP, please.

> Leslie Carr
> Wikimedia Foundation