[Wikimedia-l] Does anyone know what wikimedia france are up to with the Request Network ?

[Wikimedia-l] Does anyone know what wikimedia france are up to with the Request Network ?

geni
According to their twitter feed they have announced a partnership with
something called the "Request Network‏" for cryptocurrency donations.
Also this article here

https://www.wikimedia.fr/2018/04/27/wikimedia-france-annonce-partenariat-fondation-request-network-accepter-donations-crypto-monnaies/

Ok. I don't approve but I'm not french so not its not an area where I
can reasonably expect anyone to pay any attention to my opinions.

What concerns me is that they have retweeted something claiming the
partnership is with the wikimedia foundation rather than just
wikimedia france:

https://twitter.com/wikimedia_fr?lang=en

Is some form of clarification possible?

--
geni

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Does anyone know what wikimedia france are up to with the Request Network ?

Isaac Olatunde
Hi Geni,

Have you asked executive members of Wikimedia France? I think they are in
the best position to answer you question.

Regards,

Isaac.

On Apr 27, 2018 2:49 PM, "geni" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> According to their twitter feed they have announced a partnership with
> something called the "Request Network‏" for cryptocurrency donations.
> Also this article here
>
> https://www.wikimedia.fr/2018/04/27/wikimedia-france-
> annonce-partenariat-fondation-request-network-accepter-
> donations-crypto-monnaies/
>
> Ok. I don't approve but I'm not french so not its not an area where I
> can reasonably expect anyone to pay any attention to my opinions.
>
> What concerns me is that they have retweeted something claiming the
> partnership is with the wikimedia foundation rather than just
> wikimedia france:
>
> https://twitter.com/wikimedia_fr?lang=en
>
> Is some form of clarification possible?
>
> --
> geni

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Does anyone know what wikimedia france are up to with the Request Network ?

Florence Devouard-6
Definitly confusing.

See also this :
https://blog.request.network/request-network-project-update-april-27th-2018-partnership-with-wikimedia-woocommerce-plugin-c598372e9b58

Florence

Le 27/04/2018 à 15:49, geni a écrit :

> According to their twitter feed they have announced a partnership with
> something called the "Request Network‏" for cryptocurrency donations.
> Also this article here
>
> https://www.wikimedia.fr/2018/04/27/wikimedia-france-annonce-partenariat-fondation-request-network-accepter-donations-crypto-monnaies/
>
> Ok. I don't approve but I'm not french so not its not an area where I
> can reasonably expect anyone to pay any attention to my opinions.
>
> What concerns me is that they have retweeted something claiming the
> partnership is with the wikimedia foundation rather than just
> wikimedia france:
>
> https://twitter.com/wikimedia_fr?lang=en
>
> Is some form of clarification possible?

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Does anyone know what wikimedia france are up to with the Request Network ?

jmh649
While the WMF accepts bitcoin this claim is definitely concerning

"the Wikimedia Foundation reinforces its leading status by widely
integrating blockchain technology on its platform"

Have cc'ed Chuck from legal regarding potential trademark issues.

James

On Fri, Apr 27, 2018 at 8:23 AM, Devouard (gmail) <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Definitly confusing.
>
> See also this : https://blog.request.network/r
> equest-network-project-update-april-27th-2018-partnership-
> with-wikimedia-woocommerce-plugin-c598372e9b58
>

> Florence
>
> Le 27/04/2018 à 15:49, geni a écrit :
>
>> According to their twitter feed they have announced a partnership with
>> something called the "Request Network‏" for cryptocurrency donations.
>> Also this article here
>>
>> https://www.wikimedia.fr/2018/04/27/wikimedia-france-annonce
>> -partenariat-fondation-request-network-accepter-donations-
>> crypto-monnaies/
>>
>> Ok. I don't approve but I'm not french so not its not an area where I
>> can reasonably expect anyone to pay any attention to my opinions.
>>
>> What concerns me is that they have retweeted something claiming the
>> partnership is with the wikimedia foundation rather than just
>> wikimedia france:
>>
>> https://twitter.com/wikimedia_fr?lang=en
>>
>> Is some form of clarification possible?

James Heilman
MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian
Pyb

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Does anyone know what wikimedia france are up to with the Request Network ?

Pyb
Sorry it's a mistake, the partnership is with WMFr. We will correct that
tweet.

Pyb

Le ven. 27 avr. 2018 à 15:49, geni <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> According to their twitter feed they have announced a partnership with
> something called the "Request Network‏" for cryptocurrency donations.
> Also this article here
>

> https://www.wikimedia.fr/2018/04/27/wikimedia-france-annonce-partenariat-fondation-request-network-accepter-donations-crypto-monnaies/
>
> Ok. I don't approve but I'm not french so not its not an area where I
> can reasonably expect anyone to pay any attention to my opinions.
>
> What concerns me is that they have retweeted something claiming the
> partnership is with the wikimedia foundation rather than just
> wikimedia france:
>
> https://twitter.com/wikimedia_fr?lang=en
>
> Is some form of clarification possible?
>
> --
> geni

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Does anyone know what wikimedia france are up to with the Request Network ?

jmh649
This also needs correcting
https://blog.request.network/request-network-project-update-april-27th-2018-partnership-with-wikimedia-woocommerce-plugin-c598372e9b58

Also I am not sure use of the Wikipedia logo is appropriate as it is not an
partnership with Wikipedia.

James

On Fri, Apr 27, 2018 at 8:35 AM, Pierre-Yves Beaudouin <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sorry it's a mistake, the partnership is with WMFr. We will correct that
> tweet.
>
> Pyb
>
> Le ven. 27 avr. 2018 à 15:49, geni <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> > According to their twitter feed they have announced a partnership with
> > something called the "Request Network‏" for cryptocurrency donations.
> > Also this article here
> >

> > https://www.wikimedia.fr/2018/04/27/wikimedia-france-
> annonce-partenariat-fondation-request-network-accepter-
> donations-crypto-monnaies/
> >
> > Ok. I don't approve but I'm not french so not its not an area where I
> > can reasonably expect anyone to pay any attention to my opinions.
> >
> > What concerns me is that they have retweeted something claiming the
> > partnership is with the wikimedia foundation rather than just
> > wikimedia france:
> >
> > https://twitter.com/wikimedia_fr?lang=en
> >
> > Is some form of clarification possible?
> >
> > --
> > geni

James Heilman
MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Does anyone know what wikimedia france are up to with the Request Network ?

Victoria Coleman
Yes, the platform claim is far from accurate.

Best regards,

Victoria

Sent from my iPhone

> On Apr 27, 2018, at 7:27 AM, James Heilman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> While the WMF accepts bitcoin this claim is definitely concerning
>
> "the Wikimedia Foundation reinforces its leading status by widely
> integrating blockchain technology on its platform"
>
> Have cc'ed Chuck from legal regarding potential trademark issues.
>
> James
>
> On Fri, Apr 27, 2018 at 8:23 AM, Devouard (gmail) <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Definitly confusing.
>>
>> See also this : https://blog.request.network/r
>> equest-network-project-update-april-27th-2018-partnership-
>> with-wikimedia-woocommerce-plugin-c598372e9b58
>>

>> Florence
>>
>>> Le 27/04/2018 à 15:49, geni a écrit :
>>>
>>> According to their twitter feed they have announced a partnership with
>>> something called the "Request Network‏" for cryptocurrency donations.
>>> Also this article here
>>>
>>> https://www.wikimedia.fr/2018/04/27/wikimedia-france-annonce
>>> -partenariat-fondation-request-network-accepter-donations-
>>> crypto-monnaies/
>>>
>>> Ok. I don't approve but I'm not french so not its not an area where I
>>> can reasonably expect anyone to pay any attention to my opinions.
>>>
>>> What concerns me is that they have retweeted something claiming the
>>> partnership is with the wikimedia foundation rather than just
>>> wikimedia france:
>>>
>>> https://twitter.com/wikimedia_fr?lang=en
>>>
>>> Is some form of clarification possible?

> James Heilman
> MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Does anyone know what wikimedia france are up to with the Request Network ?

Romaine Wiki-2
We in Belgium received a mail with a question if we want to work together
with a blockchain organisation. For us to develop that it is too much work,
and we suggested them to contact WMF to develop a system we could easily
adopt ourselves.

It can be interesting to use blockchain technology in our movement for
transparency purposes.

Romaine

Op vrijdag 27 april 2018 heeft Victoria Coleman <[hidden email]>
het volgende geschreven:

On 27 April 2018 at 16:42, Romaine Wiki <[hidden email]> wrote:
> It can be interesting to use blockchain technology in our movement for
> transparency purposes.
>
> Romaine

Not really. At best you end up with a less efficient version of a
downloadable database. People claiming that "blockchain technology" is
useful for things are either cyptocurrency advocates (with the usual
conflicts of interest) or third parties trying to be nice to them.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Does anyone know what wikimedia france are up to with the Request Network ?

James Salsman-2
>> It can be interesting to use blockchain technology in our movement for
>> transparency purposes.
> Not really. At best you end up with a less efficient version of a
> downloadable database....

Less efficient unless a government authority is attempting to censor.

After advocating all this year for the Turkish Wikipedia on IPFS, I
very recently learned that it has been a success for a year now:

https://ipfs.io/blog/24-uncensorable-wikipedia/

http://observer.com/2017/05/turkey-wikipedia-ipfs/

So I propose that we use IPFS for any project that is at risk of
government censorship.

Best regards,
Jim

On 27 April 2018 at 17:21, geni <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Not really. At best you end up with a less efficient version of a
> downloadable database. People claiming that "blockchain technology" is
> useful for things are either cyptocurrency advocates (with the usual
> conflicts of interest) or third parties trying to be nice to them.

seconded. Actual blockchain expert here! As in, I wrote a book about
it that's sold well and the BBC calls me an expert now.

Just for readers of this list, as copyright holder I hereby grant you
permission to download this copy:

http://libgen.io/book/index.php?md5=41A766EE9752E757169A46C936C2EC17

(like I could stop anyone anyway)

tl;dr "blockchain" anything is a boondoggle at best and horribly
damaging at worst, and you really don't want to go near this actively
terrible rubbish.

- d.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Does anyone know what wikimedia france are up to with the Request Network ?

David Gerard-2
TrustNodes tested out Request's donation offering:

https://www.trustnodes.com/2018/04/27/request-network-partners-wikimedia-launching-beta-plus-test-run-review-digital-codable-invoices

tl;dr it's incredibly clunky, painful and disappointing and largely
doesn't work. Also, it only offers Ethereum.

On a related note, I notice the WMF Bitcoin gateway currently uses
Coinbase's merchant option to accept cryptos and then pay the charity
on dollars (so WMF never touches a crypto). Coinbase are deprecating
this shortly, going to a model where the merchant has an account on
Coinbase and cashing out is their own problem. What will happen to the
WMF bitcoin option?
https://medium.com/@coinbasecommerce/upgrading-the-merchant-experience-d97679274c71

(I'm just writing up this terrible story for my blockchain blog.)

- d.

On 27 April 2018 at 19:05, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 27 April 2018 at 17:21, geni <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Not really. At best you end up with a less efficient version of a
>> downloadable database. People claiming that "blockchain technology" is
>> useful for things are either cyptocurrency advocates (with the usual
>> conflicts of interest) or third parties trying to be nice to them.
>

> seconded. Actual blockchain expert here! As in, I wrote a book about
> it that's sold well and the BBC calls me an expert now.
>
> Just for readers of this list, as copyright holder I hereby grant you
> permission to download this copy:
>
> http://libgen.io/book/index.php?md5=41A766EE9752E757169A46C936C2EC17
>
> (like I could stop anyone anyway)
>
> tl;dr "blockchain" anything is a boondoggle at best and horribly
> damaging at worst, and you really don't want to go near this actively
> terrible rubbish.
>

> - d.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Does anyone know what wikimedia france are up to with the Request Network ?

David Gerard-2
Wrote up the story so far:

https://davidgerard.co.uk/blockchain/2018/04/27/no-wikipedia-is-not-partnering-with-the-request-network-dont-believe-the-hype/

Any new stuff, corrections, clarifications etc most welcomed!

- d.

On 27 April 2018 at 21:04, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> TrustNodes tested out Request's donation offering:
>
> https://www.trustnodes.com/2018/04/27/request-network-
> partners-wikimedia-launching-beta-plus-test-run-review-
> digital-codable-invoices
>
> tl;dr it's incredibly clunky, painful and disappointing and largely
> doesn't work. Also, it only offers Ethereum.
>
> On a related note, I notice the WMF Bitcoin gateway currently uses
> Coinbase's merchant option to accept cryptos and then pay the charity
> on dollars (so WMF never touches a crypto). Coinbase are deprecating
> this shortly, going to a model where the merchant has an account on
> Coinbase and cashing out is their own problem. What will happen to the
> WMF bitcoin option?
> https://medium.com/@coinbasecommerce/upgrading-the-merchant-experience-
> d97679274c71
>
> (I'm just writing up this terrible story for my blockchain blog.)
>

> - d.
>

> On 27 April 2018 at 19:05, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On 27 April 2018 at 17:21, geni <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> Not really. At best you end up with a less efficient version of a
> >> downloadable database. People claiming that "blockchain technology" is
> >> useful for things are either cyptocurrency advocates (with the usual
> >> conflicts of interest) or third parties trying to be nice to them.
> >

> > seconded. Actual blockchain expert here! As in, I wrote a book about
> > it that's sold well and the BBC calls me an expert now.
> >
> > Just for readers of this list, as copyright holder I hereby grant you
> > permission to download this copy:
> >
> > http://libgen.io/book/index.php?md5=41A766EE9752E757169A46C936C2EC17
> >
> > (like I could stop anyone anyway)
> >
> > tl;dr "blockchain" anything is a boondoggle at best and horribly
> > damaging at worst, and you really don't want to go near this actively
> > terrible rubbish.
> >

> > - d.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Does anyone know what wikimedia france are up to with the Request Network ?

Vi to
You surely saw the same dudes who sold anything as "Internet of things" a
couple of years ago selling the same black boxes as "blockchain" now. I
expect these black boxes to be labeled as "enhanced by artificial
intelligence" by mid 2019 :D

Vito

> On 27 April 2018 at 17:21, geni <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Not really. At best you end up with a less efficient version of a
> > downloadable database. People claiming that "blockchain technology" is
> > useful for things are either cyptocurrency advocates (with the usual
> > conflicts of interest) or third parties trying to be nice to them.
>

> seconded. Actual blockchain expert here! As in, I wrote a book about
> it that's sold well and the BBC calls me an expert now.
>
> Just for readers of this list, as copyright holder I hereby grant you
> permission to download this copy:
>
> http://libgen.io/book/index.php?md5=41A766EE9752E757169A46C936C2EC17
>
> (like I could stop anyone anyway)
>
> tl;dr "blockchain" anything is a boondoggle at best and horribly
> damaging at worst, and you really don't want to go near this actively
> terrible rubbish.
>

> - d.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Does anyone know what wikimedia france are up to with the Request Network ?

Nadine Le Lirzin
Hi all,

First of all, thanks for reporting the issue. Impressive reactivity :)

Then, sorry for the intempestive and unwelcome communication about this
local partnership. The agreement is quite clear, it has been established by
Wikimédia France (of course *not* in name of Wikimedia Foundation) and our
partners are obviously *not allowed* to use any of Wikimedia projects
marks.

Today, Request Network updated their posts to clarify things and suppressed
Wikipedia logo from their communication messages :
https://www.reddit.com/r/RequestNetwork/comments/8firkq/
update_to_clarify_wikimedia_france_partnership/
https://blog.request.network/request-network-project-update-april-27th-
2018-partnership-with-wikimedia-woocommerce-plugin-c598372e9b58

We updated our blog post as well, with an introductive warning :
https://www.wikimedia.fr/2018/04/27/wikimedia-france-
annonce-partenariat-fondation-request-network-accepter-
donations-crypto-monnaies/

After the week-end and labor day (1 May), we are expecting that all
occurrences of this misunderstanding have disappeared.

Nadine Le Lirzin

*Secretary of the Board*
*Wikimédia France *

> Definitly confusing.
>
> See also this : https://blog.request.network/r
> equest-network-project-update-april-27th-2018-partnership-
> with-wikimedia-woocommerce-plugin-c598372e9b58
>

> Florence
>
> Le 27/04/2018 à 15:49, geni a écrit :
>
>> According to their twitter feed they have announced a partnership with
>> something called the "Request Network‏" for cryptocurrency donations.
>> Also this article here
>>
>> https://www.wikimedia.fr/2018/04/27/wikimedia-france-annonce
>> -partenariat-fondation-request-network-accepter-donations-
>> crypto-monnaies/
>>
>> Ok. I don't approve but I'm not french so not its not an area where I
>> can reasonably expect anyone to pay any attention to my opinions.
>>
>> What concerns me is that they have retweeted something claiming the
>> partnership is with the wikimedia foundation rather than just
>> wikimedia france:
>>
>> https://twitter.com/wikimedia_fr?lang=en
>>
>> Is some form of clarification possible?

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Does anyone know what wikimedia france are up to with the Request Network ?

David Gerard-2
Logo still at the bottom of https://request.network

- d.

On 28 April 2018 at 16:12, Nadine Le Lirzin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> First of all, thanks for reporting the issue. Impressive reactivity :)
>
> Then, sorry for the intempestive and unwelcome communication about this
> local partnership. The agreement is quite clear, it has been established by
> Wikimédia France (of course *not* in name of Wikimedia Foundation) and our
> partners are obviously *not allowed* to use any of Wikimedia projects
> marks.
>
> Today, Request Network updated their posts to clarify things and suppressed
> Wikipedia logo from their communication messages :
> — https://www.reddit.com/r/RequestNetwork/comments/8firkq/
> update_to_clarify_wikimedia_france_partnership/
> — https://blog.request.network/request-network-project-update-april-27th-
> 2018-partnership-with-wikimedia-woocommerce-plugin-c598372e9b58
>
> We updated our blog post as well, with an introductive warning :
> — https://www.wikimedia.fr/2018/04/27/wikimedia-france-
> annonce-partenariat-fondation-request-network-accepter-
> donations-crypto-monnaies/
>
> After the week-end and labor day (1 May), we are expecting that all
> occurrences of this misunderstanding have disappeared.
>

> Nadine Le Lirzin
>
> *Secretary of the Board*
> *Wikimédia France *

> > Definitly confusing.
> >
> > See also this : https://blog.request.network/r
> > equest-network-project-update-april-27th-2018-partnership-
> > with-wikimedia-woocommerce-plugin-c598372e9b58
> >

> > Florence
> >
> > Le 27/04/2018 à 15:49, geni a écrit :
> >
> >> According to their twitter feed they have announced a partnership with
> >> something called the "Request Network‏" for cryptocurrency donations.
> >> Also this article here
> >>
> >> https://www.wikimedia.fr/2018/04/27/wikimedia-france-annonce
> >> -partenariat-fondation-request-network-accepter-donations-
> >> crypto-monnaies/
> >>
> >> Ok. I don't approve but I'm not french so not its not an area where I
> >> can reasonably expect anyone to pay any attention to my opinions.
> >>
> >> What concerns me is that they have retweeted something claiming the
> >> partnership is with the wikimedia foundation rather than just
> >> wikimedia france:
> >>
> >> https://twitter.com/wikimedia_fr?lang=en
> >>
> >> Is some form of clarification possible?

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Does anyone know what wikimedia france are up to with the Request Network ?

Nadine Le Lirzin
Ok, thanks David,

nll

> Logo still at the bottom of https://request.network
>

> - d.
>
> On 28 April 2018 at 16:12, Nadine Le Lirzin <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > First of all, thanks for reporting the issue. Impressive reactivity :)
> >
> > Then, sorry for the intempestive and unwelcome communication about this
> > local partnership. The agreement is quite clear, it has been established
> by
> > Wikimédia France (of course *not* in name of Wikimedia Foundation) and
> our
> > partners are obviously *not allowed* to use any of Wikimedia projects
> > marks.
> >
> > Today, Request Network updated their posts to clarify things and
> suppressed
> > Wikipedia logo from their communication messages :
> > — https://www.reddit.com/r/RequestNetwork/comments/8firkq/
> > update_to_clarify_wikimedia_france_partnership/
> > — https://blog.request.network/request-network-project-
> update-april-27th-
> > 2018-partnership-with-wikimedia-woocommerce-plugin-c598372e9b58
> >
> > We updated our blog post as well, with an introductive warning :
> > — https://www.wikimedia.fr/2018/04/27/wikimedia-france-
> > annonce-partenariat-fondation-request-network-accepter-
> > donations-crypto-monnaies/
> >
> > After the week-end and labor day (1 May), we are expecting that all
> > occurrences of this misunderstanding have disappeared.
> >

> > Nadine Le Lirzin
> >
> > *Secretary of the Board*
> > *Wikimédia France *

> > > Definitly confusing.
> > >
> > > See also this : https://blog.request.network/r
> > > equest-network-project-update-april-27th-2018-partnership-
> > > with-wikimedia-woocommerce-plugin-c598372e9b58
> > >

> > > Florence

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Does anyone know what wikimedia france are up to with the Request Network ?

Nadine Le Lirzin
Hi all,

Update on the topic.

Since Request Network were so slow and reluctant to change their delusive
communication into a fair and clean information, Wikimédia France broke the
agreement with them. Thus, this partnership is over.

We deleted our blog post about it. And we keep on trying to obtain the same
from Request Network (who are turning a deaf ear until now).

Once again, sorry for the noise and thanks for alerting us,

Nadine Le Lirzin
*Secrétaire du conseil d'administration*
*Wikimédia France*

*Post-scriptum:* no other cryptocurrency donations project is planned ^^'

> Hi all,
>
> First of all, thanks for reporting the issue. Impressive reactivity :)
>
> Then, sorry for the intempestive and unwelcome communication about this
> local partnership. The agreement is quite clear, it has been established by
> Wikimédia France (of course *not* in name of Wikimedia Foundation) and
> our partners are obviously *not allowed* to use any of Wikimedia projects
> marks.
>
> Today, Request Network updated their posts to clarify things and
> suppressed Wikipedia logo from their communication messages :
> — https://www.reddit.com/r/RequestNetwork/comments/8firkq/up
> date_to_clarify_wikimedia_france_partnership/
> — https://blog.request.network/request-network-project-
> update-april-27th-2018-partnership-with-wikimedia-
> woocommerce-plugin-c598372e9b58
>
> We updated our blog post as well, with an introductive warning :
> — https://www.wikimedia.fr/2018/04/27/wikimedia-france-annon
> ce-partenariat-fondation-request-network-accepter-donations-
> crypto-monnaies/
>
> After the week-end and labor day (1 May), we are expecting that all
> occurrences of this misunderstanding have disappeared.
>

> Nadine Le Lirzin
>
> *Secretary of the Board*
> *Wikimédia France *

>> Definitly confusing.
>>
>> See also this : https://blog.request.network/r
>> equest-network-project-update-april-27th-2018-partnership-wi
>> th-wikimedia-woocommerce-plugin-c598372e9b58
>>

>> Florence
>>
>> Le 27/04/2018 à 15:49, geni a écrit :
>>
>>> According to their twitter feed they have announced a partnership with
>>> something called the "Request Network‏" for cryptocurrency donations.
>>> Also this article here
>>>
>>> https://www.wikimedia.fr/2018/04/27/wikimedia-france-annonce
>>> -partenariat-fondation-request-network-accepter-donations-cr
>>> ypto-monnaies/
>>>
>>> Ok. I don't approve but I'm not french so not its not an area where I
>>> can reasonably expect anyone to pay any attention to my opinions.
>>>
>>> What concerns me is that they have retweeted something claiming the
>>> partnership is with the wikimedia foundation rather than just
>>> wikimedia france:
>>>
>>> https://twitter.com/wikimedia_fr?lang=en
>>>
>>> Is some form of clarification possible?

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Does anyone know what wikimedia france are up to with the Request Network ?

James Salsman-2
Hi Nadine, thank you for this update.

Does the French Chapter have a position on replacing bitcoin mining
with foldingcoin (http://foldingcoin.net)? I hope that all Wikimedians
will oppose the wasteful consumption of electricity when useful
alternatives exist.

Best regards,
Jim

On Mon, May 28, 2018 at 7:50 AM, Nadine Le Lirzin
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Update on the topic.
>
> Since Request Network were so slow and reluctant to change their delusive
> communication into a fair and clean information, Wikimédia France broke the
> agreement with them. Thus, this partnership is over.
>
> We deleted our blog post about it. And we keep on trying to obtain the same
> from Request Network (who are turning a deaf ear until now).
>
> Once again, sorry for the noise and thanks for alerting us,
>
> Nadine Le Lirzin
> *Secrétaire du conseil d'administration*
> *Wikimédia France*
>
> *Post-scriptum:* no other cryptocurrency donations project is planned ^^'

>> Hi all,
>>
>> First of all, thanks for reporting the issue. Impressive reactivity :)
>>
>> Then, sorry for the intempestive and unwelcome communication about this
>> local partnership. The agreement is quite clear, it has been established by
>> Wikimédia France (of course *not* in name of Wikimedia Foundation) and
>> our partners are obviously *not allowed* to use any of Wikimedia projects
>> marks.
>>
>> Today, Request Network updated their posts to clarify things and
>> suppressed Wikipedia logo from their communication messages :
>> — https://www.reddit.com/r/RequestNetwork/comments/8firkq/up
>> date_to_clarify_wikimedia_france_partnership/
>> — https://blog.request.network/request-network-project-
>> update-april-27th-2018-partnership-with-wikimedia-
>> woocommerce-plugin-c598372e9b58
>>
>> We updated our blog post as well, with an introductive warning :
>> — https://www.wikimedia.fr/2018/04/27/wikimedia-france-annon
>> ce-partenariat-fondation-request-network-accepter-donations-
>> crypto-monnaies/
>>
>> After the week-end and labor day (1 May), we are expecting that all
>> occurrences of this misunderstanding have disappeared.
>>

>> Nadine Le Lirzin
>>
>> *Secretary of the Board*
>> *Wikimédia France *

>>> Definitly confusing.
>>>
>>> See also this : https://blog.request.network/r
>>> equest-network-project-update-april-27th-2018-partnership-wi
>>> th-wikimedia-woocommerce-plugin-c598372e9b58
>>>

>>> Florence

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Does anyone know what wikimedia france are up to with the Request Network ?

Alphos OGame
Hello,

I'm but a simple member of Wikimedia France, but I trust the Post Scriptum
by Nadine was clear on the matter : "no other cryptocurrency donations
project is planned". And yes, I believe that includes Foldingcoin.
Personally, I'm fond of Folding@Home, I've even given more than my fair
share of processing time to the project some time ago ; but I don't need to
receive hard cash in return - especially when it's neither hard nor cash.
Whether you like it or not, it does waste electricity when an alternative
exists : the old way of having people pay dimes for a wee bit of
electricity to calculate protein folding instead of the new way of
performing copious calculations for the blockchain and a few cheap protein
foldings on the side.
It doesn't matter what the end goal is, even as laudable as F@H : a
blockchain is and always will be calculation-expensive, thus a waste of
electricity, by its very design. And Foldingcoin still relies on it.
Please don't be "that guy", and stick to F@H rather than push for FLDC.

Roger / Alphos